Ginger - Cover

Ginger

Copyright© 2015 by happyhugo

Chapter 9

Ginger's prom was coming up. Mom was back from her honeymoon and relieved that Ginger had been okay staying alone while she was away. Immediately Mom went about getting a gown for her to wear. I was a party to all what went on because Maria, Ginger, and I were a triangle connected by the internet.

Benny Eden was Ginger's escort of record. He was taking her and knew he would be dancing constantly with others of their classmates. He planned on having his own girlfriend coming too, knowing in the large crowd no one would think anything of which girl he was squiring.

I wanted so to hold Ginger in my arms, I schemed to be there. It was Lenora who made it happen. She called me on Wednesday. "Pete, Fernando is traveling to Minneapolis Friday morning. He is only staying the night, returning late Saturday. Would you like to see your fiancée in her prom dress?"

"Lenora, you're a sweetheart. I love you."

"This time Pete, I didn't arrange the flight only for you, but I did know you would love to see your girl all dressed up. Fernando will pick you up at your motel room early and you will be seeing Ginger in a few short hours from then." I couldn't thank Lenora enough.

I knocked on Mom's door about eleven that morning. "Pete, what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see Ginger before she went to the prom. Fernando had to come for a meeting at headquarters. I have to go back tomorrow afternoon. What time is Benny picking her up?"

"He's coming here about four. They have a dinner date at six. His regular girl friend, Freda, is going to dinner with them. When the dance begins Benny will escort Ginger in and then skin out to get Freda. I wish you could get into the dance."

"I will somehow. I'll talk to Benny when he gets here and we'll figure out something. If I can't get inside, Ginger and I will dance on the patio. I've dreamed of her in my arms."

I was able to lie down after lunch and go to sleep. I heard voices when I awoke. It was two girls laughing. Then I heard Benny's voice too. Mom said, "Ginger, it is time you were getting dressed. You had better take a shower. Be careful you don't mess up your hair."

"Okay, Harriet. Oh, I wish Pete was here."

She was talking over her shoulder as she came into the room. Ginger was shucking her top. When it came over her head, she was staring right at me about three feet from where I was sitting on the bed. I had my arms open and Ginger came into them. I was smothered with kisses while Ginger was screaming, laughing, and crying all at the same time. The door opened and Freda, whom I didn't know, was looking at us. Mom was laughing and Benny was laughing. Mom had told him I was here.

Ginger shoo'ed everyone out. I watched my love get ready for her shower, as I explained how I was able to be here. "Pete, you're going to be here for the weekend aren't you?"

"I have to leave at noon tomorrow. I get to take you to the dance tonight and to sleep with you afterward."

"Great, Freda will be so pleased. She wasn't at all happy having to share Benny with me. I know who the chaperones are, so we won't have any trouble getting you in. Pete, please talk to Benny. If you stay here I might decide to skip the dance entirely. Tell me aren't I tempting you just a little?" Of course she was. She was talking to me without a stitch of cloth on.

I didn't see Tony because he was working. Mom and Freda went in to get Ginger dressed. Freda had her dress with her. When they both came out they were sparkling beautiful. Before this, Benny asked me if I ever saw Maria.

"I see her occasionally. She helped me pick out some furniture recently."

"I think about her sometimes. She is one hot chick. You must be tempted."

"I'm not, although I agree she is a lovely person." Benny had called ahead and had the table reservation changed to two couples instead of for the three seats he had reserved previously.

When it came time, I waited until last to order. I asked the waiter, "Do you have hotdogs and spaghettios?" This cracked Ginger up and she burst out laughing for she remembered serving me this the night we met. Light was shining in her eyes. We were just so happy to be together.

When we reached the hall where the dance was being held, Ginger introduced me to her friends as her fiancé. The band was tuning up and I looked at all of the young ladies in their gowns. I looked over to where the chaperones were gathered. I remembered Mrs. Rosenburg, one of my math teachers. As all women do, Ginger and her friends headed to the powder room, leaving me at the punch table.

Benny and I stood there, just waiting for our dates to return. "Peter Brown?"

"Hello Mrs. Rosenburg."

"Peter, are you here as a chaperone or as a teacher? The crowd is so big I didn't see you come in."

"Neither. I'm dating one of this year's students. We are to be married the first of next month. I live in California and had a chance to be here for the dance."

"Which student?"

"Ginger Adams, do you know her?"

"I do. Ginger's desk is in my home room. She has been like a rose bud opening up and blossoming into a beautiful flower. I have never seen a young girl change so much in just one year. It must be you who has been the cause."

"I don't think so. She was a troubled girl when I met her. I really haven't seen that much of her. My mother was troubled as well. I think I would have to give mother most of the credit. I will say every time we see each other we have recognized we were meant for each other."

"You know you may be dating royalty. She is one of the nominees for Prom Queen tonight. So Pete, are you employed and doing what?"

"I am. I became an architect and I'm working at it. I have two projects I am involved in. One is a church building and the other is a replica of an English Abbey. The owner is having the Abbey constructed to house a pub and a fine dining room with dancing in both. It will also house a bakery, a winery and a brewery. I was sent to England for two months last year researching what the old monasteries were like back in the eleventh century. It has a dream job for me."

"That is exciting. Ginger will be with you?"

"She is going to a culinary institute which is near our home learning to become a bread and cake baker. The owner of the Abbey has promised her employment when she graduates." I looked up and Ginger was coming toward me. "Here she comes now."

Ginger stood talking with Mrs. Rosenburg until the band began playing a waltz set. We made our excuses and we whirled away in each others arms. Ginger was popular among her classmates and danced every dance ... fast and slow. Most of the slow ones with me. "Ginger, you are the most beautiful woman here this evening."

"Thank you Pete, it is you who makes me glow." I just hugged my love a little tighter.

It was right after the bands intermission when there was a drum roll to get everyone's attention. The class president was ready to announce the king and queen who had been chosen to fill the court. Four boys and four girls slowly gathered on the stage where the band was set up. The Third Prince and Princess were named. The group shuffled until those two stood side by side. Ginger was named First Princess and a boy made his way to her. The attention was on the remaining boy and girl and they were crowned King and Queen.

These two made their way out onto the dance floor as the music started up. Ginger's partner and she made their way to where I was standing. Along the way another girl joined them. This was the first Prince's girl friend. Ginger came into my arms as I said, "You should have been Queen. You were easily the most beautiful."

"I made sure I wouldn't be. I told everyone I would abdicate if chosen. You're my King now and forever. The girl who won was a friend of the class president. I might not have won anyway."

"I'll always think you would have."

"That's my King." We made our way over and I was introduced to the King and Queen. We exchanged partners for the next dance. Ginger and I danced a couple more rounds and then we made our way to the exit. Benny ran up to me and I shook his hand thanking him for being on hand to squire Ginger if I hadn't been able to make the dance. We left and made our way home.

We were soon cuddled in bed. What a wonderful feeling to hold the one you loved in your arms. Ginger had to tell me all about the plans for our wedding which were coming up in just a couple of weeks. We snuggled together and put off being intimate until morning.

Ginger prepared breakfast and then we went over to see Mom and tell her what a great time we had at the prom. Tony had the day off so I had a chance to talk to him. This was the first time I had seen him since he and Mom were married. He was a little worried about how to act at our wedding and I assured him not to worry. He had met Fernando and Adoria. Fernando's mother, Lenora would see that he was comfortable.

Too soon I had to meet Fernando at the airport and leave my sweetheart at the gate. Not much longer and we would be together all of the time. It couldn't happen soon enough for me. A long distant relationship sucked.

I was quiet and pensive sitting next to Fernando. "How was the prom, Pete?"

"All that we could have asked for. Ginger was in the queen's court. I truly believe she would have been queen if she hadn't warned the judges she would abdicate. Needless to say she was greatly surprised I was able to come and be with her. Thank you Fernando, for taking the trouble to make it happen."

"Yes, well, Mother suggested it to me. You've picked a wonderful woman for a wife. Now if Maria can do as well in picking a mate as you two have for each other, my sister will be ecstatic. I understand Maria is going to the same school as Ginger. Maybe Ginger can continue to watch her back."

"Maria has matured greatly since we've become acquainted."

"I know. Actually I feel as if I have too. Well I had meetings all morning so I'm going to see if I can nap a little."

"Me too."

Fernando dropped me off at my motel. This was the weekend that Maria and her mother were going to help decorate and organize the small apartment. It had to be done, but I'm glad I had the chance to take Ginger to the prom. I would have given up a lot more if I had to. The prom took precedent.

Work was picking up. I was told this happened every year. It had happened last year and that was what caused me to be taken on as an intern with the firm. A lot had happened in the last year. I had found not only love, but my lost sister as well. Who would have thought last year Mother would be married within a year? So much had changed and the best one was coming up soon!


Sunday morning Maria, Delores and Adoria appeared about ten. They had several boxes of kitchen utensils, towels for the kitchen and bathroom and even things like aspirin and mouthwash for the bath cabinet. I had brought most of the little items that I used in the motel with me before they got there. The stuff they brought was of a higher quality than mine, and told me I didn't need my old stuff so I dinged it.

To me name brand goods didn't mean that much to me and I had always purchased the store brands. The electric can opener and a new coffee maker I'll admit was very welcomed. When they left I stayed right there. Tonight would be the first night in my new home. I'd give up my motel room tomorrow at noon. The bed and other items I had ordered would be delivered here at three. I would get a half day of work in. So many details! At least the wedding was being taken care of by all the women involved.

I was going to sleep on the floor tonight on some blankets I had in my car. I laughed when still awake at ten, so uncomfortable I headed out to an all night mall that sold camping equipment. I came back and blew up the camping mattress. By midnight I was finally able to sleep.

The futon was delivered in one piece, but I had to put the bed together. I had everything in its place by eight that night. Tired, I went out for a meal. My cell rang when I was getting out of my car. "Pete, you haven't called. What have you been doing?" I explained how busy I had been and how tired I was. I promised I would call for a lengthy message tomorrow night because I knew how late it was for Ginger with the time difference.

I awoke fairly early and not wanting Ginger to wait for evening, I rang her before she was off to school. I had a warning for her about how busy I was in the office and that I would have to work some during the time I had planned on a short honeymoon.

"Pete, that's okay. I'll be with you every night and I want to furnish the house. I'll be busy too." There was a pause, "I wanted to ask you, are you feeling left out on planning the wedding? Marie and somebody call every evening about it and there seems to be some little change in plan every time. She tells me this is going to be the wedding of the century. I kind of wish we had just gone to the justice of the peace and had the rite performed."

"I know what you mean. Ginger, tell me though, aren't you glad your mother and father will be at the wedding? I know I'm happy that my mother and sister are going to be here."

"I am thrilled my family will be there for it. It is just that I want you all to my self."

"Three weeks from now by the time you begin classes you will have me as your own. Our home will be all furnished and together and you will be starting classes the following week. We will settle into a routine at that time. There will be other things we will have to take care of and we can do different things. Thinking back, since we first became intimate, do you realize that for at least half that time you and I have not spent that much time in bed ... or even together?"

"Are you complaining?"

"No, of course nor, but I want to do things and travel and see things. California is a big state and full of history. I imagine Lenora can fill us in on the history of her family. Won't that be interesting?"

"Pete, it will be fun to do things with you. I'd like to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. Is that possible?"

"I think so. I'll check into it. That is what I mean when I say we can experience things together. Broaden our horizons, so-to-speak. Someday I want to return to England and have you meet Jim Hughes and his wife Arlie. We can go and view the original Walsingham Priory that the Abbey is copied from while there. Some day, I'm going to send Jim a picture of us standing in front of this one that I helped build. He helped too and I'll certainly let him know how much. For now, it's off to school for you."

"One week left of High School and then I'll see you on Monday. We'll be married on Tuesday, June first. Pete I'm going to think about you all day. I'll call you this evening. Love and kisses."

"Love to you too, sweetheart."

We spoke every evening. Jack Gibbons, my mentor, finally gave me the promise that he would be best man. He asked if there was anything that he could do for me before the wedding. I couldn't think of anything right off. Would he contact Ginger to see if there was anything she needed doing? He agreed that he would and promised to be here two days early. I reminded him that Lenora Lopez would pick up the cost of his ticket. He informed me it wasn't necessary.


"Pete, we're in trouble and may not be able to get married. That is if my dad and Lenora can't get it straightened out. It is all because I'm a month too young."

This was a call from Ginger to my office. "What's the problem, sweetheart? I thought everything was covered."

"Pete, we need a California marriage license and Dad has to appear with me to apply for the license before the county clerk to verify that I have his permission to marry. Also we have to have pre marriage counseling and the paperwork that says I have permission has to be viewed. And last, we both have to appear before the county clerk together for the license.

"Ginger, it looks as if I have fallen down on my duty to you as your prospective husband."

"No, it was me. I said I would take care of everything."

"It doesn't matter who is responsible, but I totally forgot about the license and it would appear magically out of thin air. Do you think your father will be okay if you move in with me until we can get this straightened out?"

"I know he will. Next week I'm moving in with you married or not."

"No big deal then. Let me call Lenora and see if she has any suggestions."

"Thank you, Pete. I was too embarrassed when I thought of it last night to call or mention it to her. Oh I wish I was with you right now. I miss you so much."

"I miss you too. Next Monday we will be together. I love you. I'll call you this evening. Lenora will think of something."

I had barely hung up the phone when my desk light went on again. "Peter, this is Lenora Lopez calling. This is concerning your wedding plans. I do believe I have everything planned as to the order of when each step is to happen and the end of it will have you and Ginger walking out of the church as husband and wife."

"Lenora, I was just about to call you. Ginger just called all in a panic and I'm taking the blame for forgetting the most important part of us becoming husband and wife."

Lenora broke in, "You mean like getting the license to wed?"

"Yes, that. I don't know how I can get the license on time. All of the people will be here next week and if we don't have the license, it can't happen."

"Yes it can. I've arranged everything. You will be getting wed two days later than you planned, that's all. It will happen on Thursday of next week, not on Tuesday. I said I would arrange everything. This isn't the first time I have had to prevent a wedding disaster. My oldest son had the same thing happen.

"So, everyone will still arrive on Monday. Mr. Adams and Ginger will appear before a judge who is a friend of mine on Tuesday. That will be in his chambers at 9:00 a.m. I have already contacted Mr. Adams as to what he needs to convince the judge to grant the waver. In the afternoon, shortly after lunch, you and Ginger will meet a priest here at the villa and listen to him explain what it takes to be a compatible couple for the rest of your lives. I'm not sure how long this will take, but I was assured that it will be completed by dinner that evening.

"Ginger has all of the documents she needed to transfer to a different school a year ago so Harriet assures me. She will have them with her and you have your passport and your picture ID to present yourselves in the county clerk's office early Wednesday morning. That may take all morning because you go in and have to take a number. One of the clerks will issue the license as soon as they are satisfied that the documents are in order.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.