"Little" Sister

Copyright© 2015 by PocketRocket

Chapter 19: Holiday Cheer

By Halloween, we had a full time staffer (paid minimum wage) and half a dozen regular volunteers. One successful ploy was to offer space for quilting and craft clubs. Many of the participants were raised in rural areas. Some were Amish.

Our Amish connections in Pennsylvania were a big reason why we could afford even a minimum wage staff member. Young people on Rumspringa are supposed to pay their own way. However, their families want to keep in contact. We could help with that. As it became clear we were a good place to learn the ropes of the city, interest in the home community grew. In November, Evaine Schaeffelker took her place as Director. Both activity and support exploded. By spring, it was clear a permanent location was feasible.

Technically, I had nothing to do with the Beacon House project, except as a contracted consultant. The contract was for $1 a month and expenses. Everyone in the the General Court knew that I was supporting the project. In practice, I held the fort until Evaine could take over. After that I spent more time in Hanover working to get long term university involvement. In effect, we were shooting to coordinate a trifecta—initial construction and start up costs, University sponsorship and ongoing State funding.

The first element proved easiest. As expected, the Richards' Foundation matching funds primed the pump. Much of the support from Amish sources was in kind (goods not money), but an authentic Amish quilt can be worth $200. Canned produce sold at $50, or more, per twelve jar case. Our volunteers made cloth caps and gift cards for individual jars, which we sent for a $10 donation. Local churches held bake sales and other fund drives. By Christmas we had over $100,000 in hand, with pledges for that much again.

On another front, Dartmouth is the big name in New Hampshire higher education, but there are other colleges. Getting Ivy League schools to play nice with state colleges is always an issue. One of my hats was as goodwill ambassador to all of the other schools. The state's second largest college, Southern New Hampshire University, is in nearby Manchester. I had coordinated my summer research through them. In the state capital is Granite State College, which is part of the state university system. Though GSC primarily focused on online students, colleges could not get any closer. Both could provide local resources and manpower, if they were inclined.

In the halls of state government, Senator Robertson was marking time. She had votes lined up, but not enough of them. An actual building would be important, but a set of annual financial statements would be very helpful. We were waiting for the end of the year, to close the books. With all this as background, Morgan invited me to a holiday reception at the Governor's House.

I was not sure what to expect, but I would at least be able to meet Governor Russam and her husband. I had hopes for getting her support, because she was reputed to be an avid theater buff. She was also a Weld from Boston. Elspeth knew several of her cousins, a generation removed. I was not prepared for the possibility she knew of me, but when I was introduced her eyes lit up. She stepped forward to shake my hand.

Her exact words, "My Goodness, Adele didn't exaggerate. You really do make a statement. I love that top, but I cannot wear lavender. I'll have Jerome bring you by later, so we can sit and talk. Enjoy the party." With that, she turned to her next guest, while a dozen heads turned toward me.

I have never been able to hide. Even as a child, playing hide and seek, I was the one everyone found. Part of it was clumsiness. Part of it was being bigger than everyone else. While it occurred to me that a low profile might be helpful, I made no attempt to escape attention. Instead, I made sure my phone was recording, then pressed as much flesh as I could manage.

I knew what crowds could be like. If you spend time with Francine Martel or Jason Porter, you understand that people will just walk up and start talking. This was the first time I was the person they wanted to see. Such is the power of the Governor's attention. I recalled the reception at Civitano's and did my best to cope.

Most of the interest was simple curiosity. If the Governor was interested, so were all the groupies. Their interest might have waned, but someone recognized me from a wedding picture. Did I mention the full page article in Unique Bride magazine? That article had two pictures, both in a suit. The larger picture was of me in the morning coat and top hat. The smaller photo showed me in a suit very similar to the one I was wearing.

Once fashion was in play, there was no escape. Before long someone found the picture with the sealskin coat. Another found my two graduation pictures. Talk about before and after. When someone found the one with Angela Molinari and Edith Dryden, followed quickly by one of me with Francine, I was an instant celebrity. Someone asked if I had seen Hard Time. I forgot to be coy and mentioned the special showing. Someone said, "Oh My God. I was there."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.