5 - Clan Amir: The Falcon in Flight
Chapter 01

Copyright 2007 by Ernest Bywater as Ernest Edwards

The Falcon in Flight

Rebuilding the Clan

Gerry Mannheim

After the Day of Blood Gerry must take on responsibilities many adults would baulk at. A teenager who now has a higher understanding of his own capabilities and powers. It’s time for him to step up to lead his country and people into the future. He knows the legends and he has often wondered if he could live up to them. Now he wonders how far they’ll take him, and he’ll take them. As the power behind the throne he must continue to direct the country from the shadows until the clan has recovered enough to take on their enemies directly. But how long can he stay hidden from their enemies when so many people know the truth about him? How will they keep it from their enemies? The time has come for the Great Falcon to stretch out his wings in full flight in order to best serve his people.


Late 2008

So many of the clan dead, so many empty rooms, so few to carry the burdens of the clan. The whole country is still reeling under the shock of the attacks and the grief weight of their dead. Especially the Amiri tribe and the Amir Clan most of all, much more than any other tribe or clan. The Amiri has the highest percentage of members serving in the Royal Guards and the Amir Clan has the highest percentage of adult members as serving Guards. Although the Guards’ losses weren’t high the Amir and Amiri losses were higher than the others because they had the highest percentage of members in the units involved. Also, due to the attacks on the Amir since the Second World War the Amir Clan has the least adults in the Amiri tribe, while seventy years ago they had the most adults. The attempts by the Generals to wipe them out, and the losses in the various attacks since then, have taken a heavy toll. However, the heaviest single day’s toll is that of the Day of Blood, just two weeks ago.

In December, 1945, the Amir Clan had over one thousand three hundred adults and just over two thousand children. In January, 1949, they were down to one hundred adults and forty children, most were killed by the Generals and their troops. In December, 2001, there were seventy-three adults and fifty-one children, most of whom weren’t in the line of succession and not eligible for senior positions within the clan. By June, 2008, forty-four of the children reached adulthood and over two thousand new children were born, all under five years of age. The clan is growing again, and it will soon be restored to its previous strength. Only four adults and a child died during the period. Of the one hundred and thirteen adults, six children over five years of age, and over two thousand children under five years of age who were alive on the morning of the Day of Blood fifty-five adults, one ten year old child, and a five year old child are killed that day. Leaving alive fifty-eight adults and over two thousand children. All of the dead are close family, but thirty-three are from the line of succession. Of those still alive only ten adults and the bulk of the children under five years are born to the Royal line. These include eight adults who aren’t eligible to take the throne for various reasons. The Clan is all but non-existent as regards adults. Only two members of the most direct line are eligible to take the throne, with a veritable horde of children under five years of age as the next eligible monarch. Not a pretty situation for the clan to be in.


Note: The figures above include only those born or married into the clan; but doesn’t include concubines, slaves, or employees working within the residence. It does include any children born to concubines, slaves, or casual partners with a parent who is a member of the clan.


The situation is much worse for the Amir Clan than most would think because the majority of the clan members involved in running the government are now dead. Only Francine, Harold, Carly, Robert, Nealla, Isobelle, Vicky, and Gerry have any experience in running the government; and Harold isn’t what he was, due to his head injury. Include the disruption to the Parliament because most of its members were arrested for treason and you’ve some major management issues! Plus all of this while they’re dealing with their own grief and fixing their home affairs to cope with so few adults. So many children in need of love and support through their grief as well as basic caring. It’s a very heavy load for them. Especially for Gerry, the Clan Father responsible for all of the orphans as well as being the regent, the acting head of the government of Berant and responsible for all the people of Berant.

Francine is unavailable while seeing to Harold’s care in the hospital, followed by his recuperation. The clan survives due to the hidden strengths of many of its members. Nealla takes over the administration and management of the Royal Palace, supervising the clerical staff while seeing it’s all done right. Erica takes on responsibility for managing the Palace public areas, coordinating public applicants, public relations activities, and tourists. Carly and Robert are the official faces and spokespeople interacting with all the Ambassadors and media. When Harold recovers they continue in much of this work after he takes the throne. Meara takes on responsibility for running the clan residence and caring for the children. Gerry is responsible for making all of the political policy decisions and for directing the management of the country. Isobelle, Vicky, and Deanna help out where and when they’re needed, thus they spend a lot of time working with Meara, Nealla, and Gerry.

It’s a very busy time for everyone, especially Gerry, and by the end of October he’s extremely appreciative of Meara’s organisational skills. Although he’s still not exactly sure how she came to organise for Deanna Chektar to become his concubine, or found time to organise his wedding to Vicky, and both are very useful additions to his extended family, in many ways.

By the end of November, 2008, things are starting to settle back down into more reasonable routines. Meara has hired a lot of extra staff to work in the residence as cooks, cleaners, etc.; but most are as child carers; and many of them are retired Guards. The allocated slaves from the attack also help in caring for the children and the residence. Slowly the town, country, clan, and tribe return to as normal a life as best as they can.

Needing to rebuild the governmental management team Gerry must let many of his older responsibilities sort of slide along with little attention from him. Luckily he’d set up good management teams for all of his regular responsibilities well before this. So all of his businesses keep operating well, though maybe not as well as they could’ve with his direct help. All of his usual official organisations have good command structures and do well.


February, 2009

Gerry is ready to start his final year of high school, he’d skipped the last two months of 2008 due to pressing responsibilities in sorting out the government and the clan as well as his normal responsibilities. Due to having watched him in action, and listening to the news reports, most of the students are now aware ’their Gerry’ is also General Gordon Mannheim, and they’re amazed by that. The majority have picked up on him being a member of the Amir Clan and are aware they’d suffered horrendous losses on the Day of Blood. They aren’t sure exactly how closely he’s related to the Royal Family, but they know he’s of the clan. Most of the students are ready to go on dealing with him in the usual manner, but a few aren’t because they just want to have his help to get ahead. When he comes across those students he just ignores them, and, after a short while, they give up trying to get over-friendly or get a rise out of him and they go back to their normal interactions.

One amazing thing is with the knowledge of Gerry’s links to the Amir Clan and him being General Gordon Mannheim becoming common knowledge within the school’s student population it doesn’t leak out into the general public or to foreign nationals. While the students don’t establish a routine of keeping the information quiet they simply choose not talk about it, so it doesn’t spread beyond the school.

The one thing that does cause a bit of a stir is the number of girls who’re interested in going out with him. He’s always been a popular boy, but now they know he’s a hero with a good salary as a military officer they become much more aggressive in seeking his company, and some have become positively predatory. Some back off a bit when he makes it public knowledge he’s prepared to take them out on the town provided they’re prepared to end up in his bed to actively work at getting pregnant so they can help him rebuild the clan. He made that public knowledge amongst the student population on the advice of Meara after he sought her help on dealing with the constant crowd of girls following him around. He expected the crowd to vanish, it shrank, but he still ends up dating and sleeping with most of the senior girls. Meara gets a lot of entertainment out of watching him deal with them, because he isn’t used to such aggressive females.


Note: All of the girls concerned do end up pregnant. Gerry pays their medical bills and he gives them an allowance from the time the pregnancy is confirmed until after they leave the clan residence following the birth of the child. Many choose to live in the residence during and following their confinement, thus providing more bodies to help look after all of the children. Some of them end up staying on in various capacities while others leave the children with the clan to take up their studies after a break. None ever show any regret at being involved with Gerry.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.