Living Beyond the Day - a P&P Story - Cover

Living Beyond the Day - a P&P Story

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 9

Wednesday, the twenty-eighth, arrived. We left early for Ellijay to plan out the final details of our meeting. On the way, we talked again. We would wear our pistols. Pat and Dad would have shotguns slung over their arms. My rifle would handy. Dad would be the doorman. The only concern we had was a large group of men coming into the restaurant. Dad would have to use his judgment as to what constituted a large group.

In our plan, Pat and I would open the meeting with a short statement and let people chime in. We didn't have a specific agenda other than getting to know the survivors in the area. Power was gone but there were plenty of windows. Tom and Linda were two of the first ones there. Dad asked them to watch the road for drive-by shooters. There was no reason to expect anything like that but preparation was better than being surprised. As people started to come in, I whispered to Pat, "I know there must be something we have forgotten but I don't know what."

She smiled at me. "You and Dad have done your best as have I. Whatever it is, all three of us missed it. Hopefully, it won't be a serious issue." We waited a few minutes past the starting time as people trickled in. I rapped on the counter. "Ladies and Gentlemen! Thank you for coming. We all are survivors. We all have lost people. I am Mark Dillard and this is my wife, Pat. We had known each other before the Day but met again after the Day by accident. I'm glad and she tolerates me. That's my dad, Dan Dillard, at the door.

"If you all aren't a bit nervous, I don't know why not. Since the Day, there have been no gatherings. We have fought off gangs in Dalton and Marietta. In both cases, we were incredibly lucky. One hope of ours for this group is to band together to dissuade bad guys from trying to hijack us when we go to Canton or Dalton. We haven't seen violence around here and I hope that remains true. On the other hand, it could happen if outsiders try to horn in on what each of us has established.

"I have talked enough. What do you want from this meeting? How do you see what you want working out?"

I leaned back against a counter behind the front counter. We had packed some frying pans and thick books under the counter in the hope of stopping bullets if bad things happened.

A woman spoke up. "I'm Cassie Mayfield. Do you plan on leading a group?"

I said, "I like democracy. Leadership should be votted upon by all. Also, I'm not sure I want the responsibility. We have enough to do to keep up our place."

A man said, "I'm George Sims. I would like to meet more people. It's been lonely and I would like to have people to talk to."

Another woman said, "I want to know when the power will be turned back on. Where are the police?"

I was surprised. Pat said, "Unless you do it, the power won't be turned back on. The police are mostly dead or, like us, just trying to survive. Things will 'never' be like they were before the Day. Get beyond it!"

A man to one side said, "It's everyone for themselves. I want to band together for some hope of protection against any crazies." There was a murmur of agreement at that statement.

Pat then said, "There are valuable skills that we all need, both now and in the future. We aren't doctors. I've never been sick and don't think I will be if I survived the virus. However, an accident could break bones or a gunshot could be fatal without good treatment. Someday, I want children. Who can help deliver babies? Who knows about pre-natal care? Who can teach children or do we plan to raise illiterate savages?"

She continued. "Yes. We have survived. I want to do more than survive. I want to live. I want to raise children to know their heritage, to have the advantage of an education, and to mature into persons I will be proud to claim as my children." She smiled grimly. "It doesn't take 'a community to raise a child.' However, it does take a community to hang on to civilization."

The buzz started again. A few people came up to talk to us or went to talk to Dad. We talked to folks but tried to remain watchful. I figured that this could turn into a volatile situation.

One guy came up to us eyeing Pat with lusty eyes. He looked like one of those about who stories are written by people who don't know the south There really are a few. He talked to Pat's chest ignoring me. He said, "We don't need all that crap. I'm living fine and I was before. My woman died but I'll find a new one soon."

Pat said, "Best of luck to you. My marriage is a source of constant joy to me. Mark is a very good man." His face betrayed his plan, such as it was. He started to draw a pistol when I pushed mine into his stomach and Pat's was suddenly pointed between his eyes. There was steel in her eyes and voice. "With your fingertips, pull your gun and place it on the counter. Do it very slowly. Your head will explode at this range and make a mess." He didn't listen and tried to move back and draw. He moved back when Pat's pistol made his face explode and my bullet folded him over. He was dead before his body landed on the floor.

Pat shouted, "I will not be taken! He tried it and paid the price. Is there anyone else who wants to die attempting rape?"

It was quiet for a long minute until Linda said, "Cave men are going to be an endangered species. We girls have learned the hard way to protect our bodies and our choices." The other women and many men clapped. No one looked at the dead guy.

His body was hauled out of the restaurant and left over to one side. From that point, we were talking about ways and means of working together. I moderated the meeting and things were working well. Tom said, "I want to offer a proposition. I nominate Mark and Pat Dillard as our Directors. They started this idea and have guided our meeting with an ability that far outstrips their years." People cheered and we were elected by acclamation.

I said, "As my first official act, I confirm my marriage to Pat. Are there others who wish their unions confirmed?" Tom and Linda were first in line and I immediately confirmed them. Five other couples were confirmed that day. As time would go on, that was one of our favorite duties. The meeting broke up with an agreement that we would meet here on the last Wednesday of each month. People left smiling and revitalized in purpose.

Dad joined us saying, "Congratulations! You two will do well. I'm proud of both of you." Tom and Linda were standing with us and smiled at his words.

Pat said, "Linda, Tom, what is your living situation?"

Linda said, "We're okay but it could be better."

Pat said, "The reason I asked is that we have two extra houses in our valley. We have power and could use some help on the farmland. Would you consider joining us?" I nodded as did Dad.

Linda said, "Tom and I would have to talk about it but I am inclined positively." Tom nodded and grinned at her. Linda looked relieved. "Let's try it."

Dad said, "Why don't you come with us and look things over? If you like it, then we can move what you want and you can move into your new home." They both looked positive.

We left shortly after that. Pat and I led in the Liberty and Dad rode with Linda and Tom. We arrived at the entrance and Dad and I cleared our barrier. After both vehicles went through, we replaced it. We got back in the vehicles and rode down to the first house.

Pat pulled up and everyone got out. She said, "There are two vacant houses. This is a three bedroom, two bath. The other is a two bedroom, two bath. We live in the middle house. We walked through the house with Linda and Tom. Then, we went to our house and showed them around it. Last, we went to the third house.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.