Yakima - Cover

Yakima

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

Chapter 14: Loose Ends

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 14: Loose Ends - Graham was blindsided by his wife, Reese, telling him she wanted a divorce to marry another man. After seventeen years, he was cast aside and needed help to get back on his feet.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Cheating  

I'd missed quite a bit of work thanks to my injuries and then my post-recuperative visits to Seattle. I had to press hard to catch up with the budgeting process that fall. Luckily, the city manager had allowed Frank to give me a hand and walk me through my first budget. I thought it would be a numbers exercise, but I learned quickly that politics was a big factor as well. What did the public want to know and what would they support. The opposite of that, of course, was politically dangerous and had to be "massaged." I had a lot to learn.

The budgeting was completed in late-November and presented to the city manager for his endorsement. It would then be move up the political chain to city council and, among other budget items, would be debated and hopefully passed. If it failed to gain council approval, it would be bounced back to me and we would go over it to see what we could do to make it more acceptable. I wondered what the chances of it getting through council might be. I was keeping my fingers crossed.

Ali was quite disappointed in Reese tendering her resignation for the end of the year. It wasn't a make-work position any more. Reese had proven her worth by organizing and cataloging all the cars and trucks in the used inventory and noting how long they had been on the lot. At some point, the units that didn't sell within a reasonable period of time would be moved off to wholesalers. It would mean a loss in profit potential, but money tied up on the lot was a cost all on its own. As a rule in business, the first loss is the best loss. Now Ali was faced with replacing my ex-wife and hoping to find someone as thorough and as dedicated.

"She didn't even stay a year," Ali complained one evening.

"I know. But, I can understand how she would be uncomfortable with working for you now. You are her replacement in her home. I'm sure that would have a psychological effect on her. It's best to look for someone to replace her in enough time to have Reese train them. She invented the system, so who's best to teach it?"

"I know you're right, Grime, but I wish she would stay. She's saved us a lot of cash with her management. She could go to school at night, or on the Internet. We'd even look after her tuition."

"Sweetheart, if you feel this strongly about it, talk to her. Tell her how you feel. Make sure she understands that we would never do anything to make her life difficult. Hell, haven't you and Kim and Miles proven that?"

Ali was nodding. "I've got to give it a go. I'll sit her down and give her my best sales pitch. You couldn't resist it, so maybe she won't either," she smiled.

"I'll leave it in your capable hands," I replied.


"Are you ready for this?" I asked my bride.

"I've been ready for this for years, my love. I know it's old hat for you, but this is a first time for me. Even if it's a civil ceremony, it's a big knee-knocker for this old girl," Ali said with a nervous smile.

Frank stood up for me, while Sharon Tremaine acted as witness for Ali. The two women had become quite good friends as they got to know each other during my recovery period. Kim, Miles, my parents, and all three children were present for the simple ceremony. We held it at Kim's house, and the reception would be there as well. The justice performing the ceremony was a friend and associate of Miles. It was over in a few short minutes and Ali and I were now officially man and wife.

I didn't feel anywhere near as nervous as Ali had. Perhaps because I'd once been through a formal wedding, or perhaps because we had been living together with our children for a few weeks. There were almost twenty friends and associates at both the ceremony and the reception afterwards. My new boss Soren and his wife Edith, Frank and Janet Martinez, Sharon and Don Tremaine, as well as a couple of friends of my parents and Kim and Miles. It was the perfect size group for the occasion.

Our honeymoon would be postponed for a few weeks until the budget was passed, but I already had plans for both Ali and the children. I had discussed it with Ali and I was pretty sure our three offspring would be both surprised and delighted with our choice. They would be going with us on a Caribbean cruise in early January. Matt and Jack would bunk together, Jess would have a separate cabin, while Ali and I would have our cabin. All the cabins would have an ocean view. A further surprise would be that Jess could invite Mindy to come with her. Mindy was an only child and had been friends with Jess since grade school. I had already cleared it with Mindy's parents, asking them to keep it a secret until Jess could invite her.

Miles had helped arrange the transfer of ownership on our house from joint to my name. I had an appraisal done independent of the one Reese was given when she put the house up for sale and it was close enough that I suggested we take the higher one and I would buy Reese's share at fifty-percent of that number. She quickly agreed. It still left me with a very nice sum in my investment accounts and, with both my salary and Ali's, we would have a substantial income for the household.

Kim, never the one to steal anyone's special day, quietly told us that she and Miles would be getting married in the spring. They had not set a firm date, but said it would be May of next year and both Ali and I were delighted and congratulated them. It would be made public at a future date, but was just between the four of us for now. I thought there was a perfect symmetry to the events of that special day. I felt good about my new family and I know they felt the same way about me.

It was two weeks later that Sharon announced a visitor to our office.

"Graham, there's a Mr. Graves to see you," she said over the intercom.

"Uh ... okay ... send him in," I said after some thought.

Sharon would never normally announce someone who didn't have an appointment and whom I'd never met. There must have been a reason. She opened my office door as I stood and ushered a young man in, closing the door behind him.

"Yes, what can I do for you?" I asked as I extended my hand to him in greeting.

"Uhhm, Sir, I'm Mark Graves. It was my truck that you hit when I backed out onto the street. I came to apologize."

I was completely taken aback. I had not recognized the name until he put a frame of reference around it. I looked at the young man. Tall, thin, some acne still visible, dressed reasonably well in slacks and a dress shirt, open at the neck. It took me a couple of moments until I could regain my wits.

"Have a seat, Mark," I said, wondering what I could say to the young guy.

"Sir ... I wasn't supposed to do this, but I felt really bad about the accident I caused. I wasn't paying attention and you got hurt really bad. The insurance guy said I shouldn't talk to you, but ... I needed to. I didn't mean for it to happen, but it did and I caused it."

I was still trying to collect my thoughts, but a feeling of relief was coming over me. Was this what I had been waiting for? I thought it was.

"Mark, I understand. I can tell you that afterwards I was quite angry that no one had apologized for what happened. I knew that either your lawyer or the insurance company ... or both ... wouldn't want you to say anything. They were trying to keep from having to pay out a lot of money. Well, that's over with now. The settlement is done and there isn't any more risk to you or them.

"So ... I guess what I want to say is ... thank you. Thank you for having the courage to come here and apologize. That took guts. If it's any consolation, I forgive you. I was never angry about you making a mistake, only that I couldn't get anyone to apologize for the pain and the other things that went along with it. Luckily, I have a great family and they really helped me with my recovery. I'm good now."

I saw tears trickling down the face of the young guy. I'm not sure if they were tears of relief or sorrow or ... what.

"Thank you, Mr. Rideout. I really appreciate that. I won't forget this ... and I won't make the same mistake again," he said, standing and extending his hand to me.

I shook it firmly and clapped him on the shoulder. I opened the door to my office and as he stepped through, he turned back to me.

"Congratulations on your marriage, Sir. I saw it in the paper and I knew I had to do this."

"Thank you, Mark. You made my day," I smiled. He had indeed made my day.


"He really did that?" Ali said in surprise. "He came to your office and apologized?"

"Yes he did. And it wasn't some half-hearted apology, either. I was impressed. I felt really good when he left. It was one of those anger things that I could finally put away for good."

"I'm so glad, Grime. I can see it had a big effect on you. I'm happy for you ... and me too. It's another thing that's gone right since the accident."

"So how did your meeting with Reese go? Were you able to change her mind?"

"No. She's set her mind to leaving. It's an emotional decision, Grime. I'm sure she's disappointed that you and she didn't get back together again. I know you told her that it wouldn't happen, but I'm sure she held out hope that you'd change your mind. She hasn't changed her mind to go back to school and get a business degree."

"Well, if she's that determined, I guess she'll probably make it. Knowing Reese, once she makes her mind up, it's pretty well set in concrete."

Ali giggled at my unintentional pun. "Your son wants to talk to you as well when you get a chance," she told me.

"Our son, Ali. Our son," I said with emphasis.

That brought another smile and a kiss. "Of course, Grime. Our son."

"Okay, do you know what it's about?"

"No, but it was something that happened at school today. I don't think it's a problem," she said, showing no sign of concern.

I made contact with Matt just before dinner. He was studying in his room.

"What's up, Matt?" I asked as I approached him.

"Coach Wilson from our high school baseball team came to see me today. He wants Donny and me to play for the team next spring. He said he really needed some better players and that we wouldn't be contending for the division title this year, but maybe next year. He said I'd be playing regularly if I played like I did in Babe Ruth."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.