Yakima - Cover

Yakima

Copyright© 2015 by Coaster2

Chapter 4: Showdown

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 4: Showdown - Graham was blindsided by his wife, Reese, telling him she wanted a divorce to marry another man. After seventeen years, he was cast aside and needed help to get back on his feet.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Cheating  

It took three weeks before we got a court date assigned, and that was for the end of September, seven weeks ahead. Seven more weeks that I was forced to live like a hermit in the cabin, visiting my son and daughter only on weekends. There was only so much I could do at work to keep me busy. That didn't help my attitude toward Reese.

The resumption of the school year would add some new tasks to my schedule, but I had the feeling that Frank and gone to some lengths to take some of my workload off me. I'm sure he felt he was helping me.

I suppose I should be grateful that Reese never made it difficult for me to have the kids for the weekend. Soccer was in full flight now and Jessica was totally involved. Matt had chosen to play football during his sophomore year at high school. He had turned sixteen in mid-August and I took him and several of his Babe Ruth baseball friends out to dinner to celebrate. I also gave him an iPad, which lit him up like it was the best present ever. I was well aware that I would have to do the same for Jessica on her birthday.

I was determined not to spoil the kids with presents or treats. I didn't want to get into a bidding war with Reese for their affections. I wanted things to remain as level between us as it was possible for me to control. Miles had indicated there would be an opportunity to have the children testify about their lives and living conditions since the separation and I wanted them to be as honest as they could. As far as I could tell, they still preferred to live with me, but I was in the disadvantageous position of no longer having a suitable place for them. That could be rectified and would be in the fall, but I needed to know what my economic fate was going to be before I spent any serious money on a condo or apartment.

As the date for our court appearance drew nearer, I could detect a growing nervousness in Reese. I'm not sure what she was expecting, but more than once she said we could put a stop to the proceedings if I agreed to negotiate. I would give her my standard answer; it was in the hands of my lawyer and I was following his advice. That wasn't the answer she wanted to hear.

When the day arrived, we were expected to be in family court room 4B at the courthouse by nine in the morning. We were first on the calendar and Miles smiled when he saw we had drawn Judge Willa Patriquin.

"Sometimes, all the pieces fall right into place," he said to me with smile.

I hoped that he was right because, like Reese, I was nervous.

We entered the courtroom and found it quite different that the ones you see on television. This was family court and while it was still a legal court, it was much more informal than the criminal court. The judge, a woman in her sixties I guessed, was not wearing a robe and there was no witness box, simply a slightly raised chair near the judge's desk. There was a court recorder and a man in a suit who acted as bailiff.

Miles and I were seated at a table on the left side, while Reese and her lawyer were seated on the right at a similar table. I looked behind us and saw a number of people scattered throughout the small area for spectators. I saw Gordon Winters sitting directly behind Reese, but there was no one else I recognized. If Matt and Jess were to be interviewed, it would be later in the judge's chambers. They would not be questioned by either lawyer.

Since Reese was the petitioner, she was called first to explain why she wanted the divorce. She looked and acted very nervous and several times the judge asked her to speak up. She was asked why she wanted the divorce and simply stated that she had fallen in love with another man and wished to marry him. Her lawyer, James Huggins, did not ask her any more questions.

Now it was our turn. Miles approached Reese and smiled.

"How long have you been married to Graham Rideout, Mrs. Rideout?"

"Almost eighteen years."

"Where they happy years?" he asked.

"For the most part."

"Only for the most part. Which part wasn't happy?"

"I didn't mean it that way. We had a good marriage."

"If that's the case, what caused you to fall in love with another man?"

"I ... I just did. I didn't set out to fall in love ... it just happened."

"When this divorce is granted, will you and this other man marry?"

"Yes."

"And will you live together?"

"Yes, of course."

"Where will you live, Mrs. Rideout?"

"In our house ... the one I'm living in now."

"Is the man you intend to marry in this courtroom?"

"Yes."

"Would you identify him, please?"

"Objection, your honor. Relevance," Huggins interrupted.

"Your honor, the gentleman in question is Mr. Gordon Winters and has been subpoenaed to testify. I am only asking to confirm his identity."

"Objection overruled," the judge said.

"Is Mr. Gordon Winters the man you intend to marry?" Miles asked Reese.

"Yes."

"Thank you, that will be all for now," Miles said, returning to our desk.

"I assume that is all that is planned for introduction," the judge said. "If so, I'll ask the petitioner to state their claim."

Huggins rose and walked to the judge, handing her some paperwork. He began to outline their demands for the settlement. Within fifteen seconds, Miles rose from his chair and said, "Objection, you honor. This statement of claim bears no resemblance to the statement handed to my client on August 3 of this year. I have here a copy of that document. You will see that it in no way mirrors the document you have been given by the petitioner."

I watched as the judge read the two papers and compared them. She then looked up and addressed Miles.

"Counselor, is this the only document that your client has received from the petitioner?"

"No, your honor. On August 10 of this year, he was served with a court order to vacate the premises where he had been living, the family home. Other than those two documents, no other legal items have be presented to him."

"I see. Mr. Huggins, would you care to explain yourself?"

"Ah, your honor, we ... the petitioner and I ... had attempted to open negotiations with Mr. Rideout. The original petition was just an opening position."

"Really," the judge said with a suspicious look. "Just a cursory glance at your demands from Mr. Rideout and he'd be answering any questions from the poor house. This document, on the surface of it, is outrageous in its demands. Small wonder they chose to ignore it."

"I apologize, your honor. It was not my intention to deceive the court."

"Yes ... I'm sure," she said with a hard look at Huggins. "Would you like to present your position, Counselor Hoffman?"

"Yes, thank you, your honor. As you are aware, we have subpoenaed Mr. Gordon Winters to testify in this matter. I would like to call him to the stand."

"Very well," the judge nodded. "Step forward, Mr. Winters."

Gordon Winters had a confused look on his face as he stood and worked his way to the witness chair. The clerk read him the oath and Miles stepped in front of our desk to begin his questioning.

"Mr. Winters, did you and Mrs. Clarissa Rideout indulge in an adulterous affair, bringing about this action for divorce."

Gordon looked around, hoping he didn't have to answer the question, but found no relief anywhere.

"Answer the question, Mr. Winters," the judge said quietly.

"Uhhm ... yes, we did."

"Whose idea was it for Mrs. Rideout to seek a divorce?" he asked in a strong voice.

"Uhhm, I guess it was mine."

"You guess?"

"It was mine," he admitted.

"Did Mrs. Rideout agree to divorce her husband right away? As soon as you suggested it?"

"No. I had to do some convincing," Winters admitted.

"How long did it take to convince her?" Miles asked.

"A month, maybe more," he answered in a nervous voice.

"How long had the affair been going on?"

"About six months."

"So, you knew Mrs. Rideout was married. I assume you knew she had two children at home, and that you were breaking up what once was a happy family."

"We fell in love. It just happened and we decided that we wanted to be together permanently," Winters said, this time a little more forcefully.

"Are you aware of the settlement demands Mrs. Rideout's lawyer placed on Mr. Rideout?"

"Yes. He ... Mr. Huggins ... went over it with us. He said it was just a starting position. It would force Graham ... Mr. Rideout ... to negotiate."

"How much money do you earn annually, Mr. Winters?"

"Objection, your honor. Relevance?" Huggins said quickly.

"Your honor, if Mrs. Rideout intends to marry and live with Mr. Winters after the divorce is final, then his income has a direct bearing on division of assets and spousal support."

"Agreed, Mr. Hoffman. Objection overruled."

"What is your annual income?" Miles asked once more.

"Uhhm ... I'm not sure. About a hundred thousand," he said uncertainly.

"Your honor, we subpoenaed Mr. Winters' employment compensation for the previous year. I have that here, authenticated by Ms. A. Bledsoe of Kimble Motors, Mr. Winters' employer."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.