Protection and Preservation, Book 09 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 09

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 9

[Charlie writes]

We stayed at Bordeaux only for the evening. No one left the planes. Andrea and I sat in the cockpit area holding each other lost in our grief. Late that night, Tomas led Bobbi to us. He said, "Let us return to Milan and bury them among friends. It is the better thing to do." He stopped for a moment. "Signor Charlie, you must lead us. Please take charge."

Bobbi said, "Brother, we need you functioning. Tomas is right. Take us back to Milan. Please, Charles, Andrea, we need you."

I looked at Andrea. I slowly stood. "We'll stay here for the rest of the night. In the morning, we fly back to Milan."

We left in the morning. Tomas radioed, telling them what happened. Marco had two caskets prepared. They had a man who was performing some priestly duties and would perform the burial service.

We buried my parents side by side in the church cemetery. SJ and Jacob were wheeled to the service. She was able to sit up. "Two of my parents died yesterday. God will hold them until their fellow spouses, children, and friends join them in the fullness of time. Remember the good times we had. They will live on in our hearts." She was holding one of my hands while Andrea held the other. On SJ's other side, Jacob held her other hand. Bobbi held his other hand as Tomas held her other one.

My other parents and siblings were simply in tears. In looking over the past stories, I noticed that Mom Pam didn't figure heavily but she was an important part of my parents' marriage and an important mother to her children. I told Andrea that our children would be named in memory of them. She nodded.

We informed our American communities of what happened and of the burial.

We stayed for five more days. Toward the end of that time, the debate began to decide whether or not we would continue on our trip. Finally, the expedition had a meeting to formally discuss the matter and make a decision.

The first announcement was from Mom Janice. "Regardless of the eventual decision to head home or to continue the expedition, I will no longer lead. I nominate Charlie and Andy to be our co-leaders. I will also not vote on the other decision but will abide by the will of the majority. Poppa Jack, you will be the chair until a new leader is voted upon."

He came forward and looked at Grandmother. She said, "I nominate Andy and Charlie as our co-leaders." Mom Janice seconded the nomination. There was no one else and we were elected by voice vote. Andrea was closest and I gave her a gentle shove forward.

Grandpop smiled at her and took his seat next to Grandmother. Andrea said, "We are back to the question of continuing the expedition or returning. When the question comes it will be continue or return rather than yes or no." I stood. "I recognize Charles."

I said, "Thank you, madam chairman." I grinned for a second. "I want to speak in favor of continuing our expedition. Over the years, we have been incredibly lucky to have so few injuries. I have heard my parents speak about this. We have no pressing need for hospital care to send us home like last time when Bobbi was wounded. This time, I recommend we continue.

"There is a curiosity in people that keeps them looking over the mountain and crossing the next river. I think we should go on. We will be more careful if we continue. I will draw up a plan for a more careful contact method in the future. We have learned a harsh lesson. I will never forget it. I am authorized to state that my sisters, Bobbi and SJ, support this position."

Poppa Jack stood and was recognized. "I will speak for returning. We have had good luck for many years of exploration. As we have wandered further away from our communities, the risks have become greater. I do want us to return to Europe and think we will. We have good friends at Reykjavik and here in Milan. We will be in touch with them and will return to share time with them in the future. I just think that now is not the time to finish exploring."

It was quiet. Andrea said, "Under our rules, the next person to speak should speak for continuing. However, I am not seeing anyone wanting to speak for either choice. Are you ready to vote?" She looked around. "Those in favor of continuing, please raise your hands." She counted. "Those in favor of returning, please raise your hands." She counted again. All three of my parents did not vote along with a couple of others. Andrea said, "A number of you did not vote. That means that you accept the will of the majority of those who did vote. That concludes the vote. We shall continue. Does anyone have a different proposal for our future activities?" She looked around. "Is there anything further that needs to be discussed?" She paused. "We will leave day after tomorrow in the middle of the morning. We are adjourned."

She came over to me trembling. "You rat! I thought you would lead this one!"

"No, for two reasons. One is that our group needs to know that we are co-leaders and, two, we were being watched closely by our hosts. They needed to see a woman in charge." I grinned. "Besides, you're much better looking."

"Charles, that's cruel. You will have to make love to me an extra time to make up for it." We looked at each other and laughed merrily.

Bobbi came up beside us and said, "I'm going to stay with SJ and Jacob. They still need help. Tomas and I will help Lois." She left holding Tomas' hand.

That night, we were alone in our room. Andrea said, "Charles, what have we gotten ourselves into?"

"The line, paraphrased, is 'Another fine mess, Ollie.' Seriously, we have had leadership thrust upon us by my mother."

"Why? Does she really think we're ready?"

"To answer the second question first, she thinks we're ready. Losing two of her spouses is probably harder on her than anyone knows. One of her children was injured, too. The reason why is that she's tired. Mom has been leading expeditions for many years. She didn't want to come on this one. I think she failed her own vote of confidence with Grandpop continually bumping her shoulder. My dads and other moms couldn't really do more than support her other than Dad Robby and his experience was limited to fighting. In the end, it didn't do him any good. They had no chance. The real worrisome factor is that neither Mom Mel nor I felt anything wrong. I want to talk to her more about that."

"Charles, now I'm worried."

"Don't be. I'm going to have a system. We have assumed that we were safe in the planes and at airports. That's a bad assumption. I will work on that and Mom Mel. You work with Major to get the planes ready.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.