Who Are You? - Cover

Who Are You?

Copyright© 2014 by Barneyr

Chapter 4: A Night Visitor

There was a small man or woman all in black and a ski mask. I said as I turned the light on, "I have a gun, and you had best not move."

Suddenly, the black visage was gone. It almost looked like a cartoon character had left in a hurry. I actually expected to see the motion lines in mid air as they disappeared from the room. Of course, they slammed into the door first, and then opened it and they were gone. I rang the nurse, but it was over fifteen minutes before a very groggy nurse came in rubbing her head.

"Yes, Mr. Morgan, can I help you?"

"I take it that someone either drugged you or hit you on the head from behind."

"They must have hit my head because it sure hurts."

"Let me see if there is any damage."

"Who is the nurse here Mr. Morgan?"

"Who is the injured party, Nurse ... ah ... Nurse... ?"

"Oh nurse Winslow, Carin Winslow."

"Okay, turn around and lean down so I can see if there is a gash. There is some dried blood but not a lot, but there is a really large goose egg back there. What's the number for security?"

"The number is 421 but there isn't anybody there at night."

"What no security at night? What kind of hospital is this?"

"We have Gerald during the day. He was a policeman until he was shot a few of times in the chest and legs. Now he just sits in the lobby and checks people in and out during the day."

I picked up my cell phone and dialed 911.

"911 what is your emergency?"

"This is Henry Morgan and I am at Providential Hospital and Nurse Winslow has been assaulted and has a pretty big gash in her head. There was also an attempt on my life as well, but the perpetrator has escaped. We need someone to come over and see to Nurse Winslow and maybe in the morning an officer can come over here and talk to me and Nurse Winslow about the attack."

"We have already been warned about you Mr. Morgan. Demanding to speak to the police and everything, now, please hang up and go to sleep."

"Give me one second and they tell me that again." Turning to Nurse Winslow, "Please tell them what happened."

Nurse Winslow started in on the 911 operator as I had the phone on the speaker. She read the riot act to her and then said, "And when do you think I can expect to see someone over here to look at my injury and take a statement about what happened tonight? Remember Joyce, who got you that job, so get busy and do it right, or you'll get fired from that job too."

"I take it; you know her?"

"Yeah we grew up together. My father got her the job and this is probably her twentieth job in the last ten years. She has the tendency to rub people the wrong way sometimes. However, what is this that they have been warned about you?"

I explained about trying to contact a police officer about my accident but having no luck.

"I don't understand. Why would you trying to get someone to talk to about your accident cause all this?"

"That is my question exactly? I have no idea why I am being hidden from the authorities or why everything is happening to me since I woke up." Right about then there was a commotion outside and I heard running feet. Suddenly, two officers entered the room like there was still someone with a gun in the room; you know the old duck and cover. Guns drawn, they suddenly flipped the overhead lights on and said, "Freeze Police, stay where you are!"

I said, "Don't worry officer, we are the victims and the perpetrator has already left the building; I assume since it was about fifteen minutes until Nurse Winslow came in here. I am pretty much confined to the bed as I am too weak to leave it."

Two more people rushed into the room about then. They were almost were shot by the police officers. They were the EMTs sent to take care of Nurse Winslow. For a while, it was a real cluster fuck until in strolled another gentleman with ruffled hair (what was left of it anyway) and a very sour face. He was dressed in rumpled pants and a shirt that had been buttoned with one button in the wrong hole so the whole shirt was rucked to one side.

"EXCUSE ME! Thank you. Now can someone tell me why I have been dragged out of bed at this time of morning?"

Everyone started trying to talk all at once again except for me.

"If you don't all shut up for a minute I will take all of you out back and shoot every damn one of you, so I can either get some coffee or go back to bed. Nurse, is there some coffee around here?"

"Yes sir. I have some out at the nurse's station. I bring my own pot and make it here. The machine coffee is worse than terrible."

"Good; you," he said pointing to the young cop. "You get me some coffee and hurry it up. Just for good measure, make it hot and black. Now for the rest of you sit down and shut up. I'm sorry Nurse ... ah?"

"It's Nurse Carin Winslow, Sir."

"Okay, you on the bed there, who are you, and can you tell me what the fuck is going on here?"

"Of course Sir, I'm Major Henry Morgan, retired. I heard someone sneaking into my room this evening; I surprised him and turned on the light over the bed. I told him that I had a gun and would shoot if he moved. He moved like a cartoon character, meaning he was here one second and the next he was diving out the door and was gone. I rang for the nurse and about fifteen minutes later Nurse Winslow came into the room holding her head. I looked at her head and she did have a substantial bump and some fresh blood. I dialed 911 and explained the situation. When asked who I was, I told the lady. However, someone at 911 has a grudge against me already and the lady told me to get off the line. Nurse Winslow next talked to the lady and you see the result. The officers came into the room with guns drawn and then damn near shot the EMT's when they showed up. That's about it Detective ... ah?"

"Detective Lieutenant Alan Carmody, Mr. Morgan. Thank you for the concise and enlightening explanation of the situation. I can see that there seems to be three calm people in this room, you, me, and Nurse Winslow. Now Nurse Winslow, have the EMT's had a chance to attend to your wound?"

"No Sir."

"Good, please go with the EMT's and go back to the nurse's station. I will talk to you in a minute. George, now where is that coffee? Okay, you and Greg go back to your cruiser and for God's sake, next time turn off those lights and lock the car. We don't need to advertise a problem at the hospital. Here are your keys, now go back to work and try not to shot anyone without a gun. Since I'm already here and up I might as well take all the statements. I will expect a full and complete report on my desk when I come in this morning. Hell if I thought I could get away with it, I'd curl up on one of these beds and sleep till sunrise at least."

"Lieutenant, feel free. I'm a light sleeper and if you leave me your Glock, no let me rephrase that, if I may borrow your Browning M1911 under your coat, I will ensure you get a good night's sleep. Well at least what's left of it."

"How did you know I'm a 1911 fan? Most cops today all carry Glocks."

"I think probably MP or AP; twelve to fifteen years of service until promotions were non-existent and then you got out and came back home. No, that's not quite right. Okay, let start again. Army Military Police got out at Fort Hood and looked for work. You had taken advantage of Uncle Sam's generous school help and got your degree in criminal justice, probably while you were still in. So I would say you retired at 20 and looked for jobs in the area. Nothing left at home having been gone too long. A couple of girl friends now, but nothing really serious ... they don't like your job, even though you rarely get involved with shootings except after the fact. You keep in shape with martial arts and running, but the hours you work also has something to do with you not having someone in your life. How am I doing Lieutenant?"

[MP = Military Police – Army & AP = Air Police – USAF BR]

"How would you like a job? I haven't seen or heard about someone that well with seeing and finding out about a person since I left the Rangers. You are an ex-ranger too, I can tell. Furthermore, I would say black ops as well. See I can read people too Henry. I'd say minimum twenty, maybe more, educated with probably several degrees, and you also work out and train just like you were still in. What do you do now?"

"I'm a roving project manager for large building or complex construction. I was on my way to Austin for a job in June, but ended up here instead." I then explained about my accident and the lack of concern or investigation. I also speculated about some of what I think happened and why. I told him if he asked Hector Lopez, he would be given the package I found in my luggage. I had him come to me, so I could whisper the password, and he nodded and walked back to the chair he had been sitting in since he settled with the coffee. He excused himself and said, "I'll be right back. I want to get Nurse Winslow's statement while it is still fresh in her mind. You, I don't have to worry about; your story will never change unless you can think of anything else."

I explained about the small man and his quick but furtive movements and gave a fair description of what I thought he looked like. He left and I fell asleep again. Several minutes later he came in again and I knew it was him because of his footsteps. I drifted off to sleep again and woke when the day nurse came in the room with breakfast.

"Good morning Mr. Morgan. How are we feeling this morning?"

"Shhh, I'm trying to let the Lieutenant sleep a little. He was up quite late last night." I whispered.

She turned suddenly realizing there was someone on the bed across from mine. "But there is not supposed to be anyone here but you. What should I do?" she asked quietly.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.