Remembrance of the Wood - Cover

Remembrance of the Wood

Copyright© 2014 by Tamalain

Chapter 1

At the western edge of the Greater Faydark Valley and Forest there lay the small town of Upper Pass. It's named that as that is where it had grown from a tiny hamlet to a small town of nearly a thousand residents. Upper Pass sets at the eastern edge of a far-reaching mountain range stretching far to the north and all the way to the sea in the south several hundred miles away. The trade caravans could use this road in the summer months as it was the shorter route, but snow would block it in the winter.

It is a typical Elven town really. There are tanners, leather workers, woodworkers, and metal shops, Tailors and Cobblers, Farmers and cooks. The market sells just about all the items that the town's residents could need. The school is the best on the western edge of the Faydark; the old Elven man called Elder runs it. Once an alchemist and general magic caster, he retired and took up the mantle of the teacher of children. The Woodworkers, it has been said are the best in all of the Faydark, the Green Brothers, Heart, and Stave.

The Elven of the Greater Faydark, called the Wood Elven, are smaller than the tall humans, who would come by to trade cloth and tools, larger than the short bearded Dwarfs that traded metals for food and wood supplies. The Elven are slight, with sharply back pointing ears, with hearing sharper than any other race of Norrath.

The main road that crosses the Greater Faydark is well maintained and kept clear by the local tree harvesters. Much of the road is wide and clear with a hard gravel bed to prevent ruts from the many carts that travel on it. Axemen Arrowmark, a master at being able to see that a tree will cause trouble later in time, leads the western teams. The sale of the cut wood keeps Axemen, and his crew fed and the wood needs of the community met. Another duty of the road crew is to try to clear the snow from the roads to keep the Pass open as long as possible during the cold winter months.

The Elven High Council in the Great tree City of Kelethin insures the safety of travelers by having a guard outpost at the border to the Butcherblock Mountains. The duty of the guards that have been stationed at Upper Pass are to insure the area around the pass stays clear of rogues, bandits and other assorted riff raff that tended to haunt the remote parts of the Greater Faydark forest.


It is a warm spring day at the town's park when four-year-old Tama looked up at her mother who is sitting on one of the stone bench's. She would bring Tama here to be with other children, to mingle and play together in safety. "When will papa be coming home mama?" little Tama asked her mother.

Willow Arrowmark reached down and rubbed her daughters copper red hair, "He will come home when they finish clearing the deadfall off the main road that leads to the Combine Spires Tama. The four big curved towers that allow people to go to far places, do you remember that?"

Tama cocked her head to one side as if thinking about then smiled, shaking her head yes, then she saw several butterfly's around some wild flowers and ran off chasing after them. To be so young again thinks Willow. She watched as her daughter laughed and played when several more children arrived with their mothers in tow. They played the games all children have played through the ages when time permitted. Chase, hide and seek, tag, all the fun they knew they could have was with a few simple things to help pass the time.

One of the older boys had found he was able to climb the lower branches of the small trees in the park. When he found a nest in this particular tree, Tama told him the mother bird was very upset with him and wanted him to go away. The mother bird made her point by swooping at his head and screeching loudly at him. Once he had climbed down, the mother bird returned to her egg sitting, keeping a watchful eye on the nosy boy. Normal children's play was able to resume.

After playing and running around for a while this day, Tama noticed some funny marks on the sand that led off to one side of the park. She followed them and discovered a mouse nest under a bush at the parks edge. Like the boy, she left the nest and baby mice inside alone. After that day, she found she could follow tracks anytime she tried to, if she knew the tracks she happened to be looking at.

Life in the Greater Faydark went on its normal slow and peaceful way as it was want to do. Tama played with the other children, learned from Elder her letters and numbers at which she proved she was very good. He was even able to teach her the basics of how to track and hide in the woods. On the arrival of her sixth season, several new teachers entered the classroom and where introduced to the children by Elder, and little Tama's world changed.

Elder introduced the three guest, "Students, these are Bard Windwhisper, The Druid Oakenvine, and the Ranger Eaglesclaw. They are here today to give you demonstrations of the talents and some of the skills each possess.

Windwhisper was wearing a light suit of cloth in patchwork of bright colors. He carried a rapier sword and several musical instruments on his pack and back. One instrument, the drum had attachments that linked it to his belt in a way that he would be able to play it even on the run. The rest where in easy reach so he could bring each out at need without having to unpack to switch instruments.

The Druid was in his light leather armor for this lesson. His weapon of choice was a wooden headed, spiked mace. He carried a large satchel that contained healing herbs and clean wound wraps. Though he was considered a type of fighter, his real duty was as a field healer, to keep a person alive long enough for a cleric to use real healing powers on the casualty. His primary magic talents focused on nature. He could influence animals to serve him, and make plants grow quickly to act as impediments to the enemy forces.

The Ranger Eaglesclaw was the heavy fighter of the group. He came in his mixed leather and Chain mail armor. His weapons included thin Longsword and a matching short sword. He also had several daggers on his belt for when a sword just would not work. On his back, he carried his unstrung bow and a quiver of arrows. His duties were scouting and moderate to heavy combat. The Rangers favored combat skill was at range with the bow. One arrow from his bow could match the damage of a full warrior's sword strike.

Tama looked at each of them in turn and watched as they demonstrated their talents, yet it was the Ranger that drew her eyes back time after time. During the Druids demonstration, Eaglesclaw decided to move to the back of the classroom. He activated a power called Camouflage, this made him seem invisible to the untrained eye. Tama had been looking right at him as he vanished, causing her to take in a sharp breath of surprise. She looked at where he had been then slowly looked back and forth, searching for some sign of him.

As he started to move to the back, she could see him as a fuzzy outline and tried to follow his movements. I can almost see him she thought. The harder she looked, the clearer he became in her eyes. He had noticed her following him with a look that said I think I see you. He snorted quietly thinking that she was too young to be able to see him when in camouflage. Her head snapped around and looked right at him. She squinted and smiled at him, then said out loud, "I can see you now Ranger Eaglesclaw."

That startled Eaglesclaw enough that he dropped camouflage and decided to sit in the chair at the back of the room. He knew he had just found a possible ranger candidate. He was the best the Rangers Guild had to offer, and she was able to see right through him. Talent did not begin to describe her or her abilities that he could sense in her. Elder glanced his way, then asked him," Are you well Master Eaglesclaw?"

"Yes Elder, I am fine. That young girl there, the red head just startled me is all. She could see me as I was moving back here while camouflaged."

"Yes, little Tama would be able to see you. You knew her Grandmother I think. She was the great tragedy and loss at the last stand you know."

"You mean Tamalain? Tamalain Arrowmark?"

"Yes, that Arrowmark, the flame haired madwoman of battle herself. Tama go over to Eaglesclaw and introduce your self properly as you have been taught."

Tama was suddenly worried she had done something wrong in watching him. She was also a little shocked at hearing her Grandmother described in that manor. "Yes Elder." She stood up with a lithe grace that Eaglesclaw had not seen in decades in any child, she quickly and quietly moved to the back of the classroom almost as if she were trying to not to be seen while moving. The girl's footsteps made almost no sound and even the movement of her clothing seemed muted. Once she reached him, she stood straight and formally introduced herself.

"I am Tama, daughter of Willow and Axemen Arrowmark. And yes, I know about my Grandmother Tamalain, and you sir are?" She asks politely with a small curtsy.

"Young Tama, I am Guard Captain Eaglesclaw Farsight, Chief of the Rangers of the Southern Reach and Guardian of the Lesser Faydark Pass. I knew your Grandmother Tama for a time. I was one of her teachers at the Academy. Sadly, my forces were not able to arrive in time to save the towns, and villages or her."

"You taught her, can you teach me too? My parents don't like to talk about her much. My mama told me she is afraid I would be like my Grandmother Tamalain, and she doesn't want to lose me like that." Her expression was a bit wistful as if she hoped he would talk about Tamalain and tell her about her Grandmother.

"Hmmm, I will need to speak with your parents before I say more about Tamalain. It would be best if you returned to your seat child, and observe the rest of the lessons." Eaglesclaw looked at Elder who had a troubled expression on his face.

"I will tell you after the class is over for the day," said Elder.

She returned to her seat and watched the lessons being taught by the other instructors. When it was time for Eaglesclaw to demonstrate some of the abilities of the Ranger, he gave a short lesson on how to handle the sword, and then much to the entire classes delight, an archery lesson. He took them outside and set up a short range to shoot on. He produced a tiny short bow suited to the children's size of this age group, he taught them how to hold it, draw the bow and release the arrow.

"You hold the arrow nock to the bow string between the first two fingers, holding the bow with the free hand, aim the bow upwards about halfway to vertical then you push the bow away from your body, drawing down on the target.

He released the arrow and it flew and hit the target in the red center. Tama had watched the movements and asked, "Did the arrow jump up as you let it go?"

"Yes it did, you have to learn to compensate for that action as you aim or you always overshoot the target. It is practice, practice, practice, only then you will get better at shooting with any hope of hitting what you aim for."

The young Elven lined up and waited their turn to shoot an arrow. He very carefully stepped them through the process of setting, drawing and releasing the arrow. Most did not come near the target stand; they tended to overshoot or pulled to the side. Once Tama's turn came, she stopped and just held the bow for a few seconds. She asked for a glove after seeing how the other students were holding their hands. The string had bitten into the soft skin in the joints of their fingers. She asked him about the bracer as well. She saw that the string would also slap the inside of the arm holding the bow out. He pulled out a small leather finger shield and a leather wrap for her arm.

Eaglesclaw smiled and pulled out both and showed them how the protective equipment protects the hand and arm from the string. Tama then took to bow and picked up an arrow. Upon placing the nock on the string, she felt a strange feeling in her heart, it was racing as if it wanted jump from her chest. A quiet voice from deep in her dreams told her what to do; it guided her hands to make the bow do her bidding. She drew down on the target as she pushed the bow away, held on for a few seconds to get the aim she wanted then let the arrow fly. She hit the target in the upper outer ring. She asked if she could try again. He handed her another arrow with no expression on his face. She followed all the steps, letting the second arrow fly. It hit the target dead in the center, raising cheers from her classmates.

"Yes Grandmother, I know who you are, and who I will one day be," she whispered to the voice in the dream.

Elder looked at her in amazement. Eaglesclaw smiled, he knew he had found his apprentice after a long lifetime of waiting.

With the help of the students, all the arrows that missed the target where soon accounted for and put away in the quiver. Elder told everyone that they all did well. "All of you saw different paths that you can take as you grow up. Silor may very well become a bard, and Tama there, she has the makings to become a Ranger if that shooting was anything to go by. These are not the only paths open to the Elven though. The Warriors, Clerics, and Casters paths are also open to you. Over time, we will have members from each of the various schools pay a visit."

"Elder," asked one girl, "what if none of these skills seem right for us. What are we supposed to become then?"

"Well Lindia, there are the crafters. Tailors, Armor smithing, Weapons smithing, Carpentry, Alchemy, Jewelry crafting, all skills are needed. Then their will be some here that raising the family will be more important than needing an advanced skill set. Oh yes, let us not forget the farmers."

The class as a whole seemed relieved on hearing this. Most of the students did not feel any affinity with the three adventuring classes they were shown. Knowing that there are many more paths they can explore eased their young minds.

Elder was only worried about Tama. She had just shown massive ability in tracking and archery, even though today was the first time she had ever held a bow. His duty as her watcher and guardian had just taken on new meaning for him.

"Well class, that is all for today. Be careful going home and think well on what you have learned today."

All the children packed their bags and headed out the door, into a new and uncertain future.

After the students had all left, Elder and Eaglesclaw sat and discussed what Elder was concerned about. "Tama has not been told of the events that led up to the death of her Grandmother. Worse still, Axemen and Willow don't know the entire story of what transpired that day and over the next several months. If you do visit them, be careful in what you talk about around Tama. I was there, I saw what was done to her Slim, it was brutal, and evil."

"I will leave the story telling to you then. I will inform them only that the council has no knowledge as to their current location and status. It is best that it remains this way until Tama can go to the Academy at 12 years age."

"It is agreed then. I am for some dinner, how about you. The main road inn has excellent spiced pork roast on for tonight."

"That sounds good to me. Let's go then."


Tama had enjoyed her day at school very much and it showed as her face was almost glowing when she arrived home. Her mother could see the joy in Tama's eyes and asked how her day was.

"We had a couple of special teachers today. One was a Bard, his music made us all run really fast around the classroom. The Druid had little birds flying all around us. The Ranger was great too. He disappeared in classroom and I could still see him a little bit. Then he showed us all his weapons. The swords are heavy; I couldn't lift it more than a little bit off the table. The best part was when he set up a shooting range and taught us all a little bit of archery. I hit the center on my second try mama. It was fun."

Tama saw the look her mother had on her face; it was the look that bespoke of great pain that caused her heart too ache. "Mama, why are you sad, I didn't do anything wrong while he was there, I swear it, I was good today."

"I know dear, I know. I just dread what could happen to you if you follow in her footsteps." Willow turned away and decided she needed to get their dinner started.

"Mama, I will not die in a battle like she did." Tama went up behind her mother and hugger her from behind. "I plan to live to a ripe old age of 350." After she said that, she started to giggle. "Mama, I will try my best to be careful." She proceeded to help her mother around the kitchen as well as she could.

Here mother did ask her, "Who was the ranger Tama, you never gave his name."

"Oh, his name is Eaglesclaw. I thought it was a strange name until he said he was attacked as a baby by an eagle and the marks have stayed on him all his life, I asked him."

Willow went deathly pale at the mention of the name and sat down. "Dear Tunare, they have found us," she thought. She got back up and quickly finished dinner preparations before Axemen could get home.

Tama set the table and had the drinks served and ready when he came in. He started to ask Willow how her day had gone, he saw the look of fear on her face and stopped. "What happened Willow, why are you looking like death has paid a visit personally?"

"Eaglesclaw is here in town Axe. I think they have found us."

"How did you hear he is around the Upper Pass?"

Willow looked at Tama, "Tell him, tell him everything about today."

Tama was scared now. Something terrible was happening and somehow she might be the causing it. She told him everything that had gone on, including how Eaglesclaw had acted when he found out who she is."

"Willow, he didn't know, he wasn't looking for us. It was just a sad chance he found her. I say we eat dinner, then wait and see what happens. Be sure of this, I will fight to the last if any try to take Tama from us."

"Why would I be taken away Papa? I wasn't bad, I swear it." Tama was terrified now. Tears were pouring down her cheeks and she wanted to hide.

Axemen took her in his arms and said, "A long time ago, some bad people wanted to keep us and take you when you were born. They wanted to raise you to replace your grandmother. Your mother and I ran away to protect you from those bad people. That is why we have lived here all this time."

"So it isn't anything I did?"

"No little Tama, it is nothing you did. Now get to your seat, we have some really good looking stew to eat before it gets to cold."

They ate in peace, not wanting to stir up the pain that was lurking in all their hearts. If Eaglesclaw tried to take her, Axemen would use all the power he had to stop him, even though he knew to do so would kill him as well.

Shortly after Willow and Tama had cleaned up the dinner mess, there was a firm knocking at the door. Axemen looked at Willow and quietly told her to get Tama out of sight and be ready to grab her and run. He went to the door and asked who it is that was knocking at this hour.

"It is Eaglesclaw, Axemen Arrowmark. I would like very much to speak with you. Just to put certain thoughts at ease, I am not here about following the Council's orders. In fact, Elder and I got the order for your capture lifted the day it was given, but you had already fled with Willow."

Axemen looked at Willow and nodded to stay back. He released the bolt and opened the door just a crack so her could peek out before committing to letting Eaglesclaw near his wife and daughter. Not seeing anybody else outside, he slowly opened the door for a better look around.

"I am alone Axemen Arrowmark. Besides, had I desired to take Tama, I could very well have done so earlier today at the school."

Axemen saw the truth of that statement and opened the door so that Eaglesclaw could enter. After he was inside, Axemen re-bolted the door. Eaglesclaw noticed this and was pleased that even with things as they are, Axemen was still being cautious.

Axemen offered a seat and once seated, Eaglesclaw started. "Just so you know, the Council has no idea where you live, nor anything about Tama. The Rangers Guild has seen to that. As to the arrest order, we had it rescinded less than a day after it was issued."

Willow took in a sharp breath, "We have been in hiding all this time for nothing?"

"No, it has not been for nothing ma'am. The Thornbreaks are still looking and the clan wants the child of Axemen badly."

"Why would they want Tama so badly?"

"Ma'am, Tama is special, I can't say in what way at present, but she has incredible talents already. As far as I am concerned, I never encountered you on this stop."

Axemen asked what was bothering him the most. "What did happen to my mother, I never have been able to find out the entire truth about her final fate."

"That I leave to your guardian to disclose."

"What Guardian? I have never seen anybody in Upper Pass that could be our guardian."

"I bet Tama can figure it out, can't you little one."

Tama looked thoughtful, screwing up her nose a little as she tried to solve the mystery. After a few seconds she smiled and said, "Elder is the Guardian."

"She is intelligent as well as talented, right in one. Now I must be on my way. We leave at sun up for the northern logging towns to visit the schools there. There are a number of items that the school doesn't supply for archery. She will need to obtain them for herself. First being archery gloves to protect her hands, next a leather arm bracer. The last will depend on whom she follows in development, a steel chest guard.

They all stood and Axemen unbolted the door, opening it so the Ranger could leave. Eaglesclaw turned and looked at Tama, "Tama, you must start now on building your muscles. Think about how the bow works and the motions of a swinging sword. Ask one of the Road guards how they exercise. Willow, go with her and have them teach the basics. She will need this badly in later years, I have a feeling about it."

"I will Eaglesclaw. A question if I may, what is your real name?"

He looked at her, almost sadly, "I have no other name. I was exiled from my family, stripped of my name many years ago. I must leave now. It has been a pleasure meeting you Axemen, Willow. Tama, stay out of trouble if you can."

He turned and vanished into the night. Tama had come to the door and started laughing. "I see you Ranger, you can't hide from me like that." Then he was gone.

With the sitting room straightened up, Willow confronted Axemen, "Have you known about the orders being lifted husband?"

"I had heard, but did not believe them. Willow love, the Thornbreak clan is evil. They abide by the law only if it suits their needs and wants. Yours and Tama's safety made sure I did not take us back to Kelethin. By the time I found out, Tama was already two years old and I was running the road crews. You seemed happy here, and Tama was getting ready to start school with her friends by the time received confirmation from the Rangers guild."

Willow could not decide if she should cry, be angry, or just love her husband for his caring so much. Love and caring won out. She took him in her arms and gave him a kiss that carried promises she intended to keep later that night. Tama on the other hand saw the kiss and said a typical child thing at that behavior.

"EEWwwwwww." She was grinning so it was not serious.


The next morning, after Axemen had departed for work, Willow took Tama to the market with her. She needed to restock several staples that had run low or out. Some fresh meat from a local farmer that had extra meat beast, vegetable, both dried and fresh, and fresh apples from a near by orchard. The total ended up being two full silver coins, not to bad for hard bargaining.

Chapter 2 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.