The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw - Cover

The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw

Copyright© 2014 by Invid Fan

Chapter 14

Liuz watched as Tabia swept the workshop floor.

It was a silly job for the Kikker woman to be doing. Not only was it early in the day, the floor not yet having the build up of sawdust it would once afternoon came, but if she WAS the skilled seamstress she claimed it was a horrible insult to her talents.

If.

Liuz believed his sister, naturally. There was no way she'd invent such a story, no animosity between her and the woman that would lead to a fictional charge of spying. But, it made no sense. What would someone learn by coming here? With a child, no less.

He glanced behind him. Yaa was standing at the large window behind his work table. The girl never talked. Not to him, not to Harveen, who knew Kikker. He had not even heard her verbally reply to her mother's words, although she always obeyed. Maybe she couldn't speak. Or ... his eyes went back to Tabia. Maybe she was afraid.

He looked back down at his work, the sound of water powered saws comforting in his ears. Something about the gearing wasn't quite right yet. There had to be an easier, more economical way to arrange them. If he had learned nothing else in the past few years, it was that while you could solve many problems by just throwing more complexity at it, once you had it working you then had to trim it back down. Cut the fat out of your design. Make it easier to repair, to maintain. Only then would it be useful.

He didn't consider something complete until it was useful.

Harveen sat down across from him, partly blocking his view of both Tabia and the table saw. She had a ledger opened, incomprehensible rows of upside-down numbers staring back at him. She was frowning, a good sign. It was her normal state when using that book. Thick sheets of paper covered with Watu words sat beside it.

"Anything interesting?"

Harveen let out a sigh, leafing through the paper. She pulled one out, examining it.

"Father thinks he's found a new market for those glass figures. The women in Grith offered him twice what he was going to open with, and he was able to add a third to that. The profit! If we can just get them to make more."

"Make sure more of the profit finds its way back to the glassworks." She half growled at him. That was his solution to most of these matters. Her father tended to think the profit should go to the one selling the items. That this put her in the middle ... well, she was the one who created this job for herself. He smiled as her growl became a sigh.

"I'll see. If they make more from these than they do from those bottles the Kikker like so much..."

Liuz glanced over her. Tabia seemed to be closer, despite the floor around her being reasonably sawdust free. Almost the moment he noticed, the Kikker woman moved away towards the lathe. He mentally shrugged. It made no sense.

"Liuz." Harveen's voice was a whisper, her clawed hand touching his arm. He followed her eyes as they gazed over his shoulder.

Yaa was standing beside him.

"Kyk." It came out barely a whisper. Liuz blinked, glancing over at Harveen. He felt the girl's hand lightly touch his arm. "Kyk," she repeated, not speaking any louder. Harveen, expression suddenly reminding him of his mother, smiled as she stood. She held her hand out to Yaa as she walked around the desk.

"Show me."

Tabia had now stopped working, eyes seeming to bore into her daughter. Liuz caught her attention. There, obviously, should be no problem. Her gaze dropped down, arms again pretending to sweep. He saw Donat pausing in his work, also giving her a confused look. Liuz had not told many that morning of their fears, but those in the workshop were ready for anything.

"Soldiers." Harveen's voice was quiet in his ears. "Kikkers on horseback."

He nodded. If Kasia's report had demanded action, the timing was about right. He stood, pushing his chair back.

"Tabia. We need you for a moment. Eryk, Donat, you too."

Fear filled her eyes. He silently winced. Never had he wanted to cause such an emotion. Liuz waked to the door, the two men slowly escorting the seamstress. She was coming willingly, at least. Harveen stayed by the worktable, Yaa's hand held in hers. Sighing, Liuz opened the door.


Two Kikker soldiers stood on either side of the door, their Polish chain mail reflecting the late morning sun. Another eight stood at the base of the wooden stairs. Liuz quickly stepped away from the doorway, placing one pair of guards between him and the now visible Tabia. Her green hands grabbed the door frame, anger and dismay warring on her face.

"Geen!" She tried to turn, the two Polish woodworkers blocking retreat. Her body jumped forward, brown webbed hands of the solders grabbing her. Her face became a snarl. "Green! Vrylating my!"

"Sir." The officer came up the stairs, nodding to Liuz. "Is the girl inside?"

"Yes. Be gentle with her. I don't think she's part of this."

"You're helping them!" Tabia spat at Liuz. "Helping these ... these DIERE!"

The Kikker officer stopped in his tracks. The soldiers restraining her twisted her arms, a scream filling the air. Liuz just blinked. Was ... was this all about Chief Ajani? About his people, and not Poland? That made even less sense.

"Restrain her," the officer told his men. "Fasten her in the wagon." Harveen appeared in the doorway, Yaa's hand still in hers. The man smiled. "Hallo weer."

The girl gave a shy smile. To Liuz's surprise the girl gave Harveen a quick hug, before going to the soldier and taking his hand. He looked at Liuz.

"I talked to her when she came to the village."

Liuz nodded. His eyes flicked towards the distant capital.

"I have to stay here. Thank Chief Ajani for me, and tell His Grace we'll help any way we can."

The officer bowed as the guards began dragging the woman towards the stairs. The girl Yaa shook her head, voice just a whisper.

"Jy is die diere."

A furry arm wrapped around Liuz's as he watched the two walk away.

"What does 'diere' mean?" he asked. Harveen squeezed his arm.

"Animal."


Kasia didn't know how long they had sat together beside the fountain. Nor, really, did she care. She was in the company of the boy, man, who had filled her thoughts and dreams to overflowing. More, the reality of Natan more than met the promise of those dreams. He was smart. Caring. LISTENED to her, and expected her to listen to him. He did not fill the air with needless conversation. When silence fell on them, it felt natural. Needed. Kasia found herself enjoying those moments as much as the sharing of their thoughts. Maybe they were still sharing, on some level she didn't understand. Who could say.

She glanced around. Kasia thought she saw Natan's boss glance out the window. His face vanished as she blinked. Well, he wasn't charging out here, and Natan was a big enough boy to know what was acceptable to his boss. Besides ... that he preferred her company this much made her heart mushy.

A family caught her eye. A young woman was walking towards them down the sidewalk. A baby was on her back, playing with the mother's hair, while three other children walked beside her clutching her dress. She even, to Kasia's eyes, looked pregnant.

Kasia let out a sigh. So many children. Moving her eyes away from the family, she saw them everywhere. Almost all under five. The Royal Miracle, they were calling it. The Exodus Explosion. The women of the Kingdom not just giving birth, but both mother and child living! It was unheard of! Babies just did not survive in such numbers. She had known that from her first memories. Not just that herMother had died giving her life, but the four year gap between her and Liuz's was not due to a lack of intimacy between their parents. Two siblings she would not meet until heaven showed that.

Kasia glanced at Natan. Why was she now thinking of children?

The blond god took a deep breath, sighing. His gaze turned to her, expression apologetic.

"I really should get back to work."

"I'm sorry I kept you out here."

"I'm not." He stood, holding out his hand. She took it, accepting the unneeded help as she rose beside him. "Come by anytime. It will make the others jealous."

She blushed.

"Come up to see us. I can always get away, if there's a pressing need."

"Am I that?"

"Yes."

She thought maybe he'd kiss her hand. A real kiss, not a mocking one like Issa gave. Then again, that would be very forward. Or would it? She had not paid enough attention to the protocol of courting! He seemed to split the difference by squeezing her hand while bowing.

She watched as he vanished back into the glassworks.

What a wonderful day it was.

Wind began to kick up. As she glanced at the sky, a drop of water hit her nose.

The ride home was going to be cold and wet.

Wonderful.


"Cannons."

Liuz looked around the table, shaking his head at all those who'd be working on this insane project. The two bell casters, who he'd only talked to a couple of times, seemed dazed. Their services had rarely been needed, and now the nation would depend on them.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.