The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2014 by Invid Fan

Left ... Right ... Left ... Right...

Kasia no longer felt. There was no pain. No exhaustion. Just unending numbness. One foot went in front of another, eyes half focused on the backs of the strangers before her. Where were they? How long had it been since the last rest? She couldn't say. Neither did she care.

Left.

Right.

"Camp! Camp!"

The cry came from somewhere up ahead. Instinctively, the stream of refugees pressed to the left, up against the moving wagons. Kasia saw the uniformed rider coming down the road. Liuz's arm snaked around her waist, pulling her against him. The horse passed within inches of her body, rider keeping up his shouted command.

For a brief moment, she wondered what "camp" meant. It was not something that had been said before, memory of life before this march slow to return to her. Her brother was standing still, as were those around her, Liuz's arm preventing her from moving forward. The wagon beside them WAS moving. As she watched, the team of oxen began to move off the road, pulling the Tabor with it. Slowly, the war wagon rolled off the road into the field.

"Come on," Liuz said. His arm left her waist, taking her hand. She shook her head, trying to clear it, her body automatically following his lead as they followed the wagon. Those around them did the same. The woman who had shared their water stayed close, her two children with her.

"Everyone stay where you are!" The voice was unfamiliar. However, it was male, authoritative. She felt those around them almost sigh in relief at hearing an order from someone who knew what they were doing. She was just reminded of Dad. The image of him that morning flashed before her eyes. She shut them, the sight mercifully vanishing.

"They're circling," Liuz said. Kasia opened her eyes. The wagons were slowly being positioned in the field. It took a few minutes, some of the animals not used to the small movements needed. As each wagon stopped, the two drivers dismounted and began un-harnessing the animals. There were wide gaps between the wagons, but even the appearance of security reassured her. One of the drivers of the Tabor got back up on it, standing on the seat. He raised his hands.

"You'll camp in the wagon circle!"

He lowered his arms. Kasia seriously hoped there would be more information than that. The people moved forward as the animals were moved into the ring, feed and water bags appearing. Kasia hefted the almost empty canteen by her hip. She had refilled at that stream they had passed awhile back, as had everyone who could even as the caravan kept moving. Still, they had to ration.

Her brother gently tugged at her hand. She walked beside him into the ring. Twelve wagons, she counted, made the border, only one of them a war wagon. The animals were at the far end of the circle, looking as tired as she. Liuz led her around the edge, away from where the others were settling. It would be crowded in here, she realized. Especially once sleep came.

With a sigh, Liuz let go of her hand, letting both his packs slide off his back onto the ground. She did the same, dropping her sack as well before peeling off her canteens. Liuz unhooked their father's tool belt, dropping it onto his packs. He then slid down beside them, leaning against the largest pack.

"Finally," he sighed. Kasia sat down beside him, letting out a sigh which mirrored his.

"But we have to do it again tomorrow," she groaned. He reached over, fingers slipping under her loose hair to tickle the nape of her neck. She giggled.

"That's better," he said, his hand slipping down her back a bit before moving away. "We'll deal with tomorrow, tomorrow."

Her attention was diverted to Urszuli. The woman was sitting on the other side of Liuz. Too close, to Kasia's mind. The woman had started to annoy Kasia for reasons she couldn't quite understand. Maybe it was the attention she was paying to Liuz. Kasia hadn't minded when some of the older girls around the neighborhood had talked to her brother, so why did this bother her? She didn't think the older sister, Roda, would have gotten the same reaction from her. Roda, however, like her brother Rafal, did not seem to be paying either of them much attention.

"Attention!"

The male voice came to them again. Kasia saw half the drivers gathered around the side of the Tabor, its side now open forming a ramp, revealing an interior packed with supplies. Some of the men were talking, heads close. The speaker lowered his hands.

"We know you all have had it rough! We'll do what we can, but we must conserve our strength! It will be a long journey!" A groan rose from the crowd. It quieted as he raised his hand. "Eat from what you brought! We will set up a cooking fire with a grate. A water barrel will be set up. Take only what you need to drink. We will also provide bread, cheese, and fruit to each of you." The groans turned to a relieved sigh. The man looked them over. "I know you are all exhausted, but we need firewood. Any who are strong enough, step forward."

Groaning, Liuz rose. Urszuli grabbed his leg.

"Stay! You need your rest!"

"We need wood," he replied. Kasia glanced at the two kids. They stayed seated. Letting out a disgusted sound, she began to stand. Liuz put a hand on her shoulder, stopping her. "Stay here. Guard the packs."

Her eyes slid to the family beside them as she nodded. Made sense. They were all in this together, but...

Turning, Liuz knelt down, slipping a small hand ax from its holder on the leather belt. He removed the cover from the head as he stood, tossing it down on the packs. Giving her another nod, he began walking towards the drivers.

Kasia looked around the camp in the fading light. They were mostly women, children. A few old men. A half-dozen boys were walking to join her brother, as were two grey haired men. Liuz was right to have her stay here. While she did have some skill, both from watching their father and doing some carving on her own, she was not the strongest person, even for a girl. The boys would be much more useful. Or so her tired self rationalized things.

"Your brother handles himself well."

Kasia looked at the adult woman beside her. The gaze Urszuli was sending after her brother was ... unsettling. Both children seemed to be ignoring their mother. Kasia could think of no other reply than to shrug. Urszuli turned her gaze to the girl, smiling.

"How old is he?"

"Twelve." The woman's eyes widened. She glanced again at Liuz, now with the group of men and boys.

"Just that? He looks older."

Kasia frowned. What the hell was the woman talking about?


Dinner was, while not filling, at least nourishing. True to her word, Urszuli compensated for the sibling's water by giving each two sausage links, cooked well. Liuz added some carrots from their bag, again sharing with Urszuli's family. It was only one carrot each, but still...

Kasia leaned back against her packs, eyes on the fire. Her empty plate lay in the grass beside her. It seemed wrong to waste water to clean it. Maybe if she left it on top of her pack, she could give it a quick dunk the next time they passed a stream or pond.

"It's ... Kasia, right?"

Kasia looked up. The brown-haired Roda looked down at her, hands clasped by her waist. Kasia shrugged.

"It was when I woke this morning. So much has changed..."

"I know." Roda looked around, then back at the girl. "They say we're to do our necessary things anywhere out beyond the wagons. Would you... ?"

It only took a moment for Kasia to understand. The idea of being out in the dark alone, exposed, with Elves and monsters all around sent a shiver through her body. She nodded, standing.

"Sure."

They walked out of the circle. One of the wagon drivers, face craggy and rough in the flickering light, gave them a long look as they passed. Kasia unconsciously moved closer to the older girl.

"Mom's making a fool of herself."

Kasia was startled more by the fact Roda was talking to her than by what she was saying. She wasn't sure the girl had said a dozen words to her all day. She glanced back at the wagons, while at the same time keeping an eye out for monsters in the dark.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean she's being so obvious." Roda stopped, then moved a few feet away from Kasia before lifting up her dress and squatting. Looking away, Kasia squatted as well.

"Obvious?"

"About your brother. She knows her situation, and she's desperate." Roda paused. "I don't blame her. I don't. She has to do something."

"I don't understand." Underwear moved out of the way, Kasia relieved herself.

"She's a woman alone. No skills, no way to support us, nor are we able to support her. She needs a man. Any man."

Kasia's eyes doubled in size. The woman wanted to MARRY Liuz? That was stupid!

"But... !"

"I know, I know. She's not thinking."

"Why isn't she forcing you on him?" Kasia glanced at the girl, violating toilet etiquette. "I mean, you're around twelve, right?"

"I'm sure it will come to that," Roda said dryly. "Once this doesn't work. But that won't help her." She paused, glancing over at Kasia. Even in the dark, the eight year old could see the haunted look in her eyes. "See, the only thing she does have of value, she's afraid the men will just take."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.