Autumn Duet - Cover

Autumn Duet

Copyright© 2014 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

With each having met the other's children and their families Ralph and Nell, despite Matt's antipathy, turned their attention to the marriage.

"Do you want to wait until after the anniversary of Nessa's death?" Nell asked.

"That's sweet of you to ask but I don't think it's necessary. I've given you my heart already and I'm not worried about the gossips. If we wait there'll be the 'they're living in sin' mongers and if we don't there'll be 'lack of respecters'. Either way we'll be had but I'd prefer to be open and honest about it."

"I had a feeling you'd say that Ralph, my love. Honest and open. All part of your attraction for me. So when?"

"August? If it's only going to be family it could be any time I'd have thought but if you want to push the boat out a bit then I'd have thought August would give us enough time to organise things. Entirely up to you, my sweet.

""Well, there are some particular friends I'd like to ask and it may be that once we announce our engagement in the papers some old friends of Rupert might pop out of the woodwork again. What about you?"

"My former best man and his wife, Nessa's sister and family, my sister and her family. That's about it off the top of my head. I must give them all a ring." He grinned. "Then of course the whole of this year's Summer School to come and sing 'God be in my head and in my understanding'."

Nell laughed and then suddenly stopped. "I wonder whether Marlborough would allow us to have it in the chapel after the concert with the choir singing and then hold the reception in Norwood Hall."

Ralph looked at her admiringly. "That's quite an idea, Nell darling, and my being an Old Boy might help swing it. Why don't we give it a try?"

Nell clapped her hands delightedly. "How do we go about it?"

"I'll email the Summer School team, mention the Old Boy bit and say we'd be happy to come and discuss it."

"So who's going to be your best man?"

"Same again, I hope, Peter Wilcocks. I must give him and the two sisters a ring. Who's going to give you away? Matt?"

Nell grimaced. "I'd like him to but not if he's going to go on being a grump."

"Why not ask them down again and we, helped by Helen, can put the pressure on him and try and make him see he's being unnecessary."

Nell nodded thoughtfully. "I think though," she said eventually, "I'll issue the invitation to Helen and she can start some early pressure. I've also got my brother up my sleeve."

"You're a wily old bird."

"Nonsense! I'm a sprightly young chicken."

"Yes, dear."

Nell made a rude noise and laughing they hugged.

Both went into action the next day. Both his sister and sister-in-law were delighted with Ralph's news. The latter was particularly encouraging.

"I imagine you were a bit worried about my reaction, Ralph dear. You know, getting married again quite quickly after Nessa's death. Don't worry. She, like me, would have been delighted."

"Thanks, Annette. I was pretty sure you'd be all right with it but your happiness and approval is a joy."

"Good and God bless you both."

He sent off the email to Summer School. As expected he only got a holding reply. He had bowled a fast one.

Nell dealt with the announcement of the engagement in the Times and Telegraph.

Peter Wilcocks was thrilled as well. "Wonderful!" he exclaimed. "Libby and I have worried about you a lot over the last few years when Nessaa really got bad. You've shown huge love and a lot of bravery, old mate. Pity brave husbands don't get gongs because you deserve one. As for darling Nessaa, she'd be tickled pink for you. You and your Nell must come over and have lunch with us. I'll have a word with her my child bride and get back to you. As for being best man again, I'd be delighted."

"He sounds good news," said Nell.

"He is, my darling, and you'll love Stella too. She matches you in height but is a little heavier."

"Rude man."

"No. She's a bit of a fitness fanatic. Just muscle. You could never accuse her of being fat."

"And she'd knock your block off if you did."

"Probably but it would be deserved."

"You love them both, don't you?"

"Very much. They were both on the phone regularly to try and keep my spirits up while Nessa..."

"Yes, darling."

Nell gathered him in her arms and held him.

Three days later Ralph received an email from the Summer School Director. It was enthusiastic but carefully so and a couple of dates for a meeting were suggested plus the Director's personal telephone number.

Ralph rang him.

"I'm afraid you're a bit before my time, Colonel Pennicott," he said, "but I looked you up and we have a number of beaks in common." He mentioned a few names.

Ralph laughed. "I trust you're not still in contact with them but ERD (Common Room always referred to each other by initials) was an inspiring history master."

"So I gather. May I call you Ralph?"

"Please do."

"I'm Richard."

"Thank you, Richard."

"Well look, Ralph, we consider this a wonderful idea, flattering even but we do need to get down to the nuts and bolts, chiefly numbers for the Norwood Hall. Then of course what you want in the way of food and drink and so what you're prepared to pay. Presumably you want 'your choir' to sing at the service and possibly sing an anthem."

"Yes, Richard. At a rough guess, we're talking about fifty guests including a dozen or so children. We'd also include the choir but we wouldn't ask all of them to attend the wedding in case they have afternoon classes. The other thing is I'd have to get in touch with Ella and make sure that she's happy with it."

"Well, look, I'll give you Ella's email address and you can get in touch with her. If she's happy give me a ring and we'll arrange a date to sort out the nitty-gritty."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.