Protection and Preservation, Book 08 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 08

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 15

[Janice in Italy]

Enrico and Paulo were, according to Bobbi, telling people that we were Americans. The excitement was noticeable. Bobbi told me that they were calling for someone who could speak English to come forward.

After a bit, two men and a woman came forward. They spoke haltingly explaining that they hadn't used English in many years. I noticed that Bobbi, Andy, Mindy, and I were being observed closely. I said, "Our party is made up of married folks except for those who are underage. We are all able to defend ourselves but would prefer to meet peacefully with your people." I signaled to Andy and Charlie to come over. They joined me. I said, "This is my son, Charlie, and his wife, Andy. They pilot one of our big planes among other duties." They nodded politely to the Italians while their arms were around each other's waist.

"We would prefer to be friends but our ladies will be respected." They nodded. They quickly went around to the folks gathered explaining something. I noticed that the looks faded.

We sat down and talked some more about our communities. I let Poppa take the lead in these discussions now because the diplomatic angle was more his than mine. He was asked and quickly explained that I was the elected commander of our expedition with a record of organizing trips and fighting, both hand to hand and with weapons. He added that I trained all the women and many of the men of our party in self-defense. We were enjoying our time now.

We joined them for supper. It was a grand meal with much pasta and good food. The women of the community did themselves proud and our group was complimentary toward the food and those who prepared it. It was late when we rode back to the airport. We agreed to return for lunch.

We settled in our beds in the terminal. Everything was locked up outside. Though we didn't expect trouble, we kept a casual watch. Robby and I woke to a slight noise and saw the Trio exit wearing vests and carrying weapons. We followed. Bobbi shouted "stop" in Italian. A shot rang out. I heard a scream and a shout that sounded like SJ, "No!" There was a sudden burst of shots. Robby and I drew our weapons and ran. Bobbi was down and SJ was with her. Jacob was standing a few feet away with a smoking rifle. Robby said, "Jan, see to our daughter. Jacob, come with me."

I went to my daughter fearing what I might find. SJ had unzipped Bobbi's vest. The center of her chest was massively bruised but she wasn't actively bleeding. I pulled her into my arms. "Bobbi, talk to me!"

Very quietly, she gasped, "My chest hurts like fire." She was crying.

I cried in my head, "Mel, I need you and Bennie for our daughter!" Suddenly, they were there along with many of our party. Bennie gently carried her into the terminal. Mel, Bess, and Michelle were working over her while we watched. I looked at Robby. He whispered, "Three of the younger ones had come to tinker with the four-wheelers. One had an old shotgun. They are all dead. I don't think others in their community knew about this but we'll find out." Charlie grabbed Andy, SJ, and Jacob and ran outside. He came in with coax and set up a radio close to Bobbi. He was on twenty meters calling, "Mayday! Mayday! This is Charlie from the European expedition in Italy calling Mayday and standing by."

I heard a weak response. He said, "We need Doctor Anne or someone with chest experience. One of us has been shot in the chest. Hurry!"

Ten minutes later, Mike came on saying that Doctor Anne was on her way and would be on the air in minutes. She came on and said, "Charlie, this is Anne. Who is shot? Describe the situation carefully."

Michelle moved to the radio. "Anne, this is Michelle. Bobbi was injured by a shotgun blast to the chest. She was wearing a vest but has severe bruising and difficulty breathing. We have limited ability to do anything. We have made her comfortable with her head elevated. Mel believes she has broken ribs and maybe a cracked sternum. She received the blast in the center of her chest."

"Is she coughing blood?"

"No but has a lot of pain. Her chest feels flatter to me."

"That is the problem. Help her breathe by pinching her nose and blowing gently but firmly into her mouth. Are Bennie and Robby listening?"

"Yes, Anne."

"Good. One of you hold her down. The other will need to push up under her sternum and lift gently while her lungs are filled. It will hurt her but she has to be enabled to breathe. Do it now! I am standing by."

Pam breathed into her while we held her down and Robby lifted on her chest. She passed out but, even unconscious, was able to breathe easier. Charlie reported that.

Anne said, "You may have to repeat that procedure until she is able to breathe well on her own. Someone must stay with her constantly. The primary risk is a puncture into a lung. She would drown in her own blood. How far are you from returning?"

Mel looked at me. "Janice, deal with it. Deal with the Italians. Find out what we can do. Find out fast!"

I began moving. I grabbed Poppa and Momma and said, "Map a route out of here as direct as possible. We will take Duck and Mallard as soon as they are ready." I looked around some more. "Herb, Ted, Olaf, Fred, get vests and arm yourselves. Major and Robert, get the planes ready. I don't care about the vehicles. We can abandon them. I want one plane in the air with Bobbi as soon as possible. The rest of us will follow in the other. Everyone, move it!"

The first four guys and I took two dune buggies and rode to the edge of the airfield. We met Enrico, Guiseppe, who was an English speaker, and five other men from their community. Guiseppe came forward with his hands outstretched and empty. "Three of our young men are missing and we heard shots."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.