Protection and Preservation, Book 08 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 08

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 1

[Janice writes]

The rest of the year finished quietly with no major trips.

The Brothers of Flight did fly out to Phoenix and Havasu. They brought back Jam Henderson who stayed with Uncle Jim and his wives. They seemed to get along really well. A few weeks later, he married into the family making them a foursome. They seemed to be very happy. My sister in-law, Jen, likes her new father. I asked him to write the story of the journey of the Salt Lakers. He agreed reluctantly. He said that it wasn't a happy story though he also understood that it should be part of our history.

I decided not to push him. When or even if he finishes it, I will include it in this journal. He seems to be happy with Jim and his wives. He also seems close to Robby. I spoke to Robby and he said that they understood each other and losses before and after the Day. I didn't bug Robby any more either. That story had been written and I cried for my three spouses every time I thought of our missing spouse who I would never meet.

When we had returned, I resumed teaching my classes. My three oldest children and the Harold's two all were successful graduates of my school of hard knocking along with a number of other men and women. Preservation was, on the whole, a polite society. However, knowing that any female, even young, could put you on your butt painfully did help keep those with attitudes under control.

An older boy had begun to torment some of the younger kids, particularly the girls. SJ caught him at it and slapped him hard. He made the mistake of coming at her. Since he was almost a foot taller and twice her weight, she wasn't gentle. If he got hold of her, he might have hurt her. He didn't. She threw him and he landed hard with a broken arm from his landing. She suggested that he or his friends were welcome to try again but, next time, she wouldn't be so gentle. There were no more problems.

His father came calling but backed off when he found out she was my daughter. I told him that my children had my permission to beat bullies into the ground. I continued to tell him that he could have his son learn and take his lumps or he, the father, could try to take me on. I wouldn't let him leave and mutter but made him commit by getting in his face. His family left the area right after Thanksgiving. Poppa Jack had them followed, making sure that people knew why they were moving. He kept going on into the Carolinas.

Christmas was another big event in the family and an excuse for many to get together to celebrate. We met at Poppa and Momma's house and it hasn't grown less crowded. Jam added one more there. Mary and her husband, Isaac, came from Talladega. The four Harold's came so our oldest two would not be disappointed.

Spring was coming and Andy and Charlie would reach the age of consent! Andy was even more beautiful and Charlie was a tall, muscular, and handsome young man. Their birthdays passed. Not only they didn't marry, but they were making no imminent plans! I caught them with just the three of us and said, "Okay, what gives?"

Andy looked at Charlie and then said, "It's my fault. I know I'm old enough and that Charlie and I are deeply in love but I want a little more time before we marry and have to get serious about living together for the rest of our lives."

Charlie said, "I watched Jen and Mike before I even knew Andy. We will marry as soon as the time is right. I'm working on a few things with my Dads that should be done first. In the meantime, we are together almost all the time anyway."

Andy said, "Don't worry, mom. Mothers of the groom don't have anything to do anyway." They grinned at me. I let it go. I sure wasn't going to force them to marry! I'm not sure I could anyway. I just felt that I hadn't heard the entire story.

Europe is on Poppa's list though he understands that his "intrepid explorers" aren't anxious to embark on another trip immediately. We have talked to the Brothers of Flight about a trip like that because it could be a long leap for the Twin Otters. It will take much more planning and thought and, probably, different planes. We would be almost out of touch even for communication. Getting help would be a lost cause. Knowing that makes planning more important.

Poppa was talking very seriously about making the trip and that brought another small group of challenges including timing because he was still the director of Preservation. He had learned to fly but still took Andy and Charlie with him on his flights. I think he enjoyed their company and he knew that Momma and I were more comfortable with them along. Momma had even come to me for flight lessons. She was already a top graduate of my self-defense classes. More than anything else, that told me that Poppa was serious about retiring as director and traveling. They never did anything of major importance separately!

SJ, Bobbi, and Jacob were moving up the airplane ladder from the single engine Cessna's to any of the larger multi-engined planes. When they weren't taking classes, they were looking for an excuse to go flying any kind of plane anywhere. Bobbi and Jacob wanted to fly but SJ wanted to know everything about them and how they operated and how they could be operated.

Of the three, she might be the better pilot and certainly understood the abilities of a plane as well as the Brothers of Flight. She was only eleven but was a big, tall girl who was just growing into her height and strength. She the first one born after Bennie and I joined the marriage and, from her size, might well be born of Bennie with Mel. She was going to be beautiful, just tall and would fit her size. I had the feeling that it would take a physically big and mentally agile man to capture her heart at some point.

On a trip to Protection, my spouses and I made it a point to talk to the Brothers of Flight about planes for a trip to Europe in more detail. They wanted to come to Preservation when we returned and go to Marietta. That was where the C-130J was built and it was their suggestion for our longer trips.

We agreed to work up some living quarters that would be convenient to the Marietta location of Lockheed-Martin. We hadn't been there in years. Armed forces bases had helpful things but didn't offer as much as some other places for everyday living. Over the years, we had all fought and used equipment from various bases but the fighting was a minor, though not unimportant, issue in everyday living.

When we returned, we took the family and the Harold's up to Marietta to find some place to live and operate for our group. We brought a diesel generator with us but had no idea what we would find. People didn't live in the cities because farming was important. Our communities weren't big enough for much trade to allow specialization. Even Bennie's dad and his partner in the machine shop had large, active truck gardens.

Chapter 2 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.