Mind the Time - Cover

Mind the Time

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 12

"Ma'at is the personification of the fundamental order of the universe, without which all of creation would perish. The primary duty of the pharaoh is to uphold this order by maintaining the law and administering justice. To reflect this, many pharaohs take the title "Beloved of Ma'at," emphasizing their focus on justice and truth."

The Wanzor said, "Nebtawyre Mentuhotep wasn't interested in justice and truth ... he was interested in who could pay the most ... and I nearly left it too long. If Amenemhat, Mentuhotep's vizier, had tried to pull it off by himself ... install himself as Pharaoh ... his advisors would have been honor bound to kill him themselves. You did a good job. I'm sure Ma'at won't mind."

"Who is Ma'at?" Monique asked.

"You mean ... besides the fundamental order?"

"Yes."

"She's a goddess ... before science there were gods and goddesses ... real beings in control of everything. When humans began dabbling in science they left us on our own. As soon as science fails to protect us ... they'll be back to watch over the survivors."

"As soon as? You mean science will fail us?"

"Yes, child. The watches are here to try and fix the planet before the event."

"When?"

"2200."

"One hundred and thirty-six years?" Monique was appalled ... but ... it wasn't happening now.

That seemed to be the prevailing attitude... IT WASN'T HAPPENING NOW. I can still add wealth ... I can still be prosperous ... I can still have my own way. Fuck the little guy ... I want mine. But along with that ran ... science can fix it. Science always has the solution.

"But the watches? They're science?"

"Good God, NO! The watches are magic," said The Wanzor. On that note, there was a little pop... POP...

"Hi Seven, this is Monique Williams ... she's a spy ... what should we do with her?"

"Nice to meet you, Monique. We don't catch spies very often ... do you know what we do to the ones we do catch?"

"I don't..."

No Monique...

Monique.

"Good god! That's appalling!"

"That's what we're trying to stop," Seven said.

"I'd better get to work, thanks." No Monique.

"Set her up with a watch?" asked Vee.

"Yes, nothing like a dose of the real future to turn a spy around." said Seven. She looked at Wendy Five, "When are you going to be responsible?"

Vee looked guilty, "Not yet."

"We know ... one vengeful Wendy is enough."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.