Coming Home to La Petite Valley - Cover

Coming Home to La Petite Valley

Copyright© 2014 by happyhugo

Chapter 8

Ma knocked on our door about six. "Riley, we have company and they want to speak to you." I quickly kissed Abby and put on my clothes. Ma pointed to the yard.

I opened the door and there was a boy of thirteen or so and a girl even younger perched on a draft animal. The horse wasn't saddled, just a blanket. The boy spoke. "Herr McBain, we got word early that our wagons will reach town about ten this morning. My Grandpa thought it would be nice if you led the wagons through the village because you were so kind as to save it from the outlaws."

"I would be honored. Won't you step down and have a bite to eat, while I'm getting ready?"

"Yes sir, we would like that." I knew ma had made flapjacks and every kid will gobble them up. Ma had rounded up some honey and bought some strawberry jam from Sarah Holcomb.

Everyone on the ranch wanted to watch the parade of wagons arrive at the encampment. This would be the time for the Mennonite families to reunite after being so long apart. Some, but not all, hadn't seen each other since leaving Germany months before. We headed out as soon as I had eaten. I didn't wait for the kids or my people to leave the ranch, they would ride together. I wanted to reach the wagons and talk with the leaders and of course the men with them whom I had left as protection after the battle with the outlaws, so I spurred ahead.

I met the first Mennonite wagon about a mile on the far side of town. Jacob Rutterman was in the lead with one of the Sinclair men riding beside him. Both were pleased to see me. I turned my mount and fell in between the two. Most of what was discussed was how the Mennonites wagons were taken by the outlaws. I assured them there was a place to camp for the wagons with feed for their livestock. The men with the wagons would be with their families in an hour. The train moved just a little faster, now that the drivers knew they were almost there.

Before we reached town, the people were out standing next to the street watching us approach. The ten wagons that held the bulls were in front. The air was pretty fragrant, although the wagons were all mucked out at each night's stop-over. This was a long train of thirty some wagons and there were riders between some of them. The rear of the caravan hadn't reached town by the time the first ones were leaving it.

Sam Pickens walked out along side of me and began asking questions. I didn't slow my mount down and put off answering questions. "Sam, Abby and I are getting married tomorrow at the recorder's office. I'll give you my attention for a half hour before the ceremony. This is a busy time for all of us. These people want to get settled and ready for winter. They have homes and shelter to build for their livestock. The ranchers have to go after what is remaining of their cattle herds."

"You mean these farmers and the ranchers are going to get along?"

"I'd say so. It is an advantage to both groups." The wagon behind was almost on our heels so we broke into a lope leaving Sam staring after us. I'd see him tomorrow.

When we turned onto my land where the other Mennonites had camped yesterday, I could see that just about every person from the valley was here. Even the Mexicans were well represented. I didn't see many of the townspeople, though.

A meal of Lamb stew had been prepared. The ranchers tasted it, but it wasn't beef and I'd guess that it wouldn't become a staple at their table. The bulls and other stock were unloaded from the wagons and immediately driven out to feed. I could see and understand that these people wanted to be left alone. So many of the Mennonite families had been separated for way too long.

I signaled the ranchers to follow me to my ranch after they had paused long enough to inspect the bulls. I wanted to thank all the men who had helped rescue the farmers. "I also want to tell you that the money for the cattle that was stolen from us will be in our accounts by Monday evening. That should help us get back to ranching again. It will take a couple of years for us to recover, but we'll make it.

"Abby Whitaker and I are getting married tomorrow. Mexican Pete is roasting a steer and it should be done by the time we get back from town as husband and wife. We have plenty of help and plenty of food which I know has been in short supply for many of you until recently. Now, just so you know, there are five of the ladies from Sloan's dance hall living here. They will be serving some of the food. Please treat them with respect and do not embarrass them. They have given up their previous calling and are trying to start a new life.

"Monday morning the plan is to head for the hills and roust out our cattle. We will make a gather in the center of the valley. Bob Sinclair will head up the roundup and if there are any arguments over whose cow is whose, he will make the final determination. Are there any questions?"

"What about them bulls that came in with the farmers?"

I grinned, knowing this was uppermost in every ones minds. "They brought thirty of them from Germany. There are six ranches here in the valley. We each get five of the bulls. Five bulls will be more than enough to cover the cows we have in our decimated herds. They are all young and good for service for a number of years. Most of you have at least got a good look at them. What is the most obvious thing about what you see?"

One of the men who had guarded the wagons here spoke up, "They are all of a size. They are marked some different, but not so much as our own cattle are."

I continued, "Yes and the legs are shorter and their bodies wider and more compact. Think man what we have, if we started in a program to cull out the smallest of the cattle and breed the bulls to the largest ones. What if we kept records in a breeding program that would increase not only the size but the amount of beef on each animal? In a few years we could have cattle that bred true like these bulls.

"I will say we all should do it together encompassing the whole valley. It won't be many years before we can be selling or demanding a hefty service fee for our own bulls. Who knows but one of our bulls when sold would bring what a small herd of steers would bring on the market. When we get our herds to breed true, the heifers will be nearly as valuable. The only thing different is that you will have to work closer with your cattle which may mean you have to hire on another cow hand or two."

"These records you mentioned, hell, I can barely read. How in hell am I going to keep a record of which bull covers which cow?"

"I trust that the Mennonites will follow through and help us get set up. They struggled hard to get those bulls here from across the water and will hate to see their efforts wasted. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'll help all I can. Abby will too, and Ma has to have something to do. First thing is to get the cattle rounded up and sorted out and see just what we have."

The ranchers soon left, promising they would be back tomorrow for the wedding reception. I spoke as we were finishing the evening meal. "Abby, can we walk up to the cave tonight?"

"I was thinking we might. I also would like to go up there shortly after we are married. When I know we are doing the right thing I get a warm loving feeling around me. It feels like her spirit is right there with me." I felt the hair on my neck rise because it was exactly the same feeling for me.

I left the journal at the house and we walked hand in had up the trail to the top of the bluff and along it until we went to where we had first camped. We brought a lantern with us. It would be dark in the cave and might be dark on our return.

I lit the light and raised the lantern high when we entered. Winnie's remains had not been disturbed. We stood at her feet looking down on her. Then we parted and laid down one on each side of her. Again our hand found each other. The feeling came on me that Winnie knew I was there and very happy that I had come to see her. In my mind I explained why and what had been happening in the valley recently. The warm feelings persisted. When I mentioned the five soiled doves that were staying at the ranch and what I had done and hoped for them, it suddenly was warmer.

My mind traveled to what I planned for the Mennonites and of selling the land that was in her estate. The warm feelings stayed with me. I went into more detail about them. I didn't know if Winnie had been aware of the reason for the land grab and what was behind it so I felt I had to explain. I declared the farmers were good people although strange and I was impressed with their dedicated lifestyle to their religion and to each other.

My mind tracked to what I was to do to honor Winnie's memory. Suddenly a thought appeared about something we had read and discussed at one time. It was that most of the burials in New Orleans were above ground in crypts. Now I knew how I was going to handle her interment. I would have a solid casket constructed and have her placed in it. Then I would have heavy doors built and this would become a mausoleum for my loved one.

I knew Abby needed the time to mention our wedding. She spoke in a whisper and I didn't hear every word, but that didn't matter. I did hear the bunkhouse ladies mentioned and Sarah Holcomb's name. I did hear Abby say Ma and Pa had come to stay with us. There was a burst of warm feeling and then I felt it was just Abby and I alone. We said our good-byes.

When we reached outside, the stars blanketed the heavens and we could see plainly our way back to the ranch. We reached the bluff overlooking the ranch house. Lights were on and it was a welcoming sight. We sat there holding each other. It was a place to pause and reflect.


"Good morning, Abby, you're awake?"

"Yes, I am, Riley. I have been lying here thinking of you. This is my wedding day and I'm so happy. I'm still thinking about last night and us being with Winnie. I just know we have her blessing."

"I feel the same way." I didn't say anything, letting my mind drift back to the short time I had enjoyed with Winnie. It was ended now and for all the heartache over losing her, I knew it was time to put her away. "Hey, Ma must have breakfast ready. I can smell coffee. I'll bet she has eggs. She was going to ask Sarah for some. She is the only one around who has chickens."

"She does have eggs. Riley kiss me, and then we will get up. Today is the start of our future together."

I took care with my dressing this morning. In a few short few hours I was to be married. I would wear my broadcloth suit that had been stored in the attic since I left so many years ago. It had been aired and it had the second pressing to be sure all the creases were out of it.

I had a thought while eating. "Abby, I'm going to shanghai Jim Backus and bring him out here to perform the ceremony in front of our friends and neighbors."

Pa spoke, "Well, don't get Jim too drunk. That may be what it will take to get him to agree to it."

"Guess you had better go with me to help persuade him. I have to talk to Sam Pickens anyway."

This upset Ma considerably. "Pa, you heed your own words. You are apt to take on a couple more drinks than you need. You stay sober. It would be awful if you couldn't stand up during the wedding."

"Okay Ma, I promise."

"Ma, Pa will be driving the gig so Jim can ride back in it. I'll ride a horse."

Abby was concerned too. "Is that apt to happen? You men getting drunk, I mean?"

"I have it under control, sweetheart."

Jim Backus was sputtering when we walked into his cubby hole that was in a room spliced onto the back of the bank. "Riley, I ain't marrying you and your woman today. I'm way behind an' I got too much to do. Ever since you showed up here, I've had all kind of land transfers, death certificates and what all. I hear there is a lot more paperwork coming with all them farmers arriving in town and you selling them land. I'm stuck back here in this hole behind the bank an' the town council wants me available ten hours a day. I tell you I won't do it."

"Come on, Jim, Ma changed the plan anyway. Pa is giving you a ride out to the house in the gig. She said to allow you one drink over to the Sunset Saloon before you leave town. When you get out to the ranch and get Abby and me hitched, liquor will be flowing like water."

"Like water, huh? Well maybe I might close up the office just so you young folk will be alright before the Lord." He slammed a ledger closed and was putting on his hat before I had time to turn around.

I cautioned Pa to give Jim just one drink and that I'd speak to Sam Pickens and be right along. I found Sam poring over his accounts in the back room he used for an office. "Sam, when's the next town council meeting?"

"A week after next. Why?"

"I want to appear before it. I don't think it right I should just be talking to just you. The ranchers are getting back to being organized after they were all splintered up. We got a whole bunch of farmers that have moved in and there are the Mexicans that have never had any representatives in the council. I'm going to suggest some changes."

"It won't do you any good. You can't change what the council does any time you want to."

"I don't see why not. It only takes a five percent of the property owners to call for a change and to vote in new council members. That's according to Brickland who is representing us. That is written in the town charter he says and he would know."

"We'll see about that. You can't come home from the war and take over."

"It's no different than what you and them Scalawags did to the ranchers. I've got the names of all the townspeople who sided with them and who were lining their pockets from the poor people they drove out or disenfranchised."

"Where'd you learn all them big words? I never heard the word disenfranchised and don't know what it means."

"I learned it in Washington last year. It usually pertained to the Nigras, but it is the same for the Mexicans here in Texas. The Scalawags and you townspeople who sided them did that same thing to the ranchers. I'm going to see to it everyone has a say here in the valley. I didn't go off to fight and come home and find it wasn't worth it. Just wait until all the carpet baggers get here and try to take over. You'll be thankful it is just me you are dealing with."

"None of the townspeople sided with the Scalawags."

"Oh Yeah? I have Winnie's journal that identifies some and I have the sworn statement from the Lawyer. Sam, I want this to be a whole community like it was before I went away so I'm not bringing up anyone's name. I'd like to forget who was named and I will if people will just listen to my suggestions. After that, it is up to the people."

"You just want to head up the town council. That's what is behind this, isn't it?

"Nope, you got me wrong. I don't want to be on the council at all. Hey, I'm getting married just as soon as I get back to the ranch. Wish me happiness." I didn't wait for a reply and made my way through Sam's store and out into the street. The gig was gone. Must be Pa was ahead of me. I loped right along to the ranch.

I did pause and speak to Jacob Rutterman who was near the road when I went by the Mennonite encampment. I informed him that on Thursday of the coming week I would take time to look over the land boundaries that I thought would comprise nine sections. "Also there is a town council meeting the following week. I would suggest that you and a few others be there. You are part of this community now and you need to be represented."

"This would be unusual for us. We aren't usually allowed to be included in any of the local politics."

"That may be, but it is in your own best interests. It will take a little while to get used to our laws and our government. It's called democracy and doesn't always work the way it should, but we have to keep trying. You'll learn and soon get the hang of it." I told him I was late for my wedding and soon was on my way with his good wishes.


"Riley, please get dressed in your suit. Your pa has been hitting the bottle and I want him by your side when the words are said. He is supposed to walk Abby out of the house where you will be standing with Tom Duffy. Abby picked me and Sarah to be with her. Some of the kids have picked a bunch of flowers for her to hold. I think that was real nice.

"Ma, You and Winnie were married in the church and the same for Abby and Roger Whittaker. One ended sad for you and the other ended glad for her. This one will be different and I have faith will last forever." There was mist in Ma's eyes and she quickly turned away.

Jim Backus had enough to drink and was quite happy. Our ceremony went off without a hitch. Just after he directed me to kiss the bride, he declared, "Folks, they make a nice couple don't they. Say, isn't there any one else here that wants to get married today?"

There was silence and then Red Morris and Rosy Rickets slowly came forward. Rosy, asked, "Can you do that? I mean, can you really do that?"

"Don't see why not. You aren't really married until I sign the license. Come into my office Monday and I'll fix up a license for you. Before I say the words, are you sure you want to do this? It's damned easy to get married, but a hundred times harder to get out of one."

Red Morris spoke, "I is sure."

Rosy followed with, "I'm positive and Red is my man."

Jim looked around, "Anybody else?"

I laughed because Sarah's three children were pushing Sarah and Tom Duffy toward Jim. Suddenly Mexican Pete's cousin was dragging a little black-eyed senorita forward. "Nina, we are old enough. We can get Father Juan to make it all right later with the church." And that was our wedding day!


Sunday was a day of rest and we just lazed around. Being married had a slightly different feeling for both of us ... more secure anyway. I had Pete working full time for me and he had two more of his people who wanted work. I temporarily hired them and told them when we got organized I might put them on permanently. I would know more as soon as the cattle had been rounded up. Pa and these three were to head out Monday morning for the hills. I would have preferred to be included, but I had so much more to take care of.

The Mennonites wanted to see the boundaries of the land. That would take the major part of the day on Thursday. I'd get a chance to get out in the valley before then and see how the roundup was coming along.

I wanted to get to the bank and talk with Graham Brown and Larry Brickland about Winnie's estate. Also there was the money that had belonged to Bert Innes that he willed to me. I wanted to inquire and see what the best use for it was. It was definitely going to remain in the bank and I wanted to get straight in my mind how it could be lent out and what I would receive and what the bank would receive in interest. These were just details.

I had to meet with the Mennonites about another concern I had. The cattle in the valley were all free to roam at will and this worked fine when everyone was ranching, but now that one of the ranches was turned into farms, the cattle had to be kept away from that portion of the valley. I didn't know if a split rail fence would keep the cattle from the farmer's cropland. It would only take a few minutes for a herd of cattle to destroy a field of corn or wheat or even trample a field of cotton.

"Riley, can I go with you? I know I'm your wife and should stay home and keep house, but your mother is here and there is nothing for me to do."

"I'd love to have you ride with me and when we get to the bank this afternoon, I will want you with me. If anything should happen to me, you would have to take over.

"Don't say that."

"Nothing is going to happen to either of us. We are going to be together forever."

"I hope so." Abby could provide a service on Thursday. She could write down the landmarks of the land that the Mennonites were buying. This would enhance the description of the property more than what it was at present.

The last section of land that I was keeping in reserve was a long narrow piece that started at the river and extended to the mountain ridge to the south. This did have somewhat of a natural boundary since there were coulees on both the east and west that extended the whole length of the property.

"What are you going to do with that section, Riley?"

"Abby, I'm turning over in my mind to grant it to the Mexican community. They have never owned land, just squatting on that little piece on the south side of the village. 640 acres would be manna from heaven for them. I believe Winnie would approve and she was quite friendly with these people."

"Is this the only reason why you want to do this?"

"Abby, the grandee who had the grant for the whole valley, just picked up and left when my father and the others purchased this part of the grant he held. He did nothing for the people who worked on the grant, leaving them here when he returned to Mexico. Their homes and jobs disappeared suddenly overnight. There are only a few of the original workers still alive.

"These people are now second generation and they are still struggling. If they had a bit of land, say five or ten acres to grow their own food it would help them considerably. The ranches are going to require more hands that will open up their prospects when we learn how to manage this new way of raising cattle. It is going to raise the Mexican standard of living all the way around if they have the chance to have a bit of employment."

"You amaze me and you make me proud of you."

"Yes, well the land cost me nothing out of pocket. It did cost me Winnie's life if I want to look at it in such a way. I'll just make the grant of the land out of her estate a tribute to Winnie."

"You certainly are getting rid of the land that came to you fast enough. Having so much property bothers you, doesn't it?"

"The land that is in Winnie's estate only. The money that was left by Innes though, I'm keeping. It will stay in the bank and make it a good solid institution. You will learn about it this afternoon after I talk with the Mennonites."

"How much money did Innes leave you?"

"Close to a hundred thousand dollars. It is mine, but stays in the bank making the bank one of the most solvent here in this section of Texas. I do consider the money in a way tainted and to remove that taint it should be used for good deeds. I suspect it came from proceeds of the border wars that the Quantrill gang were involved in. How Innes got his hands on so much of it is suspect too, but there is just no way to trace it. A dollar is a dollar and it doesn't name its owner or ancestry."

"Are you sure it is yours and can justly claim it?"

"Judge Kelly knew all about this and declared it was mine after reading the will that Innes drew up. He did strongly hint I should use it for the common good of the community and that's what I'm trying to do."

"Riley, listen to me. We are going to have a few lean years and we want to have children. I don't want them to go without, so don't give it all away."

"I don't intend giving it away. The money in the bank is to be lent out at interest. We have the cattle money being put into our account today. Even after we receive the five bulls, the nine sections the Mennonites are purchasing is still only half paid for. That money is coming into Winnie's estate and will be drawing interest and is one more of our assets. I'd say we were damned rich."

"I guess we are. I don't understand all this money talk, but if you say we have enough, I'll go along with you." She didn't realize it, but I was probably the richest man in the county and that didn't include what I was spending from Winnie's estate. Innes had willed me all the money in his account for repatriation for killing Winnie. I had the hint from the papers that came from the safe that just maybe Bert Innes had the same plan. But then he had killed Winnie and it had all gone sour on him. He was a crook and of the sort to make himself the head of everything.

More thinking on this: If what I had read, Burt Innes had gathered the proceeds from the Scalawag raids into his hands and convinced the others to let him handle it all. Did Brian and Ezra Sloan and the Parkers know he had put it under one account in his name? It was doubtful and that proved there certainly was no honor among thieves.

It was he who had started the process of contacting and bringing in the Mennonites. He had accepted money from them as down payment for the land the Scalawags had grabbed. The Tim Long ranch and the Riley McBain ranch would comprise twenty sections ... that was if I hadn't shown up and reclaimed my ranch. If he had populated all twenty sections, and the new owners owed him allegiance, then he would be king of it all. He was also working to throw out the other ranch owners in the valley.

Of course it fell apart for him when he fell in love with Winnie. I returned and my revenge and retribution killed him. I could only guess what was on his mind when he willed the land to Winnie's estate and willed his money to me. I might never know.

The Scalawags who helped could have stopped him from getting this far if they had realized how devious he was. He must have had some plan in the future to double cross them. He would have had to, to gain full control. I'd follow up on this thought. Innes must have left notes in the bank about his intentions. Again, I would have to go through that bundle of paper that had been handed to me. These thoughts were going through my mind as we came to the Mennonite encampment.

My first questions to the Mennonite representatives were, "How are you planning on keeping the cattle away from your land when it is plowed and planted? Are you expecting the ranchers to do it all?"

"No of course not. All these gullies that travel north and south are filled with Catclaw and Mesquite brush. Too, the brush and trees are encroaching on the open land. If we dig them up and plant live hedges, the fields will be cleared and we can go ahead and plow and plant our crops. Some of this brush will be used to contain our own stock in pastures and keep your cattle out. In some parts of Europe it was against the law to cut trees. It was also required that inhabitants go into the forest and remove the brush and the forests were almost like a park. We made live hedges of the brush and we will do the same here."

"It seems like a lot of work"

"It is but that will be our first order of business after we get shelters built for our families and stock."

"I should think more pressing for you is how you are you going to house your people this winter? You are going to be seriously constrained for time to get everything done."

"We have money to purchase lumber to build with. We can order it this week and start as soon as it arrives."

"That sounds easy, but to find lumber in this area isn't that easy. I honestly can't think of a place you can buy the amount you will need. You will need substantial housing. As warm as it is right now you might not think so, but it does get bitter cold during the winter. We don't have the snow that they get further north and it doesn't stay too long. When we get rain though, it often comes in the form of ice and that is worse than the snow."

"We were told that there was plenty of stone. We thought that would be what we would use if we couldn't find lumber."

"That's true if you have the time to quarry it, but that is no easy task in having the stone trimmed so your walls are all of the same thickness. Also, you can quarry the stone in the hills, but will take some time to move it to where you want to build.

"What would you suggest we do? I'll admit this hasn't been thoroughly thought through and this situation you present is somewhat a shock."

"Jacob, look around you. What are a lot of the dwellings in this part of the country made of? Many of them are sandstone colored and sand is one of the components. The varying shade of the red ones are from the clay that we have here next to the river. There are several clay pits scattered about on other places on your properties. You have both sand and clay and the only other item needed is grass or twigs to help bind the two together. Oh and water of course, to make it all into mud and that's what is adobe."

"Then what? How is adobe made?"

"You have a wooden frame that you fill with the mud to make bricks. The frame is the size where one man can make four bricks at a time. The mud has to be stiff enough so you can remove the frame and leave the bricks right where they are for a few days to dry. You rinse the frame and fill it again. You need a big flat area to do this. A good man can make 200 or more bricks a day. You'll want this done close to the place you are putting up the building so you don't have to move the bricks that far from where they are drying."

"How long does it take to dry them?"

"It is a two step process. Your green bricks have to stay in the original position for three or four days until they will hold together and you can tip them up and stand them on edge to dry more evenly. They should dry for a month or so after you tip them up and then they are dry enough to build with."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.