Coming Home to La Petite Valley - Cover

Coming Home to La Petite Valley

Copyright© 2014 by happyhugo

Chapter 7

Some one shouted that there was a horse coming on a dead run. It was lathered some when it was yanked to a standstill in the yard. It was a girl of seventeen or so and was looking around for Jacob. "Jacob, we just got word that raiders have robbed our wagons and set our people afoot. They are taking our cattle and all of our equipment. You must do something."

"Where?"

"I don't know. I think the other side of the last town before this one. They are taking them north and west."

"Were they Indians?"

"No, somebody named Dugan was the leader of them."

Larry Brickland spoke, "That would be Doug Dugan. He will be headed for the Sloan holdings up in the pan handle. He must have found out that his friends here have been wiped out. He was the cattleman who directed the roundup when they stole your cattle."

"How many men does he usually have with him?" I asked this of Larry.

"Ten or twelve. How many wagons did the immigrants have?"

Jacob answered this. "Ten for the bulls and twenty for supplies and farm machinery. There are extra horses and some milk cows that could be driven with the wagons. They can't travel very fast.

I did some calculations in my head. "He must have nearly thirty riders to steal this whole train." Sinclair agreed with me. "Men, those bulls are pretty damned important to us. I think I know about where we could catch up with them. I say we go after them."

"Let's go."

"Okay, let's take a minute and talk about how we are going to do this."

Jacob stopped me. "Herr McBain, will there be violence? We should contact the authorities and take it to court. We will get our goods back that way."

"Jacob, with all due respect that wouldn't happen. We have to take them back or you will see none of your cattle or equipment. Your goods will be back in your hands by tomorrow night or the following morning, I promise." I ignored Jacob.

"Pa, you take Jacob's friend and round up some help to take over after we take control of the wagons. We'll need people who can drive the wagons. Hit the trail and come up on the wagons from the rear. I'll take the men and head over the mountain. They won't be too far up the trail and we may even get ahead of them. We can stop them from in front and take back the wagons.

"Abby, you go with Pa. I'll want Pete and his brother-in-law with me. His sister can find some Mexicans to help to go with Pa. I'll take the men over the hills here and hit the trail they'll be on. If we can catch them before tomorrow morning we can do it. We could wait for the next morning, but I don't want to."

Ma had anticipated our needs for food and had filled some flour sacks. Twenty minutes later we were saddled and were winding up through the hills. It would be almost full dark by the time we would come down on the wagon trail and I was anxious to get going.

Word couldn't have come at a better time for us with the ranchers all here together. I had nineteen armed men with me. Sinclair had never gone into the mountains from this angle and didn't believe there would be a trail thorough. I had grown up here and knew this section intimately. At one time when young, I had kissed a girl at a dance and she lived on the other side of the mountains. Enough said.

Duffy, Pete, and Red Morris were ones I could depend on. I would trust Monty and Jack Sinclair just as much. We moved as fast as we could. Most of the time it was single file but we ate up the miles. Eventually we got over the mountain to where we could look down into the valley. There was a small crick that meandered beside the trail.

We gathered at the foot of the mountain and I sent Duffy and Monty across the water to the trail. It had been traveled, but there were no large wagon tracks or droppings that indicated a large gather of livestock had passed this way today so the wagon train hadn't got this far. He pointed and indicated that he was going down the trail to see how far we were ahead of the raiders. "Men, eat and sleep if you can. When Duffy gets back we'll do some planning."

We didn't build a fire. It was two hours later that Duffy came back up to us. "The wagons are a mile down the road. They've got the bulls out of the wagons and all the horses and cattle are in a glade across the crick. They'll be there the rest of the night. The bulls aren't giving any trouble and there are only five men with them. I couldn't see any arms on them and only two are mounted.

"Some raiders are around a fire and are passing a bottle between them. I think we should leave our mounts here and get down closer going on foot. Monty said the big man is definitely Doug Dugan. Pete and I and maybe Red can knock the five men in the head. And then if there is shooting we can do it from across the crick."

"I'll think on it when I get there. I may want you and Monty with me. Jacob you stay here with the horses. Jenkins you stay with him. I don't anticipate we will be having too difficult a time. Dugan had to know these people don't fight so how can any of them come after him. He probably isn't worried. Taking candy from a baby is the way he will be thinking. Just as soon as the moon comes up we'll head down there."

I hated to leave the horses, but I didn't want them to whinny and spoil our surprise. I sat down and relaxed. I was always like this while waiting. Too many times it seemed. I'd thought fighting was behind me. Guess not.

Finally the moon came up over the mountain and we headed down the trail. I did make one change. I put Sinclair's two boys, Monty and Jack, and one other man in the woods near the trail a hundred yards short of the wagon camp. "If them men get to their horses, stop them anyway you can."

"You mean shoot them?"

"Yeah. We don't have horses and they do. It will be them trying to get away."

"But we can't just shoot them, can we?"

"They are cattle rustlers and would be escaping aren't they?" We started forward. Suddenly Pete was beside me. I was in the lead and my men bunched behind me.

"I figured you would be coming along. I got up close enough to hear the men with the animals talking. These five aren't happy at all. I identified them as either Mennonites or maybe freighters. The raiders are the only ones with guns. I take it there are only six or seven true raiders. The rest are immigrants."

"That's good to know. Did you find where the raiders are located?"

"Yeah, they are around the brightest campfire. There are four sleeping around it. The other two or three are on guard. I couldn't spot them. They have to be in the shadows somewhere."

"You've done good Pete. I'm going to talk to one of the men with the bulls if I can. I want them to get away before we attack the ones we came for." I followed Monty across the crick and into the glade with all the animals. One had just tossed wood onto a campfire and it flared up. All were staring into it. When they got their eyes adjusted again I was beside one of them with my gun out.

"Stand still men and you won't get hurt. We are owners of the cattle and came after them."

"God mister, get us out of this mess. We aren't Mennonites, but we are with them. We hired on because they didn't have enough drivers. Those bastards forced us to work for them. We just want to get where we are going and go home."

"We can do that if you cooperate. I want you to ease up to your friends across the road and quietly tell them to disappear back down the trail you just came up. Go back a half mile and wait. The cattle won't scatter much. Tell them that Jacob Rutterman is with us. At present he is holding the horses. If you hear shooting it is just us taking over. Here, if you don't believe me, I'll show you my badge. I'm Riley McBain and a federal marshal. Get going as soon as you can. When this is all over, I'll make sure you get a ride south and home.

"Thanks, Marshal."

These men were so quiet, I didn't hear them move. Occasionally I could glimpse a shadow pass in front of the dim campfires. I figured fifteen minutes and most would have followed my instruction. If not, too bad. Now was the tricky part. I directed the ranchers into a half circle just across the crick. They had some cover and out of the light from the outlaw campfire.

I was ready and shouted, "Hello the camp. This is Federal Marshal Mcbain and you're covered. Throw your guns away and come out into the light by the campfire." I wasn't surprised when gunfire erupted before I finished speaking. The first shot came from back in the woods behind the fire. As soon as we realized this we targeted the shooter. It had to have been someone mounted on a horse, awake and on guard. Those around the fire had come up shooting at that moment. We gave it back at them. Soon there was no more gunfire. Then we heard what sounded like two horses speeding north.

We fired at the sound. Then there was shooting up the road from the men I had left there to stop just such a thing as this. It was now quiet. "Let's see what we've got men?"

I eased across the road as did some of the others. We all had our guns at the ready. There were four men in the camp and all dead. I sent a couple of men toward where the shot had come from back of the campfire. "Found him. The horse he was on is dead too."

"That's five of them. Now we'll see what luck the ones up the road had."

When we got near, there was a horse and two men down. One horse stood there quivering. Pete stepped up and calmed him. We tied both the dead men on the horse led it back to the campfire. We laid them all out where we could inspect them. All seven of them were known by the ranchers and had been in and around the Petite Valley when our cattle were stolen. The only one who didn't have a bullet in him was Doug Dugan. Apparently when the horse went down, Dugan had gone over its head and the horse landed on him in such a way that his neck was broken.

"I have paper on Dugan. This saves me from stretching it with a rope. Hey, somebody go get the wagon drivers. They must want to know how this turned out. This was a good piece of work tonight. Duffy, grab a horse and help bring our mounts down. Be careful to let Jenkins know it is you. He might think you are a raider and start shooting."

Soon we sorted things out. We found that these men with the wagons were Mennonites except for the five we had talked with earlier and had been forced to change direction. There wasn't a gun in the bunch including the hired drivers. This made sense--now more than what we had surmised when we heard back at the ranch that there were raiders driving the wagons. Jacob had family with these people. He also received much credit for rescuing the cattle from the raiders. He turned my away and said it was me and the ranchers who had done it.

We had a few hours sleep before we turned the wagons around and they headed back down to where they had been high-jacked. The wagons had traveled sixteen miles from that point. It was then still several miles to Petite Valley. It looked as if it would be two or three days before they reached the valley. I told Jacob to go with them and travel right through town when he reached it and park on my land next to the river. We would sort things out when they reached the ranch.

Jacob was very thankful. All the ranchers admired the bulls as they were being loaded into the wagons. Many of the ranchers had never seen this type of beef critter before. They were slowly being imported into the country, but these were the first that had reached here. I had seen the like back east, but these were really something.

I smiled, thinking the ranchers would give up a whole lot to have the use of these bulls to service their cattle. I know I was. When the wagons started, there were eight of the ranchers with them as guards. They would make sure those bulls reached the valley. I and the rest went up and over the hills the way we had come.


Pa met me when the ten of us came down out of the hills. I was surprised to see him, but found another of the Mennonites had followed the first messenger, so Pa turned back knowing that different drivers weren't needed and was waiting for the results and "How'd it go?"

"Great. It couldn't have gone better. We wiped out some more of those rustlers who stole our cattle. Pa, the rest of the Mennonites will be arriving here in a couple of days. I swear those bulls that the Mennonites are bringing with them will make this valley producing some of the finest beef in the country.

"The livestock have had a hard journey coming half-way around the world, but you wouldn't know it. Another good thing is that they are not as wild as our longhorns. They are used to being handled by people. I was told they can get damned mean as they get older, but these young bulls will be good to work with anyway you cut it."

"Well, tell me what happened. I've seen a bull before."

"You haven't seen any like these." I went on to tell about the fight we had. "None of us even came close to getting hurt."

"That's because of your planning. It sounds as if you had all the contingencies covered by how you assigned a job to everyone."

"I guess so, but everyone was willing and made it easy for me. Who would have thought I could get the ranchers to help out a bunch of farmers? After they seeing the bulls, this is going to be easy. You should ride out and meet them tomorrow. I have to get with Larry and to organize a place for them when they get here."

"Maybe I will. I'll bet Abby will go with me. She's one damned fine woman. Ma and me wondered about her when she sued for her divorce and I guess although we didn't say anything, our estimation of her was lowered a mite. Now though, I'm advising you to grab her."

"She's already grabbed, Pa. They'll be a wedding within the month or before cold weather."

"Smart move."

Abby and Ma set food before me and the rest of the ranchers. We all ate quickly. The ranchers were anxious to get back to their families and I wanted to find Larry Brickland. I wanted him to go with me to let the Mennonites know the result of what had gone down and that their people would be with them tomorrow. I headed for town.

I found him in the bank working on paperwork. He and Graham Brown were satisfying the terms of the will by depositing to the ranchers accounts money from the stolen cattle account.

"Riley, I'm almost done with this chore. Next will be figuring out what the division is to put into the separate accounts and what goes to the ranch owners. The money is here, it just needs to be divided. You're going to have some happy people among the ranchers. I don't think the Mennonites will have enough gold with them to pay the other two thirds. Will you give them time to come up with the money if they don't have it?"

"I'll look at my options. Remember Winnie's estate is the owner of the sections. I've done quite a bit for both the ranchers and for the Mennonites. I think we can come to some agreement without much trouble. We'll have a get-together and sort it out. For now, can you break loose and ride out to the Mennonite camp with me? I want to tell them their people are safe."

"God, I forgot where you were and what you were doing. Did you accomplish what you set out to do?"

"We did. It was Doug Dugan and his bunch. Doug went down under his horse when it was killed. We shot the six other men with him. None of us got a scratch and we have turned the Mennonites around and are backtracking. They'll be here the day after tomorrow.

"I was surprised to find that Dugan and his bunch had taken over the wagons and forced the Mennonites to drive for them. That made it much easier for us to separate the two parties and gain control. I'm going to advise the Mennonites that are already here to pack up and move out to the ranch. There will be between forty and fifty wagons in all. They might as well be together in one place."

"You're letting the new arrivals camp on your ranch?"

"Just across the river is where they will be settling and that's close by. They'll want to be building homes before winter. They can't just turn those bulls loose either. I tell you those people have their work cut out for them to get settled in. They have more than cattle with them too. I saw goats and sheep in a couple of wagons. I didn't see any hogs, but you never know because I didn't inspect their outfits."

"Riley, I think you had better go out there by yourself. I want to keep working on these accounts. You're as eloquent as I am and you know those people better than I do. I do want you to look over what I am doing before I finalize them."

"Let me know when you're ready for me."

I didn't argue and I trusted him ... mostly. After all I told him I would shoot him if he wasn't honest. After what I had been doing in the last couple of weeks he must believe I would.

I rode into the Mennonite encampment. Jacob's wife hesitantly came up to me. She looked fearful to see me alone without her husband. "Jacob?"

"Jacob is fine and sends his love. All of your people and goods are fine. They should arrive here the day after tomorrow late in the day. If you have enough people to pack up tomorrow, I'll come by and lead you to my ranch and when the others get here you will be all together."

"Mr. McBain, why are you so kind to us?"

"Mrs. Rutterman, I can't really say. Maybe it is because I was without a home for so long. Oh, I had a home, but I was two thousand miles away from it. When I was able to travel home, I found that much of what was to make me happy was gone. My wife was dead and that was a serious hit and also my way to make a living had disappeared as well. Winnie had looked ahead and left a document that would help destroy those that caused my loss. That is if I was strong enough to make it happen.

"I found I was able to accomplish both. Word came to me that you and your people were being driven from not only your homes but your country as well. You had time to plan a move and it took a great deal of strength to venture forth to a new land and country. I suspect Banker Innes admired your people. He must have admired your strength to contemplate a move somewhere so far away and begin again.

"These words came from my worst enemy. He was the person who shot and killed my wife and who headed up the destruction of my way of life. In his final days though, he left in my hands the instrument to not only give me back my lands, but to help those he had admiration for. There was nothing he could do to give me back the wife he had taken from me so he left everything he had acquired to her estate. There were some suggestions on its distribution, but I don't have to follow them. I have chosen to follow a few. He felt I was a better man than he and that I wouldn't follow in his footsteps.

"I have to hate him for what he did to the people in this valley, but I have to admire him a little bit too. I'm young and I want to find out just what kind of man I am before I pass on. I know the Lord says thou shall not kill, but I'm not one to stand aside and see people lose everything if I can prevent it. I've had to take action, but I take no joy in it. Everyday, I'm hoping I will never have to again.

"I admire your people's faith in laying down the sword, but not picking it up to save your people I can't agree. In the theory of turning the other cheek, you have to think of your children if not of yourselves."

"Mr. McBain, we have talked much of you and not always kindly either. Our teachings follow a different path than yours do concerning violence. Sometimes a person does doubt the wisdom of the teachings when you hear that our people are forced into giving up their livelihood to some outlaws. Would you forget I said that because it isn't good to doubt? All I can say is thank you and bless you. I'm glad we had this discussion. I understand you better and I know you are a good man."

"Thank you. I hate to harp on this and I don't want to argue with you because I don't know your teachings. I just want to remind you that you have traveled to an area where the hostiles can still sweep in, kill, rape, and carry off your children into slavery. Anyway, I will see you tomorrow and on the following day you will be reunited with your people. You must be excited. I understand it has been months since you have been all joined together as a people?"

"Yes, and we will be thankful as well." I turned and with a wave and a smile I headed back through town.

Sam Pickens hailed me as I rode through town. "Riley, what's going on? You stopped and told us the town was receiving some property, but that's all we know. We hear that the rancher's took off over the mountains on some adventure. That was a couple day ago. Now you come riding through town and don't stop. I assume it has something to do with those religious people. Is that correct?"

"You're correct in your assumptions. The remainder of that bunch of Scalawags high-jacked the train carrying the Mennonites goods and equipment and were forcing the men to transport them north to some ranch. I don't know what they would have done with the people at that point. Maybe kill them. They killed enough people here in the valley."

"Riley, you caused more deaths than they did,"

"Maybe so, but first, I had cause and I also have the federal government behind me. I am carrying a badge and again I was called on to fulfill my duties in a like situation."

"Well, what happened?"

"I was able to straighten it out. There will be seven more bodies to bury the day after tomorrow. One of them was that cow thief, Doug Dugan. When I identified myself as the law, they came out shooting.

"Jesus, Riley, where's this going to end?"

"It's getting close. I do believe we've taken care of this particular bunch of Scalawags. Sam, let's cut this off. I've been sitting a saddle for over twenty-four hours, and I'm beat. I'll be in to talk to the council in a few days." I lifted the reins and left Pickens standing looking after me.

I crawled into bed when I got to the ranch. I slept until eight the next morning. I wouldn't have woken up then except Abby came in and eased down beside me. "Riley, Ma has your breakfast almost ready for you. Before you get up, I need a hug. I don't see enough of you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.