Coming Home to La Petite Valley - Cover

Coming Home to La Petite Valley

Copyright© 2014 by happyhugo

Chapter 4

Up on the other end of the street by the Sloan buildings, several women burst out the back door and ran into the Mexican community. "Abby, would you go ask one of them if all the women are out? I don't want to be shooting in there if there are still women who could get hit." This was more to get Abby out of the way instead of really needing to know.

Now there was steady gunfire across the street coming from the hotel and the general store. I guess the ranchers had opened up at the Scalawags. I cautiously went up the alley behind the buildings. There didn't seem to be any windows on the back of the buildings, just a single door and steps. "Pete, don't let anyone out the doors if you can help it. I'm going across the street to the bank and talk to Proctor. Maybe we can pick up that trooper who is down if I can stop everyone from shooting for a minute."

I stood in the alley surveying what was happening. I could see that the trooper who was down wasn't dead. He had crawled in close to the building where the Sloan gang couldn't reach him with gunfire. This wasn't going how I wanted it to. I ducked across the street and into the bank. "Proctor, we can't just kill them all. There must be some men with Sloan and their only crime is being guilty by association."

"I know, but who started this fight? The first shots were fired in the sheriff's office and that is where you were located."

"I know that. I was arresting the sheriff and his deputy. Both had been proscribed and you have warrants for them. The deputy is dead. That said; we need to talk to these people and let them have a chance to give up. We need someone who can hold a white flag and tell them what this is all about."

Graham Brown, the teller spoke up. "Sadie Hanks would do it. She is wife of Sloan's bartender. Sloan is a little sweet on her and he would never shoot her. She could talk to them without being shot at. She lives on this side of the street."

"Would you find her? She must be worried about her husband."

"That was why I thought of her. They are friends of me and my wife."

Just then the only lawyer in town, Lawrence Brickland, came in asking what was going on. The judge explained. "Judge, I'm on retainer to the Sloans. I can talk to them. What do you want me to say?"

Proctor answered, "Just tell them to stop shooting. I've set up court here in the bank. I have a list of warrants and I have some that I can fill out if I find they have committed crimes." Brickland looked down the list of names of whose crimes were known. Most were of the deeds they had done since reaching here.

The exceptions were the Sloans, the sheriff and his now dead brother. There was also a warrant for attorney Brickland. He blanched when he read his name. "Why is my name on this list?"

The judge answered, "Some of the ranchers made complaints about you double crossing them. I'm to look into it. You work with us on getting this settled and you won't receive more than a fine. You cross us and I'll see you get jail time." Brickland didn't like it, but agreed to work with Proctor. It was the only deal he could make.

Sadie Hanks came in the back door of the bank with Graham Brown who had found her looking out the General store window. She was justifiably concerned about her husband who was in Sloan's bar room across the street.

There had been sporadic shooting coming from both sides. A large piece of white paper was attached to an umbrella being waved by Attorney Brickland as he stepped cautiously out the bank door. He walked to the middle of the street. Sadie ran by him and started shouting for her husband to come out of Sloan's Bar. He looked over the batwing door of the saloon to see his wife shouting at him.

He pushed the doors apart and came to her. She grabbed his face and kissed him and then dragged him up the street and into the hotel. That was one man who wasn't going to die today if he could help it. Attorney Brickland went inside Sloan's. He was in there for fifteen minutes and came out and went next door to the dance hall.

It wasn't long before Brickland came back across the street to the bank. "You've got a fight on your hands. Some of the men in the bar are going to give up, but that still leaves eleven in there forted up. There is only one man in the dance hall who caved. There are six at the hall that aren't giving in. How do you want to handle the ones who want out?"

"Tell them to go out the back door and I'll check their stories. If I think they are wanted or caused crimes here, I'll hold them. They are to come out one at a time. I expect you will be representing them?"

"Nope, they're on their own."

"That won't work." I looked at the Judge Kelly. "Judge, order Brickland to represent them."

"So ordered. Proctor, you go with McBain and process them as quickly as possible. Restrain the ones you charge until we get the others dealt with. Tell the ones you don't charge to get their ass out of town. Get to it, time is wasting."

When Proctor and I scooted across the street I saw that the downed trooper had been rescued. I didn't know how seriously he had been injured. The dead Scalawag was still lying in the street. With the gunfire quieted the sense of danger had dropped. I knew that things would heat up again soon. The minute I reached the rear of the Sloan's bar I ran into Pete.

"Pete, did the dynamite come into town with you?"

"Yeah, it's in the wagon. Are we going to use it?"

"I think so. First, there will be some men coming out the rear doors. The prosecutor and I will be interrogating them. I imagine most of them will be regular cowhands. They may be guilty of stealing cattle, but I'm positive they were ordered to by Innes or the men who they worked for. We'll let them go if they give their word to get out of town."

"What do you need the dynamite for?"

"When the men that are quitting are dealt with, we're going to have to dig the rest out. The quickest way is to open up those two buildings with dynamite. It may not kill many, but the shock value is as good as ten men."

"I'll have it ready. Who is going to lay it in place?"

"I will." Just then a man eased out the door of the dance hall with his hands in the air. I grabbed him and asked him what his business in town was.

"I was just getting ready to jump into bed with Rosy when I started hearing gun fire. Then she ran out of the room and didn't come back. After I got my clothes on somebody said there were troopers out front and one had been shot. I want no part of this. This could make me swear off women for the rest of my life."

"You had better get out of town then. Where is your horse?"

"At the freight yard."

"Get it saddled and ride."

"I'm gone." I shunted six more cowhands who had been drinking at the bar to the freight yard and they left all in a rush. I had Proctor detain one man who gave me answers that didn't sound right. I took him through the back door of the jail and locked him in the other cell next to the sheriff. He paled some when he had to step over the dead deputy that was still lying in the hall. The sheriff spoke to my latest prisoner by name which made me think they knew each other. I'd deal with him later.

Brickland came out the door and came up to me and Kenny Proctor. "I did what I said I would. I'm leaving town now." The Pinkerton agent came up behind Proctor while Brickland was speaking to me. "Kenneth, Brickland is one man I have been trying to locate. The paper work on him is back at the ranch. Don't let him get away. He is part of the old Quantrill gang."

Proctor looked at me and said, "Lock him up. We'll look into it later." I nodded and took him by the arm and went back into the jail. I put him in with the last prisoner. The sheriff's face fell when he saw that the attorney was being locked up. I shrugged. I knew from Winnie's journal that the lawyer had taken money to represent the ranchers and then he turned on them and represented the Scalawags.

That done, I went to Pete and he handed me several sticks of dynamite. I intended to blow the back off the two buildings. One problem, there was no place to put it where it would be very effective. I puzzled over this for a minute. "Pete, find me some water and a pail of clay if it is handy. I'll need a bar or something to dig a hole under the timber foundation."

Soon I had five sticks of dynamite spaced under the foundation of the dance hall each one located six feet apart. I looked around and I had enough people to take care of both buildings if I did them both at the same time. I cut the fuses so that I would have time to light them all and have them burn down to go off approximately at the same time.

"Everyone get ready, I'm lighting them in five minutes. Find a safe place so you don't get hit by flying boards and timbers. Remember, just as soon as those inside stop firing at us, you're to cease as well. We aren't out to kill them. I want them to face the judge for their crimes." I paused and then grinned. "But then if they are firing on us, don't hesitate to protect yourselves."

I looked over my force consisting of the Mexicans, a few troopers, and a few ranchers. I lit my torch and started at the edge of the dance hall and began lighting fuses. When lit, I threw down the torch and ran down the alley so I wasn't behind these two buildings. Twenty seconds later the dynamite went off.

It peeled the backs of both buildings off and we could see inside clear to the front door. One man began shooting at us from inside the dance hall. A burst of gunfire silenced him. In the saloon where most of the Scalawags were, it took a couple of minutes for them to get organized. Soon gunfire was coming at us from there as well.

Those of our force from across the street in front joined us in returning fire. Finally after fifteen minutes, I couldn't hear anymore firing from there and I signaled the cease fire. We could hear men in agony from inside the building. A weak, "Don't shoot," was heard. Abby and Duffy came up beside me and we three went into the Dance hall.

The blast had done more damage than I thought possible. Three men were on the floor without a mark on them. They were dead though. Two men were still alive, but terribly confused. They had splinters sticking from their bodies. They didn't look serious though. We found Ezra Sloan dead with multiple gunshot wounds. He was the one who fired at us after the blast.

There was even more carnage in the saloon. Three of the eleven men had been near the back wall when the charge exploded. Maybe they could be identified and maybe not. Their bodies were badly messed up.

Brian Sloan was wounded, but still alive and the rest of his men had various wounds. While we were checking, one more of the men died. "Pete, would you haul these dead men out of here. Get the dead deputy from the jail and put his body with them. I'll have to get some men to start digging graves."

Duffy said, "Riley, why do you have to do everything? Get the townspeople to take care of the details. They let this crowd in here." I looked at him and decided he had it right. I headed over to the general store. I suspected that the town council would be there. Sam Pickens might still be on the council.

I walked in. "Hi Sam. Are you still head of the town council?"

"Yeah. Riley, what in hell are you doing? You've brought a bunch of troops into town and you have killed off several of our citizens. You've run a bunch more of them out of town. Who gives you that authority?"

"This badge gives me some of it. I can think of two ranchers and some of their crew who have been killed. Their cattle have been rounded up and sold off."

I stopped speaking and then continued, "And they also killed my wife. Just that in my mind gives me the right. I didn't just come in and start killing either. I got in touch with the federal authorities and there is a Federal Judge, A Federal Prosecutor and another Federal Marshal set up in the bank and they will be holding court session tomorrow. I didn't ask for, but a troop of cavalry was transferred here to enforce the prosecutor's and the judge's orders."

"How do you know your wife was killed? As far as we know she left town."

"I found her body. She left a note while she was dying telling me Bert Innes shot her because she wouldn't stand still for him attempting her rape. I have her remains and I have her note written in a journal."

"Bert Innes? I don't believe it. He's our best citizen and he owns the bank."

"Yes, and do you know where the money to open the bank came from?"

"No idea."

"You've heard of Lawrence, Kansas haven't you? Innes was the one who converted the loot into cash from that raid. Judge Kelly has a warrant for his arrest. It has been served. Now I have some questions. Do you have someone to bury the dead? Also there are several wounded men across the street. A doctor and some nurses are needed."

Sam turned to the two other council members and they conferred out of my hearing. Finally Sam came back to me. "We've decided, you killed and wounded them. It's your problem." I stared at him, not believing what I was hearing.

"Okay, but they are going to begin to smell by tomorrow. There will be more too. I suspect that three of the men and maybe more are going to be hanging by their necks down by the town fountain before the judge leaves town next week. You also might think about what would have happened to this town if Quantrill's raiders had hit here instead of Lawrence. They've hit several isolated ranches and did the same thing there instead of here in the village. I'm busy right now, so I'll leave you to think about it." I stomped out.

What was I going to do to resolve this? The townspeople hadn't been troubled much by those who had come in and taken over. Sure they looked down on the Mexicans, but the ranchers did too. I went over to the bank and the lieutenant of the cavalry was talking to the federal marshal.

"Sir, I have several wounded men and I have several dead men to deal with. I'm getting no help from the people here in town. Would you have any suggestions?"

"The dead are no problem. I'll detail a trooper to identify them if he can and I'll have a detail dig a trench to bury them in. The wounded ones, I don't think I can help you with. Isn't there a doctor in town?"

"No, there isn't. There's a Mexican woman who looks after her people, but this would be beyond her ability."

"How about those new people who are outside of town? They didn't take sides and I understand it is against their religion to fight, but they might have someone who could give some aid."

"I didn't think of them. I'll ride out and check. Also, maybe you could guard these men whom we have corralled. There isn't enough room for but one more prisoner in the jail"

"Sure, I can have that done. Sergeant, would you see to getting it done?"

"Yes Sir."

"Thank you, Lieutenant."

"Glad to help. I must say you marshaled your forces quite effectively. I ended up with only one trooper being wounded and you saw to it that we could get him out of harms way as soon as possible." I gave the lieutenant a half salute and went to find my horse.


I rode into the Mennonite camp and an older man named, Jacob Rotterman, came out from between a couple of wagons to see what I wanted. "Sir, we've had some problems in town. We have several men wounded and I was hoping I could get you to provide some aid for them. Most are under arrest, but still need care."

"We heard the shooting and of course we'll help if we can. You are wearing a badge, what is your office?"

"My name is Riley McBain and I'm a Deputy Federal Marshal. We've gathered all the wounded in one building and there will be an officer present to make sure you are safe."

"Marshal, we have a surgeon who had at one time credentials to practice and use the facilities at the main hospital in Hamburg, Germany. He is eminently qualified."

"Good, just what we need. Will he be setting up a practice here? We don't have a doctor, and he will be welcomed."

"Not sure. He was a doctor, but has retired. Now he just wants to have a small farm, but he may still practice a little. I know if he is needed he won't let anyone suffer. He has a covenant with God.

"I'm sure the community will welcome you."

"Let me tell the doctor he is needed and then I have some questions for you. In fact I'll ride into town if you have a minute to give me some attention."

"Certainly, if I'm not too busy. It would be better though if you could wait a few days." I only waited a few minutes. I was introduced to the doctor and two women who came out with him. The only vehicle they had to ride in was one of the heavy wagons that they had arrived here in. It was still full of household goods. When we reached town, I had them park in front of Sloan's saloon and led them inside. Most of the injured were lying on blankets with a blanket rolled up for a pillow.

I found out the Doctor's name was Hesikiah Dittermier and the women were Hannah and Maria. The two were sisters. The doctor was wearing sober black clothes with a white shirt. The women were in long dresses, one light blue and the other lavender. Both had on full dress aprons of a heavy cloth and a white cap, much like a close fitting bonnet. All three wore heavy shoes for footwear.

The doctor set to work examining the injuries. He directed the two women in applying the bandages. Some he administered a draught to relieve the patient's pain. Brian Sloan was carrying a spent bullet high up on his right shoulder and the doctor prepared to operate using the bar for an operating table.

I was pulled aside by the man I had first talked to. He spoke reasonably good English and had been the leader who had guided these people here to this country. He wanted some questions answered. "I have corresponded for more than a year with a man named Bert Innes, a banker. I talked to him yesterday and I sent two of my people out to look at land. They returned and said he had been arrested. Where does that leave us?"

"I can't really say. First let me explain the situation here. I must remind you that our country has been through a war recently. The old order of things hasn't been settled yet. This state of Texas joined the war which turned out to be on the losing side.

"Some people on the losing side quit the war early, and after looking over the situation felt they could gain control of this valley for their own profit. These Scalawags came here and took control. They killed and drove out several of the people who had settled this land a generation ago. My father was an original settler.

"I joined the war on the side who won, leaving my wife to hold onto my ranch while fighting for the Union, which I had strong faith in. Two years ago our stock was stolen and sold off. Bert Innes, the banker you were corresponding with, shot my wife in the back and she died soon afterward. He claims my ranch for his own and I have no doubt that this was the land where he was going to place your people."

"Sir, this is a terrible thing to happen to us. We trusted this man and have given him a third of the price of what we require for a farm. Will the money be returned to us so we can search for some other place to settle?"

"I would suggest that you go across the street and talk to Judge Kelly. He has taken over the bank and he can advise you. I know the teller that is employed there. He is a good responsible person. Innes hired him because he knew the people who lived here. I don't know what the judge has in mind to straighten out this mess, but it will be fair."

"Thank you. You don't seem to resent us being here looking for land. Why is that?"

"Maybe because I see that we not only need a town with people and ranches and ranchers, but families who raise farm goods as well. The valley has been pretty safe from the Indians so far, but that may change. The more people who live here the better protected we will be."

"We had been told that there would be no Indian trouble in this location. Are you saying there could be?"

"Definitely. The risk is small, but it can't be discounted and will be for several more years." Jacob was shaking his head as he went across the street to the bank. The doctor came up to me when he saw I was free.

"Sir, we need beds for the injured. These patients will not recover lying on the floor."

"Okay, I'll find you someplace for them."

I went up the stairs to the top floor. There had to be some bedrooms up there for those who hung around here. The rooms were extremely filthy. Their condition reflected the people who lived in them. The building should be burned down and totally eliminated. I came down and went across to the dance hall and bordello. Maybe the women living and working there took better care of their quarters. I wondered for a second where they were staying right now?

These rooms were much better cared for. There was no back wall on the building and there was but relatively little damage to the rooms otherwise. The bodies that were here on the first floor when I left had been removed. Pete the Mexican came wandering in. "Pete what happened to the girls that came out of here?"

"They are waiting and hoping they will have a room to sleep in. They doubt they could get a room in the hotel, being shunned as they are. They don't have a way to leave town either. They are stuck here with no place to live."

"I suspected they might be. If you can find me Abby, I'd like to talk to her. In the meantime could you get some of your relatives to move these beds down to the first floor? The doctor wants the worst of the injured in beds."

"You have a doctor? Where'd you find him?"

"He is one of the Mennonites and a farmer, but knows doctoring." He's operating over to the Sloan saloon right now. Brian Sloan had a bullet in him and the doctor is removing it."

"Fix him up and then hang him, is that it?"

"Pretty much. Don't feel sorry for him, I don't."

"I don't either." I ran into Abby when I was going down to the jail.

"Abby, what can I do with those fallen angels that came out of the dance hall?"

"I was wondering about that. I talked to a couple of them. They don't have much for money or possessions. They just need time to decide what they are going to do and where to go."

"What do you think about taking them out to the ranch and letting them stay in the bunk house. That's empty."

"And then what are we going to do with them?"

"Find them a husband and marry them off."

"Who would want them?"

"Abby, there are enough single cowhands that would marry anyone of them."

"That won't work. They'll be looked down on by everyone. Look at me. I'm a divorced woman and I was looked down on just for that reason."

"Not since you came here."

"No Riley, but that is because only you know my situation. No one else knows about my past."

"Let that be their problem. Cowhands are a moving bunch. Some of them have wives. If they don't like the way they are treated, they'll just pick up and move on."

"Well you can try it by letting them stay at the ranch, but I don't think it will work."

"Abby, would you talk to them? Tell them that if they don't want to try and find a husband, we'll give them passage on the stage to the next town. In the meantime, they can sleep in the bunk house. We've moved most of the beds downstairs over at the dance hall, but for tonight the women can pair up in a couple of rooms. They might help out nursing a bit if so inclined."

"Okay, just for you, I'll talk to them." I went on down to the jail. I pulled attorney Brickland out and marched him over to the bank.

"Judge, I brought the lawyer over. I want to make sure the trials are done right." I turned to the prosecutor. "Kenny, would you explain who you have warrants for. Show them to him. You won't need them all because several of the men whom the warrants were for are dead already. Let Brickland read them. About all he can do is to ask for leniency anyway."

"Good enough." It was two hours later when I escorted the attorney back to his jail cell. Prosecutor Proctor now knew who the men were he was going to prosecute. There were only two cells in the jail. I put Banker Innes and Attorney Brickland into one cell and Sheriff Parker and the man we had picked up coming out of the dance hall with the cowhands who we had told get out of town. This one had been identified and was also connected to Quantrill's Raiders.

I went back to the dance hall to see how the doctor was doing. Abby was there. I informed her that the women would make out here in town tonight okay ... the ones I had suggested using my bunkhouse. Then I asked, "Will you please go out to the ranch tonight and sleep? I want you to get away from everything that happened today."

"No, I'm sleeping at Pete's sister's house. I found out you and she had a past and I want to learn all about you that I can."

"She's a sweet person. My past with her was back when we went to school together. I was pretty sweet on her at one time, but then I met Winnie and she met Raul. I understand she has children?"

"Four of them. I'd like kids some day. Maybe not four though."

"I'd like kids too. That's another thing to blame the war for interrupting our life."

"I know, Riley, but maybe the future will smooth out for you. Me too, for that matter."

"We could work on the future together?"

"That sounds good to me." The doctor was staying the night. He asked if he could use a conveyance to go home in the morning.

"I'll let you have a gig that belongs to Banker Innes. You can keep it for your own use if you need it."

"It would be handy."

"It's yours. I doubt Innes will be using it." He didn't ask why that was and I was glad the question wasn't put to me. It had been a long day.

Pete found me. "Riley, come on over to Mama's. She has a big pot of chili. Duffy and Red will be there. You haven't seen Mama long time. She hug you."

"I'll bet she will and I'll hug her right back. Uh, will Abby be there?"

"Of course."

I had many friends in the Mexican community and several made a point to come in and say hi to me while we had a final glass of tiswin. Someone had brewed this recently and wanted me to sample it. Myself, I would go for beer made with hops for flavor. Afterward Duffy, Red and I went down to the livery stable and sacked out. I wasn't worried about the jail or the wounded prisoners at the saloon. The troopers were guarding, them although I had made provision for them to be fed before going with Pete for my own supper.


We all came down out of the hay mow early, rubbing the sleep from our eyes. Abby was waiting for us. "You guys overslept. This is going to be a big day for the ranchers. I still can't figure out the town's people. They aren't happy about what we are doing at all."

"I know, but if we hadn't done something they would have known. Scum doesn't rise to the top for awhile but it does eventually. It just hadn't happened to them yet. Let's go up to the diner and eat. The owner up there was pretty pleased with the order I put in to feed the prisoners."

The Judge and Kenny came into the diner from the hotel across the street. Marshal Blue paused at the entrance of the hotel and looked up and down the street. Finally he settled onto the bench that was on the veranda and rolled a smoke. The prosecutor stopped at the table where I was sitting. "Riley, we've got to have more information on these people before we try them. Your wife's testimony is excellent, but it isn't enough. The man who tried to get away from the dance hall might be someone with direct knowledge of what crimes the others have committed.

"Kenny and McBain, would you get him alone and see if you can break him. Threaten him with hanging if you have to. If that doesn't work, give him partial immunity from prosecution. Not total immunity, but he would only have to serve a couple of years in the cavalry. His name is Dennis Buckhorn and he is known as one of Quantrill's raiders. His job was to hold horses for them, so he wasn't that important. He was only a kid at the time."

"Sure, I can do that. What time are you calling court to order?"

"Soon. You talk to Buckhorn and see what you can find out. I want what I can get on the sheriff and Innes. Brian Sloan doesn't stand out that much, but he might be more important than we know. Someone must be Innes' partner in all of this. It may have been Brian's brother, Ezra, but I don't think so."

"How about, Brickland, the attorney?"

"Riley, he's crooked, but I don't feel he rises to the level of being in charge of what they were pulling off." He paused and then went on. "We are finding out a lot about their dealings by examining the bank records. There is a great amount of money in the bank that came with Innes and the Judge is looking into it. I'll know more by the time court is in session. I suspect it is money that came from Quantrill's raid. If it is, I'll confiscate it and split it among the ranchers who have lost so much.

"There is also the Tim Long ranch that has no owner now. I'll have to decide what to do with that too."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.