Boston to Birmingham - Cover

Boston to Birmingham

Copyright© 2014 by qhml1

Chapter 1

All right, all you lawyers, students of the law, or just plain nitpickers, listen up. I don't know shit about law, I drive a forklift for a living.

The part of writing fiction I love is just that, it's fiction. I don't know if Alabama even has a three strike law, but for the sake of this story it does. Read it as what it is, escapism.


The little girl was squirming on her lap, making it pretty hard to put her hair up in the French braid she loved so much. She had never seen a five year old with so much hair.

"Crystal Anne! Stop, right this minute, or we're going to be late for church. What in the world is wrong with you?"

"Granny, cousin Billy said you was a Yankee, That's not so, is it?"

"First of all young lady It's were, not was. Here comes Gramps, why don't you ask him."


Gwen noticed her standing in the doorway of her office, An odd expression on her face.

She was her husband's oldest friend, moving from Birmingham to Boston with him when he relocated. Gwen had never really liked her. Her name was Crystal Ann Montgomery, but everybody called her 'Dixie'. Short, stacked, a redhead with green eyes. Between her killer good looks and soft Southern drawl, she had the males at the firm completely whipped, even the married ones. All she had to do was suggest something and it became policy.

She flirted shamelessly, but was never improper. She never dated in house, but was seen on the arm of many eligible men over the years. Oddly, she had never settled down.

"Something I can help you with, Crystal Anne?"

She would be damned if she ever called her by her nickname.

"I been hearin' things, sugar, bad things. Thought I might drop by, see if there was anything to it."

Her green eyes were frosty, no friendliness at all in them.

Her comment made Gwen angry.

"What you hear and don't hear is none of my business. Now, I'm sure you have better things to do."

Crystal refused to be baited.

"Sorry sugar [she pronounced it 'shugah', her accent became more pronounced when she was pissed], when you married Hardy you became my business. Honestly, I've never liked you and don't give a rats ass what happens to you. I tried my best to talk him out of marrying you.

"But love is blind, and in his case stupid, and he did it anyway. Now you've fucked over him, and for his sake I'm giving you fair warning."

She paused to clarify her thoughts.

"He's not the man he led you to believe. You actually know very little about him. He didn't tell you because he was ashamed of part of it and afraid the other parts would scare you away."

"I tell you this for your own good. He's an Old Testament kind of guy, and is a firm believer in the 'eye for an eye' school of thought. When he finds out what you've done, you better not be anywhere close to him or it could end up very badly for you. Just so we're clear here, I'm not telling you this to protect you, but him."

By now Gwen was angry. First she didn't know what she was talking about, and second her life was none of her business.

Dripping sarcasm, she spoke.

"Well, Miss Montgomery, let me thank you for your concern, however scant it appears to be. But Hardy and I are just fine, despite what you hear.

Now, I'm sure you have work to do."

If she thought that would make her scurry away she was badly mistaken.

"Oh, don't worry about me, sugar. I'm on lunch. If you're just fine with your husband, why did Allen post 'BLOND ON BLOND IS BACK!' on his corporate Facebook? I'm leaving now, I just wanted to have this talk to see if I could save Hardy some pain."

"But you're either in denial or just don't care.

I've said my piece, but I will leave you with this."

"Like I said, I did it for Hardy, not you. You need to remember, he's not one of those Ivy League Yankee boys you're used to. There won't be any counseling or exploration of feelings. He'll go straight to your ass."

"Parting shot here, what you may not know is the one thing Hardy hates above anything else is a cheater. And when he kicks you to the curb, I'm gonna be there to try and catch him on the rebound."

"I've loved him since I was fourteen years old, and I'd die before I'd cheat on him. I intend to be on him quicker than a hen on a June bug."

"Ya'll have a nice day, sugar."

With that she sauntered out the door, turning the head of every man in the hallway.


Gwen sat in shock, before accessing his Facebook account.

There it was, for every one to see.

"Man, the trip to Paris was a huge success. The negotiations went very well, and more importantly,

BLOND ON BLOND IS BACK! Things can't get much better."

Blond on blond was his pet name for them when they were intimate. He was something of a poser, and grew his hair long to give him what he mentally called his 'rebel' look. He said with both having long, beautiful locks[his description, not hers]made them a beautiful couple. Her Dad and most of the senior staff thought he looked girlish, but he was damn good at his job so they left him alone.

She reached for the phone, dialing his extension. He recognized her number.

"Hi, babes. What's up?"

"Allan, are you insane? What's with the 'blond on blond' crack on your Facebook? Are you trying to get me divorced, or both of us fired? If Dad gets wind of this you'll be fired in a heartbeat, and it won't go well for me either. I don't think he would fire his only child, but who knows."

She was practically screaming at him by the end.

"Hold on there, babe. Your Dad would never fire you, you're the second best contract lawyer he's got, right behind me. Everything will be cool, just stay calm."

Not assured, she tried to reason with him.

"Look, Paris was a mistake. If I hadn't been drunk and let you talk me into that line of coke it would never had happen. We DO NOT want my husband to find out."

Allan was not perturbed. He wanted everyone to find out, he wanted Gwen back. He almost had her until her Dad brought that hick up from Alabama.

"You sure didn't think it was a mistake when you were screaming my name. Joe Redneck doesn't scare me, remember I'm a third degree black belt. I won't go looking for him, but if he pushes he'll get more than his feelings hurt."

"Damn Allan, have the drugs scrambled your brains? Don't sell him short, he did two tours in Iraq. He's kinda used to killing people. Now, keep your mouth shut, understand?"

He had no intention of keeping his mouth shut, but he wanted to keep her calm so he agreed.

When she hung up he reclined back into his chair, smiling. He almost had her once, and this time he was going to hold on to her. He knew her weaknesses and intended to exploit them.

She was beautiful, fairly intelligent, but more importantly, she was the only child and sole heir to her father's estate when he passes, not to mention the massive trust fund her grandmother had left her. All told it ran into three to four hundred million, give or take. Yes, life was going to be very good to him in the near future. Smiling, he lifted the phone.


Gwen sat at her desk, fuming. How had she let herself get drawn into this mess? She hoped Allen would honor his word. Looking at the picture on her desk, she thought back to her courtship.

She had chased him, relentlessly. His Southern charm, rugged good looks, and animal magnetism drew every woman to him like a moth to a flame. He didn't appear to notice it, and treated every one of them with respect, but his habit of looking them directly into their eyes like they were the only woman on earth worthy of his gaze unnerved and aroused them. One once described his look as controlled, but with something primal and dangerous lurking just below the surface.

"Who is that?" She asked her paralegal one day, watching him walk down the hall.

Lisa laughed. "Down, girl! That's Hardy Wilkes, the new lawyer your father brought up from the Birmingham office. He handles all the pro bono work now. He's pretty, but he's a loner. I don't think he's gay, but he doesn't seem to have much interest in women. I gave him a run, and he basically ignored all the signals."

Gwen brought him up at her regular Sunday lunch with her Dad.

"I hear you brought a lawyer up from the Alabama office. Is he any good?"

She often wondered why he kept the Birmingham office open. Her great grandfather had opened the office as a favor to a steel baron who he represented. It was a good move, and eventually they had almost all the old steel magnates as clients.

But the steel business was almost completely gone now. The office was just a courtesy to the few surviving tycoons. But still, it was profitable and seemed to have a place in her Dads' heart.

Her Dad laughed.

"Leave it to you to notice when a handsome man joins the firm. His name is Hardy Wilkes. He grew up in a small county up north of Birmingham. Went to college on the GI bill. We fund a scholarship at his college and I met him there.

He'll fool you with that Good Ol' Boy charm and then destroy you before you realize there's a brilliant mind under that exterior. I saw him eat up a practicing lawyer at a mock trial when he was in his second year. I recruited him on the spot. When he got his license he went to work for me. He doesn't seem to be motivated by money, so I let him run the pro bono section in Birmingham.

He was fairly selective, only taking cases where he thought they were innocent, and has a 93% success rate."

He looked at her speculatively. She had a habit of falling in love inopportunely. She had been engaged twice, and both times they fell through when she cheated.

"Leave him alone, Gwen. You have no idea how he thinks. He has no experience with your world, and I don't think he would fit. Plus, I don't think you could control him, and I know how important that is to you."

"Daddy! Really, do you think I pursue every man I think attractive?"

He just sat back and smiled.


It was an uphill battle. He was polite, he was nice, he just wasn't interested. She was enough of a spoiled little rich girl to let that offend her greatly.

Finally, she had him trapped. It was a black tie dinner for Amnesty International, a fundraising effort on the part of her father. He supported the group privately and publicly, donating resources as well as money. He was a keynote speaker, but it had been a particular nasty winter in Boston, and he had a case of the flu bad enough to be hospitalized overnight. He was home now, but was in no shape for the event, so he asked Hardy as a personal favor to give his speech. He would represent the firm, she would represent the family. She showed up in a limo to pick him up.

Gwen spent a good deal of time and money to look her very best. Long, shimmering gray dress by a prominent designer, diamond necklace, bracelets and ear studs. Her long tawny blond hair styled to perfection. She took his breath away.

He wore a standard black tux, but she thought he was very handsome in it. His almost platinum blond hair styled very nicely, his piercing grey eyes and gleaming white teeth made him a very presentable package.

The local press was out in force, this was a big event and most all the movers and shakers in the area would be there. When they arrived, as hosts and primary donor, they had their picture taken almost the whole time they were there. They were on the front page, in the business section, as well as the social section in Sundays' paper.

The front page identified them as Gwen Canaday, contract law specialist and daughter of the principal partner and C.E.O. of Canaday and Associates, and Hardy Wilkes, recently of Birmingham, prominent defense attorney of the same firm.

The business section had a spread on the economics of pro bono defense cases for large firms, and of course the society page speculated whether they were a couple or not, and if the "Canaday wild child" was finally settling down.

The night was a success in terms of money raised and pro bono hours committed by various firms. Hardy gave an impassioned speech about the importance of the cause.

They mingled, her clinging to his arm like it was a lifeline, saying it would keep the wolves at bay. She was careful to be well behaved but occasionally flirty, with light touches and whispered observations. By the end of the night she was much more sober than usual, while he on the other hand had more wine than his norm.

The ride back was relaxed. She sat close but was careful not to smother. She had the feeling he would bolt if she came on too strong. He delivered her to her fathers' mansion instead of her townhouse, and to her surprise agreed to a coffee before he left. Forty five minutes of conversation and a gentle kiss, and he was gone.

She felt like a fifteen year old, hugging herself behind the door as he left. She had forgotten how good that felt. Then she went to check on her father before retiring into her old room. Her last thoughts were of his smile as she drifted out to sleep.

After that, she found one function or another that required him escorting her.

"Just business, you know."

Soon, they were dating.


It was a difficult courtship, mostly because she had to do the courting. He was smitten badly, but refused to act on it.

The first thing she did was end her relationship with Allan. He was smart, fun to be with, and above average in size and bedroom skills. Their occasional use of what he liked to call "recreational pharmaceuticals" enhanced the experience, but made her uneasy afterwards. Plus, she didn't love him.

He did not take it well at first, then calmed down and wished her well, reminding her if she needed someone, he was there for her.

Her Dad gave her a serious lecture after her intentions became known.

"Leave him alone, baby. He's a good man, and you could destroy him without any effort at all. He's from a different world. His values and long range plans are probably nowhere near yours, if you even have plans. You'll end up breaking his heart."

"Oh, Daddy, don't worry, it's nothing serious. I won't hurt him, he probably won't remember me in two years. I like him, he's fun."

At home, she was deciding if Gwen Canaday-Wilkes

would sound as good to others if it did to her.

After they got comfortable with each other, he spent part of every date telling her why there could never be a long term relationship between them.

"I'm almost ten years older than you. I have no money other than the generous salary your Dad gives me. I can't compete in your world, and don't really care to. I'm a simple man, you're as complicated as quantum theory physics. I want a quiet life, with a good woman and two or three children. I don't think you care for kids."

She was actually offended, and gave him his first dose of her temper.

"How would you know what I want? You've never cared to ask. Maybe I want the same thing, maybe money, travel, and power isn't as satisfying as the love of a good man. You'll never know unless you give me a chance."

"Sure, I like money and I'm used to it, but when I measure a man I don't really think of it. I've got enough money now than most people can earn in a hundred lifetimes, and that's not counting what I inherit from Daddy. Earnings potential isn't what I'm looking for, love is."

She calmed down a bit and teased him gently.

"Sorry honey, but sometimes you can be so dense. Are you sure you're a lawyer? I hope you kiss better than you argue."

Up until now, the sixth date, all she had gotten was a soft goodnight peck. She was sexually and emotionally frustrated, the longest it had taken to get a man in bed before was two dates, if she wanted.

Apparently she had gotten to him, she had never seen his eyes so intense. He looked ... primal.

Grasping her firmly, he kissed her soundly, and with a good bit of passion. She stiffened at first, but soon surrendered to the feelings.

She felt overwhelmed, possessed, and loved all rolled into one. When he finally broke away, the only sound in the room was their ragged breathing.

He abruptly rose, gave her a curt goodnight, and strode out of her townhouse. By the time she had gathered herself and rushed to the door he was long gone.

She leaned against the door jamb and smiled.

"Gotcha."


Her father was not pleased. Not at all.

"Don't do this, Gwen. It will only end badly."

"Please, Daddy, be happy for me. I truly do love him. Just think, in a few years I'll turn into the grandchild factory you've been wanting."

"You know he asked me for your hand? Who does that anymore? He's the best man I've ever met, Gwen, I mean it. There's a lot potential in that man. If there's the least bit of uncertainty, let him go."

"I'll hold that man 'til the day I die. I promise you Daddy."


She conquered him on the ninth date.

It was an art benefit. To her surprise he knew quite a bit about the subject. He loved impressionists and old masters, wasn't to keen on surrealists and modern art.

"Pollack? Really? The man threw paint at canvasses, something a monkey could do."

She loved "The Scream" for what she called the raw emotionalism. But she also liked folk art, and the Wyeth family.

Their playful argument drew a crowd, and soon several others joined the debate. One woman seemed just a bit too friendly, and Gwen found herself in the unusual position of defending her property. She tried to keep between Hardy and the woman, but was unsuccessful several times. It didn't help that the woman was drop dead beautiful, even if she was a little older. Plus, the clothes, the jewelery, the general attitude of the woman screamed 'MONEY'. Hardy caught on, and teased her by paying what she thought was undue attention to the woman. She caught her in the ladies room.

"That Hardy sure is a fine looking man. I'd love to see his legal briefs sometime."

The other ladies laughed, one even said she heard they weren't brief at all.

Gwen had all she could stand.

"Back off bitch. He's mine!"

She smiled sweetly, pissing her off more.

"You don't have to convince me, darling, you have to convince him."

She practically hung on him like wallpaper the rest of the evening.

"Why did you do that?"

They were in the car headed home.

"Do what?"

"You know what. Flirt with that bitch. Couldn't she see you were mine? She's too old for you anyway, she must be what, forty? That was mean."

"That bitch, as you so elegantly put it, is one of our clients. Old money from Birmingham. I helped her nephew in a small matter once, a few years back. She was teasing you, just to see how you'd react. And she's thirty nine, just four years older than me"

"Besides" he grinned "Who said I was yours?"

It caught her off guard.

"Well, that is, I mean to say..."

"Honey, better stick to contract law. I'd slaughter you in court."

She could see he was laughing at her. She slapped his shoulder.

"I'm just starting to see what a sneaky devil you are. And for your information, you're mine 'cause I say you are. Because I want you to be."

She could feel his eyes on her in the dark.

"Be careful what you want, little girl. It might turn out to be something totally different after you've got it."

She answered in the same serious tone.

"I always get what I want, and if it's a little different I can work with it, make it better."

His mood changed suddenly. He was grinning again.

"Why counselor, that sounds like a merger proposal. Are you willing to negotiate?"

She smiled back.

"Yes I am. I'm sure I could bring a very good offer to the table."

They had pulled up outside her townhouse. When he got out to escort her to her door, she turned and dismissed the driver.

"Well," he said, staring at the disappearing taillights, "there goes my ride home."

"Don't worry, my darling, I'll get you home."

As she turned to unlock her door she said under her breath "Eventually".

She put on a pot of coffee, his weakness. He was a coffee junkie, constantly buying expensive brews and experimenting. He got hooked in Iraq, after drinking the local crop. He used to laugh that lots of guys came back with bad habits, but he was the only one he knew who was a caffeine addict. She always had a few exotic blends on hand.

Excusing herself, she slipped out of her dress and into a short robe. When she returned and sat, his eyes immediately went to her legs. She knew she had very nice legs, so she wiggled around a bit for his benefit before tucking them underneath her on the couch.

He had prepared the coffee, and they sat, sipping in companionable silence.

"I think you owe me something for being mean to me tonight."

He was startled, brought out of his reflections by the abruptness of her words.

"What would you consider a fair payment?"

She crawled across to straddle him.

Holding his head in her hands, she said "I consider ten kisses to be a good start. After that we'll negotiate."

The first two were gentle probings, the next two more demanding. She pulled back.

"Whew, I've never been so hot during negotiations, I need to be a little more comfortable."

She untied the robe and let it fall open. There was nothing underneath but her. His eyes flew wide and then narrowed, hooded by lust.

As his hands slipped underneath and began stroking her body, she sighed contentedly.

"Much better."

By the sixth kiss the robe was on the floor. He abandoned her mouth, concentrating on her neck, trailing down to her nipples. They were hard enough to cut glass by the time his tongue left them. She could feel him growing under her. Arching her back, she ground against him.

"I think," she said, breathing heavily, "I think..."

She didn't get to finish her thought before his lips clamped down on hers. He rose easily, sliding an arm underneath her legs. Even in her arousal she marveled at his strength.

Carrying her into the bedroom he threw her down, and started removing his clothes. She lay on the bed admiring him, admired the power radiating out of him, before she scrambled to the edge and started helping him.

When his pants and boxers fell to the floor, she got a nice surprise. His cock wasn't the biggest she ever saw, that guy was a freak of nature, but it was very nice, very nice indeed.

She grabbed it, trying to pull it to her mouth. He stopped her, threw her back on the bed, grabbed her legs, and rammed it all the way in on the first thrust. She came instantly, with a scream.

No gentleness, no words of endearment, just a firm and steady pounding, increasing in speed and strength for about twenty minutes. She screamed her way through two more orgasms before she felt him stiffen, then collapse on her. She was gasping for breath, while he was breathing slowly, regularly. He hadn't made the first sound while they coupled.

She finally found her voice.

"Wow. That was great, I can't..."

That was all she got out before he flipped her over, grabbing her hips and pulling her onto her knees.

"He can't possibly be ready again" she thought,

"wonder what..."

That was the last of her coherent thoughts as he rammed home again, just as hard as he was before.

It probably lasted half an hour this time, but she had no idea. She came again within two minutes, screaming his name. Then he slowed down, varying speed, depth, rhythm, sliding to the side, moving her up and down like she weighed nothing. Soon she was begging for release, but he teased her another five minutes before thrusting, pushing her over the top. She thought at one time she passed out, only to regain her senses as she orgasmed yet again. When he finally collapsed and spooned her to him, she was asleep within seconds.

She was still sleeping the next morning when she felt drops of water hitting her face. Looking up, she saw him freshly showered, wrapped in a towel, flicking water off his body.

"Good morning, sleepy head! Wouldn't happen to have a razor lying around, would you? If I kissed you now it would feel like sandpaper."

She rippled across the bed, making sure he took in her toned body as she moved.

"And do you intend to kiss me?"

His smile was radiant.

"As the man in the movie said, 'hard and often', but if you prefer it rough..."

He leaned over and rubbed his cheek across her stomach, it did feel like sandpaper.

"Ouch! You've made your point."

Gwen scrambled off the bed and found him a razor.

"Hope the color pink doesn't offend you masculine sensibilities" she giggled, handing him the razor.

"It'll be our little secret" he grinned back.

"Tell me what you like and I'll make sure we have some next time."

His cool grey eyes looked into her ice blue ones.

"Are you sure there's going to be a next time?"

She looked back, just as seriously.

"No, there's not going to be a next time. There's going to be lots of times."

It was the right answer.

Hardy shaved as she showered. She stuck her head out.

"Honey, would you wash my back?"

Moving to the shower he took in her glorious body. water cascading off her breasts and flowing down to her shaven pubes. Abandoning all pretense, he climbed into the shower with her, for what would be the second of three showers he would take that morning.

Soon he had her in his arms again, carrying her to the bed, not even stopping to towel off. Once again she was tossed on the bed.

"Damn", she thought, "he must be a throwback to the cavemen. I wonder if he does anything with a woman besides pound her?"

The thought was answered quick enough when he dropped to his knees beside the bed and pulled her to him, his tongue finding her pussy with the accuracy of a guided missile. She feared an onslaught, but he was very gentle, at first.

She didn't scream when she climaxed because it took her breath away. She couldn't even beg him to stop as he kept up his relentless licking, sucking, and nibbling. It was only after the second one, when she felt like she was trying to squeeze his head off his shoulders, before she found her voice.

"Please, baby, no more, not right now, let me res..." was all she got out before he was on the bed between her knees. After a few hard minutes he rolled over, putting her on top. Gwen didn't know where she found the strength to ride him, but she gave it all she had. Losing count of the orgasms, she felt him grip her a little tighter, thrust a little harder, then hold her in place for a minute. She could actually feel him pulsing inside her.

They lay intertwined for a few minutes before he rose.

"Wanna take another shower and start again?"

"No, baby, let me lay here for awhile."

She looked at his back and ass as he went into the bathroom. Who knew there were that many muscles under those suits?

"It's not supposed to be like this" she thought,

"he's the one who supposed to be reduced to rubble, not me. Where the hell does he get that energy?"

Truth be known, it was all Hardy could do to keep his legs from shaking as he went into the shower.

Thinking of his grandfather as he lathered, he was sure he was right.

"The first time you bed a woman, boy, give it to them hard and fast, and last as long as you can.

That way they'll know they have a real man. Love 'em slow and gentle next, and they'll know they got a good man."

All told, he thought, probably the best advice he could ever get.


It wasn't all sunshine and roses afterwards, but she slowly moved him to her way of thinking.

The only way he could get him to agree to consider marriage was to live together for awhile.

They knew they were compatible sexually. Socially was another matter.

"I grew up dirt poor, Gwen. I've never had much, never really wanted much more than to be able to give my family a good life. I lack both your desire and social skills to move in your world."

"Silly man, everybody can learn. And would you please stop worrying about money. I've already told you, I've got all we'll ever need."

"That's kind of the point, hon. It's your money, not ours. It will always be your money, I'll never touch it. IF we marry, there will be a prenup stating I will not profit from a breakup, and that we'll split just what we accumulate after we wed. This isn't negotiable, counselor."

Her dad was touched by the gesture, but it was just what he expected from Hardy. It surprised them both when her Dad stated that he would represent Hardy in the prenup negotiations, no argument. He made Gwen get another lawyer outside the firm to represent her.

The meeting was a surprise to all concerned. The senior Canaday had a contract that was not to be deviated from, or the marriage was off.

In the event of dissolution because of irreconcilable differences, both parties left with what they brought in. If they separated due to his infidelity, Hardy lost everything. Then it got interesting.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.