Protection and Preservation, Book 07 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 07

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 29

[Janice writes]

We did stay for a few days and there were no more incidents. We met Maria and Arnold's daughter and son, who were both married recently. Jam had never married. Jam had adopted two children without parents who were found on the trek to Havasu. They were in their late twenties and loved Jam very much.

We put up a good antenna and I had Charlie install a radio. Andy helped to no one's surprise. At one point, Maria asked, "Don't they ever get tired of being constantly together?"

I grinned. "Not that I've ever seen." I saw that Andy was listening. I added, "They do shower separately." She blushed beautifully. Maria and I grinned and she blushed some more.

We made contact with Preservation. Jen and Mike were particularly interested in talking to Arnold. Jen's father, Jim, had some long conversations with Jam. I listened in and felt sorry for Jam as he recounted the tale of death and tragedy that followed them from Salt Lake to Havasu. The Salt Lakers had lost over half their people making the trip. They had fought and wiped out three large bands of marauders in the process, which probably helped many people in the west.

We stayed three nights and Arnold and Jam talked to Poppa Jack a number of times. Andy and Charlie trained a number of young people in how to operate the radio and they made some good friends. SJ became friends with a number of younger kids. We had a large company of well-wishers waving when we left for Bakersfield Airport. We had unfinished business there.

We landed in Bakersfield without incident. Robby had sentries set out immediately with radios while the planes were refueled and readied. No one showed up all day. We readied the same bus that we had before and prepared for the night with sentries. It was late when they came. There were only two.

One was a woman of about thirty or so. The other was a boy of twelve or thirteen. They were dirty and hungry. I saw them early and announced them letting them through without Robby or I showing ourselves. When they arrived at the terminal, they were met by Pam and Charlie who were armed and ready. Andy was the backup. She wanted to be with Charlie until Pam said something off the radio. Pam and Charlie had them lay face down on the ground. Pam frisked them thoroughly. We found a new use for our zip ties. With their hands tied behind their backs, they were escorted into the terminal while the rest of us maintained our watch.

Once inside, they were questioned separately. While we were gone, there had been a revolution but the small community had fallen on tough times. There was a shortage of men now and few were left. The woman was the new leader and the young boy was her son. She asked about Jacob. She was told that he was at our home in Georgia and was happy and safe.

The woman was visibly relieved. She wanted help. They wanted to leave but had no idea where they could go. I was listening over the radio and suggested that we send them to Phoenix. I didn't think they were ready at Havasu for new people yet. We kept watch all night but were not disturbed.

Pam and Bennie came out and worked as a single post sentry while Robby and I and Lois and Ted came in to eat and rest. Robby and I ate sitting with Andy and Charlie.

Neither had been here before. Andy said, "Mom, do you think the two are telling the truth?"

"I haven't talked to either one yet. If they didn't decorate themselves in an effort to fool us, things may have changed. Jacob and the men who met us were clean and well fed. You will notice that we didn't come in but kept watch."

Charlie grinned at Robby. "Dad, everyone knows you're paranoid."

Andy smiled. "I looked them over. They have bruises from had use or hard work. I think we should be very careful. They tried to set us up once before."

Robby said, "I think some more questioning would be appropriate. I wouldn't be surprised that they have fallen on hard times. When your practices kill people, sooner or later, you kill someone you need for long-term survival. The real question is what are they still doing. Questioning them about what is going on there will be worthwhile. You have to look at inconsistencies in stories. Most people can't tell a lie very well because they get mixed up. I don't want to have to fight if we can avoid it."

We finished eating and went to see our guests. I had been up all night and was tired. I said, "I'm Janice. Last time we were here, we had to kill a bunch of you low-lifes and one of my fellow wives was seriously injured. I'm going to ask questions and you will answer thoroughly or I will break pieces of your body. You have no appreciation of pain and bruises until I play with you. Do you understand?"

She looked scared and nodded. Then, she looked at Robby pleadingly. He gave her an evil grin. "I'm one of Janice's spouses. I will hold you still while she breaks parts of your body off." She went pale.

I looked at Andy and Charlie, "Perhaps, you shouldn't watch. It won't be pretty."

Charlie said, "Mom, it was one of my other mom's who was almost killed. My knife is sharp." Andy didn't say or do a thing.

The woman looked up at me. "I'll tell the truth just don't hurt my son."

"He's one of the parts I'll break off first. What happened to Jacob's sister?"

"She's dead. Graham sacrificed her to the tree. He came back and was angry that Jacob got away and that you people had killed so many men. We have been whipped and beaten ever since. He took Carol to the tree last night to give him strength. I ran away. George or I would be next."

I said, "So, Graham will return later today and find that you two are gone. Will he guess you came this way?" She nodded. "You expect him to attack?" She nodded again. "Charlie, you and Andy watch them. Don't let them go anywhere."

Robby and I moved off. I said, "What do you think?"

"I think we heard a true story this time. The only question is whether she was sent to us or ran to us. It doesn't matter. The result will be the same. We will be attacked. I'll tell Bennie that we need to go play in the woods."

He looked at me. "You, Pam, and Ted will be here for the frontal part. Lois, Andy, and Charlie will be your backups. Try not to need them." He gave me a kiss and left.

Andy said, "What did he mean by 'try not to need them?'"

"He doesn't want me dead." She gasped. I continued. "Gather everyone. Tell them to radio up and prepare for an attack. Tell them to hurry." I went to Pam and then Ted and told them what was happening. I then went to SJ. "Honey, guard those two. If they make any move, kill them. They are secondary and, intentionally or not, may have planted a trap." She nodded and ran for her pistol. She returned to sit down twenty feet away from our prisoners.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.