Protection and Preservation, Book 07 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 07

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 4

[Janice – In Dallas]

We headed out on the attack. Robby had his silenced automatic and a shotgun. I had a rifle and another automatic. We went around the back of our area being extra careful to watch for sentries or anything else. We were beyond the perimeter of the airport and had worked our way around toward the road we had used before we saw anyone.

Robby gave me a hand signal and I froze. He crept around and then the sentry went down. I moved forward carefully and met up with Robby. We moved on and found the main group of them. I was surprised. There were only eleven of them there. We had accounted for almost half of them already by that count. I figured there were others out on sentry duty or preparing another attack.

We were close enough to hear if they weren't quiet. I heard one talking.

"Pat, this isn't a good idea. Harry wasn't worth it and he sure isn't worth dying for. We've lost too many. We won't be able to handle our area if we lose more. What's the plan?"

One moved to answer that statement. My rifle came up and I took aim and gently pulled the trigger. His head exploded. My rifle was not a sniper model but was a large caliber. It was capable of making a big hole and did.

The other men went to ground trying to find cover. Robby whispered, "Wait for one to try something. They may decide this isn't a good idea."

One man had a scoped rifle that he brought to bear on our approximate position. I shot him, too. The others were trying to crawl away from the spot. I could see horses in the distance. They mounted and left. We let them go.

We waited for a bit for others to discover that the group had left. In a bit, Paul and Jerry entered the clearing. Paul said, "I liked those people and they're tough. Now, there's Pat lying dead. That's three good reasons to leave. I didn't want to come anyway. I'll fight for Joan back at the ranch if Joe won't back off. Enough is enough." Jerry nodded and they went for their horses and we could hear them ride off. Half an hour later, we continued around and found no one alive hanging around the airport. We notified everyone by radio that we were coming in but to be watchful though it looked like our attackers had left.

We notified Preservation and listeners by radio regarding what happened. Doctor George asked, "What are your plans?"

"We will stay another day and then leave." Robby continued, "They might solve the issue. We'll wait. There are some pretty good people here if they get it together."

Paul and Joan rode out in a wagon mid morning. Paul's shoulder was heavily bandaged. We let him come in without hindrance. Joan was driving the wagon. She pulled up beside Bennie and Pam. She said, "The trouble is over. Jerry and Donna are watching our kids until we get back. Paul got Joe but was wounded. I'm worried. I stopped the bleeding but it's serious. Can you help?"

Pam looked at her hard. "Are you sure it's over? We liked you and gave you our trust."

"I understand. Jerry and Paul wanted to tell you but were threatened. Please help Paul." She looked upset but somewhat resigned.

Pam said, "Robby help him down. I'll tell Mel. She may need to talk to George or Ollie though."

Pam came in and told us what was happening. Robby sent Charlie and me to stand guard. As we were leaving, he told Bennie. Bennie nodded, "Trust, but verify."

Charlie and I saw and heard no one and, of course, missed the activity with Paul who was seriously injured. After forty minutes, Robby came running out. "Prepare a landing area for the C-130. Tom and Vic are flying Doc Ollie and hospital equipment in. They're in the air now."

We got moving quickly. George and Mike came out to help. We had to move one wrecked plane. The C-130 took a little more runway than a Twin Otter. We had planned to leave it tight originally. Once completed, Mike said, "Should we go pick up King and Bluebird?"

I thought a moment. I said, "That is a good idea but I'm not sure we have time. We don't know enough about the situation either. Both planes are secure. Let's let this scenario play out further before we move them."

He nodded. I think he wanted to get us back on the trip. From past experience, I knew that things almost never went to plan. Mike was learning that, too.

We wouldn't have had time. The C-130 was circling shortly and came in to land flaring gently with one chirp of the wheels. Robby came out and directed it to us waving them to a stop at a good place close to our headquarters here.

Actually, we didn't get Doc Ollie. His daughter, Anne, made the trip. She was more comfortable with orthopedic type medical issues. Her nurses were a couple who had become interested in medicine and who she had taught to assist her in the operating room and in other things.

They arrived and immediately started to work. Anne and Diana readied Paul for surgery while Ethan prepared the table and equipment for the operation. All were business-like but Ethan was the most approachable and outgoing. They made a good team and saved a number of lives and uses of limbs over the years.

Paul's shirt was cut away and he was given a general anesthetic to put him under. Anne removed the bullet and probed for other damage. She closed him up and strapped his arm to his side. She said, "Who is with the patient."

"I'm Joan, his wife."

"Very good. Keep the arm strapped up and dry for a week. Do you have a radio?"

"Yes."

"Good. Day after tomorrow, we will talk after the net is complete. If there is no infection, you can remove the strap. Two days later, change the dressing. After that, just give him time to heal. It will be a month before we'll know whether there is any permanent damage."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.