A Kingdom Lost - Cover

A Kingdom Lost

Copyright© 2014 by Alexander Avarice

Part 10: Allegiance

(date ref: march 13th)

ARMAND

His meeting with Silk had gone exactly as Edwin had suggested it might. The young noble was a helpless twig amid a roaring tempestuous sea. His claim to the throne, now he had abandoned his kingdom to Hannah, was tenuous at best. Why they had felt it a good idea to come to Carthia was still a mystery to him. They both, individually had said it was the best thing at the time. What had happened in Surrendia? Louie's death was simple, uncomplicated – he had done it, easy, but this Surrendian thing seemed unduly complex.

It was all up to Edwin. The boy was so deep. His whole nature seemed to be extremes, the breathtaking highs, infernal lows. was the boy so passionate that he would betray his king so readily? Armand thought confidently that he would. The lad was gagging for him, it was almost too easy. The thrill of victory, so recently learned, had been a sweet taste. Was a victory really a victory if he had not worked for it? After all, he was mixing business with pleasure. Armand decided that he would just have to find out.

After his questioning of Silk, Armand returned to his apartments, via the Great Hall. He saw Edwin discreetly watching him from the moment of his entrance. An uncontrollable smirk stole across his face, but he managed to not return the look. In his apartments, the king lounged in his chair, gleefully savouring the thrill of anticipation, and several glasses of laudanum. Slightly irritated he glanced at the now empty bottle. With the sigh of laziness he went to find a servant, and found the Leander on his way to serve him.

Upon his return Armand decided that Edwin had waited long enough, and had Leander fetch him for his formal telling off. Very quickly Edwin arrived...

"Your highness" Edwin bowed low, and awaited permission to straighten out. He had followed formal customs strictly, having made Leander announce him before he would enter the room. The lord amused Armand greatly, he shook his head, pleased and left Edwin bowed for some time. Eventually he addressed him

"Ah, Edwin yes –" he paused while Leander poured a glass, the servant quietly asked if he should fetch another glass, but Armand said not. "Come, sit down" Armand gestured broadly. There was no other chair in the room, Armand was sat in his favourite fireside seat. Edwin did not hesitate, and sat on the floor by Armand. Armand drank, and they chatted for a while, relating stories. The young lord was playing it cautiously, he was obviously nervous about Armand's mood, and about what Silk might have said about him during their talk. There was no less devotion in his eyes though, it was just treading carefully. Armand liked this, he would be all the more eager to prove his loyalty.

(date ref: march 15th vol 2)

EDWIN

When Armand had walked straight through the Great Hall, pointedly ignoring Edwin's surreptitious glance, the lord had worried, he had no doubt that the King was aware of his presence. Again, the wait was torture, he knew that Armand would eventually be unable to delay any longer and would send for him, but could not focus on anything to help pass the time. He marvelled at the games the Carthian played. Silk had never the wit, or cunning to play more than one level at a time. His lifelong companion was barely a shadow of the king.

Eventually, and inevitably Armand's personal servant entered the hall, he looked around briefly, then spied Edwin. A bittersweet nervousness came over Edwin as he followed Leander. This was the night. His meeting with Armand would decide the course of his life. Eventually Armand would lay his cards on the table, and ask for the ultimate sacrifice.

The Carthian king took things slowly that night. Trying to judge Armand's true feelings and motives Edwin was very cautious. He was not afraid of total rejection, he felt certain that Armand had not yet begun. The strange hunger that glittered in his eyes could not be denied much longer, despite Armand's overriding tendency to be coldly calculating, there lay a terrible emotional appetite, it's strength perhaps made stronger by the near constant denial of its existence. Sadly, Edwin decided that Armand had never seen true love before, had never given or received it. There did not seem to be any female (or male) off-casts from past affairs, perhaps his sexuality, too was denied. The king was profoundly vain, perhaps his parents had encouraged that part of him to keep him puppet like, controllable. If he were too wrapped up in himself to desire another person there would be no corrupting outside influence. If they had done this to him, they had made a grave mistake, for the beast which lay beneath the paint and vanity was by far a more dangerous one than any mere mortal. He realised that Armand had shown little emotion for neither his fathers death, nor his mother's declining mentality, here too the ploy had failed. Did Armand have any normal, human emotions? Too most people this realisation, if they had the wit to get this close to discovering the true Armand would have been frightened away, the psychosis too dangerous to be tolerated, but to Edwin's also warped sense of the world this just made him more godlike. For were not the god's freed from the normal bonds and attachments of petty human dealings

Edwin also had wit enough to realise that Armand's interest in him was not love. Although he loved Armand with all his soul – from the moment he first saw him he knew that he would rather die than lose Armand – the emotion was not reciprocated. The thought that Armand could be unable to love made it easier to bear, at least he was not saving his affections for another, merely that his 'love' was expressed in other ways. The Carthian king would never truly love anyone.

He thought that, to Armand, the people around him were there purely for his own ends to be used or abused at whim. And as monarch of the greatest kingdom in the world he, really, was not wrong in that assumption. Edwin also realised that one day, when he had outlived his usefulness, Armand would tire of him, and then, like an old infected carcass, he too would be thrown from the king's life. He could not back away though, even with this surprisingly accurate profile, even with the knowledge that just by meeting Armand he had signed his own warrant for degradation and death.

Eventually Edwin decided that the night had gone on long enough, the king had all but finished the bottle of laudanum single handedly, and despite himself it was beginning to show. They had sat and talked all night, Edwin curled at the kings feet, he had been courteous and respectful all night. Armand's flawless, painted face had glittered with the thrill of anticipation (and laudanum) all night, the king definitely enjoyed torturing his plaything. Though, arguably mental anguish was preferable to physical cruelty, but in a deep dark place inside himself Edwin wished it was physical. He ached for the king to touch him, it seemed like he had had to contend with observing the handsome prince for years. He needed physicality, was not sure how much longer he could contain himself – sooner or later he would have to beg for it. Surely, if that was all that was on offer, even pain dealt out by the Carthian would feel as pure and wholesome as an embrace.

"Armand" Edwin was surprised that he had actually found the nerve to speak. His voice was full of lust " please, name your price, I'll do anything you wish ... I, I just can't bear this any longer"

Armand smiled slowly, calculatedly, his reddened lips parting to reveal still perfect white teeth. Time seemed to slow as Armand stood, Edwin rising also. He reached out hesitantly, to touch the kings face. Faster than life, Armand caught his hand, restraining it close to his face, but not allowing him to make contact. His grip was surprisingly strong, more so than his slender figure suggested. When the king spoke his voice was laden with unnamed pleasures, ones that could be Edwin's if he would just – merely – sell his soul

"Edwin, you know my price, can you afford it, or will you leave my domain?"

Edwin's voice trembled when he replied, but inside he was resolute "My Lord. I know you do not come cheaply. Let there however, be no mistakes, name your price and it shall be yours"

A look resembling delight – if could have been a perverse form of the emotion – entered the king's face. It was obvious that the king's soul was laughing, but the secret motive for his mirth was too deeply entrenched to be fathomed.

Still holding his hand, Armand moved closer, he brushed his lips against Edwin's own, the lord gasped. Quietly in his ear Armand whispered " I require your loyalty, and allegiance. But first, why did you really leave Surrendia?" Edwin smiled and revealed the truth, his words spilling out, he wanted his prize, could think of nothing else, his free hand already at Armand's waist pulling the king closer. Armand was surprised to learn that Hannah had killed the Queen "His sister? Are you sure – you have proof I take it?"

"No evidence, but the missing serving girl will have proof I'm sure. She did do it, Armand, it was written all over her face"

"Why did Silk leave Hannah in charge then? Is he insane?"

"He doesn't know, I could not tell him. Only I know-"

"Thank you Edwin" Armand's voice had a close approximation of love in it, but the tone was not genuine. Edwin did not care. Without another word Armand lead the lord to his bedchamber.

(date ref: march 19th)

SILK

The rightful Surrendian king had left his meeting with Armand rather despondent. The enemy king had, without saying it, called him a fool. The worst part was that it was true. Edwin, oh Edwin, Silk lamented, Why had he betrayed him so. At home, in his castle, the fire for revenge had burned so brightly that it could not be denied, now far away from his kingdom he could see the situation for what it was. Hannah would never relinquish the throne – not without a fight, he would have to kill her to claim his birthright. He realised that even now Hannah would be massing his army. Probably a bounty lay already on their heads.

Alone in the enemy camp he desperately needed Edwin's presence, his stolid reassurances soothing his troubles, the soft yet stormy voice telling him what ought to be done. The hole in his life that Edwin had left was so vast and profound that Silk found it hard to function, let alone battle verbally with his enemy.

Edwin had gone though, Armand's personal servant had fetched him nearly an hour previously. Morgan had not reappeared after their little scene outside Alexandra's garden, leaving Silk totally alone. Thoughtfully he pondered Morgan, and Edwin's emotionally violent reaction to her. Could it be that she had caused the rift between Edwin and himself? What was it that Edwin saw in her that he hid not? The young king decided to seek Lady Morgan out – after all, they had been as friends while travelling to the stronghold, could they not be friends again?

He, as visitors to the stronghold often did, managed to get hopelessly lost before emerging near the lady's apartments. He knocked respectfully, and upon hearing Morgan's reserved "Come in" de did as he was bidden "you!" she said crossly, upon seeing who her visitor was "I thought I made myself clear this morning" Silk's heart dropped realising he would not get her forgiveness today, undeterred though he soldiered on.

"Please Morgan" He said earnestly. He decided that a bit of overacting might appeal to her spoiled nature, he dropped to one knee and begged her to see him, to forgive his lie. Petulantly she still refused, but by now it was more through contriteness than a genuine dislike. Silk could sense this change, but none the less defeated he left her rooms. He wandered ghost-like to his own assigned rooms. It all seemed alien and cold, almost foreboding, as if the castle itself disliked him. Most of all though they seemed empty. Edwin, oh Edwin! He silently wept, why did I send you away? Unable to restrain himself he ran to Edwin's rooms. As he had known they would be, they were empty. He was still with Armand – Silk did not even try to imagine just what they were up to, it would be too much to bear.

There were clothes recently scattered about the room, signs that the young lord still used the rooms. Evidently he had not yet gained Armand's chance. Silk thought about leaving, but could not face spending the night 'alone' at least here there was an aura of familiarity. Finding no other choice, Silk settled on Edwin's bed, awaiting his return.

He had it all worked out, he would apologise for rejecting, beg his lover to forgive him, things could then become as they once were. With Edwin once again by his side he would be invincible. Forlornly he waited through the night, eventually undressing and getting in the bed. As the sky began to change from a lush purple to a dawning blue, the troubled king fell into a broken sleep. Murderers and traitors stalked Silk through his dreams, all with laughing, grotesquely painted faces. The Carthian day however, was well underway when he awoke.

(date ref: march 22nd)

ALEXANDRA

The queen had learned a lot from her meeting with Silk. A plan was beginning to formulate – she might still save Carthia from Armand. Edwin, the strange character that Silk found so engaging was definitely no good. She guessed that in all probability he would become Armand's ally. he seemed to be the type of person who would be unable to resist her son's charms, and with the tension between him and Silk, Armand was sure to sense an advantage point and single Edwin out. Who knew what they would scheme up together.

Alexandra could see only one way out, though the way was clouded and uncertain. Hannah though would be the key to it all. Silk and herself must leave the Stronghold, she would know when the time was ripe, her warriors instincts were still sharp. There was still a missing piece to her puzzle though, some one else was needed, but just who eluded her still fragile mind. They could not go directly to the Way, it would be too obvious, Armand's troops would be sure to intercept them. Perhaps even the Surrendian's would have troops already searching for their errant king and his consort.

She needed allies. Sighing the queen arose and called for her handmaiden

"Today I will attend court" she announced. She saw the servant's eyes flicker with a pang of concern. Alexandra growled to herself, if after over twenty years of faithful service she were not aloud a day off when would she be? So quickly, and subtly had the power been wrested from her. There was no doubt at all in her mind that Armand had killed Louie. This thought alone held the means to keep her sane, and to rob her of her sanity. Between these two extremes she teetered, finding a path to tread. If she could only hold on, Carthia could be saved...

(date ref: march 23rd)

KTARTH AND ARIA

As stoic and taciturnian as ever the northern barbarians guarded Alexandra's personage. They had no idea how Armand had gotten unnoticed into Louie's rooms. They were sure that it had been Armand though. Who else could have defeated the great king in swordplay. True the new king had never publicly fought his father, but no one more than Aria knew the full extent of Armand's swordly prowess.

In the days after Louie's murder, they found themselves facing divided loyalties, ones that reached to the core of their life and beliefs. After being conquered by Louie their tribal loyalties were clear. On that day they had given up their lives as freemen to the victorious army. Carthian thralls, loyal to the Carthian ruler, for the rest of their lives. They had not paused in accepting their duty, their reward would come in their next life. But what now, on the surface of it Armand was their new indisputable lord. But, though, if he were guilty of treason, surely they ought to remain loyal to Louie, even in death.

The northern peoples, despite the ever present prefix 'barbarian' were a very complex society, they held deeply rooted spiritual beliefs. Each person having an animal spiritual guide, Ktarth's was a mountain bear and Aria's a snowy owl. Aria had been spending a great deal of time meditating, trying to find some hint of a clue as to what they should do. Their guardian god's had never deserted them before, always they felt their gentle guidance. But now her meditations left her drained and despondent. It seemed they were alone with their insecurities.

Dearly they longed to talk to Alexandra, she alone of all the people around them could shine light upon their situation. But, faced with her breakdown, and only sporadic sanity, they were unwilling to confide in her. It was true that those with some insanity were said to be touched by the god's, but having seen so great a lady fall so far they were stunned into silence.

(date ref: march25th)

ARMAND

The young king awoke. It was a fine morning. The bed beside him was empty, but the sheets were rumpled in a telltale sign that showed they had indeed been occupied. Languidly Armand replayed the events of yesterday an odd new feeling surrounded him, as if an unknown weight had been suddenly lifted from his shoulders. Power was a fine thing indeed. No matter what form it took. Armand felt that he sat atop a towering mountain called ambition and leered down at the whole world. Unassailable, undefeatable – perhaps soon Surrendia would be his too, after all if he could not kill this 'Hannah' he could always marry her. This amused him so much that he laughed aloud, what was the world coming too.

Unlike his norm, Armand donned a robe before sprawling in his chair. With no slight annoyance he noticed his own actions, but since Edwin's intrusion the previous morning, privacy no longer felt quite so secure.

His emotions concerning Edwin were, to say the least were muddled. Edwin was so passionate, tempestuous, and brooding, but at the same time the king found him to be soulful and very quick-witted. Armand respected intelligence and was fascinated by his raw emotion. He could not understand the lad's need for sex and partnership, Armand had always been a one-man army, and could not imagine needing another human being. A single glance from Armand could send the lad into heights of ecstasy, or plunge him to the depths of despair. The Lord's moods seemed to flit from one extreme to the other in a heartbeat. Now that the act had been done, Edwin's lust – albeit temporarily- had been satisfied, Armand was unsure of what to make of it all. Never before had he bared himself in that way to anyone. The confident part of his mind still held Edwin firmly in check, but somewhere deeper he realised the lad had changed him slightly, that Edwin had more of a hold over him than he would like to admit.

Armand continued musing until Leander arrived, juggling his thoughts, attempting to find new ways to mix work with pleasure. Taunting Silk always provided lots of fun, this would be the best continued course of action he decided. with the joy of the game in his heart, Armand began the day.

(date ref: march 27th)

EDWIN

When Armand had finally fallen asleep, the king's overwhelming urges for power were fully sated, Edwin had longed to stay in his chambers till morning, close to the object of his affections. To try and regain a moment of what he had enjoyed with Silk, the closeness and easy familiarity. He knew though that Armand was no Silk. The temperamental king would require his space and solitude when he awoke.

Edwin had remained as long as he dared, awake, staring into Armand's flawless visage. In sleep the kings face assumed an innocent beauty, one totally lacking in his awakening hours – when his manipulating mind was in control. Once, this CRUEL young man had been a happy and carefree child. Something had changed all that, a dark thirst for something, perhaps for power, or perhaps for some other thing, now motivated him. It was insipid, and twisted, it rushed irregardless of pain, decency or of other people. Finally, though, as the first rays of dawn tinged the sky blue, Edwin had quietly slipped away. The VAST halls of the Stronghold seemed to welcome Edwin as he walked through them, as if he had come home for the first time. The wind, gently moving about the castle sounded like a contented sigh. He thought briefly of Surrendia, of life a few short weeks ago. Then with restrained enthusiasm he considered the future.

The lord did not go to his apartments, instead he climbed the mountain castles levels to a high window and leaned out over the balustrade, savouring the dawning day. The joy of the universe greeted him, he had found true love, and with it his place in the world. He remained at this new found vantage point, comforted by the warming masonry, and soothed by the peaceful scene below him until the day was well underway.

Dimly he heard the food bell ring. The noise carried up to him on some stray updraft, like an elusive summer scent. His stomach rumbled impatiently in response to the noise bringing Edwin back to reality, it seemed that he had been in a daze since entering the king's apartments.

Down below, almost of ground level, the Great Hall had already filled with the Strongholds populous. Silk was not about, but Armand was there, and full of life. Edwin slowly went about procuring his breakfast, ensuring the king had enough time to notice him. The young lord was fairly certain that Armand knew full well that he was there, but Edwin was taking no chances. Eventually he headed for a seat, deliberately catching the kings eye. Discretely Armand beckoned him over to an empty seat beside him. Full of relief – he had not been aware that he had actually been worried until then – he joined the king. Armand seemed on top form. As was his norm, even this early in the afternoon, he held the court's attention, his winning personality and fatal good looks enthralling the men and women of the court alike. How anyone could hate this man was beyond Edwin. Silk's reaction to him could only, Edwin reasoned, stem from jealousy, and a feeling of inferiority. This, he reflected happily, was actually true. The once splendid Surrendian fort – simple yet highly tasteful- seemed like a mud hut when compared to the opulent Stronghold. He wondered for a moment about the ancient nation who had constructed the keep in the first place, how great must they have been to hollow out an entire mountain? A sudden feeling of being in a place not meant for his kind swept over him, as if he and all the people around him intruded on some hallowed ground. he shrugged it off, the conundrum was older than either of their nations, the architects would not be returning to reclaim their construct.

Armand's words filtered slowly through Edwin's brain, retrieving it's consciousness from its preoccupations.

"I propose a hunt," the king was saying. Edwin had not found the king to be the hunting type, the dangerous riding, and chance of getting muddy seemed to be the opposite of what Armand stood for. It was true however that he had professed to be out hunting when their messengers had arrived some weeks ago, but had shown no other signs of being a hunting man. Armand's suggestion was rapidly taken up by the men folk, and soon a fair sized party descended upon the stables, surprising a sleeping ostler. Unobtrusively Armand came over to Edwin and asked, "Where's these nag's of Silk's then?" he asked good humoredly, Edwin instantly saw where Armand's mind had gone

"Over here your highness. Perhaps as king Silk has not made an appearance yet, it would not be too unseemly to borrow them for the hunt. The twins are Surrendia's finest horses"

"Indeed. I am certain Silk would not begrudge me a ride before he goes" Edwin knew what Armand meant, Silk would most certainly begrudge him a ride, but in his current somewhat tenuous position could not refuse.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.