Protection and Preservation, Book 03
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Protection – Robby on the Road]

We traveled into new country, for us, on the way to Alamo. As much as I had traveled before the Day, it amazed me at how little we traveled now. The need to preserve gas and to work the farm kept us local and busy. We reported in to George via two-meter radio. We had set up an evening time to check-in and George had made us a beam type antenna to concentrate our signal to the repeater as we moved further from Protection.

As usual, the country was empty. When we traveled from Nashville, it surprised me to see how few people survived after the Day. It still amazed me. The United States had many areas with low population density before the Day. Now, the world had a low population density everywhere. We saw many good farms that were showing serious neglect. The one thing we had found was that the deer had multiplied dramatically. In the last year, getting a deer was an every day occurrence and, as a farmer, I appreciated the effort to thin their ranks. They ate my crops.

Animals grazing our crops were a problem for us more than some of the others. We had chosen a farm on the fringe of Protection and, only in the last year, had people moved in closer to us. We were still far from surrounded. With Charles, I worked the fields of almost three farms. We had lots of elbow room. I liked that because we had a pond close to the house and Pam and I enjoyed skinny-dipping. Charles and Melissa had joined in that activity which led to our finding out about their love for each other and, eventually, their and us sharing a love for all. Swimming had become an erotic exercise. Neither of our ladies was inhibited and, now that we were official, I suspected they would be less so.

Pam was riding with me this morning and said, "Robby, pull your gun. Let's have some fresh venison tonight." I saw movement to our left and was alert for animals hoping for a deer. I didn't get a deer but it was good that I did. A few minutes later, dogs attacked us from the left. The others grabbed for guns as I began to shoot the lead dogs in the attack. We had suffered from these attacks before and knew that they must be repulsed quickly or you risk being hurt. They could be bearers of disease. My rifle was adequate for deer. It was still more for shooting people than for hunting. I could set it for single shots and that's where it stayed most of the time.

I picked off four before Pam and then Charles and Melissa joined in. We quickly thinned the ranks of the pack. Few retreated. We continued on leaving them where they lay. I wondered why we were attacked. Dogs usually didn't attack unless they were hungry or diseased. These didn't look diseased. Game was plentiful and deer were better than humans and horses. As we passed, I noticed that some of the dogs were skinny. That was even more curious. I marked it off to another issue to think on later.

We continued on and, just as we were entering Alamo, I saw and shot a deer. That was rare. Deer were usually everywhere and I hadn't seen any but that one.

We found an empty house in Alamo and moved in for the night. We had found a farmhouse with a good barn. I wanted to close the horses up tonight and the barn would allow that. We let them graze while we prepared and ate supper but moved them all inside the barn and closed it up for the night. The house had a nice screened-in porch overlooking the fields and we were sitting around digesting our supper and enjoying the night air. It was habit for me to scan the area. Our cooking fire was to one side and shed some light out. I saw eyes, many eyes. They even moved! Eyes that reflected light that way usually meant felines and we had many eyes and they were big eyes suggesting big cats. I said, "Folk, it's time we went inside. We have company, lots of company."

Melissa was sitting closest to me and said, "What do you mean, Robby?"

The eyes came closer and I said, "Everyone, inside now, quickly and quietly." Melissa and Charles were wide-eyed but moved led by Pam. I took rear guard and closed the door firmly behind us. I said, "There are big, glowing eyes around us. Big eyes mean big animals. Glowing eyes mean felines. I could feel the presence of heavy bodies moving quietly. I think I know why the dogs attacked and why we didn't see any more deer."

Melissa said, "What is it?"

I said, "We had surmised that zoo workers would release their animals rather than have them starve to death. In Memphis, the zoo was mostly empty and all signs pointed to the animals having been released by their keepers.

"When I looked out, I saw lots of eyes. Large glowing eyes mean big cats. They are big eaters and they could clean out an area. They would also displace other predators. I think they were drawn by the smell of fresh meat.

"Lovie, we'll go out tomorrow and look around but I think tracks will confirm my thinking. We will have to stay clear of potential traps and be on alert for the big cats. It takes a big bore rifle to stop them. I have one but I don't think we have any others with us. We'll have to be on the lookout for a gun store or pawnshop or some other place that sells guns.

"For now, we'll go to bed. Take a pistol with you. Fire up first. We want to scare them away. If you hit it, you'll probably just make it mad."

They were polite not mentioning the fact that I slept with a loaded forty-five under my pillow every night.

I looked out twice and it was only with the dawn that the eyes faded. We rose early at the first real light and Pam and I went outside to inspect the tracks. My count was ten or twelve large cats had watched outside the house. We had a quick breakfast and left.

I carried a different rifle today and we all looked for a gun shop as we traveled. By the end of the day, we reached Dyersburg and found another house with an enclosed barn. We were making better time because the wagon was light with truck tires and good axles. It rolled easily and the horses pulling it didn't plod.

Charles and Pam watched over the horses with my rifle while Melissa and I went into town. We found a pawnshop and then a gun shop. We went to the gun shop first. It had been raided but I found two good rifles with ammunition.

Then, we went into the pawnshop and found two more, one with a scope. We found more ammunition and took everything we figured to need. I added two shotguns to our arms with heavy pellets. They might not kill a big cat but they would stop it long enough for a rifle bullet to finish the job. At least, I hoped so. I liked shotguns any way. They were great close-in weapons.

When we returned, we boarded up the barn and retired to the house. Charles and Pam had started supper while waiting for us and the smells were tantalizing. We washed up and all four of us sat down to eat an enjoyable meal. The house had an open porch that allowed us to see the barn and we sat out there and cuddled. As the light faded, the night remained quiet and no eyes appeared. I wasn't unhappy to not have the eyes though wasn't sure what that might mean.

We went to bed looking forward to a new day. We could still hit the repeater and George cautioned us that our first job was to survive and return. I grinned to hear my old words.

In the morning, we rose after a quiet night, had breakfast, and hitched the wagon. Melissa would handle it today and Pam would ride with her. I was the only one who didn't have wagon duties. The others felt and I agreed that my skills were much better employed as point and scout.

We were looking forward to crossing into Missouri today if the bridge was good. We went over it on I-155 and both lanes were good. I could see that the upriver side might not last much longer because there were some boats and barges already loose and hanging around one of the pylons. We were making good time. That was good because Hayti was the longest single day's travel on this part of our trip so far. It was late afternoon when we arrived.

We quickly found a house with the barn we wanted on the outskirts of town. There was some pasturage for the horses. Pam and I would be on watch this afternoon. Charles and Melissa would take a walking tour of this part of town to stretch their legs a bit and see if anyone was around. They both had their rifles and I had cautioned them to stay away from ambush points and watch their backs.

They returned and reported animal bones in some fields and no animals or people. Charles said, "Robby, do you think the reason there's no people or animals is because of the big cats we suspect are in the area?"

"Yes," I replied, "that's the only explanation that comes to mind. That means the animals are getting hungry and we and the horses are potential meals. It may be that we will find people under siege from predators and that's why Abe wanted us here."

Pam said, "Could we handle a large group of big cats?"

"By ourselves, it would be hard, very hard. I will hazard a guess that we will find city folk and farmers. It does take a different mind set to hunt, particularly if you are hunting another predator. You have to remember that they fight back. I'm wondering what type of cats we are talking about. Lions are the only ones that group to my remembering. I think Tigers, Panthers, and Leopards are all loners."

Pam said, "That's my thinking, also. If we're facing an inter-species group, it could be tough."

Melissa said, "Is that why there's no people and no animals?"

I replied, "One likely explanation is that the people left because the big cats were eating their farm animals. If there weren't many people and there don't seem to be many anywhere, then they might move to concentrate their numbers to better protect their livestock. As I see it, we will have to find the survivors and then figure out an effective way to deal with the predators."

We had another issue that had to be addressed before leaving Hayti. Which way to go was that issue. I looked at the map and realized that moving northwest was not a real option. The roads became scarce. If we stayed on the Interstate, we would go due north to St. Louis and could then cut westerly. The other choice was to ease south and then resume our northwest trek but it would be over secondary roads compared to the Interstate. I talked it over with my spouses and we decided that big roads would be better. Wider right-of-ways gave us better sight distances and would keep animals or people from being as able to sneak up upon us.

We also debated staying a day to take it easy. Melissa suggested a solution by voting tonight and letting the "eyes" have a vote. If it stayed quiet, another day would be fine.

I called George on the radio and could still get in when the beam was high and facing in the right direction. He approved our decision warning us to be careful. I agreed that we would and signed off. After supper, we sat outside and watched darkness descend upon our area. It was after nine when we went inside for the night. There were no eyes so we would stay. I must admit the house we had claimed was very comfortable. The view was good with plenty of sight distance. Staying would not be a chore.

We toured the town looking around for signs of what happened to people. In one little drug store, we found a note about going to St. Louis to get away from the animals. We noted that bandages were the primary missing item along with tetanus vaccine and antiseptics. Bites had occurred. On the west side of town, we saw two lions, as we were about to turn back. They didn't seem to follow us when we turned back.

As we were getting close to our temporary house, I said, "We need to bar the barn doors carefully tonight. I think we will have company. Keep your rifle handy. We may have to shoot something."

Unlike the night before, the horses were nervous. Their grazing was curtailed for the safety of the barn. We made sure it was closed up tightly for the night. The house we had picked out was a simple two story with no trees or buildings close to it. We had slept upstairs last night and would again tonight. After supper, we sat outside as it darkened into night. As the area around us darkened, the eyes made their appearance. I didn't count them the first time and didn't this time but it looked like a few less than before. We went inside. It was very quiet. The bed in the master was a king-size and we all slept together with our guns to one side. I had my forty-five under my pillow. No one laughed about it tonight.

I woke up around three or so in the morning to the sound of a dull thud. Pam was sleeping next to me and it woke her, too. She whispered, "What was that?"

I replied, "I think something tried the kitchen door. I put a chair against it when we came up here last night.

Charles said, "Should we get dressed?"

I said, "Yes. I want to look around. Charles, you and Mel try to get some more sleep. I may want you two to watch later. Lovie, let's get dressed and do a walkabout."

We did and we did. There wasn't anything to see. However, when we peered out of a window, the eyes were there and we could make out the bodies that went with the eyes.

Pam whispered, "That's a whole lot of lions!"

I said, "There was a line from a movie where, I think, the Lone Ranger said to Tonto, 'That's a whole lot of Indians.' Tonto said something like, "Good luck, Paleface.'" I grinned. "I think they haven't seen any people take real precautions lately. I don't think they quite know what to do. If they're confused, then they can be scattered at the appropriate time."

"Robby, what do you want to do?"

"I think we'll go back upstairs to the bedroom and close the door. There's a couch facing the window and I think we'll watch for a while."

She nodded. "Let's go."

We went up the stairs. I opened the curtains and we sat on the couch. I watched the lions roam about the yard and part of the pasture. I counted about twenty. My thinking was to avoid taking them on, at least not all at once, unless our barricade was strong.

They sort of milled around the house and the barn. I think that, if anyone had gone outside, they would have been attacked. As the sky gradually lightened, they moved further away from the house and barn. By the time it was light, they had retreated back to the edge of the woods.

Pam had slept and Charles and Melissa had gone back to sleep as I had suggested. The three of them woke up. Pam said, "Robby, I slept. Did you?"

I said, "No, Lovie. I'll be okay. Let's get moving and try to make some tracks toward St. Louis."

Melissa said, "You take a shower while we cook breakfast." The house had water pressure though wasn't heated. I nodded, went into the bathroom, and cleaned up. Cool or even cold water for showers was something we all had learned to tolerate a while ago. Breakfast was good and we packed up and left heading north for St. Louis.

We pushed all day to get further up the road. My guess was that we now knew the problem we were supposed to address. I wasn't sure how we would address it but I was trying to make plans. I didn't know near enough about lions and their habits. I vaguely remembered that they traveled and hunted in groups called prides. I think the females were the primary hunters. That was the extent of my memory. I wasn't sure if they were nocturnal or if that was their habit here and now. I just knew we didn't see them during the day though that didn't mean they weren't tracking us.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.