Protection and Preservation, Book 01 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 01

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 22

[Virginia/Tennessee]

Our ride to Roanoke was easy. Then we got on I-81 and rolled southwest along the spine of Virginia. It was beautiful country. It was late lunchtime when we reached Bristol. Amos wanted to have a look at the speedway. We agreed and Jane said, "Let's get some lunch, tour the speedway, and find a place for the night." We had seen no one or any sign of people all day.

We had to break into the speedway and did. Amos and I even took a few laps in our trucks. I had no idea how the NASCAR folk had done it because we weren't going fast and it was still a little scary. We left the speedway for a hotel and checked the restaurant.

It was not useable. The freezer and cooler doors had been left open when someone cleaned them out. We left there and checked the pool. It was in good shape. Jane said, "While we have time and light, let's find a useable restaurant for supper." We found one and returned to our rooms and changed into our suits for swimming. My only concern was that we were getting too relaxed from not seeing people. I was trying to maintain some appropriate level of paranoia.

All three of our ladies were enjoying teasing Amos and me with their scanty suits. We eventually tired of the water and went to our rooms and changed meeting outside to ride to the restaurant. I stopped us when I saw that I was the only one armed. After everyone got a pistol, we headed for our restaurant of the evening. Jane fixed another great meal with active help from Doris and Bethany. Amos and I helped with the cleanup. Even though we planned not to return, we didn't want to leave a mess for someone else.

We returned to the hotel after dark and the lot was in darkness. I intentionally missed the turn into the parking lot and continued on down the road. "Jane, call Amos and Doris. There's trouble back there. We're going to ride a ways and find a safe place before we return." She quickly told Amos what was happening and got his acknowledgement through Doris. I drove five or six miles before stopping in a corner of a well-lit parking lot.

Amos and I shut the engines off and everyone jumped out. I said, "I think there's something is wrong back there. There's no reason for the parking lot lights to be off. However, when we left, they would not have come on yet.

"It could be nothing but I'm suspicious. Let's make a plan and determine what we're going to do."

Jane said, "The first thing is to look for people. The second, if we don't find any people, is figure out how to turn the lights on. The third is to be on watch for people.

"George, we have night goggles in the back of the truck. You and I can use those with HT's with earphones and throat mikes. You're the best shot and I can sneak up and break bones."

I didn't like it but, by now, I had been married long enough to pick my arguments. Bethany was still learning. She said, "I can sneak up as well as you and can shoot better."

Jane looked at her and smiled while she shook her head, "Yes, but you can't break bones bare handed."

The argument was over. We donned vests, radios and guns. Bethany would drive my truck with Jane and I sitting on the tailgate. When we were close, she would slow and we would jump off. Doris would drive Amos' truck and he would have a rifle ready. We had enough radios for all of us though the trucks each had a radio. We would use HT's with throat mikes and earphones so people would not hear us talking. We followed that part of the plan. Just after we jumped off and Bethany continued by the hotel, someone shot at her though didn't even hit the truck. She kept going. I marked the origin of the shot for investigation.

Staying low, we scurried away from the street. With the night vision goggles, I looked around and saw a shooter at the front of the hotel. "I see one at the front of the hotel. He's the one who took the shot. Let's go around back and check it out."

Jane whispered, "Roger."

We silently crept around to the back of our hotel and saw two older cars that had been parked there since we had left. We scanned for any guards. "I'm going to disable them. Guard me."

Jane whispered again, "Roger."

I let the air out of all four of the rear tires without a sound other than a low hiss that couldn't be heard more than a few feet away. Staying low, I crept to the back door, which I found unlocked. I eased it open after removing my goggles. The back hall was lit. There was no one there. "Come on in, Honey."

"Roger."

Jane joined me and moved to the front as we went slowly and carefully down the hall toward the front of the hotel. We could see new footprints in the dust. It looked like three to me. I held up three fingers and pointed at the footprints. Jane nodded.

We came to the lobby and saw two people kneeling over couches looking out. In a corner, I saw two others who were tied up. Jane saw them and held her finger to her lips to keep them quiet. We approached the other two quietly and each of us placed a pistol to the back of a head.

Quietly, I said, "Don't move. Shooting you this way will be messy for me but fatal for you. Very slowly, move back from the window with your hands empty." I realized we had two men in their twenties. "Okay, keep your hands outstretched and turn around slowly." Mine turned around slowly and looked badly scared. As his eyes focused on the end of my pistol, I saw a wet spot appear at the front of his pants.

The other saw Jane's noticeably female form and lesser height and grinned savagely. He came toward her and she let him get close. All of a sudden, he collapsed, moaning in pain. She said quietly and conversationally, "You know, I think I broke his left leg. I missed. I was trying to break his kneecap and leave him permanently disabled."

The eyes of the one in front of me widened fearfully. I said, "People who plan to ambush others should be prepared for unpleasant consequences. It can be a very dangerous thing to do. Sometimes, it's fatal." The wet stain became larger. It smelled a bit, too. I went around him and patted him down. Other than a rifle, he had been unarmed. "Lay down on the floor face down with your hands stretched out and your legs spread."

He said, "What happens if I don't?"

I looked at him and said, "You die." He followed my instructions. Jane's victim was holding his leg and groaning. "Jane, if you would watch these two, I will take care of the one out front." I looked at my prisoner and said, "How many are out there?"

"Just Mi-mike."

"Hopefully, he's smart and can become a prisoner. Otherwise, he will die."

I went outside, donning my goggles. The shooter hadn't moved. He said, "What's up?"

He was kneeling behind a low concrete wall. I said, "Your hands, without the gun."

"Damn, where did you come from?"

"Release the rifle and raise your hands or you'll die not knowing." He seemed to obey but tried to turn with his rifle. He never made it. I shot him twice and he fell over dead only jerking once.

I said over the radio, "Bethany, Amos, come in slowly. I think it's over but be careful."

Their trucks came around the corner and into the parking lot. It remained quiet. I kept watch to be sure that there wasn't anyone else waiting to surprise us. No one was. The four of us went into the lobby where Jane was covering our two with her pistol. My victim hadn't moved. Hers had only moved a little. I think his leg hurt.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.