Aging Well 2, the Sequel - Cover

Aging Well 2, the Sequel

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 8

[Sandy writes]

We talked some more waiting for Jack's release and Gretchen's return.

She had been gone for over two hours when she returned with Doctor Abrams in tow. Her eyes had a dreamy look and his weren't much better. Both of them had silly grins.

I grinned at her and said, "Apparently, breakfast was okay."

Gretchen said, "Yes, it was quite good. Mack knows what to order in the cafeteria that they do well. However, it doesn't hold a candle to your cooking, Mom."

I said, "I wasn't talking about the food."

Gretchen blushed and then grinned. "I paid Poppa's ransom but my captor is a kindly, interesting man."

Doctor Abrams said, "I must be acceptable since she has agreed to have dinner with me tonight." He tried hard to keep a deadpan look on his face. He wound up grinning when Gretchen squeezed his arm.

I said, "Well, Doctor, be good to our girl. I would hate for her to have to beat you up!"

"Mom, that would be a close match. Mack does martial arts, too."

I said, "Oh, Mack is it?"

Gretchen said, "It's easier than saying Doctor Abrams all the time."

He said, "Please, everyone call me Mack."

Jack said, "Okay, Mack. How much longer before I get out?"

"It shouldn't be much longer. You can get up and get dressed."

Jack looked at me and said, "Where are my clothes, dear?"

I suddenly worried. "We moved your pants and all here from ICU. I don't know where your shirt might be."

Mack said, "I know. We cut it off. The police took it. I have a shirt in my locker. I'll get it." He left with Gretchen.

I grinned. "I don't think she plans to let him loose. I've never seen her like that before. I like it though."

They were back in ten minutes. Mack was grinning and Gretchen was blushing. "We came in while a few people were changing. Gretchen got to see a lot more of doctors than she expected. I suddenly wished I had been wearing scrubs today." Gretchen was now really blushing.

Jack and I looked at each other. I pointed at Gretchen and laughed. She continued to blush though was smiling.

Jack levered himself up. He said, "Some of you might want to look the other way." I helped him stand while he grabbed the back of his gown. We went into the bathroom. I gave him his boxers and pants and he pulled them on. He looked in the mirror and said, "That's a big bandage."

We came out and Mack handed him a shirt but said, "Sit on the bed first. I want to check my sewing." He looked at Jack's dressing including removing part of it. He said, "It's healing nicely. You're in good shape but take it easy for a week or so. I will want you in my office to get the stitches out early next week."

Jack said, "I'm a runner."

He said, "Not for at least a couple of weeks you aren't. You may walk but, if you feel any pain or even just a twinge, sit down and rest. You had some serious surgery." Jack and I nodded. "Gun shot wounds to the chest are serious and you had some serious bleeding that took some work." We nodded again.

Gretchen had tears in her eyes. Jack looked at her. "Love child, you did everything you could and more. I'm okay. Don't cry."

She wiped her eyes and nodded. "Poppa, I felt so helpless."

Jack said, "You do the best you can and the rest is up to God." He looked at Mack standing next to her. "Mack, how many have you lost on the operating table?"

He frowned and said, "Four and you were very close to being the fifth."

"Looking back on all five and particularly the other four, could you have done anything different that would have made a difference?"

He looked troubled but said, "No, Jack. You do your best but sometimes that's not enough. It still hurts."

Jack looked at Gretchen. "Gretchen, what you did and what Mack did along with a bunch of EMT's and nurses was enough. Take pride in that."

I said, "I am thankful to you two and all the others."

Jack had put his shirt on carefully. "It feels good to sit up and have pants on."

I smirked. "You've never complained about not having pants on before!"

It was Jack's turn to blush. He didn't long. He said, "Have you got the convertible here?"

I gasped. "I came in the ambulance. I haven't left since."

Gretchen said, "Chastity brought me. We had planned on another night. I don't have a ride either."

"Doctor Mack to the rescue! I have my four door truck here and can carry six if need be. It's roomy."

"Thanks, Mack. Why a big truck?" Jack asked.

"I go wilderness backpacking. It can go anywhere with everything I need inside."

"Jack and I camp. That's part of how we met. I think Gretchen hikes as well as runs."

Gretchen said, "I like to hike though work has gotten in the way in the last year or so."

Mack said, "We will need to work on that. We can talk about it tonight over dinner."

Jack said, "Take her to 'Bon Apetit.' You can try out your footwork, too. Just don't wear your hiking boots!"

Gretchen said, "I'll have to wear a skirt!"

Mack said, "That sounds good to me."

"Then you wear a coat and tie!"

"To see you in a skirt? That's a no-brainer." Gretchen blushed again.

Nurse Shipley came in with another person and a wheelchair. She said, "Mister Norris, your ride is here! Take care of yourself."

Jack thanked her for watching over him. He had to ride out in the wheelchair. Mack talked to the person a moment and said, "I'll meet you at the door." Gretchen followed him out the doorway still holding his hand.

Jack was seated and chuckling. He looked at the man who would handle the chair and said, "I guess it's better than being ridden out on a rail! Take me away!"

Jack even rode in the back seat of the truck. I think Gretchen enjoyed sitting beside Mack. She was as close as the console would allow. Following her instructions, he pulled up in our drive. He helped Jack out of the truck and we walked into our home. I had Jack sit in his favorite chair. He didn't argue. Though he hadn't complained, his face looked a little strained. I went into the kitchen followed by Gretchen. I was preparing tea and lemonade. "Gretchen, what does your boyfriend want to drink?"

She blushed and then popped outside. To my shock, I heard her say, "Mack, will it be lemonade, tea, or me!" I raced to the opening to look.

Mack was looking like it was an agonizing decision. Finally, he said, "Lemonade is great. Tea is very good. You would be excellent." He was sitting on the sofa close to Jack and gently pulled her to his lap and kissed her lips. "Yes. Very sweet and quite refreshing. I definitely made the right choice!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.