Internal Affairs
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2014 by MysteryWriter

They pulled into the drive which served both his rental house and his tiny house. Deeper into the two acre lot the storage building was located.

That building had been renovated into a Tiny studio apartment.

The House was in the condition previously described by Deputy Sykes. The roof had collapsed and the walls had crumbled. Since the house was occupied the ashes were typical. Things like the stove and refrigerator were lying there visible among the ruins of the kitchen cabinets. Dishes we covered in smoke residue but for the most part intact.

"Before you Bulldoze the remains you should set a date for the renters to come to sift through the ruins," Hillary suggested.

"You are right of course," Roger said. "The place is in ruins. It looks a lot like the pictures on TV of the houses in Gaza."

"Yeah a little," she agreed.

"I'm not going bulldoze it alright. I expect that the county turned off the water. I will have to get a plumber in again to isolate the house lines then turn the water back on."

I need to check the power to my apartment. You want to see where I live?" Roger asked.

"Sure," Hillary said.

"The place is going to be a mess," Roger said. "But just pull on down to the end of the drive.

A stand of pine trees surrounded the small barn type workshop. When Roger decided to move into it, he had it rehabilitated.

The shell repairs and up grades had cost him almost 12k but it had been worth the money. The roof structure was good for a big wind and the roofing material was a fifty year metal roof. It might need painting and resealing sometime, but it should be good for many years of service. The two window opening, one each side, had been tripled in size. Then thermal pane windows had been installed. The two garage doors had been removed first then a sliding door filled the front space the rear opening simply been enclosed.

The floor had been brick pavers for years, so nothing much had to be done to it. The tiny bathroom was all shower stall with a small toilet along the rear wall. There was two drains fitted into the floor. One drain was for the waste from the toilet and ran directly into the septic tank. All the other water was gray water and ran from the kitchen sink and shower directly into the sprinkler system which drained into the yard.

Roger explained it all to Hillary. "I see you have a full size kitchen even if it is compact."

Not really the refrigerator is an apartment size. It is about three times the size of a dorm refrigerator but still a third less space than a typical refrigerator. The sink is full sized, It is deep but not a double space hog sink. The counter beside it doubles as a two burner cook top and a small freezer underneath." Roger explained.

Roger flipped the switch and discovered he had power. He wasn't surprised since his line was independent of the house's power lines.

"And the unmade bed?" Hillary asked taking him back to the tour.

"A sofa bed, with two tables built in for storage." Roger explained. "I didn't have time to turn it into a sofa before I left for work."

"I guess if you don't have a lot of things, as you claim not to have, it would work," Hillary admitted.

"Yes now I have to spend more money on security," Roger said.

"I think that would be a wise investment," Hillary agreed. "Couple of CCTV cameras would go a long way to giving you peace of mind. Motion detectors inside a fence maybe."

"Something like that for sure. Anyway we need to get back to the office. It's past quitting time," Roger said.

"Yes it is," Hillary agreed.

They were on the drive back to the officer when Hillary said, "You know Roger, we get along well, I don't usually play nice with others," Hillary said.

"Yeah, that was the rumor around when we were both on patrol. Word was you were a bitch and stickler for the rules," Roger informed her. "No wonder you wound up in Internal Affairs."

"I suppose it was inevitable," Hillary agreed. "I do respect boundaries. I'm not sure you are the perfect partner for me. We for sure are not soul mates," she said stating the obvious.

"You mean all those rumors about sex in the office aren't true," Roger said.

"Not with you anyway," she said. "To change the subject, I saw a loft but no ladder and it appears empty."

"The ladder is stored the outside wall. The loft is supposed to be just a bed on the floor for guest. I probably will turn it into a secure storage area. I can put a bed up there if you ever need a place to crash."

"If I ever need a place to stay, I would expect you to be a gentleman and sleep in the loft and allow me to sleep in on the sofa bed," she replied.

"Fat chance," he said smiling at her.

Roger was on the scooter and headed home when he caught sight of the car in his mirrors. The car stayed on his tail most of the way home.

When he pulled into the drive the car pulled in behind him. Roger pulled the scooter off to the side, stopped, then walked back to the car.

"Something I can do for you?" he asked the very professional looking middle aged woman in the power suit.

"Can we talk, it is important?" she asked.

"Important to who," he asked.

"Whom," she said.

"Damn, some burns my house, then they send a grammar Nazi to protect me. Isn't Hillary bad enough?" he asked.

"You are lucky I'm not the assassin, or you would be dead." she said.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.