Home « Forum « Author Hangout

Forum: Author Hangout

Comma usage and spacing issues are universal

Bondi Beach

You may have read that Trump is suing the NYT for mean things the paper said about him. The NYT's chief lawyer responded,and in essence told them to f*** off and that the NYT would be happy to see The Donald get schooled on the law in court. It's a great letter.

It also has gone viral, apparently, and the lawyer has a semi-funny semi-serious op-ed on it. This paragraph warmed my heart and I knew it would strike a responsive chord on this discussion board.

"One person took issue with my comma usage. Somebody suggested I be disbarred. I was made aware of a raging online debate set off by the letter over whether there should be two spaces or one after a period."

bb

Crumbly Writer

Since I don't follow the NY Times Style Guide, I've arbitrarily decided to only use 2.3 spaces after every period, cut only 1.3 after a question or exclamation mark. ;)

Replies:   Ernest Bywater
Ernest Bywater

@Crumbly Writer

NY Times Style Guide


also known as the NYTS guide, for use by NYTwits - hehehehe

red61544

Hell with the style guide; I think that's the first time I've felt respect for a lawyer!

richardshagrin

99% of lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.

Crumbly Writer

@richardshagrin

99% of lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.

Lawyers give lawyers a bad name, and 99% of people have no clue what statistics mean or how to apply them.

Really? 99% Do you expect anyone to believe you didn't invent that out of whole cloth?

Dominions Son

@Crumbly Writer

Really? 99% Do you expect anyone to believe you didn't invent that out of whole cloth?


Do your really expect richardshagrin to be serious?

Replies:   richardshagrin
richardshagrin

@Dominions Son

Do your really expect richardshagrin to be serious?

Not when talking about the Donald.

Our current presidential election either makes me laugh or cry. Probably better to laugh. If this were an SOL story, people would complain about the suspension of disbelief required to read the story.

Bondi Beach

@Crumbly Writer

Really? 99% Do you expect anyone to believe you didn't invent that out of whole cloth?


I think he used nylon, not cotton.

bb

Ross at Play
Updated:

@richardshagrin


99% of lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.


I almost missed your joke entirely.
I was just about to post a reply along the lines of that's only because 98% have not been caught yet, when I finally spotted the reversal of the figures from what lawyers often say about themselves.
I have learned from bitter experience to always add a smiley after any posts like that here.
* * *
I agree with you about The Donald. It would be impossible to take him seriously if the potential real consequences were not so damn serious. :-)

sejintenej

I'm not sure about the 99% to 1%. OK so most American lawyers seem to chase ambulances like dogs chase whatevers and it is a wonder that with so many lawyers chasing so few ambulances that the lawyers should end up IN the ambulances.

I've dealt with too many American lawyers including a couple who claimed the time an cost of getting to New York from California for a meeting - what they did at the meeting must remain under cover. Excluding those the several US lawyers I have been against in NYK, Maryland and CA IMHO represented their clients fairly and honourably.

As for the T, did I hear that he was moaning that the USA had not yet used nuclear weapons? When (if) he gets the codes, bin nice corresponding with you

Back to Top