Voting is now open for the clitorides awards nominees. Discover and Vote [ X Dismiss ]
Home « Forum « Author Hangout

Forum: Author Hangout

How to find women authors

Socratic

Sometimes I'm in the mood to read stories written by women. But as far as I can tell, it's not possible to filter stories or author searches in storiesonline according to the author's gender.

It's very labor intensive to look at names and profiles and try to figure out who is female.

Do you think we can convince the webmaster to start collecting this information in profiles, and allowing us to use it as a filter criteria? Or maybe - less intrusive (and doesn't require revamping the profiles) would be a tag like "female author"?

sharkjcw

@Socratic

I don't think so. Most Authors do NOT use their real names on this or any other site.

Switch Blayde

@Socratic


Do you think we can convince the webmaster to start collecting this information in profiles


On the Internet, not everyone is truthful of who or what they are.

garymrssn

I think the best you can hope for would be stories told from a female point of view. A tag for that might not be too unreasonable.

awnlee jawking

@garymrssn

I don't think that would be enough. I can understand @Socratic wanting to read sex stories by women; in my opinion they're far better at erotic mood setting, whereas men are better at describing tab A into slot B.

AJ

Switch Blayde

@garymrssn

I think the best you can hope for would be stories told from a female point of view.


Except when a male author writes from a female's POV, he writes it the way a guy would want that female to behave.

Replies:   Not_a_ID
Not_a_ID
Updated:

@Switch Blayde


Except when a male author writes from a female's POV, he writes it the way a guy would want that female to behave.


Which is why it is probably they best to be hoped for. Short of Laz implementing some form of reliable identity verification(and I've had misadventures with that, there have been a couple times where such a verification failed me while I was trying to identify as myself), you're going to have women claiming to be male authors, and men claiming to be female authors. Depending on how good they are at writing, you may never know differently, or you might be able to tell right away.

Male authors writing erotica tend to give themselves away, at least to women, as they tend to be easier to find/catch as it were since the perspective is likely going to be "wrong" in subtle ways when it comes to the "sexy" scenes.

docholladay

@Socratic

Do you think we can convince the webmaster to start collecting this information in profiles, and allowing us to use it as a filter criteria? Or maybe - less intrusive (and doesn't require revamping the profiles) would be a tag like "female author"?


As a reader, I say its their choice not mine as a reader if their private information is posted or not and their gender definitely falls into the private category.

vastiesmith

I have some stories on here and I'm a female.

Replies:   Crumbly Writer
Ross at Play
Updated:

I would like there to be an item in author's profiles so they MAY enter whether they are male, female, or 'not specified' - then that becoming a category that can be selected for searches.
The default would be not specified, and I expect that it would mostly be female authors who wanted to use the option - but isn't that what we agree would be nice for readers to have.
Obviously, there's no way of enforcing authors are honest, but I would consider 1-bombing every story by someone who indicated they were female but wrote with an obvious "male style".
How about it Lazeez? Or should that be When about it?

Replies:   awnlee jawking
Crumbly Writer
Updated:

@vastiesmith


I have some stories on here and I'm a female.


Please, by all means, since Socratic asked for female authors, list your stories here so he can find them. However, I think the discussion wasn't as much about whether there are any women authors as much as it was 'how can we find the few that are here'.

@Ross

I would like there to be an item in author's profiles so they MAY enter whether they are male, female, or 'not specified' - then that becoming a category that can be selected for searches.


I'm afraid it would become like the "true" story tag. Rather than flagging any stories based on "true" events, most authors use it to denote "This really happened to me (the fictional character)" stories. Thus many authors would use it to flag any story with a female lead, regardless of who wrote it.

It's sad, but we don't always have the most literature of authors here. :(

Dominions Son

@Crumbly Writer

Thus many authors would use it to flag any story with a female lead, regardless of who wrote it.


You need to re-read Ross's comment. He was talking about a designation on the author's profile, not something that could be set on a story by story basis.

awnlee jawking

@Ross at Play

Just think if Lazeez fell victim to political correctness and listed twenty four gender options, like a certain UK institution.

There used to be a tool called Gender Genie which predicted the gender of the author based on the style of writing. It would be fun, but logistically impossible, to scan every story through it and implement a searchable 'gender' rating.

Last time I checked, my stories were averaging 60% probability that I'm female, 40% that I'm male. Obviously it didn't apply the proper weightings to sex scenes, because mine are a dead giveaway :(

AJ

Replies:   Ross at Play
Ross at Play

@Crumbly Writer

It's sad, but we don't always have the most literature of authors here. :(
MY EMPHASIS ADDED

Even more sad when one of the best we have is not even literate. ;)
Sorry. That one was too good to miss.

Ross at Play

@awnlee jawking

Just think if Lazeez fell victim to political correctness and listed twenty four gender options, like a certain UK institution.

Heaven help us from what I sometimes call the alphabet soup.

But dare I say that living in Indonesia. Most institutions here routinely ask for religion, however irrelevant to the service being requested, and only offer five alternatives - NOT including either an 'Other' or a 'None'. Perhaps that means atheists and Sikh's, etc. are not allowed to pay taxes?

My suggestion for Lazeez was based upon a law by the Australian Federal Government requiring all its agencies to allow a 'not stated' option on all forms that request a gender.

Back to Top