Good Medicine - Medical School I - Cover

Good Medicine - Medical School I

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 62: The Eye of the Storm

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 62: The Eye of the Storm - In a very short time, Mike Loucks has gone through two life-changing endings, with both leading to great beginnings. Graduating from WHTU as his school's Valedictorian, he ended his bachelorhood and engaged in the Dance of Isaiah ahead of his upcoming ordination as an Orthodox Deacon. Mike is about to enjoy his final summer off, including a long honeymoon in Europe. On the horizon though is the challenge Mike has wanted to tackle since he was a 4th grader: His first day of Medical School

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/ft   First   Clergy  

December 5, 1985, McKinley, Ohio

“How did it go?” Elizaveta asked the second I walked into the door of the cottage.

“Badly,” I replied. “Sasha could have had an automatic annulment because she was a minor, but she didn’t ask for that. The judge granted the annulment on the grounds that Sasha was basically compelled by Deacon Vasily to marry Yaroslav, but I think she also did it because Sasha was a minor, even if she couldn’t officially say that.”

“That’s terrible! The first one would have protected her dad!”

I nodded, “And I wonder if that was intentional, as we discussed when we first heard about it from Tasha.”

“Does Vladyka know?”

“I’m going to assume that Deacon Vasily will be obedient and make the call, but if he doesn’t, then Father Herman is required to do it.”

“He’ll be laicized, won’t he?” Elizaveta inquired.

“That’s up to the bishop, but a finding that Sasha was compelled to get married is certainly cause. That said, I think a plausible argument could be made for him to stay a deacon, based on what the judge said. More importantly, though, his blood pressure was acting up again, and Matushka was going to take him to see his doctor about his hypertension medication.”

“That’s ‘high blood pressure’, right? I remember from your study flashcards.”

“Yes. He was very upset when I revealed that Sasha had sought counseling for an abortion.”

“What?! Why would you say that?”

“Because it’s true, it happened, I knew about it, and it showed, in my mind, that Sasha wasn’t as afraid of her dad as she said. She actually contemplated an abortion, then decided not to.”

“You were trying to help Deacon Vasily?”

“As best I could, yes. Unfortunately, the bar for Sasha’s claim wasn’t very high, and I do think the judge took into account the issue of her being a minor. There isn’t much else to say, except that my mom showed up, but that wasn’t too surprising in that she works close to the courthouse.”

“How is Tasha?”

“Upset, obviously. You can ask her yourself when you see her. How was school today?”

“We’re studying reproduction in human anatomy,” she giggled. “I might know a bit about that!”

“Except they’re very light on the details on HOW you conceive, right?”

“True. And speaking of how, perhaps some practice before we go out for the evening?”

“And again when we come back?”

“Yes!”

After two hours of ‘practice’ we showered and headed out for the evening. After a meal at the Chinese restaurant, we decided to attend Vespers at Taft. As we walked down the hall towards the room, I saw that the ‘Bible thumpers’ as Robby called them, were handing out tracts, and Doctor Bush was with them.

“Good evening, Doctor Bush,” I said, a politely as I could.

“It’s anything but if you’re going into that room!” he declared.

I said nothing in response and we went through the door.

“I see our ‘friends’ are back,” I said to Mark.

“They only come about once a month when they hand out tracts,” he replied. “They also added a second weekly Bible study, which they are conveniently holding on Thursday nights.”

“Shocking,” I replied dryly. “You’re still getting between six and ten students each week, right?”

“Yes. About half of them are Roman Catholic, as the new priest recommended they attend.”

“That’s no real surprise as they don’t have any activities on campus and they don’t have any concerns about their students coming to Vespers.”

“Until they convert!” Alyssa said with a soft laugh.

“We don’t get all that many converts from Rome,” I replied. “The Greeks do, but that’s mostly those who marry in. The only RC converts in recent memory are the Rileys at Holy Transfiguration; Saint Michael had a couple of families convert several years ago.”

“Why is that?” Alyssa asked.

“In a sense, most of them would see it simply as giving up the Pope, so there’s no point, really, at least in their minds. That’s not theologically accurate, but it is the main reason. Strange as it sounds, it’s easier to bring a Protestant into the Church than a Roman Catholic.”

Father Nicholas came in and I received his blessing, then went to stand with Elizaveta for the service. When the service finished, Father Nicholas asked to speak to me privately, so we went to a quiet corner of the room.

“Father Herman called me about the hearing. May I ask why you felt it necessary to reveal that Sasha considered an abortion?”

“Because I felt that helped Deacon Vasily’s case. If Sasha was willing to have her baby and tell him, then she wasn’t as scared of him as she maintained. And before you ask, I counseled a pregnancy test, and then confession. The Free Clinics in Rutherford and McKinley routinely provide abortion counseling, and if Sasha wanted a test which nobody knew about, those were basically her only options.”

“It appears not to have helped,” Father Nicholas said ruefully.

“I agree, though what annoys me is that she had a right to an automatic annulment if she wanted it, but failed to put that in the petition. I don’t know if that was ignorance or spite, but whichever it was, it meant that the ruling had to be based on her claims that she was compelled into a ‘shotgun marriage’.”

“It’s usually the boy at the business end of the shotgun,” Father Nicholas replied.

“Do you have any idea what Vladyka will do?”

“First he’ll meet with Father Deacon Vasily, and read the actual ruling from the court, then decide. It could be anything from no action to being returned to the order of the laity, or anything in between, including a suspension. We’ve never had a situation like this in our diocese as far as I’m aware. Plenty of girls married in their teens in the 50s and 60s, but that’s far less common now, and back then, everyone simply assumed a couple who conceived out of wedlock would marry. That’s no longer true.”

“Father Herman said something similar to the judge. I was very glad he was circumspect about the one recent instance of which he was aware.”

Father Nicholas laughed softly, “He wasn’t sure how the judge would react, so he felt it was better to speak in general, rather than specific, terms.”

“A good thing, too, as that was the judge who presided over my sister’s hearing. If you don’t mind, Elizaveta and I were going to finish our date.”

“By all means! See you at church on Saturday!”

I received Father’s blessing and then Elizaveta and I left the campus, and headed to the diner to have pie and ice cream for dessert. When we finished eating, we headed home for more ‘practice’.

December 6, 1985, McKinley, Ohio

“How did it go yesterday?” Clarissa asked when we met in the medical school parking lot on Friday morning.

“Badly,” I replied. “The short version is that Sasha was entitled to an automatic annulment because she was a minor, but didn’t ask for that. That meant the judge basically had to find that she was ‘compelled’ in order to give her an annulment and not force it to go to divorce court. And that’s what she did.”

“And the long version?”

I explained as we walked into the building and got our coffee, finishing just before we sat down with our friends.

“How did it go yesterday?” Fran asked.

“About like I expected,” I replied. “Tasha’s sister was granted an annulment. If you don’t mind, I’d prefer to leave it at that and focus on anatomy.”

“That bad, huh?”

“Pretty much.”

The rest of the day at the medical school was typical - lecture, lab, lunch, the steam room, and our practice of medicine class, where we continued to practice using stethoscopes and other instruments used for basic examinations. When we finished, Clarissa and I walked out to the parking lot together, as was our habit.

“You were awfully quiet today,” Clarissa observed. “What did you leave out about yesterday?”

I took a deep breath and let it out.

“Tasha made the point that it wasn’t fair for her dad to be in trouble for something he didn’t do, which might result in him being laicized, while I was promiscuous, and get to keep my position.”

“She actually said that?!” Clarissa gasped.

“Yes, but not really against me. I offered to ask the bishop to return me to the laity if she wanted to make that complaint, but she demurred. And, to be honest, I understand her point, though the circumstances are somewhat different.”

“You’ve made the point about sin not disqualifying you from ministry.”

“Not automatically,” I replied. “In the end, it’s up to the bishop to decide how to deal with his clergy. Anything that might cause a scandal or bring reproach on the clergyman warrants some kind of attention. What that will be, I have no idea. Tasha isn’t going to make that comparison to anyone but me, and as I said, she wasn’t complaining about me, so much as what she thinks is going to happen with her dad.”

“Are you feeling guilty?”

“No, just bothered by the fact that all of this was unnecessary.”

“Do you blame yourself? I mean, it’s not like you got Sasha pregnant or suggested she marry Yaroslav!”

“No, I don’t blame myself,” I replied. “I just wish it hadn’t come to this.”

“Don’t get depressed, Petrovich! Is there anything you can do?”

“Wait to see what the bishop decides,” I replied.

There was also the question of what was going to happen with Father Herman, and the double-whammy that might cause for Holy Transfiguration. It might also affect me directly, if I have to serve at Holy Transfiguration for an extended period of time.

“Well, put it out of your mind so you can enjoy the party at Doctor Blahnik’s house tonight!”

“I’ll see you there, Lissa. Thanks for listening.”

“Anytime! You know that.”

We each got into our cars and left the parking lot, turning in opposite directions. About ninety minutes later, Elizaveta and I arrived at Doctor Blahnik’s house for the holiday party which she had decided to throw for her students, as well as some of us who had graduated. Most of our old gang was in attendance, though Pete and Sandy had chosen to spend the night at their apartment. Their relationship was rocky, mostly because of the stress Sandy was feeling, and Clarissa, Fran, and I had all suggested more quiet time together.

“It’s OK if you hang out with your friends, Mike,” Elizaveta said as we helped ourselves to food from the dining room table. “There are plenty of people I know here, so you don’t have to stay by my side the entire evening.”

“Trying to get rid of me already?” I teased.

“Not even!” Elizaveta protested. “But I know there are plenty of people you’ll want to talk to, and I don’t want you to worry about me.”

“I always worry about you, Kitten! You’re my wife.”

“You know what I meant! Why are you being so difficult?”

I chuckled, “Because I can and it’s fun!”

“My toy is SO coming out tonight, husband!”

“I love you, Kitten!”

“Too late!”

I laughed, then kissed her, and we took our plates of food into the music room where we sat near Milena, Joel, José, and Dona.

“Will you play tonight?” Milena asked after everyone exchanged greetings.

“I have my guitar in the car,” I replied. “So if José is up for it, we could jam a bit.”

“Sure,” he agreed.

“You know, I never asked if you decided on your major.”

“Chemistry, with the same goal as before - research and a professorship.”

“Any idea where you’ll go to grad school?”

“Doctor Stanton is hoping I’ll stay here at Taft, but a lot will depend on what Dona decides to do after we graduate. But we have a year or so to figure that out.”

“I sure hope you do stay,” Milena said. “I’d hate to see the band break up or you not be able to give concerts for orientation!”

“I think the band is safe,” José replied. “Worst case, I’ll be at UC, and it’s not a big deal to drive here from Cincinnati for practice. Mike is the one whose schedule is going to make a mess of practice times.”

“No kidding,” I replied. “And there’s the question of what Kim and Sticks do as well. But we’ll work all of that out when the time comes.”

“How is medical school going?” Milena asked.

“We’re all doing well; everyone has at least a shot at ‘honors’ and I’d say there’s a good chance we’ll all get it.”

“And church?”

“Other than the requirement that I attend Parish Council meetings, it’s great!”

Milena laughed, “Mom says the same thing about the meetings the Chancellor holds with the Department Chairs.”

“I think ALL meetings are like that!” Deb said, shaking her head. “Does ANYONE like them?”

“Tasha, apparently,” I chuckled. “She’s totally in her element in those meetings.”

“Shocking,” Dona said flatly.

“You know those Russian women,” I said with a smirk, earning a soft elbow in my side, reinforcing the ‘threat’ of Elizaveta using her flogger.

“Passionate and feisty!” Milena said. “I think it’s Slavic, not just Russian!”

“You haven’t met too many Hispanic women, have you?” José asked, shaking his head. “Or Cherokee, for that matter!”

“Dona?” Joel asked.

“Yes. And it doesn’t matter that it’s only an eighth!”

“Nor that my sister is only half Russian,” I said.

“And of course, all men are perfect, is that it, husband?”

“By no means, Kitten! Just that we all like passionate, feisty women! I mean, we do marry you, after all!”

“Just wait!” Elizaveta threatened.

“I see he’s quaking in his cassock,” Milena teased.

“He should be!” Elizaveta declared fiercely.

Everyone laughed and when we finished eating, Elizaveta excused herself to go talk to Brandon and Kimiko.

“Enjoying being married?” Deb asked.

“You could say that,” I chuckled.

“I bet SHE is!” Deb smirked.

“Let’s not take this too far,” Milena cautioned. “Those robes require a modicum of decency. And we don’t want to upset his matushka!”

“She’s not that sensitive,” I replied. “But it’s better if certain parts of my past were kept in the past.”

Deb smiled and nodded, “I understand.”

“Mike, how’s Angie?” Milena asked.

“No better, no worse, which in her situation is honestly the best we can hope for. There is basically no chance she’ll ever get better, and better than 2-1 odds that she gets worse. She’s working, taking a class, going to church, and taking Aikido. For someone with her condition, that’s about the pinnacle of success. But she’s still on medication, and there is no real chance of her ever being able to stop taking it.”

“Frightening.”

I nodded, “It is. She’ll need someone to care for her for the rest of her life.”

“You?” she asked.

“I’m part of the team, including her parents and her priest,” I replied. “Most of her friends have moved away or are afraid of, well, I guess ‘catching’ what she has. It’s part of the problem with caring for people with mental illness - people don’t understand and are afraid.”

“That’s just totally wrong!” Milena protested.

“Yes, but it’s also totally true,” I sighed. “And the medical community isn’t much better. The same goes for the disease I suspect you’ve heard about, which the papers call the ‘gay disease’, but which medicine is now calling AIDS - Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome- because it’s not just gays who have it. In fact,” I lowered my voice, “all of you should probably be tested just as a precaution. I had a test before I proposed to Elizaveta.”

“Who proposed to whom?” José asked, causing everyone to laugh.

“Whatever!” I chuckled. “But in all seriousness, you should be tested. They do the test at the clinic where Abby moonlights, and you get results in about two weeks. Better safe than sorry.”

“But there’s no treatment, right?” Joel inquired.

“There are experimental treatments, but no, there’s no cure. Granted, I’ve only had my undergrad biochem and what amounts to one semester of med school, but given the problem is one of opportunistic infections, finding a way to boost the patient’s immune system should make it something you can live with, similar to herpes. But I’m speculating now, based on what was said by my professors and at the hospital.”

“Which is a hell of a lot more than what we’ve heard about - in school or out!” José said ruefully.

“No kidding,” Milena interjected. “Sex education is woeful in most places. It seems school boards and parents think that if you don’t teach kids about birth control, pregnancy, and VD, they won’t have sex.”

“Fat chance!” Deb said, laughing and shaking her head. “Teenagers figure it out all the time without help from school boards or parents!”

“As demonstrated by the number of teenage pregnancies that Abby sees at the clinic every month,” I replied.

“Is it just classroom work so far?” Deb asked.

“No, I’m on my second observation assignment at University Hospital. The first was the ER, the second is pediatrics. But it’s just observation. I watch, get to ask questions, and do what they call ‘scut’. Basically, that means running around doing things like getting labs, or taking a patient from the ER to pediatrics, or escorting a parent to a waiting room, or whatever. But, I’m making good contacts and learning a lot, even if I’m prohibited from touching a patient.”

“You guys ready to jam?” Milena asked, seeing that both José and I had finished eating.

“I am,” I replied.

“Let’s do it!” José declared.

Ten minutes later, after I’d retrieved my guitar from my car and we’d warmed up, José and I did our jazz routine, where he picked a jazzy, upbeat Latin song and I riffed off his lead. We had a great time, and everyone enjoyed our music. When we finished, I spent some time talking with Jocelyn and Gene, and then with Robby, Lee, and Sophia. Just before midnight, at Elizaveta’s prompting, we said ‘good night’ and left Doctor Blahnik’s house.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.