Eden Rescue - Cover

Eden Rescue

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 46

There was a substantial welcoming party waiting as the sub-orbital came in for its landing on New Eden. Meiersdottir's entire estate staff had all turned out to greet their mistress, along with the two of Igwanda's security detail who were currently stationed there. The bulk of his security forces were now based on another nearby island but maintained their vigilance to prevent unauthorized encroachments by either air or sea.

And, in equal numbers—still numeric parity, she noted—were the Edenites. All males, based on their appearance, her thought continued. I expect the females are already working on their nests. But how wonderful to see them here!

The flight in had been without incident. Their departure, by contrast, had been more eventful. Meiersdottir had arranged for a takeoff at 0600 hours local time in an effort to avoid media coverage, but she'd reckoned without the reporters' persistence. Having maintained round-the-clock surveillance of the hotel where the Ark's returning crew had been lodged, they were immediately aware that her party was leaving and, with each alerting others, it was a virtual caravan that arrived at the terminal. Their shouted questions were ignored, but the old woman did turn to wave at them as she was wheeled on board.

When they were at last airborne Meiersdottir made good on her promise to explain the odd circumstances of their return to Toshimura. Initially she began with the expurgated version of the story they'd memorialized in the revised ship's log, but at MacPherson's insistence she soon switched to full disclosure after extracting a promise of silence. Toshimura listened to the tale mostly without comment.

"So that damned Mallet was the problem after all," he said when she was done. "Always thought he was just a political hack, and a bad fit at SES. But I admit I never saw him as malicious, I just figured him for a jackass." He turned to MacPherson. "Angus, I know you feel bad about being taken in, but it happens. We all make mistakes. Some day I'll tell you about the one I made on the first trip to Eden, it was a lot worse than yours, I actually screwed up so bad it got somebody killed. Isn't a day goes by I don't regret it, even after all these years. Be proud of what you did, at least you had the chance to make up for the mistake you made."

"You did, too, John," Meiersdottir interjected. "This whole thing, Eden Rescue, started with you. Without you they'd all have died. I think even Carol"—the trooper who'd been killed all those years ago because of Toshimura's blunder—"would forgive you now."

For the remainder of the flight Meiersdottir powered her chair over for a lengthy discussion with her grandson and his wife. With amusement MacPherson reflected that it was probably the first the two of them were hearing about her notion of their taking over SES; th'auld woman has a way o' makin' plans forr itherrs wi'oo' consul'in' 'em firrs', he thought. But by the time the vehicle was landing she seemed to have persuaded them around to her point of view. And that, the captain reckoned, was typical of her as well.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.