Eden Rescue - Cover

Eden Rescue

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 45

The Houston homecoming was everything Meiersdottir had promised. Media coverage was extensive, and the entire staff of Eden Rescue was flown in to join the celebration. As the harrowing story of their narrow escape from the Eden system emerged, MacPherson and to a lesser extent Cromartie found themselves momentarily media darlings, much to their—and especially the captain's—embarrassment.

Ironically, Mallet himself was also showered with fulsome praise for his and his agency's role in the Ark's success. With a politician's adaptability he quickly embraced the adulation lavished on him and was a prominent figure at the many events that followed.

"Don't get used to it, Eugene," Meiersdottir warned him quietly when they were seated next to each other at the head table of yet another dinner honoring the returnees three days after their landing. "Twenty-seven days left and counting. You can enjoy your fifteen minutes of fame, but never forget that I or any of us can turn it to shit in the blink of an eye. And even after you leave I suggest you stay off the radar. That recording's always going to be there."

The smile vanished from his face for an instant. When it returned it looked a little forced.

Toshimura, in particular, had seemed a bit disgruntled when he first arrived on the special flight chartered for Eden Rescue directors and key department heads. He'd grudgingly accepted his exclusion from the Ark's crew, but was much less understanding of the secretive nature of the Edenites' arrival at New Eden.

"I thought we were going to have the whole thing holocast, Amanda," he complained to Meiersdottir. "You have no idea how I was looking forward to that. Instead you almost sneaked them in, and I didn't get to see any of it. Dammit, this was my baby from the start, and I wind up excluded from all the fun stuff!"

"It's a very long story, John, and we don't have time for it now," she said. "But yes, it was your baby, I know. Tell you what: Carlie and Alicia and I are going home in a couple of days. Why not come with us? Stay as long as you like, say hi to the Edenites, and I'll tell you the whole thing then."

"'Say hi to the Edenites?'" he questioned. "Where are you calling 'home?'"

"New Eden, John," she told him. "I told you I'd love to share with the Edenites, but share is what I meant. We only Edenformed most of the island, there's still my little estate and that's where I intend to finish my days. I mean, it's still my island."

He burst out laughing. "I'll be damned, Amanda," he said. "You and Carlos always did it your way, didn't you?"

She flashed a grin. "Tried to. Any objections?"

"Nah, I think you earned it. But you've got a houseguest."

And he wouldn't be the only one. A full medical team complete with rehabilitation specialists, and including also O'Bannion, would be joining them in short order to help Meiersdottir get at last free of the wheelchair (now a plush self-powered one) of which she'd grown heartily tired already. All of the Ark's crew had standing invitations to visit whenever they chose, as did the Eden Rescue employees down to the lowliest clerk. And the media were also queuing up for the opportunity to see a fully functional New Eden.

There remained, however, one invitation to extend. Four days after their triumphant landing she knocked loudly on the door of the hotel room in which MacPherson had sequestered himself to avoid the persistent media attention.

"Gae 'way, I've naethin' t'say," came from within.

"Open the damn door, Angus, I don't have the key to this one," she called.

Within seconds she heard bolts clicking and the door was flung open. "Missus!" he exclaimed. "I though' 'twas mair o' them. Ye'rre allus welcome. Come in quick, though, they're pes'errin' a' me all th' time."

"The price of fame, Angus," she said, powering her chair over his threshold. He quickly rebolted behind her.

"I' 'll pass," he muttered. "'Twas th' same afterr Luciferr forr a time, bu' new things come alang an' people forrge' all aboo' th'ol'."

"Not this time, with New Eden always there to remind them," she told him. "And what you did with the Ark was even more spectacular than Lucifer. Wait 'til they see the log."

"Bu' wha' am I t'do?" he burst out. "'Twas a verra kin' thing ye did aboo' th'log, bu' hoo can I lis'en t'all o' them callin' me hero an' all, knowin' ivverr' minu'e 'twas I pu' ye inta tha' mess in th' firrs' place?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.