I Walked Away - Cover

I Walked Away

Copyright© 2014 by happyhugo

Chapter 2

Sunday morning I was up early getting things ready on the patio. I knew it would be hot and I wanted to make sure the power awning worked okay. It did. I was pretty nervous. Had I made a mistake by not telling my family about Arlene and Jacky before this? I hadn't thought so, but now I had to face the fact they were going to be surprised and come down on me for being so private in my life.

Dad believed in never being late and I had said to come for one o'clock. I expected him and Mom with the kids a little after noon. I was puttering around in the back yard. I had been chasing Jacky. At three years he was as active as a three-year-old could be. I was holding the struggling boy in my arms.

I looked up when I realized that I had company. Mom asked, "Who is the child? Is the boy yours?"

"No Mom, his name is Jacky Anderson. He and his mother live here with me. Go through the door into the kitchen. You'll meet Arlene where she is making up salads." Mom looked disgusted at me and went inside. Randy and Sammy came toward me. Sammy hugged me, squeezing Jacky between us. This made Jacky laugh.

"Got a kiss for me?"

Jacky puckered up and Sammy got a sloppy kiss. Then he struggled to get down, saying, "Tag, tag."

"We have been playing tag. He wants you to play with him." Soon Randy, Sammy, and Jacky were racing around the yard having a great time. I hadn't had a chance to greet dad until now. "Hi Pop, you found the place okay?"

"Yeah. I thought you lived alone."

"No. I met Arlene sometime ago. I moved here and bought the house when I divorced Kim. The house belonged to an elderly lady and Arlene was staying with her. I guess you could say Arlene came with the house. It has been a good arrangement for both of us." Just then Mom and Arlene came out.

Arlene came right up to Dad saying, "You are Sam Henderson, Johnny's father. I'm Arlene Anderson. I can see you have met my son, Jacky."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Miss. Your son is a lively little boy."

"He is that. Actually I'm not Miss, but a Mrs. and sad to say a widow. I was pregnant when my husband died in an accident. At the time I was also destitute and broken hearted. Johnny came to my rescue by setting up a site for donations in my husband's memory. I used that to live on. A nice lady who needed a companion gave me a place to live until Jacky was born."

"And where is the lady now?"

"She went to live with her sister. This was about the time that Johnny was having troubles at home. When he divorced, he moved here with me after buying this home from her. I have a little sales business he helped me start and he continues to write. He really is becoming quite a famous author."

Dad turned to me. "I thought your writing was to magazines and newspapers?"

"Dad, I still do a little writing of articles, but now I'm pretty much a fiction writer. I have three novels published and write short stories for three different monthly magazines. The novels are a series with the same main characters."

Dad stared at me and then asked, "You're not that Jay Henderson I read about that just received a whopping advance for his fourth book, are you?"

I grinned, "I guess I'll admit that I am. I also received a contract to write a total of six books with these characters and then begin a new series with different characters."

Arlene looked at me. "Johnny, you know what your family likes to drink. Would you bring out the cooler and we will sit and relax before we start to eat. I understand there is one more person coming?"

Mom answered, "Yes Henry Canaan, Horace's father-in-law."

"Mom, it's Johnny, not Horace. You agreed, remember?" My mother smiled and nodded. This let me know that she wasn't above getting back at me for keeping quiet about Arlene. It also let me know that she had found Arlene to her liking.

As I walked away, Arlene was telling my parents that this was the first time she had ever heard me come anywhere near bragging about my writing. God, I felt good.

Randy and I brought out the cooler. I had beer, ale and soda pop. Jacky grabbed a bottle of ale when I opened the cooler, and cried when Arlene took it away from him. It was the pretty green bottle that attracted him. "Okay Jacky, take a taste, but you won't like it."

"Will too." Arlene didn't reply, just snapping the top off as he held it. He tipped it up and took a swig. He spit out and dropped the bottle. He started crying when it broke and came running into my arms.

"Tell Mommy you're sorry for not listening to her. Can you go get the dust pan so she can pick up the glass?" He scrambled out of my arms and ran into the house with the door banging after him. He came out saying he was sorry.

"Now, would you like some orange soda?"

"Yes Mommy."

Just then Henry came around the side of the house. Etta was following him. I stood up and shook his hand. Etta didn't know how to approach me. I suspected she didn't know if she was welcome or not. I turned and opened my arms. "Mother Canaan, I'm glad you came. It has been a long time since we've seen each other. You are just in time to hear of some plans I have. I've been waiting until Randy and Sammy got here. Now that they are, I can share with you.

"First though, Henry and Etta, I'd like you to meet Arlene Anderson, and her son Jacky. Arlene, this is Etta and Henry Canaan, my mother and father-in-law and Randy and Sammy's grandmother."

I was surprised to see Etta. I would make nice although I remembered her as being difficult. The afternoon was going so well I didn't want any trouble. Was Etta curious about me and where I lived, or was she just making sure her grandchildren had a good place to stay now that I had taken custody?

"Oh, I'm pleased to meet you. I didn't realize Horace had a woman in the house. Is the little boy his?"

"No, he isn't the father. I'm a widow. I'll have to tell you how we met. Also he has dropped the name of Horace and goes by Johnny now."

"Thank God for that. My daughter hated the name and I'm afraid she came to hate him as well. I hope you can make him happier than she did."

Arlene didn't answer Etta, looking at me. "Johnny, you can tell them now."

"Okay sweetheart. First everyone, I have asked Arlene to become my wife and second, now that Randy is here, I would like him to stand with me. We are planning to be married two weeks from yesterday. There will be no honeymoon at present, but later sometime in the fall."

Arlene spoke, "Sammy, I know we have just met, but we have two weeks to get to know each other. I'd like it very much if you would be my maid of honor."

Sammy looked thrilled. "I'd love to. Oh, but I don't have a thing to wear to a wedding."

"You will, dear. You are going to have a beautiful gown. I have to buy one during the week and you can help me pick it out. We will get you one at the same time."

Dad laughed. "You're a typical woman, Sammy. The first thought is how to get a new dress." Mom playfully punched him.

Etta asked, "Where is the ceremony being held?"

"Near here. Four houses down the street there is a small church. The padre is a friend of ours. We will have it held in the church in front of the altar. There will be an organist to play music while we walk down to the front, this is all. Nothing complicated. Arlene wanted to be married in a church this time around. It will be simple but nice. Mom, Dad, Henry and Etta, would you like to be there with us?"

Mom didn't hesitate. "Try and keep us away."

Henry looked at Etta, "We'll be there, count on it."

This was the first time in years that I was having a conversation with my mother-in-law. She had changed somehow. While married to Kim, it seemed as if she didn't think much of me and more like I was less than a man. Maybe it was because I always deferred to Kim. Now though, she appeared glad to be in my company. She even seemed taken with Arlene.

It also could be because she saw that Sammy and Randy were happy. They were still chasing after Jacky. I choked up a little. I had never in my whole life seen my two kids as happy as they were right now.

I got the grill hot and started the hamburgers. Jacky had tired himself out, and fell asleep after the first three bites of his hotdog. Sammy asked, "Arlene, may I take him up to bed?"

Mom and Etta wanted to go too. "Guys, it looks as though we are the ones with the hot food. I'll cook more when they come back." Randy dove in without hesitation. When the women returned, I explained about Arlene and my life together. Well most of it anyway. I might have fudged the timeline of our first intimacies a little. Arlene smirked, but that was fine.

After lunch, Arlene showed them her business and how she operated. They were impressed when she showed them the tallied amount she had taken in for the month. "That's the gross and the cost eats up 55%, but still I have a good income."

"How did you get started?"

"I answered an ad for a list of home businesses that you could start with $1,000 or less. This buying over the internet was something I picked to try. Johnny wanted to give me the money, but I didn't want that. He was my friend and if this didn't fly, I was afraid it would come between us. Anyway, for my birthday, he gave me $100 and that's what I started with. It was slow going at first, but it is compounding now by leaps and bounds.

"This is all great. I'm working at home where I can be with Jacky. I've held my own with the cost of running our home. And then there is Johnny. He is awful slow sometimes. I didn't think he was ever going to make love to me."

"Let me say something in my own defense here. You have to remember that Arlene was widowed a few weeks before I met her. I could tell she loved her husband and needed time. I certainly wasn't going to hit on her under these circumstances. I wanted her to get well beyond her husband before I made a move. And Jacky, the nurse handed him to me as soon as he was examined when he was born. This was before he was given to his mother to nurse.

"I may be slow, but I wanted to be sure I was making the right decision when I do make a move. I felt a lot of guilt and I didn't want to feel I was trading one woman for another. Kim made it easy for me by not acting as if she wanted me any longer. When I resolved that in my mind, it was time to open up my heart for someone else to enter.

"Arlene says I am slow, but I felt she was aware I never would've left her at anytime. There was always Randy and Sammy to consider too. How would they feel if I had up and married another woman right off soon? Their grandparents have been great, but it's not like having a mom and dad to love and care for them.

"When I saw that it was possible for both to come and live with me, I knew it was time to give them a stepmother. So I may be slow, but I do get the job done."

I looked at Arlene. She had tears in her eyes. "Johnny, I think I understand you more and better as time goes on. That was beautiful. Everyone, can you see why I said yes when he asked me to marry him?"

When a woman looks at you like Arlene just had, you can't doubt their love. For a fleeting moment, I examined my memories. Kim had never looked at me with such love. What I was seeing here came from the heart, not just the eyes. I blushed.

I quickly turned attention to the area across the room where I did my writing and it was another chance for me to brag a little more. I was bragging to bolster my image in Sammy and Randy's eyes. There was one other in the group who I wanted to impress as well. I got along with Henry well enough, but Etta Canaan had always looked down on me. I never could figure this out.

She appeared nervous around me at times and sometimes I would catch her staring at me. She very seldom had addressed me directly and I had known her for sixteen years. The last two years, not at all. When I traveled to visit my kids after the divorce, she kept from sight. I might speak to Kim if she was in, but usually the children were ready at the door for me to take them out. Today though, Etta was treating me like a normal person and acted almost as if she liked me.

It was time for the grandparents to leave. There were some tears from the two grandmothers along with multiple hugs and kisses. Henry and Sam hugged Sammy and shook hands with Randy. My two children stood in the driveway watching them leave. They looked after the two vehicles for several minutes after they had passed from view.

They turned back, coming inside. Just then Jacky made it known he was awake. Famous for being fussy when first up from his afternoon nap, today he was surprised and happy to have someone other than their mother and me to pay attention to him. He hadn't fully realized that the older kids were going to live here permanently.

He looked at Sammy and at Randy and then he smiled. "Oh boy, some bodies to play with."

Sammy took over. "Come with me Jacky, you missed lunch. I'll make you something to eat."

"I have to go potty first. Can you wipe me?"

Sammy looked at me and I smiled, saying, "Have fun."

"Thanks a lot, Dad." Randy was standing behind me, not wanting any part of this.

Arlene took over. "You don't mind do you, Sammy. Jacky will tell you what needs to be done and probably how to do it too. Randy, I have to complete a sale on my computer. Would you like to see how I handle it?"

"Yes, I would."

"Johnny, could you get something for Jacky to eat? When we get free, we'll get Sammy and Randy settled into their rooms." An hour latter we trooped upstairs and started putting clothes away. Jacky was bouncing on the beds when we went into each room, making it difficult to make them up.

We went into my room and began to make up the bed. Sammy looked at me strangely. "Don't you sleep with Arlene in her room?"

"I have on occasion. With you and Randy here, I didn't know whether I should until after we were married."

"Christ Dad, Randy and I would think it odd if you don't. You're single and so is Arlene. Mother wouldn't hesitate for a minute. You should hear her and Uncle Fred go at it ... he and the other men she brings home for that matter. Grandma used to scream at her about her lifestyle, but Mom just told her to shut up."

"I didn't know this."

"We know. Mom said she would disown us if we told you. You are aware now, so we are off the hook. It bothered grandma so much she has been going to a therapist."

"I did notice she was friendlier with me today. For Etta, it had to be a good move." Nothing more was said. I wondered if Henry knew all about Etta and that she had gone to a professional for help? I wouldn't imagine he did. He had to know what kind of a person Kim, his daughter was. Hell, I was the only one who had been clueless. I wonder if there was more to come out in the future. It didn't matter that much anymore. Kim wasn't my wife and I had Sammy and Randy living with me now.

I still had my brother Fred to deal with at some point. Even there it would be for the pain he had caused my mother and father, not so much for myself. Sammy and I left the bed unmade and we returned to the first floor taking my pajamas with me.

Wednesday Mom and Etta came down alone to go shopping for dresses. They were headed for a bridal boutique that had ready-made dresses. I said to Randy, "This is a big deal for the women. Let's go get a suit for you. It will please Arlene immensely."

"Okay Dad, I don't have one. I'll need one for school functions anyway." We found a nice grey one for Randy in the men's store and it was altered while we waited. I knew we would have time because women shopping together, they would be away most all day.

When we got back to the house there was a big Harley Davidson bike parked in the driveway. I was puzzled for I didn't know anyone who rode. We got out of our car and I walked around to the back. There was this huge man sitting in one of the patio chairs. "Can I help you?"

"Maybe. You must be Johnny Henderson. Arlene called a friend of mine a couple of days ago to tell me she was getting married. I happened to be crashing there so I came by to check you out."

"And you would be?"

"I'm Jimmy Stein, Arlene's stepbrother."

"Oh, she never mentioned she had a brother?"

"Well, that's because I've asked her never to talk about me. I've been in trouble a lot and she doesn't need me cluttering up her life. I love my little sister even though there is no blood between us and I just wanted to make sure she was picking a good man. I've been away for a spell, if you get my meaning and haven't been home long. I'm putting my life back together. The only thing I own is my bike. I won't bother you none, but I would like to see her."

"Well, stick around. She'll be gone for awhile. The women are off buying dresses. This is my son Randy. My daughter, Sammy is with Arlene, and both with my mother and Etta, my ex-mother-in-law. They have Jacky, Arlene's baby with them. Arlene has never said much about her life while growing up. You can fill me in." I began to question Jimmy. "You must have known, Jack, Arlene's husband?"

"I did. He was my bud and we rode together. Arlene was always on the back of my bike too, that is until she and Jack became a couple. They kind of dropped out of the bunch we rode with after they fell in love. Shortly before they headed this way, I got into a fight and got sent up for assault and haven't been out very long. A friend kept my bike for me or I wouldn't have anything."

"That's tough. What's your line of work?"

"Bike's, of course. They were my whole life before my trouble. Now it is difficult to find work in any of the shops around my area. I'm towel man working for tips in a car wash right now and I hate it. Are there any Bike shops around this area?"

"The only one I'm familiar with is in my old home town about thirty miles from here. They sell and service. I went to school with the owner. I'll give you a note if you want."

"You don't know me. Why would you want to do that?"

"You don't know me either and you've been open about your past. You're Arlene's brother and that's good enough for me. You'll be here for our wedding won't you?"

"I don't know. I'm pretty rough looking. All I have is jeans to wear and they aren't too clean. I'd like to be there though."

"Let's go get you fixed up then. New shirt and new pants. Wear your leather vest. That looks good and that is who you are. Arlene will be pleased, I'm sure." He hadn't stood until now. He was huge. He looked eight feet tall even when I knew he wasn't, but beside of my five-ten he towered over me.

"God man, I'm thinking Arlene lucked out." We headed back into town and were still back before the women showed up. Jimmy was anxious about finding a job, so I wrote a note and sent him off to see if my friend would hire him. He left his new clothes in my old room lying on the bed. Randy asked to ride on behind him, but I thought that was a bit much and too soon and said no. We had to get to know this guy better before that was going to happen.

Arlene was excited about the wedding dress she had purchased when the women returned later that afternoon. Randy got Sammy aside and was filling her in about Jimmy. I heard him tell her he thought they might be able to ride on a motorcycle after they got to know Arlene's brother better.

After Mom and Etta left I told Arlene that her brother was going to be here for our wedding. She ran and jumped into my arms, wanting to know where he was? "He is looking for work and will be back to stay here tonight. He will have my old room. Hope you don't mind?"

"Johnny, you make me so happy. You must hate me for not telling you about Jimmy?"

"You can explain tonight after you see him. Actually he is so big I want to keep on his good side."

"He is big, isn't he? He is six feet-five inches and weighed two hundred and sixty pounds when I saw him last. I wonder if he has changed much. I haven't seen him for almost five years. You got along with him okay? He was always protective of me."

"Yeah, I think we did. Wouldn't you say so, Randy?" Randy nodded.

"Good. We'll have to get Randy and Sammy some motorcycle outfits to wear when they ride with him, that is if he finds work in the area." Jacky was tired and snuggled into my arms and went to sleep.

It was two hours later when we heard the Harley coming slowly down our street. It coasted into the driveway. Randy and Sammy were looking out the window. "Dad, he is just sitting on the bike not moving. Must be he wasn't hired."

"I should have called instead of giving him a note for an introduction. Arlene, please go out and invite him in. You know there are several businesses he can apply to. Where I sent him isn't the only one in the area. We are just about ready to eat and I imagine he is hungry. I hope he likes hotdogs, mac and cheese."

"Oh he does. That is his favorite meal. Come on kids, go with me. I haven't seen my brother for so long, I almost don't know how to greet him and we were so close too."

I admit I was curious to see them meet so I watched from the same window where Sammy and Randy had been standing. Maybe I was a little jealous as well. I needn't have worried for they kissed, but it was on the cheek. I could see Arlene wiping happy tears from her eyes. Jimmy then turned to Sammy and greeted her with a handshake and shook Randy's hand again. The group turned and trooped into the house. Arlene walked with her hand in his.

They came in. Jimmy walked right to me with his hand out. "Hey man, that is some shop you sent me to. You didn't tell me it was full service. Greg tells me his clientele consists of mostly professional people."

"Is Greg going to take you on?"

"Absolutely. He had a mechanic leave a month ago and has been advertising for a replacement. He didn't just hire me. He interviewed me for over an hour. I told him I was a little rusty because I had been away from bikes for a few years. Then he asked me some technical details and said he would give me time to refresh what had been happening in the business.

"One other thing ... that note you gave me is what got me hired. He said you knew people and seldom were wrong about anyone. I'm going to prove you weren't wrong about me either. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Are you ready to eat? Arlene has made a casserole. I'll get the beer."

"Not for me, please. I don't drink alcohol anymore."

"I drink beer, but only as a food."

Randy wasn't dumb, just not wise in asking a question from our guest, but he was also curious. "Mr. Stein, what was it like being in prison?"

I shouted at him, "Randy, that's none of your business?"

"That's okay, Johnny. The boy should know and maybe it will keep him from future trouble and finding out about it some other way. First, son, call me Jimmy. I'd like that. I'll tell you it isn't fun being locked up. It wasn't too bad in one way for me. Not like it was for smaller men. I'm big enough so wasn't pushed around by other prisoners. I also had the reputation I gained that brought me there.

"But then, I was used to being my own man and that was taken away from me. Before if something bothered me, or I wanted to think, I mounted my bike and went for a ride. I lived in a room two thirds smaller than your bedroom for at least twenty hours in the day. Later when I was assigned to a work detail, I was still there more than half the day.

"You had no choice but to eat what they fed you and you were told when, where, and what, to do and little variation even in that. You were told anyway, which was a way for the guards to belittle you if they didn't like you or maybe if they were having a bad day at home. If you ever get the chance to visit a prison you can see this better than I can explain it. I did my time and got through it mostly by not fighting against the system."

Sammy spoke up, "Can you tell us why you went to prison?"

"I can. You might as well know. I don't consider myself a bad person, but then all prisoners will tell you they are innocent. Jack, Arlene's first husband was my best friend and he fell in love with Arlene. Arlene was cute and pretty and all the gang we rode with vied for her affection. There was one difference in that she was a good woman not like some of the other women in our gang.

"There were four guys who got drunk and cornered Arlene and Jack. They were going to make her into a bad woman over Jack's objection just like the rest of the women in the gang. I came onto the scene after the fight had started and Jack was getting the worst of it. One of the men was holding Arlene. I evened things up damned sudden.

"The end result is that I injured two of the guys pretty badly. One of the men was cousin to the local district attorney. The ensuing actions resulted in my drawing five years in the penitentiary.

"My so-called victims paid a bill too. One has a bad knee, now walking with a limp. The other man had a broken back. It has healed, but he is always in constant pain. The two who ran away were ostracized for not standing with their friends and have left the area.

"The last time I saw Arlene before today, I asked she and Jack to leave our home-town and never mention my name. I've paid my debt to society and now I am a free man. Of course there are certain things that have been taken away from me. I don't have the right to vote, I can't own a firearm and I have a record so I have to walk the straight and narrow for the rest of my life.

"It was with a lot of pleasure when I heard that my sister was getting married again. I didn't know she had a little boy, although I did hear that Jack was killed in an accident and sis was a widow. Just today I found that I have a nephew. So I'm glad to be here to meet the man and his family Arlene is to marry. I haven't had a home life for years. I first lost my mother and then both my father and stepmother, leaving only my sister to love me.

"I feel I am welcome here already and I will work hard to preserve the feeling. Wow, I do carry on don't I? Does that answer your question about being in prison, Randy?"

"Yes."

Arlene made the comment, "Jimmy you sound a lot more educated than I remember?"

"Sis, I had time to serve. One of the trustees in the library was having some trouble with a couple of other inmates. A fierce look and a word from me quelled their desire to hassle him. He was a former high school teacher and was appreciative of my efforts on his behalf.

"He paid me back by teaching and advising me on what to read. He was even able through a request to the prisoner commission to get me a repair manual on motorcycles. That is why I felt confident enough to apply at the bike shop Johnny sent me to."

"Being in prison wasn't a total waste of time was it?"

"No Johnny, but I didn't feel like a man for five long years. Then I ran into people when I got out who didn't believe I had paid my debt to society and closed most of the doors of opportunity in my face. I can well understand why men when released slide back into committing crime again."

"With your attitude I doubt you will."

"Thanks. It is people like you who can prevent that from happening. Hey, I think I have talked about me enough. Johnny, what is it that you do?"

I gave him my life story and Arlene filled in what her life had been like in the last few years. Jimmy then turned to Sammy and Randy. Although I would have been better pleased if Sammy hadn't aired my troubles with Kim that brought about our divorce, I did get some insight of how it had affected her and Randy. Again I was proud of the two for handling it as well as they have. Both then stated that they were happy now they were living with me and Arlene.

This big old house sat on an acre lot. There was an old barn that still had a good roof on it near the back line. Just as it was getting dark all of us toured the grounds. Jimmy was interested in the barn, wanting to know what it was used for.

"It's empty at present and not used at all."

He was silent for a few minutes, but we could see him thinking. Finally he said, "May I rent it from you? I need a place to live and there is room in the loft to sleep. I could build a kitchenette and a little sitting room up there too. The stable could be made into a repair shop for a motorcycle or car. I could putter around on something. I don't expect I'll be having much social life and I won't want to hang out in your home."

"Go ahead and fix it up. I'll give you the money to get started. Maybe Randy will want to hang around and learn something useful."

"Deal."

Later in bed Arlene and I talked. "You are treating my brother just as good as you always have treated me. I'm so proud of you. I'm proud of Jimmy too. He was a good man and still is. I know he can't be any different. I owe him for saving me and Jack years ago and you are paying off my debt. I love you so much!"

"No more than I love you." I couldn't have done more to gain Arlene's love then to accept her brother. A week from this Saturday, I was to be a married man again. I was looking forward to this marriage much more than I did my last one. I thought the last one was going to make me happy forever. It didn't, but I knew this one would.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.