The Songbird
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2014 by Texrep

Jack

The new designs were going very well and by the time I had finished my travelling in South Wales I was assured that I would get at least ten designs in the show. There were many manufacturers of quality upholstery in the London area, but only a few that were worth my calling on. Although I hated taking my car to the metropolis I had little choice as the number and weight of my samples was too much to carry by hand. Cate had told me that I could use her parking space in the basement of her block and had alerted Paul giving him my car registration number. I was relieved when having arrived at the barrier it lifted. I let the car drift down the slope and was confronted by a huge man who waved me to the right and then left indicating where I should park. As I got out of the car this man mountain held the door. "Mr. Weston?" He enquired.

"Yes. And you will be Paul?"

"Indeed Sir. Miss Lacey told me that you will be in and out every day. If you would park in this space whenever you return your car will be safe."

"Thank you, Paul"

"No problem, Sir." He took a few steps and waited by the boot. "Do you need help with your suitcase?"

"That's alright. over the years of travelling I have got used to packing and with being economic with my clothes. So it's a relatively small case." I got my case out of the boot and he led me to the lift.

"You need floor five and it's apartment 'B'."

"Thanks, Paul." The lift stopped at the ground floor and Paul exited. Just as the doors were closing he put his hand over the leading edge and the doors stopped.

"Umm." He coughed. "Miss Lacey is a very nice lady, Sir. I would be unhappy if she was messed around."

I wondered what his definition of 'unhappy' was and how it would be demonstrated. "Paul, Miss Lacey is a very nice lady and I also would be unhappy if she was messed around."

The grim visage softened and morphed into something that could be viewed as a smile. "I am glad we see things the same way, Sir." He withdrew his hand and the doors closed.

I pressed the button for floor five, noting that it was also the top floor. The lift rose quietly and smoothly betokening good service. It was little trouble to find apartment 'B'. There were just two apartments on floor five. The door to 'B' stood open and Cate was standing at the door with a great smile on her face. I dropped my case and took her into my arms, our lips met and stayed that way for some time. Eventually our lips were back in our own possession but only after a few encores, shorter than the first but nonetheless enjoyable. "After that greeting I don't know if I should feed you, Jack or take you straight to bed." Cate was happily smiling, as she led me into her apartment.

"Can I help in making that decision?" I asked.

"No I think not. Anyway I know what you would say. I'll do the wife thing welcoming her husband home after a hard day's work letting him kick off his shoes, loosen his tie and I'll make him a cup of tea."

"Ah the bliss of married life."

Cate giggled. "Not the married life I experienced."

"Nor me."

"Perhaps we could do..." Cate closed her mouth abruptly, embarrassed.

"Better? "I suggested. "It's ok. That's where my thoughts were going."

Cate was surprised. "You're joking."

"No. I love you, Cate. I have believed that I was in love before, now I know what real love is, so why should it be a surprise that my thoughts were of marriage."

"Is this a proposal?"

"No. Just regard it as a statement of intent that I intend to propose someday soon."

"How soon?"

"Ah! That would be telling. It would not be a surprise if I answered that question. Anyway it all depends on your tea-making expertise."

Cate came up to me and wrapped her arms around my back. "You're a bugger, Jack. But you're my bugger and I love you." She lifted her head and kissed me. "Now I shall go and practice making tea for my very demanding man." She let me go and made her way to the kitchen. She had nearly left the room when she turned, smiling. "And I hope you are going to be very demanding later on."

I could hear the rattle of the kettle and cups being prepared. Cate peered around the door and told me to put my bag in the bedroom. "Have a look around. Our bedroom is the first door down the passage and the bathroom is ensuite." The apartment was quite large and from its design and the shape of the windows I concluded it was built sometime in the twenties or early thirties. I didn't have to snoop as all the doors were open and I noticed three bedrooms, two with an ensuite bathroom and another, smaller bathroom at the end of the hallway. I suspected that it was designed when a single man or woman would have a manservant or maid. Cates' bedroom was not how I imagined. Most men would imagine a women's bedroom to be shades of pink, pale blue or any of the dusty colours, frilly decorations with knick-knacks crowding the table tops and shelves. Not so Cate. Her bedroom was almost Spartan. White predominated, walls, bed coverings, dresser and cupboards, all white almost institutional, apart from the cushions scattered on the bed, their colours of strong vibrant colours of red, blue, black and turquoise positively alive set against the dead of the white. Cate came in behind me. "I know the decor doesn't have much imagination. I have been telling myself for years that I should get something done about it, but I seem to be away somewhere all the time and I'm only reminded when I get back." She opened a drawer in the chest. "I've cleared this drawer for you and there is space in the wardrobe to hang your suits. The bathroom is through that door there." She pointed to the door in the corner of the bedroom. "Get settled and the tea will be ready for you." She brushed past me as she was leaving.

I grabbed her and pulled her to me. "Come here lovely lady." I encircled her with my arms.

She looked up at me her eyes twinkling. "Now I explained about my lady."

"I know. and I am going re-acquaint with her. I just wanted to hug and kiss you for now."

"That's always acceptable." She raised her lips to mine for a kiss. "Are you going to undress me now or after you have your tea?"

"How about we bring the tea in here and we'll undress each other?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.