The Songbird
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2014 by Texrep

Cate

Gradually over the next few weeks bookings came in and time became a precious commodity. Steve and his musicians were in demand for studio sessions, I was still getting bookings for Rock concerts and we had to get together to rehearse and refine our performance as Kat Lacey and the Stela Swing band. The visit I had promised Jack was put back time and again. He was golden about it. Constantly re-assuring me when I yet again phoned him to put off our few days together, that it was o.k. with him and that I had to make the most of the phenomenon while it lasted. That he was so understanding confirmed my opinion that here was the man I could build a good relationship with, although whether he viewed me in the same way after so many postponements was something else.

At long last I found a weekend when I would be free. It would be early September. I phoned Jack eagerly. "Jack, I am so sorry that I haven't been to see you, but it has been manic for weeks."

"I know Cate. I have been hearing tracks from your CD on the radio quite frequently. You have obviously struck a chord with the public. I am really pleased for you."

"It's all down to you, Jack. Who would have thought that an aging Rock Chick could find another career singing Swing. I didn't but you did. I really need to thank you properly. I've got a free weekend the first weekend in September, please tell me I can come up and see you?"

"I will argue the description 'aging' at another time. You said the first weekend in September?"

"Yes."

"Damn! I shall be in Belgium and Northern France for the week before that weekend, and I shall be flying to Turkey over the weekend to visit some mills there. There are lots of new designs for me to view and I can't miss out else I shall be too late for the Furniture Show."

"Are you holidaying in Turkey then?"

"No Cate. There are mills in Turkey starting to produce good stuff and I need to get in as their agent in the U.K."

My heart fell. My first reaction was that he had got fed up with waiting for me and this was merely an excuse. Then logic kicked in. This was Jack's job, this was how he made his living, even so I felt kicked in the stomach. Dejection must have been in my voice when I asked. "Jack. Have I messed it up?"

"Messed it up? No Cate. Look at the reality. We are both busy people. You have something happening that is good and you have to pursue it whilst it is happening. You more than I know how fickle the music industry is, if you missed this chance it will be a regret for years to come. When you have the time we will get together, it is just bad luck that that weekend I will not be here. Any other weekend I will be, and when you have to time to come you will be welcomed with open arms."

I felt a little better. I had got emotional and saw disaster, Jack just pointed out our situation, putting it into perspective. "Thanks, Jack. You are right of course, this could be a seven day wonder. I was so looking forward to the tranquillity of your home and just kicking back with you as a balm against the frantic life I seem to lead. If I go through my diary and clear another weekend in September may I come up to see you?"

"Of course you can, I would love to see you. But if you have that first weekend clear don't start filling your diary instead. You can come up anyway and spend some time here if you felt like it. I am really sorry that I won't be here, but you're welcome to my home anytime."

"You would allow me to stay in your home without you?" I was aghast.

"Yes of course."

"You're crazy. Can I leave my toothbrush in the holder?" I was joking actually but Jack was equal to the humour...

"By all means, but you need to leave some panties on the bed as well."

I giggled at that, then picked up. "Worn or clean?"

"Worn preferably, then at least I will be able fantasize about the woman who used my bed when unfortunately I wasn't in it."

"You needn't fantasize. She will be there with you very soon."

I was very tempted to go and Jack told me how to find the spare key, hidden in the flower bed if I decided that I would go. The idea of a weekend in his comfortable and peaceful home, away from the noise and bustle of London was very appealing. With that in mind I gave thought to hiring a car. I had learned to drive when I was twenty and my earnings were bringing me some independence. However, I never actually bought a car, it was easier and less hassle to fly to bookings or use the train. The promoters would always pay for taxis when I needed them. Having a car available when I was at Jack's made sense as it was quite remote. He faxed me a map having highlighted the route from the main road which would take me to his cottage. I felt much better after our conversation. His offer for me to borrow his home for a weekend was quite indicative of how he viewed me, and the comment about the panties actually produced some moisture in my nether regions. It would appear that he believed we were moving towards something good as I did. That gave me a really nice, warm feeling.

Jack

The offer for Cate to have the cottage for the weekend was a spur of the moment thing, yet having made it I was quite content. At any other time of the year I would have postponed my trip, but this was very important. The product I would be viewing, and the selection I made would be the deciding factor of my next year's income. If I could pick up some agencies from the Turkish Mills I would be in a good position for years to come. The comment about the panties was tongue in cheek, but Cates reaction to it told me that they would be there for me when I returned from Turkey. I had never had a fetish about panties but it would be significant to our relationship that something so intimate should grace my bed. I looked forward to the time when Kat graced my bed herself.

I was busy making the arrangements for my trip and was very pleased with the reception I got from the Mills I contacted in Turkey. They had a long established weaving industry and their designs had become more acceptable for the European market. The best selling factor was that in general their product was priced very competitively compared to the European producers. This was why I had to make these visits. I left little post-it notes around the cottage for Kat, telling her where switches were for equipment she may wish to use and encouraging her to use the cottage as if it were her own. Usually I was quite excited when I left for this trip, looking forward to the new designs and deciding how I would sell them and to whom I would sell them. However as I drove away from the cottage en-route to East Midlands airport I was down. If Cate did come up I would miss her.

Cate

My mind was made up. I was going. With that decision made I arranged to rent a car at Derby station and packed what I would need for the weekend. The choice was simple really, should Jack be there the choice would be given greater thought for greater impact. However one item did need consideration. I know that Jack had made that reference to panties in a humorous context, I intended to take the humour a little further and set up a signpost for hopefully a future. A quick trip to the West End and Agent Provocateur. A big hit on my credit card bought me a scrap of silk and lace which would have fitted into a small envelope. These panties were never intended for utility, nor were they intended to be worn for long.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.