The Songbird - Cover

The Songbird

Copyright© 2014 by Texrep

Chapter 4

Cate

It was good for me in Derby. The Thursday gig was a little down on numbers but Friday and Saturday made up for that. Saturday evening went really well and I sang my heart out. It could have been because Jack was in the audience, I don't know, but I really gave it everything. The audience responded; their clapping and shouting for more went on for a long time. I came off stage, happy, wet with perspiration and quivering with the excitement of the gig. It was almost like the old days. I took a much-needed shower and dressed in my usual jeans and a sweatshirt. The wig was packed carefully along with my stage clothes. The dress I had worn that evening would go for dry-cleaning and the whole lot would magically appear at the next venue, thanks to my assistant, Jacqui who had been with me for years. I intended to walk to the hotel, but the stage door manager shook his head. "Not a good idea, Miss Lacey. Best I get you a taxi." I understood why when travelling in the taxi. There were quite a few groups of young men along the way, carrying bottles of booze with them, shouting and yelling.

Back at the hotel, I went straight to my room, poured three fingers of Vodka, added Tonic and lay down on the bed. My mind turned to the morrow, I was looking forward to the day, a day of not being Kat Lacey, but being Caitlin Laine for a day with a rather nice guy, whose company I really enjoyed. I blushed as I remembered picking a small piece of fluff from his jacket. There wasn't any fluff there; it was just me telling Jack that I would like to get closer. I wondered if he caught the signal. I surprised myself when I did that, it just came unexpectedly. Afterwards I realized that I wanted to give Jack a signal. It didn't mean that I wanted to jump into bed with him, well not yet, it was more my saying let's keep this going, I like you and I think you like me, let's see where it goes.

As usual after a gig, it took me some time to wind down and finally sleep. I awoke at eight feeling refreshed. I phoned Room service for coffee and scrambled eggs then took a shower. Clothes for the day were easy and comfortable and I was dressed when breakfast arrived. I didn't bother with the full make up, just a little foundation and some lippy to emphasise my lips. The sun was shining but there seemed to be a little bit of a breeze so I got out a woollen wrap just in case. Nine fifty-five found me out in front of the hotel enjoying the fresh air and waiting for Jack certain that he would turn up on time. I was right, he was that sort of man, and he drove up on the dot of ten. I smiled and waited, knowing that he would want to come round and open the door for me. Bingo! He did just that. I brushed my lips on his cheek as I got in the car and we were off.

Jack

"You were fantastic, last night." I told Cate the moment we drove off.

"Thank you, Jack. I could feel a buzz when I came out on stage and that pushed me to give it everything I had. The group felt it as well and backed me brilliantly."

"The highlight for me was when you did the Diana Ross number 'Chain Reaction'. That was brilliant."

"I've always loved that song. My agent wanted me to cover that, but there were all sorts of copyright issues. The Bee Gees wrote it with Diana in mind so I suspect they would be upset as well. They knew I wanted to do it and Barry contacted me years ago saying that I could do it on stage, but not record it."

"That was nice of them." I replied drily. "What gob-smacked me was how you managed to sound like Diana as well. I know I said you had a good range, but I didn't think it extended that far."

"So I can add mimic to my C.V.?" replied Cate laughing. "I suppose I shall have to work on copying Dusty now to please you."

"No, Cate. You please me enough as it is." I said those words to mean musically, but there was another, unintended meaning. As I thought about it, I decided that I would let it stand and Cate could take it either way. My left hand was resting on the automatic selector, and Cate put her hand over mine, just for a moment. I understood how she had taken my comment and felt quite happy about it.

Cate

I heard Jack's words and I felt warmth inside me. Men don't show their emotions with little touches and signals as women do, and they are quite reticent about declaring feelings. His words, although capable of another interpretation told me that he understood the signal I sent him and he in his way was telling me that we should go on and find out where this would lead us. Whatever the day would bring, for me it was a good day already.

Jack

I took the A6 out of Derby and shortly after we passed through Belper we were in the Derwent Valley heading into the Peak District. The hills at first were soft and gentle. Agriculture had claimed much of them, but as we came nearer to Crich and Matlock Bath they took on their true nature, tall crags intersected by steep-sided valleys, the road becoming a switchback with frequent bends. Matlock Bath was interesting as it nestled into a gorge cut by the river. The cable cars taking tourists up to the heights swung in the breeze funnelled by the steep sides of the gorge. I asked Cate if she wanted to stop and look around.

"I don't think so, Jack. I have a hankering for wild moorland and vistas."

"Ok. We will have to turn round and go back to Cromford." I replied. I did so and retraced just a mile or so to Cromford, Passing Masson Mill on our left.

"That's impressive." Cate remarked.

"It was built by Richard Arkwright the man who developed volume production of cotton yarn." I turned right at the traffic lights and we entered Cromford village. "Look to the left." I told her. She did. "That's North Street, also built by Richard Arkwright, but for his workers."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.