His Name Is John - Cover

His Name Is John

 

Chapter 2

Walking around the perimeter of the house with pen and paper in hand, John was realizing that Donald had indeed overstated the number of things that needed repair.

Perhaps what his mother needed was a repair to her heart. In John’s mind, all this family needed was either a strong man at the center of it or a greater sense of self-esteem.

After coming back inside, John asked, “Is there anything around the house that could use my broad shoulders?”

“Me,” Kathleen said taking him in her arms hoping for a kiss.

“Kathleen, there is ... already someone in my life,” John said.

Breaking down a little, “I’m so sorry John. You listen so well. You are so articulate. I’ve been without a man for a long time. You ... you can leave if you need to. I don’t usually throw myself at someone, but you are so caring and attentive.”

“Kathleen, I will not leave. I have things to do for you, Donald and Emma. Consider this a minor miscommunication, that’s all.”


John found the tools in the garage to start the repairs he had to do. Donald came in and said, “My mother is crying. Did you cause that?”

“No, I didn’t. She is hurting, very deeply from being abandoned. I remind her of her better times. As much as I care for all of you, I am not the solution. Maybe she needs a new man in her life, but that cannot be me.”

“Why not?” the young man said, in a very belligerent tone.

“I have a deep love for my fellow man, but I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ more than anyone else. You have seen me pray, that is my way to tell him how I feel. Have you ever prayed, Donald?”

“Not in a long time. When my dad left, I prayed for him to come back, but he didn’t and I stopped praying. It didn’t seem to work for me.”

“You expected too much too soon,” John said giving him a light pat on the shoulder. “Why don’t you join me next time I pray?”

“I don’t know about that, John, it’s not cool to pray.”

“Cool, that’s an interesting adjective, Donald. It used to be awesome, neat, and terrific along with many other styles.”

“Maybe you could just kneel and listen to me?” John added.

“I thought people prayed silently,” Donald said.

“Not everyone. Many do, but I’ve been known to talk out loud just like I did at dinner.”

“Johnny, where is Johnny?” Emily was asking walking around in the hallway.

John walked out and found her. She reached for him, and he picked her up, “How old are you, Miss Emily?” he asked.

She put four fingers up, but couldn’t keep her thumb from showing so she grabbed it with her other hand and said, “Four years old.”

“I don’t remember ever being only four,” John said to her.

“It’s a lotta fun, John,” she said.

“It should be fun, as long as you are careful.”

“OK,” she said giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“Put me down John?”

“Say Please?”

“Please put me down?”

“Much better, did you know that please is a magic word?” he said.

“A magic word ... what kinda magic?”

“The best kind, words like ‘Please’ ‘Thank you’ and being real and sincere about whoever you are talking with.”

“What does ‘sin ... cere’ mean?” she asked him.

“Honest, always be honest and tell the truth ... always,” John said giving her a kiss on the top of the head.

Kathleen had heard most of this interaction between her four-year-old and this eloquent young man. How did he get so smart? She wondered to herself.


John went on to fix the few things that needed working on, showing Donald how along the way. They had lots of fun working together. When Emily walked in, they would stop and have some fun together. When she was tired, she asked her big brother to take her to her room. He would come back and the boys would get back to work.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.