The Girl Next Door - Cover

The Girl Next Door

Copyright© 2014 by The Heartbreak Kid

Chapter 3

"But it's our first school disco, Paulie ... you've got to go!" Penny Palmer was 12 and excited!

"You know I don't like that stuff, Pen ... what you mean is, you want to go, so I have to," Paul Jennings replied.

They had lived next door to each other for seven years now and were about as close as it was possible for two non-related people to get: although they were so emotionally attuned, that they acted more like twins than friends.

"Well ... yes ... but I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get there! Don't you want to go with me, Paulie..."

At what age do 'womanly wiles' kick in? As far as Paul was concerned, for Penny it was probably five ... the day they met; the day she first smiled at him and took his hand in hers. And from that day to this, he knew ... although not always consciously ... that there was that familiar facial expression that she had, that meant: Paulie, don't bother fighting it ... you know you're going to do what I want!' And he usually did ... And there it was...

"Okay! What time?" Penny squeezed his hand.

"It's 7:00 until 11:00: but Mum says I've got to leave by 10:00, at the latest. She's going to give us a lift there, but we'll get the bus home."


There had been similar events at their school before, but like everything else they went in and out of fashion; and during the last one ... over ten years ago now ... there had been trouble between boys from different schools, and as a result they were cancelled indefinitely. But now a new headteacher had been petitioned by the sixth form, who offered assur­ances that: (1) they would organise everything and act as stewards, to make sure that there was no inappropriate behaviour; and (2) admission would be by ticket and strictly for school members only. A £1.00 admission charge was considered acceptable, to help cover the cost of expenses ... some of which would be met by school funds.

At least Paul didn't have to dress up ... which he also disliked intensely. It was therefore a matter of a few minutes for him to get ready: simply taking clean clothes out of drawers. Penny, on the other hand, had spent hours going through her entire wardrobe ... then arguing with her mother about her choices! It had proved especially hard for her to find exactly the correct balance of 'carefully-casual' with 'not-too-little-girlish'. In truth, she was pretty and could have worn anything ... but apparently these things matter when you're an adolescent girl! As promised, Mrs Palmer dropped them off outside the school.

"Paul, you're sensible ... please make sure you're both leaving by ten o'clock. My daughter has this rare medical condition which makes her forget her promises sometimes..."

"Oh, Mum!" Penny exclaimed. Paul just smiled. She took his hand as they walked into the school. The two sixth-formers on the door looked at them, recognised them, took their tickets and stamped their hands with an ink marker. Once inside, Penny felt instantly right at home in the darkened school hall, with its moving coloured lights. Another older boy was up on the stage acting as the DJ. They headed for a table in the corner of the hall where there were refreshments. Penny was standing with Paul, but her eyes were busy scanning her surroundings.

"You don't have to hang around me all the time," Paul said, "Go and see your friends, dance ... whatever! But don't forget I promised your mum I'd take you home at 10:00." Penny smiled, kissed his cheek and then wandered off.

Paul Jennings was himself quite a handsome boy: tall, with brown, curly hair. And he was intelligent and popular, in his own quiet way. He had also always been quite reserved and introspective: but being Penny Palmer's friend meant that you were always part of a crowd and you got invited to things ... whether you really wanted to go or not. But although being made to do things by her was probably good for his personal development, he had now reached the age where he voiced his disinclinations to do everything that she did ... and sometimes she even listened.

He was also one of those people who could usually find something to do to amuse himself and he was therefore rarely bored. And although he was genuinely very fond of Penny, he was also glad that she was so popular: so that he did get the chance for his private time away from her sometimes.

Because he knew her so well ... better, he thought, than she knew him ... he knew that she was becoming increasingly interested in boys and the same influence that she exerted over him would soon be directed towards others of his gender. Penny never said it, of course, but he knew that that was why she was so keen to come that evening ... there would be lots of boys to flirt with. He didn't mean 'flirt' in a pejorative sense, either: it was just a natural extension of her rapidly developing social skills.

Paul could honestly say that, at age 12, he liked boys and girls company the same. But apart from Penny, he didn't really have any need for close friends; but in informal situations he could talk to both equally as well. He didn't even look to see where she was as he wandered slowly around the hall ... genuinely not really interested in anything there, until...

"Hello, Debbie! Are you on your own?"

"Hello, Paul ... yes ... I'm not really sure why I came ... my mum thought it was a good idea. She said if I hide myself away all the time, I'll never make new friends."

Paul liked Debbie Moorcroft: she was smart, but quiet like him. She was also quite plain, compared to Penny and her friends, and she knew it! However, Paul knew that she excelled in her element: which was the classroom, where she was always willing to sit and explain things to her less able classmates; but outside of that environment she didn't seem to have many friends and she wasn't a member of any of the cliques that hung around together.

"Yeah, it's not really my thing either ... but I live next door to Penny, so I came with her. Look, I don't really dance, Debbie, but I'll buy you a drink and I'm sure that you're much better company than most of these people."

She looked at him gratefully and smiled, then he offered her his hand ... one good thing that he had learned from Penny ... and they walked together to the refreshment table. With their soft drinks in hand, they found two empty chairs among the many that lined the hall.

"We've never talked much, Debbie, even though we've been in the same class for nearly two years. I know that you went to a different primary school though, because you weren't at mine and Penny's and quite a few of the other people in our year."

"No, and I think that's why I'm not as comfortable as you and the others. My mum and dad separated when I was ten. We lived in Luton and when I finished junior school she moved here to make a new start. I had more friends there, but it's been hard for her on her own, so I never told her I didn't want to move. But we're here, now, so I have to make the best of it."

"I don't know what I can suggest, Debbie: I know lots of people, so I just get included in things."

" ... And I know I'm not as pretty as the others and I'm a bit over­weight ... you probably don't think that's important; but you're good looking, all the girls think so ... but I don't like it! My mum says it's just adolescence. She says she was the same at my age and it usually changes as you get older." Paul smiled at her and it made her feel warm inside.

"Debbie, I can't do anything about what you look like, but if I'm in a group of people at school, come over and join me. You don't have to join in the conversations, or anything ... I don't most of the time ... but the others will get used to you and you won't find it so hard to mix then."

"You're very nice, Paul, I've always thought that! I'll try and do that in future."

"And I know I can't dance, Debbie, but I'll have a go at the slow ones, if you want to..."

"Okay! I'd like that!"

They had several slow dances, where he put his arms around her waist and she put hers around him and they talked as they shuffled round. And then, to both of their pleasures, another boy came over to ask her to dance. She looked at Paul and smiled as she went off with the boy. He waited until she returned. They had another dance and then Debbie danced with someone else again. At about 9:30 he was talking to Debbie when Penny came over to them.

" ... You know Penny, Debbie." The two girls exchanged greetings. "Are you having a good time, Pen?" Paul asked her.

"Mmm ... yes thanks! You?"

"Do you want to dance with me, Pen ... we have to go soon. How are you getting home, Debbie?"

"My mum's picking me up about ten ... are you two all right ... I'm sure my mum will give you a lift."

"No thanks, Debbie! We'll be all right," Paul said.

"Well, if I don't see you before you go, thanks, Paul, I had a really lovely evening!" She leaned in and kissed his cheek.

"Ready for that dance, Pen?" Paul led her into the centre of the room. "She's a nice girl, Pen ... we ought to include her more."


They left at ten o'clock, as promised, and Penny took Paul's hand as they started the familiar journey home.

"So, Paul Jennings, did you enjoy yourself after all?"

"I have to say I did, Pen ... it was very enjoyable!"

"Hmm! You're a bit of a dark horse, aren't you ... dancing and chatting up girls. Perhaps I need to keep a closer eye on you. If you're not careful, you'll be dating next!" He laughed.

"No ... I don't think so, Pen." In the dark, he didn't see her smile.


It was a Friday evening and Paul Jennings had been home from school for two hours: he had some homework to do, but it didn't need to be handed in until next week, so it wouldn't have to be done straight away. His next door neighbour and best friend, Penny Palmer, was coming over after she'd changed her clothes and had her tea. Within the last few months they had both celebrated their thirteenth birthdays.

He was sitting at his computer desk when she arrived ... they always knocked when they arrived at each other's rooms, but didn't need to wait to be invited in.

"Are you busy, Paulie?"

"No, not particularly. Why, did you want something?"

"Well ... you know I'm going to Beth Richmond's party tomorrow ... you didn't want to go, you meanie! Well, I want to practise kissing before I go, and I want to practise with you."

"But you've kissed me before, Pen ... on the mouth."

"I know ... but that's not proper 'making out' kissing..."

"But what's the difference?"

"That's what I mean! I know in theory what to do, but I don't really know what it feels like. Well, shall we try?"

"All right! Do we do it standing up, or lying down, or what?"

"Hmm ... standing first, till we get the idea ... then maybe lying down. But I think you've usually got to be quite serious about a boy to do it lying down, Paulie."

They stood facing each other in a clear space. They had seen people kissing, so Penny put her arms around his neck and Paul put his around her waist.

"You have to hold me closer, Paulie! Then we have to tilt our heads sideways a bit and you don't pucker your lips ... you leave your mouth slightly open..."

They brought their heads together until their lips were just barely touching. What happened next came naturally ... they found that they didn't need to think about what they were doing: it just seemed instinctive.

"Oh, Paulie!" Penny said when they finally separated, " ... That was lovely! Can we do it again?"

"All right! Did you get the feeling ... you know what I mean, Pen." She giggled.

"Mmm ... that was nice, too. They don't tell you about that in biology, do they! And what about the tongue thingy ... that was very odd at first, but you soon get used to it..." They held each other again and once more their soft mouths met. They kissed for a little longer that time.

"Shall we try it lying down now?" Paul said. They lay on the bed facing one another. It wasn't so easy to tilt their heads, so Paul lay flatter and Penny lay more across his chest, like she did when they just cuddled. After a while they stopped kissing but she stayed on his shoulder with her arm across his chest.

"I think we're getting quite good at it, Paulie. I wonder if you always get the same feelings, or just with people you really like ... but it makes you kind of want to do more, doesn't it ... you know, touching and stuff."

"Mmm. I suppose it's what people do before they have sex ... foreplay it's called ... it's gets you ready for all the other stuff." Penny giggled again.

"So how old do you think we have to be to practise that, Paulie?" He smiled.

"Oh, a few more years yet, Pen. But do you want to practise kissing some more now?"

"Mmm ... yes please!" she exclaimed, " ... And if you want to touch..."


It was during the lunchtime break at school when Penny Palmer came hurrying up to Paul Jennings. They had lived next door to each other since they were five and they had been each other's best friend for practically all that time. They were both now thirteen.

"Paulie! Guess what ... Kenny Watson has just asked me to go out with him!" she said, excitedly.

"That's nice! Where are you going?"

"Is that all you can say, Paulie ... this is my first real date with a boy!" He shrugged.

"You're very pretty, Pen ... it was going to happen sometime ... I'm just a bit surprised it's taken this long."

"Yeah, well thanks for that! I thought you'd be excited for me!" She walked off angrily.

It was very difficult for Paul to get excited about something that actually made him feel bad. It was true what he'd said: she was very pretty and he was surprised that Kenny Watson was the first one to ask what others had only thought. In fact, he knew several boys of his own age, and a few older ones, who'd asked him directly if he was going out with Penny, because they'd no doubt seen them holding hands and laughing and joking together; but they'd always been like that since they'd first met. He'd told them what he thought was the truth: he and Penny were old friends, but he had no claim on her in that way; and if they wanted to try their luck, then they should. And Kenny Watson obviously had.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.