Darsonus and Ree'al - Cover

Darsonus and Ree'al

Copyright© 2014 by novascriptus

Chapter 7

Ree'al counted to himself as he walked to the back door. When he reached one hundred he kicked in the door, or rather, he kicked in the door on his third try. A swordless man dressed in desert robes, was running at him, so Ree'al moved aside and the man ran past him and out the door. How strange, Ree'al thought. Then he too began to run, to run towards the sounds of fighting.

By the time Ree'al arrived at the front door, the fight was over. Darsonus was wiping his blades on a couch.

"I didn't hear any fighting from you," Dar said.

"I didn't fight," Ree'al laughed. "A desert snake slithered past me and out the door. You must have scared him. They really do run very well and I don't think he'll be back."

"What's the score now!" Darsonus was ebullient after the short fight.

"Ten snakes killed, and one running back to the desert," Ree'al thought for a moment. "Five guards dead."

"Shall we go upstairs and find the rest?"

"Let's. Be careful, we don't know how many women are upstairs." To that Darsonus just grinned. "Seriously, Dar," Ree'al continued. "Since Varnus abducted the Lady, we are justified in killing the guards and mercenaries. We may still be welcomed in this town. Don't kill someone by accident."

Varnus' wife was at the top of the stairs. Ree'al stepped back so that she might pass. She met his eye and asked, "My daughter."

"Safe in Dunmar."

"Thank you. Please don't kill him," She said as she glanced up the stairs.

"I can make no promises," Ree'al replied.

She nodded her head and was gone down the stairs and out the door.

Three people waited in a large parlor directly in front of the stairs. The furnishings were new and tasteful. Varnus was sitting on a chair behind the mercenary, who held a knife to Lady Apala's throat.

Ree'al gave a small bow to Varnus and Lady Apala. "Varnus, it's so good to see you again. My Lady, I had hoped to see you under better circumstances. Will someone introduce me to the tall man from the desert?"

"I am Clyman Oster, of the Kindred Clans."

"Thank you," Ree'al smiled. "A little civility improves life, doesn't it? I am Danjaris Ree'al da Jarnessa, but you can call me Ree'al." He waved his hand. "This large thing is my sword partner Darsonus."

"I hold the high ground here," Oster spoke. "If you attack me the lady will die. And don't feign indifference, I know she has meaning to you."

"You hold the high ground only if you don't care for your own life," Ree'al pursed his lips and nodded. "If you kill Lady Apala, nothing can stop me from killing you."

"So we are at an impasse. Shall we relax and make ourselves comfortable," Oster suggested.

"Of course," Ree'al plopped into a chair. "I have an interesting tale to tell before we begin negotiations. The moral of this tale is never trust a merchant."

"Lies, Oster, baseless lies, don't listen to him." Color began to return Varnus's face as he moved closer, ready to bargain.

"He's right," Ree'al nodded his head in agreement. "I tend to exaggerate, but purely for entertainment. So no story, just the facts. Varnus sold his daughter twice, once to you?" Oster nodded. Ree'al continued, "And once to a man in Dunmar named Agravus. Agravus paid a huge sum to this scum," Ree'al pointed at Varnus. "We were hired to guard the girl's escort party, which then abandoned us during the night so that you could kill us and take the girl. The money had already been paid by Agravus and can't be reclaimed."

"Why couldn't he reclaim the bride price?" Oster asked.

"I'm not from this land," Ree'al shrugged. "Much of what they do is illogical." This earned a look from Darsonus.

"Here is the deal I offer," Oster said lowering his knife. "I'll give you the Lady and kill the merchant. Then you will let me go on my way."

Varnus rose from his chair and moved behind it. His face was now a pasty white.

"I have a counter proposal for you," Ree'al said. "Give me the Lady and make Varnus repay you and give you the death price for your men. Darsonus and I will be happy to take care of Varnus."

"Shouldn't you pay me the death price? The two of you killed my men."

"I don't understand," Ree'al said. "Varnus set this up, it's his responsibility not mine. Are you saying that if I had been killed you would owe Darsonus the death price? No, it is Varnus' responsibility. Besides, unless the death price is a mere pittance, we wouldn't be able to pay."

"Who gets to kill Varnus," Oster asked making sure he understood the compact.

"Eventually, Darsonus or I will decide his fate."

"I accept. Is there peace between us now?" Oster asked.

"I swear it."

"And with you Darsonus?"

"I swear it."

"Lady, please forgive me for stooping to such heinous actions," Oster bowing to her. Then moving quickly to place his blade now at Varnus' throat, he asked, "Where is my 1150 gold?"

"I don't have much money," Varnus tried to lean away from the blade. "My last few ventures have not gone well."

"Maybe we should just kill him and take what we can find?" Darsonus offered.

"I propose removing one finger at a time until he remembers where his money is," Oster said with menace.

"Lady Apala should not have to hear or see such things," Ree'al said. "My Lady, let me take you downstairs. Dar, get us a thousand gold or items valued at twice that amount. Oh. And don't forget that Madam Varnus may know where the money is. Don't threaten her, it wouldn't be polite, but let her know her husband's body parts are in the balance. May I speak to you alone outside for just a moment?"

In the hall, Ree'al said, "Don't kill him even though he deserves it. Crush his hands. Years from now the pain in his hands will remind him of his betrayal. I have to say it so don't give me that look, don't let your guard down near Oster."

"There. That is exactly the look I asked you not to give me," Ree'al scolded Dar. "My Lady, let's remove ourselves downstairs for a while?"

"Thank you," she said taking hold of his arm with her hand. Please, I need a drink," she said. "And I will answer your question before you ask it. I wasn't violated in any way."

"Thank you," Ree'al said sincerely as the two walked down the stairs. "I was concerned for you."

"If I had been," the Lady held her head high. "Would I have been dishonored?"

"Of course not! It's not your fault. How could you be blamed?"

"Here, I would be shunned, more of an outcaste than I already. And I'm a hollow shell of what I once was already. None would meet my eyes had I been raped. Are peoples really so different around the world?"

"It appears to be true, but in general half are women the other half men," Ree'al laughed. "You do look beautiful tonight, even captivity can't dim your candle."

"You're acting courtly again, my prince. If didn't know better I would be suspicious."

"My apologies," Ree'al said, "Let me try again. You are beautiful. That is the truth and you make me feel like I am in court again. So I slip into old speech patterns without noticing. I'll say my thoughts more clearly," Ree'al continued whispering into her ear, "Do you want to go home and get naked?"

She gave him a haughty look, but then she giggled saying, "Yes my Lord, please lead the way. While we're walking you may continue to expound upon my charms."

The next morning was spent hiring men to tend to her house while the Lady would be away. Janella would stay and control the purse strings, augmented by a loan Ree'al had insisted upon giving to Lady Apala. "Why can't you take the loan," Ree'al had asked. "You have already paid me and I have done nothing. Either take back these swords or take the loan." In the end, Lady Apala took the loan.

Making one last trip though town to picking up warm clothing and some more supplies, Ree'al stopped at the smithy to bid farewell to the Sword Master. Tarsus was gone, replaced by a blacksmith.

"What are you doing here?" Ree'al asked him.

"I'm fixing a wheel, as any idiot could see," the man replied.

"Where is the Sword Master?"

"I don't know. I don't care," the man said as he put down his tools. "He left, I came. Now go away, I have work to do."

Ree'al stood still trying to make sense out of what was said.

"I said 'go away', little man."

"Don't push your luck, smith. My swords don't need repair."

The smith bit back a response and went back to his task. Ree'al walked back to Lady Apala's compound.

"Did you know that the Sword Master left?" Ree'al asked her.

"Yes. Weeks ago."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why didn't you ask?" She finished stuffing a last bit of clothing into her pack.

"I would've liked to thank him," Ree'al said to no one in particular.

"Well, you can't. Are you ready to go?"

"Yes," Ree'al said as he took her pack.

"I'll carry my own pack," she said staring at him with disapproval.

"No, you won't. You are a Lady, and others will carry your pack for you. I've been walking for weeks. I'll hardly notice the extra weight."


Darsonus was waiting outside with a comely lass, no older than 15 or 16. Even in traveling clothes she looked like so many of Darsonus' women. She was full figured, voluptuous he would say. She was blonde and without a hat she would be sun burned in a matter of hours. "My Lady," he said. "this is Nadine, she wants to go with us. Nadine this is the Lady Apala da Marsia and next to her is my sword partner, Ree'al."

"Not unexpected, is it?" Lady Apala asked Ree'al.

"Not at all."

The foursome left near noon, heading up the East Road towards the mountains and highlands. Walking half a day for the first day would ease Lady Apala and Nadine into the routine of travel. A short day and a long night would make the next few days much easier on the two women.

Ree'al would not let Lady Apala work. "You have forgotten how to be a Lady. Treating the servants with kindness is proper for a Lady, but working beside them is not."

"And yet you work with them though you are a Prince," she replied.

"Not a Ree'al Prince anymore, I threw that away. No, wait, I take that back. I am a Prince and as such, I order you to work no more."

"Am I just your sex slave?" she asked.

"I wouldn't say 'just'. You're very good at it." He dodged her swing effortlessly. "My Lady," he said seriously. "you will be going back to Aquintali. Your guards will go with you. Practice now how you wish to be treated when you return. If they are in the habit of treating you like a Lady, they will continue when you return. They already like you. You give them a purpose they have not had for a long time. The town's people will treat you appropriately. Your guards will see to it."

"So you won't be returning with me?"

"No, my Lady. You deserve better than me, but you'll always be in my thoughts."

"Some day you need to heal yourself, my prince."

Ree'al made no reply.

Ree'al practiced each morning and each evening, sometimes with Darsonus joining him. Often Lady Apala watched Ree'al, amazed at the power that seemed to flow from the smaller man, while Nadine watched Darsonus and daydreamed.

"Ree'al, may I see your ginja?" Lady Apala asked him one morning.

"Certainly, my Lady," he said handing her the blade. "Take care – it is sharp."

"It's so heavy," she said hefting the blade. "How do you swing it so effortlessly?"

"Practice and more practice."

She held the blade up in the early morning light, then let it fall until the tip of the blade hit the ground. Ree'al clinched his teeth but said nothing.

"Ree'al?" she asked. "I never noticed this script in the handle, have you?"

"What? Where?"

"Here, where the honor mark was." She turned the sword over, "It's on this side too."

"Let me see. No! Hold still, I'll take it from you." Once he managed to regain control of the sword without losing any fingers, Ree'al looked carefully at the grip. There was a faint script on the metal where honor marks should be.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.