John and Jo - Cover

John and Jo

Copyright© 2014 by The Heartbreak Kid

Chapter 14

John had rented a cottage in Aughrim, County Wicklow, and Tommy McGrealey had booked three weeks holiday from work, beginning July 4th: which meant that they could leave on the 2nd. John had chosen Aughrim, because it was only a few miles from the little village where Tommy was born and had lived until he left for England, and where he still had family.

Jo and John had driven up to Julie's on Friday. Her family had been invited to go with them, but Pete couldn't take three weeks off work at that time and Julie wasn't going to go without him! It was only thirteen miles from Stockport to Salford, then about thirty miles from there to Liverpool, where they would catch the car ferry to Dublin. Once they arrived in Ireland, it was about another forty-five miles to the cottage. The ferry was scheduled to depart at 09:30, so John planned to leave Salford at seven o'clock. Tommy and Bridie were waiting, so the cases were loaded, and with Jo, Bridie and Finn in the back and Tommy in the front, they set off.

It was the first time in over twenty-five years that Tommy and Bridie had made the trip: the ferry had changed dramatically in that time. In order to look after Finn, Jo and John decided to let the other two eat in the restaurant first; then they could eat afterwards, while Jo's parents minded the dog. Finn was naturally curious and often stuck his head through a gap to look at the sea, but he was otherwise good; despite having to be on a lead for the whole voyage. In the late afternoon and on schedule, the ferry docked in the Port of Dublin.

The last time that John had been in Ireland was ten years previously and he had flown in then, so he had never experienced the sea crossing or the busy port atmosphere. Jo was glad to see her father so happy, as he looked eagerly around and breathed in the air. They were soon disembarked and heading by the shortest route south out of the city. They weren't in the city centre long, but Tommy said that life seemed to have speeded up, and he was not entirely sure that he approved of all the changes that he saw in his home country's capital. But the further south they got, the better he felt. By the time they got to their accommodation in Aughrim it was early evening and everyone was tired, so after they had eaten a simple supper they retired to their beds.

John and Jo weren't up that late the next morning, but by the time they surfaced, Tommy and Bridie had been up several hours and they were sitting outside the cottage drinking tea, while Finn happily explored his temporary home. While John made more tea, Jo squeezed in between her parents.

"Happy, Pa?" she asked him.

"I couldn't be happier, Darlin'! I'd forgotten what it was like to breathe clean, early morning mountain air!"

Unlike her husband, who had left Ireland voluntarily, in search of a better, more secure life, Bridie's forebears had joined the diaspora away from Ireland during the potato famine of the mid-1900's. But whereas some stayed in Liverpool, waiting for the ships that would take them to North America and Australia, the O'Keefe family made the short journey east and eventually settled in what is now the urban conurbation of Greater Manchester.

"You've never talked about your family much, Pa," Jo said, "who's still here, and are you going to look them up while you're nearby?"

" ... Well, I've got me three brothers ... and did you know you've got a granddaddy still alive!" Tommy said, "Me father's in his eighties now: me mammy passed away fifteen years since. Your uncles and I have kept in touch ... your mam made sure of that. There was a bit of ill-feeling when I left; but at the end of the day they're still me family!" Jo had never known her father to be so effusive!

"Do they know you're coming?" Jo said.

"Oh, aye!" Bridie replied, "Ever since your John mentioned it, we've probably exchanged more letters than the whole time since your father's been in England!"

"Shall we go today!" Jo said excitedly, "We only planned to relax, anyway!"

"Is someone talking about me again!" John said cheerily, carrying the tea out on a tray.

"We were just talking about our dad's family, Love. It's seems there's a grandfather and uncles I never knew I had ... and no doubt aunts and cousins, too!" Jo said, "Can we go over today?"

"Of course! Just tell me when you want to go!"

Tommy's eldest brother, Kenny, and his family lived in the farmhouse with his father. Like Tommy, Kenny's children were now adults with families of their own, but whenever they were needed on the farm they would return to help out in whatever way they could. Tommy's other brothers, Joseph and Michael, were Kenny's partners and made up the rest of the full-time work force. They both lived in houses in the village with their families. Michael's son and daughter-in-law were now the owners of the biggest pub; one of Joseph's daughter's taught in the village school and another of Jo's cousins ran the general store.

John drove cautiously along the narrow country roads leading to the farm and he was glad to leave them when they reached the farm entrance. He saw a place where other vehicles were parked and pulled in beside them, then the party of five made their way towards the house. A dog came running up to them and stood nose to nose with Finn. A figure appeared from one of the farm buildings and walked towards them and he and Tommy shook hands, then clasped each other by the shoulder.

"Kenny, you know Bridie, but this is my daughter, Jo, and her husband, John!"

Unperturbed by her uncle's working clothes, Jo hugged him and kissed his cheek. John shook his hand.

"Will you come into the house!" Kenny exclaimed.

Tommy walked beside his brother, while the others followed behind the two broad-shouldered men. Willie McGrealey was sitting in an armchair in the kitchen, but when the others entered he rose to meet them. Although weatherworn, his appearance belied his age, as he moved easily towards them. A good foot shorter than his son, he and Tommy embraced and kissed. Once again Tommy did the introductions: Bridie also embraced and kissed her father-in-law, as did Jo.

"Hello, Grandfather!" she said, "I'm so glad to meet you!"

John shook his hand with a 'How do you do, Sir!'

Kenny's wife, Kathleen, emerged from the shadows, to be greeted by all the guests.

"Will you be staying for dinner!" she asked, rhetorically, "Sure, and there's plenty to go around!"

They all sat around in the large farmhouse kitchen, except Kenny who excused himself to go back to work. Tommy sat close to his father, talking. Bridie, Jo and John were largely peripheral figures, but every now and then Willie McGrealey would address a question to them. At one o'clock Kathleen began to lay the table. Bridie seemed to know instinctively what to do to help her. Jo remained seated with John: sensing that there was nothing that she could do to contribute. A little while after the table was set, three men, similarly dressed in overalls, but in stocking-feet, entered the kitchen from another door. Tommy rose to greet his other brothers; followed as before by Bridie, then Jo and John.

Jo was struck by how similar all four brothers were: particularly Michael and her father; but on a dark night all of them could easily be mistaken for one another. The visitors allowed the brothers to take their places at the table; although a place was left next to Willie for Tommy.

Kathleen carried several large tureens of food to the table: they had left a space for her next to Bridie. No wonder they're all so big! Jo thought, ... The size of the meals they eat!

When the food was gone, Kathleen, Bridie and Jo cleared the table, then they all sat around it drinking tea, before the men returned to work in the afternoon. The rest of the day continued much as the morning had done. They were all invited to stay for the evening meal; but even Tommy was no longer used to eating such quantities. But before they left, they arranged to meet later that evening in Michael's son's pub. Willie rarely left the farm now, so Tommy promised to return soon to see him again.

On the way back to the cottage, Tommy sat close to Bridie in the back of the car, with the dog. They had always shared a kind of private, unspoken intimacy, but this was the most affectionate that Jo had ever known her parents to be with each other. Back at the cottage they had time to wash and change before they went out again. Finn was settled in the kitchen and they drove back the way that they had been earlier.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.