Oasys -The Begining - Cover

Oasys -The Begining

Copyright© 2014 by Mars at Night

Chapter 2

Marz

Not for the first time Marz wondered "How does someone who completed with honours a degree in Political Science, a degree in Computer Science and a PhD in Sociology end up doing IT research for a news reader who always misquotes the information provided."

Marz had just exited the news station legal office after another misquote from his least favourite news reader.

"How in the hell can it be my fault," he grumbled, "if the stupid woman won't read the information as provided?"

Pulling out his phone he called Jess

"I am not looking forward to this," he said.

Within two rings a bouncy energetic young voice answered "Jess here! You're on suspension again, huh, Marz?"

"How do you do that?" Marz replied "You haven't bugged my phone again have you... ? We talked abou..."

"Stop it, Marz," laughed Jess "Your number's on caller ID, silly. And you never call me during the day, unless there's trouble. I am a certified genius, you know and can work stuff out."

"Sorry, Jess," Marz replied "This is the second time this month and its worse than last time."

"Look on the bright side brother," Jess quipped with a smile in her voice "You get to spend more time with me, a bona fide, one of a kind, famous in my own lounge, and in the halls of academia, of course, youngest PHD student ever."

"You have a right to be excited, Jess," Marz replied "I am so proud of you I can hardly swallow when I think about it."

"Brother, do you know how much I love you," she said gently. "There's only one thing that would make it perfect."

"We have two months, Jess, You lend your prodigious brain power to help me sift through this data I have on Jak, and I'll help you find BJ. Deal?" he questioned.

"You mean that, Marz?" she squealed. "I never wanted to come right out and ask you because I know you get angry when I talk about him."

"Yes, I mean it. I have to admit I will never understand how BJ just ... look don't worry about me and my hormones," he joked "BJ is gonna shit bricks of pure pride when he finds out what his little girl has gone and done."

"Oh, Marz! Thank you, thank you, thank you," she sniffed. "I don't know what to say. You really, really are one of the good ones, you know."

"Yeah, well that's not what the news channel lawyers just told me, Jess. I think it's pretty serious this time," he said thinking of how the news reader had somehow made it all his fault in the lawyers office.

"Love you, genius girl. I'll see you in thirty."

"Bye, Marz, love you." and the line was disconnected.

Marz stood quietly and thought about his current predicament for a few minutes before dialling again.

"Miles Jackson's office," a female voice answered.

"Hi, Mary. It's Marz," he said to the familiar voice.

"Hi, Marz, I heard she screwed you over, again. What are you going to do?" Mary asked.

Ignoring her question he asked "Is the boss in, Mary? I need to talk to him."

"Putting you through, Marz. Good Luck!"

"Jackson!" growled a deep gruff voice.

"Mister Jackson, it's Marz Yelgis, here. I decided I can no longer work for your news channel and I am resigning."

"Not surprised, Yelgis," Miles calmly stated. "Been wondering when you were going to smell the roses and stop letting that bitch walk all over you."

"You've been expecting it?" Marz spluttered.

"Look, Yelgis. You don't belong here being a dog's body and go-fer," Mile explained. "You're a smart kid who needs to get on with your life. Especially now, with the city paying the University fees for your super smart kid sister.

I'll get payroll to make up your salary. Now go do what politically qualified Doctors of Social Science do, for god's sake, and make yourself happy."

Marz was quiet for a few seconds trying to think of something to say.

"Now ... I'm busy. Good luck, Yelgis." and the line went dead.

Marz looked at the beeping, disconnected phone for a few seconds as he made his way to the public transport terminal.

'What The Fuck?' he thought to himself. 'Does everybody know what I should be doing except me.'

On opening the door to his apartment an excited female squeal caused Marz to glance upwards just in time to catch a five foot six, ' one hundred thirty-five pound, flame red haired, sixteen year old torpedo, as she launched herself into his arms.

Wrapping her arms around his neck she leaned forward almost nose to nose exclaiming. "You quit, and I get to spend the next two months with my favourite brother, searching for my brother's brother and finding my Dad? Tell me I'm right! Go on tell me!"

Staring into her intense green eyes, sparkling with mischief, Marz asked quietly, "Yep, genius girl. Are you SURE you haven't bugged me?"

Untangling herself Jess stood in front on him, and punched the air.

"Yessss!" she cried. "God, I am proud of you, brother. You've been wasting yourself, there, and I know it's been because of me."

Giving him an affectionate push to his chest once the second half of his answer registered.

"You are such and easy read, you know. And any case I was a kid then and I only hacked you twice." with an indignant pout she continued, "You, at least, provided a challenge."

Marz sniffed and caught the aroma of food.

"Come on, let's eat. Then we can make some plans."

Sitting there eating with Jess, listening to her chatter excitedly about him, BJ, her friends and the information pack sent to her by the University, he realised how much he was going to miss her.

And she was right, he'd put his life on hold so he could make sure she had a place to call home. In two months he would be back on his own and he realised he needed to get his own life back on track.

The past six years had wrought such changes to Jess, who would always be her father's daughter, in spite of his abandonment; and also to Marz, who was devastated by the disappearance of his older brother.

Jess had cried herself to sleep for nearly all of that first year until Marz had promised that they would one day find BJ.

Tonight they sat together working out a plan. Jess was better at analysis and Marz was better at research. Truth be told, Jess was better at everything but at least Marz had current experience.

So tomorrow Jess would work with the data Marz had gleaned on Jak and Marz would begin the research to find BJ.

Secretly, Marz felt that if Jess couldn't find BJ then he doubted he could turn up anything that would make a difference, he leaned forward kissed Jess on the cheek and through a muffled yawn she heard him say "night sweetie" and he headed for his bed

Marz was aware of a constriction in his chest and when he tried to move he couldn't.

'What is that noise?' he thought.

"Wake up, Marz! Come on, sleepy head. I've got some news for you!" Jess said from her perch on top of his chest.

Marz cracked his eyes open a little, and squinted at Jess.

"What gives, genius girl?"

"Marz, I found Jak! Or, at least, I found the last place he was seen. And I found out what he was doing at those auctions," she said excitedly."Wanna go exploring?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.