Another Chance - Cover

Another Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 91

The Navy is a fairly small family. The Captain had taken over command of the Bonnie Dick at the end of July. Before that, he was shore based.

Jacksonville NAS.

When we were there.

We met in his sea cabin, just off the bridge. The Captains sea cabin is a room where the Captain goes to rest when he doesn't want to go to his quarters. It's a place where he can be reached quickly ... in case of trouble ... or disaster.

I had to duck going through the hatch, Grace had to climb over. The sea cabin isn't very big and we filled it up quickly. Sergeant Ortega, Ensign Hanks, Lieutenant Commander me, Lieutenant Commander sister, the Exec, the Air boss, the Flight-deck boss, the cat boss, the Flight Surgeon, the Captain and Seaman Black. Seaman Black was already there.

The Captain said, "Ah ... I know about you two," he nailed us with a gimlet eye. "Trouble comes in threes." He nodded at Black. "The base commander sent Black to me ... evidently the Navy Recruiter lied. But maybe not. Personnel are assigned for the benefit of the Service if the candidate is found unsuitable ... that's not the right word ... judged physically or mentally unable to perform in the promised field. Seaman Black can fly," here he glared at Grace. "Against all odds, Black was allowed behind the controls of a serving Naval Attack Bomber and performed admirably. She is here to take the medical. Commander Grace, would you be so kind to act as escort and witness to that examination?"

"Yes, Sir," said Grace.

Grace, Black, a Flight Nurse waiting in the corridor and the Flight Surgeon, repaired to the Surgeons office where he performed a thorough flight physical.

"Seaman Black, you are fit as a fiddle and I'm recommending that you be assigned to Aviation Officer Candidate School (AOCS) at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida. I see by your jacket you have not neglected your education. Two years correspondence school in Engineering with perfect scores will make you eligible for O-1 upon successful completion of the course. Seaman Black ... the Navy is a hide bound institution and they don't want women in a combat role. Be prepared for a great deal of prejudice." He turned to Grace, "I see by your Records you are due and past for your medical. Stick around Black ... you can witness. Strip Grace."

When it was over, he said, "You're in great shape if too damn short to be a pilot. I understand you have special shoes."

"Couldn't reach the pedals without them, Sir."

Seaman Black's eyes narrowed and then got big and her face turned white, "Yyyou m-mean," she stammered, "If I'd had trouble when I flew with you ... you couldn't ... oh, dear."

"Nope ... If you had known?"

"I wouldn't have tried ... you trusted me with a seven hundred thousand dollar aircraft ... oh dear god."

"Don't be getting into what ifs, Black. We had parachutes."

"But your plane..."

"We have four more."

"The cost..."

"We got 'em free," Grace said, "You did fine." She turned to the doc, "Too short? What's that mean for me?"

"I don't know ... there are always exceptions. Have you been growing?"

Grace hefted her boobs and said, "Just these ... and my hips and butt, Why?"

"Your Field Jacket has you at 5 foot zero ... today you are five one. Five feet two inches is minimum according to regs and I'd be happy with your increased assets if I were you... 103 pounds is minimum weight and without that extra you would weigh about 90 pounds. How thick are your shoes?"

"Three inches."

The One MC shrilled with the Bosuns' Pipe. "Attention on Deck. Attention on Deck. Would the crew member who removed the case of hand grenades from the aft munitions locker please return them. Would the crew member who removed the case of hand grenades from the aft munitions locker please return them. That is All. That is All." The pipe blew again. "Carry on."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.