Another Chance - Cover

Another Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 81

Time.

There's not a lot you can do with time. Grace laid out ... I practiced ignoring her. It seems that never works. The harder I tried the harder I got until I'd run to the side and abuse the hell out of my interest ... and there was no possible denial ... I was interested. Grace was too.

Several ... ok, ok, ok ... a great many ... all right!! EVERY night, sometime in the night, I would wake up slowly ... a small hand grasping ... you know where ... and the only way she would let go is when I came. And she would softly giggle and deny it in the morning.

"Grace, de nile is a river in Africa."

"I don't know what you mean."

"It's geography, Grace. You have a firm grasp of my geography. It doesn't do you any favors to deny it. How would you like it if I played with yours?"

"My what?"

"Geography. To explore the highest peaks or spelunk the deepest caves, or trace the aural valley with a wet tongue. Maybe find the ticklish spots on your continent or the places that set the tsunamis running up the rivers of your mind."

"I might like that ... I'm sure I would ... if you weren't my brother."

"I think I should sleep in my stateroom."

"Cruel ... cruel ... I don't sleep well without my pillow."

"I don't sleep well with yours."

The trip from Port Weller the length of the lake to the head of the Saint Lawrence was pretty boring. We were still in a hurry. The confiscated yacht was having a time keeping up. Sail isn't faster ... there were a few times when they forged ahead but the continual smash and bounce was hard on the boat ... and expensive. We always passed them up while they were fueling. Our first "interesting development" was the Williamsburg canals. A series of four smallish roundabouts that bypassed some fairly nasty rapids. Farther down stream the Soulanges Canal all 14 miles worth, bypassed the Long Sault.

Since the U.S.S. Yantic, a Federal gunboat, with a length of 179 feet, a beam of 30 and a draft of 13 feet 9 inches was sailed and steamed UP the Saint Lawrence from New York to Detroit through the old canals, I assumed that the K5 shouldn't have any problem going DOWN.

We didn't.

We lost our escort at the confluence of the Ottawa and Saint Lawrence. They were off to the Capitol and fame and glory. The confiscated boat was brand new and cost 2 million dollars to build, buy and decorate. The heroin in the sea chests was worth another five million on the street. One would think stupidity ran rampant in that family. The eldest son tried to bond the boat out of custody. The Customs people took his car, his hashish and his person.

The most interesting canal was a manmade waterway through the byways and highways of Montreal. The Lachine Canal, all eight miles was built to bypass a hazardous set of rapids ... the Lachine Rapids. After that ... Quebec and the Atlantic.

I realize that I've bypassed lots ... Grace liked to dance ... I got to practice my Special Forces slash Seal Training a bunch. Grace started taking movies with a purse camera just to prove to the cop on the beat that I never started a thing but I did finish it. But we were out of the Saint Lawrence by the 29th of June and in Jacksonville 10 days later.

Jacksonville was another interesting place. You do know the Chinese Curse? "May you live in interesting times?" You know that? Interesting means in times of change.

Jacksonville was in 'transition'. Another word for change; transition. Interesting.

"Jax NAS, K5 Jax NAS, K5"

"K5, Jax NAS."

"Jax NAS, K5. K5 is a recreational sailing vessel currently in transit from Selfridge AFB en route Berkeley California. Lieutenant Commander G.A. Austin USNR, and D.J. Austin Lt. Cdr. USNR, owners and crew. We have sealed orders from General H. Bleeker CSAB, countersigned Admiral J. Crossman, to present ourselves and the K5 to Commander, Armaments Jax NAS. Where do you want us?"

K5, Jax. Wait one."

"K5. Waiting."

Waiting.

Waiting.

And more waiting.

"K5, Jax."

"Jax, K5."

"K5. Continue St. Johns River past Piney Point. Tie up at long pier before seaplane ramps."

"Jax, K5. Continue St. Johns River past Piney Point. Tie up at long pier before seaplane ramps."

We sailed into the St. Johns River and continued past Mayport Naval Air, where there were a couple of carriers in the basin.

"CVA 36, that's the Antietam and her bridge is blocking the inner ship," Grace said.

"You're so smart," I said.

"Was that sarcasm I heard?" That was said in her 'I have a day in Rank on you and I'm never going to let you forget it, ' voice.

"Would I do that to you? Sir?" I always called her Sir ... and never Ma'am. Ma'am is not a proper response for a superior officer. No matter WHAT the mucky mucks say.

When in military company I always call her Commander. At home she's Grace or Little Sis. I mean, we're not really in the Navy ... not really. But until someone gets mad about it ... we are.

Think about it ... a Madam ... which is Ma'am with an added D ... is a whorehouse operator. Regardless of any other connotations. Dame is the correct name for a knighted female ... and I'll be dammed if I'll call Grace maDOM ... no matter what kinky proclivities she may or may not have.

"Yes, Commander. You would."

"One of us needs to be dressed, Grace."

I picked up the mike and depressed the send button.

"Jax, K5."

"K5, Jax."

"What's the uniform of the day, Jax?"

"Whites, K5."

"Tropical whites?"

"You have those?"

"We do, Jax."

"I'll check, sir. Wait one."

"Yes, sir. Tropical Whites will satisfy the letter of the reg."

"Thank you, Jax. K5, out"

"No problem, K5. Jax, out."

Grace had had her shorts tailored and they FIT ... not baggy like normal ... and she looked HOT in her whites. That completely unruly deep red hair and blue eyes were distinctive and distracting. She fit her blouse, too. Nice. She changed while I conned the boat. She looked spiff when she took over.

I changed. I came out on deck as we sailed past the field. Grace pointed.

Oh Glory be! Skyraiders! Single seat AD-6's. 3600 hp... 900 extra horses!

Around Piney Point and the long pier. I furled the sails and started the diesel as we rounded the Point, Grace hung the fenders on the starboard side and I backed us in. There were a couple of sailors on the dock but Grace did the honors herself. The K5 is a big boat for a small craft. We weren't tied up but a couple of seconds when the Marines showed up ... and they had NO idea who we were.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.