Another Chance - Cover

Another Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 59

"Well?"

"I hope I never see another bicycle again!" Grace said, as she mounted up.

"I know what you mean," and got on mine.

The door of the Rathskeller swung open and Piper came sailing out, "Your cat."

"Thanks."

"She's been bumming beer," the bartender said. "Does she do that often?"

"First time she's ever been around it ... Piper?"

Unka Harry at the Antler.

"Sorry, our uncle must have thought he was being funny, we won't bring her back."

"Good idea ... since you're not getting in either." The door swung shut.

"Damn ... best pizza in town," I commented.

A very tall, thin black guy with HUGE legs rode by on a very tall bike with monster knobby tires and yelled, "You haven't been to Karl Marx, They have the best pizza, calzones, and meatballs in the state!"

"What kind of bike is that?"

He grabbed hand brakes and squalled to a stop. He pedaled back. "I dunno what you call it. I use it to ride on the beach."

"You didn't get legs like those riding on a beach," Grace said.

He blushed and turned maroon, "I take it on hiking trails too. Hey, nice ride. French?"

Grace nodded and grinned. She dinged her little finger bell.

"Oh, that's cute. Italian gear set and cranks?"

"Campagnolo," she admitted.

"It's not something you could ride in the woods," he said.

"Where would I get something like that? With knobby tires?" I asked.

"You can't. I built it."

"Build me one?"

"Me too," said Grace.

"Well, now. I'd have to charge you ... oh ... ten dollars for a donor bike unless you can find one in the paper or on the bulletin board at the union ... at the library or the Kroger."

"What's your name?" Grace asked.

"My real one or what folks call me?"

"Make it easy on yourself," I said.

"Super Fly or Arnie ... Arnold Strong. And you are?"

"She's Grace, I'm David. The Austin Twins. Wanna talk about it, Mr. Strong?"

"Whoa, nobody ever called me Mister before. Arnold is fine."

We started pedaling, "You coming?"

"Where?"

"Our pad, rooms, flop, can't call it a house because it's not ... it's where we live," I said.

"In case you hadn't noticed, I'm black. Your parents might not like you bring a Negro home."

"We don't live with our parents. We're sorta students at UofM."

"Me too, engineering," Arnold said. "You two in high school?" UofM has its own high school for the children of faculty and staff. Day Care writ large.

It was Grace's turn to blush, "No ... we're masters degree candidates, and instructors in Math Engineering."

"You two are either bullshitting me or setting me up," Arnold said.

"Neither... 'An important part of your college education is the chance to experience multicultural diversity. At the University of Michigan you have the opportunity to meet peoples from all over the world. Make friends, be ambassadors of goodwill, your Nation will thank you for it.' Straight out of the handbook. Meet new people ... you're new people," Grave explained.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.