Another Chance - Cover

Another Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 44

Wherein David and Grace participate in the Across and Back.

The Rules

The Across and Back is an Annual sailboat Race consisting of many classes of boats from many different ports. The Classes are governed by length overall, including bowsprit, and limited to boats over 25 feet. Wisconsin sailors race to Michigan and back and Michigan sailors race from Michigan and back. Minimum distance: 63 miles one way.

Requirements of the Committee of 1955:

  1. Entry fee: one dollar US per foot overall.

  2. NO SINGLE HANDED SAILOR. Three crew minimum.

  3. SAFETY EQUIPMENT

    • ALL CURRENT (1955) COAST GUARD DOCUMENTED AND APPROVED FOR OFFSHORE USE

  4. Gun at 8AM Central Standard Time. Period.

  5. Starting point MUST be from an approved harbor

  6. Turn around MUST occur in an approved harbor

  7. Turn around MUST approach and tie up to the designated dock

  8. OFFICIAL MUST PRESENT DATED TIMED DOCUMENT

  9. RETURN TO STARTING HARBOR

BOATS Monohulls:

  1. Class A: 100+ feet overall

  2. Class B: 80' to 99' 11" overall

  3. Class C: 60' to 79' 11" overall

  4. Class D: 55' to 59' 11" overall

  5. Class E: 50' to 54' 11" overall

  6. Class F: 45' to 49' 11" overall

  7. Class G: 40' to 44' 11" overall

  8. Class H: 35' to 39' 11" overall

  9. Class I : 30' to 34' 11" overall

Multihulls: Any size over 28 feet.

The measurement may be taken anytime at least three days prior to the start of the race by the individual Clubs, Membership NOT required.

Entry Fee to be paid at time of measurement.

Grace and I went to the Yacht Club. We were actually members. Junior members. Adults over the age of 25 are members in waiting. Full membership comes at age 35. You must own or are in hock to your eyebrows to a bank somewhere for a boat, motor or sail, at least 26 feet long. Anything less is NOT a yacht.

"Mr Adrian?" James Adrian is the club steward. Not manager ... steward. He's the man who makes final decisions. "We need our boat measured and pay the necessary fees for the A&B Race."

"That's the K5?"

"Yes, sir."

"It's 44 feet. I've seen the plans."

"No, sir. She's 45 on the water line."

"How close?"

"Exact, sir."

"How measured?"

"On the hard at Palmer Johnson ... between perpendiculars."

"Thanks for being honest. What are your plans for today?" he asked.

Grace said, "Pull her, scrape the weed, check her fairings, repaint the bottom, wax, polish, unload anything unnecessary. Take out the marble and the woodwork. And like that."

I added, "Go over every inch of stitching on all the sails, check the standing rigging while the mast is pulled, run new halyards, grease the winches and check the hatches for warp."

"Replace the batteries in the EPIRB's in all the offshore suits. While we have the EPI's out I'm going to suit up and jump in the lake and then David is going to do the same. Don't look so shocked, David."

Mr. Adrian asked, "Who is the third crew?"

"Ensign Olsen."

"Nope ... no professionals."

"Candy Hjálmtýsdóttir ... or however one pronounces her name."

"Tall, Icelander?"

"Yes, sir."

"Come get me when you get the bow and stern scraped. Rudder doesn't count."

We called Anderson's. Yes, his railroad was open. Yes, we could pull her. Yes, we could scrape her. He was going to be gone and would settle up when he got back. He told us to be careful and stay well out from Bill's Boat Dock because the Starlight was being difficult. And naturally we had to ask.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.