Another Chance - Cover

Another Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 43

At least the Chevrolet dealer had the sense to call it in. No way was he going to take a 1955 Studebaker Speedster with the never happen four on the floor in on trade for a used fifty-five Bel Air two door 'vert with the big engine. 1956 models were three weeks away and 1956 had a higher horsepower engine. I stopped in and he told me he'd sent them out the door.

"Thank you very much. I just came from the doctors and discovered my sister ripped my card while I was getting my cast off." I shook his hand, "What was she trying to do?"

He explained.

"You have a used 1955 convertible?"

A nod. A caveat, "The '56's come out in three weeks."

"It wouldn't happen to be white over red?"

A nod. Another caveat, "The '56's come out in three weeks."

"265 with the super power pac?"

A nod. Again with the announcement, "The '56's come out in three weeks."

"Automatic?"

A sad shake of the head. "The '56's come out in three weeks."

"Three on the tree?"

Another shake. The admission came reluctantly, "Corvette three speed on the floor, but the '56's come out in three weeks.""

"Show the '55 to me?"

"Are you sure you wouldn't like to see the literature on the NEW Chevrolet?"

"The damn things are ugly." It was too bad I couldn't tell him that sales for the '56 were lackluster, and I really couldn't tell him the the 1957 would be the best Chevy ever.

Next door was the dealership used car lot with the slime ball salesmen. I was instantly surrounded. Not by salesmen trying to sell me a car but guys trying to get me off the lot. The law was laid down, I had a test ride. I told the dealer I'd be back and don't let them sell the 'vert.

The hunt was on.

Ludington isn't very big ... that's a lot like calling a town with fifty thousand people Smalltown America. Pentwater is small... 1955? maybe 1100 residents ... residents = people who don't leave when it snows. That's kids, parents, grandparents and dogs. Cats are smarter than that. They do their very best to stay indoors and stay away from kids who thinkg dropping them in a snow covered yard is 'cute'.

There were about 10,000 people living in Ludington, except in the summer, then it's 30,000. My old lives knew that Ludington lost a lot of people when the railcars stopped coming.

When the railroad decided that it was 'no longer economically feasible' to continue running trains across the lake there was no reason for the railroad to continue service. Trucks haul it. If a Laker goes down in a storm nobody makes money except the lawyers.

The Great Lakes have "The Storm of the Century" about four or five times a year and meteorology being the only job that can be wrong three out of five days the only warning a sailor on the Lakes gets is the water coming in the hatch. The losses used to be acts of God but the lawyers changed that.

Today, late August, 1955, the rail traffic still crosses the Lake headed for four ports on the Wisconsin side. After they stuff the freight in as tight as it'll pack they fill up the spaces with cars, motorcycles and bicycles.

US 10 is the main access to Ludington... 10 stops at the car ferry pier in Ludington and starts again at the car ferry pier in Manitowoc of the west side. US 10 is SUPPOSED to use the car ferries.

US 10 is also the main shopping district so my hunt for the girls should be easy. They have a car ... this complicates things. I have a Lynx ... further complications. A shoulder riding kitten is cute.

"Isn't he cute."

"She."

"Oh, he's darling."

"She," I said, "He is a she."

"May I pet him?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.