Another Chance - Cover

Another Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 10

When I could, I got daddy aside where Grace couldn't see or hear me. "Pop," I said. "I want to do Wagoners Chevy last, please."

"No problem, David. I don't like General Motors products. They treated their employees like crap. GM is the biggest reason the UAW (United Auto Workers) formed. We'll all regret it in the end."

"Gosh, Pop, I didn't know you felt that way about GM products. I'd planed on buying Grace a '55 Bel Air two door hardtop."

"Two reasons I can't let you do that, David," He held up one finger: "She's not old enough." The second finger came out, "She starts babysitting for the Metcalfe's this weekend. I want her to earn her own money. She's leaning on your pocketbook and I can't have that." He thought about it, "I guess that's four reasons. Now, who is this Pop you have started referring to?"

"I guess I hadn't considered that. I was just trying to soothe her ruffled feathers or smooth her path in life. I hadn't thought about the dreaded responsibility thing." I chuckled, "Pop is you Dad. It's the latest thing in nicknames for fathers."

"I don't like it, I'm used to Daddy ... as long as I'm Daddy, you're still my boy. You start changing up on me and I'll be an old man before my time."

"Too late, Dad ... you're too late."

He looked so crestfallen I laughed. "As for Grace and money ... I've been to Mr. Livingston and set up a college trust for both of us. I won't mention it to her."

"Mention what to whom?" asked Grace as she opened the office door.

Daddy took one look, "Who is this young lady? I'm sorry Miss, do I know you?"

Grace was dressed in young adult clothes. She represented the very best in 1954 teenagers.

Crinolines and a wide white skirt, a white high buttoned blouse, white silk stockings, white shoes with just the veriest hint of heel, and elbow length white gloves. She carried a tiny clutch purse in her folded hands. She topped it all off with a poof of a white wispy lace veiled hat pinned in place. Lucile, AKA Wicked Stepmother, was standing in the doorway behind her. WSM had an extremely proud expression on her face.

"Lucy," daddy said. "I'm very proud of you ... this is your doing."

Lucile said, "It's summer ... summer means white for young ladies." But she was pleased that Charles had noticed.

"Aren't you going?" daddy asked her.

"I'm staying home with young Charles," she said. "Charles ... don't get her dirty. David, Grace is a lady ... treat her like one. Grace ... be picky about where you sit."

As far as treating Grace like a lady ... I was in complete AWE ... Good Gawd Almighty ... Grace was a beauty!

She spoiled it ... she stuck her tongue out at me and crossed her eyes. Daddy saw it and laughed, "Not TOO much a lady ... yet. David ... get a bed sheet ... for the car. Grace cannot sit in the Mercury dressed like that."

Grace started to step out..."Glide, Grace ... Glide, Like I taught you. Lady steps." WSM said.

I had expected we were going to car shop in Saint Johns. Instead we went to the new Motor Mile in Lansing. Every dealership in town had built new showroom facilities on Saginaw Street behind Frandor.

Really ... it was nearly three miles of every American, British, Italian, French, Swedish and German motorcar made: Ford, Mercury, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Studebaker, Lincoln, Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Fiat, American Motors, Cadillac, Volvo, Saab, Packard, Lancia, Ferrari, Volkswagen, Citroen, Edwards, Cunningham, Kaiser, Nash, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Arnolt, Kurtis, Muntz, and Woodill.

Many dealers sported floor plans of multiple brands:

Cadillac-Oldsmobile were under one roof. The Buick-Pontiac Dealership was as far away from them as they could get.

Lincoln-Mercury camped out near the Ford dealer.

Chrysler-Plymouth was across the street from the DeSoto-Dodge showroom.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.