Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior) - Cover

Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior)

Copyright© 2014 by Harddaysknight

Chapter 17

Steve was surprised only by how quickly Gwen's detractors had managed to set things in motion. He had expected the 'dance' to begin during the summer recess. He was already feeling quite irritated when he was stopped by a TV reporter as he made his way through the airport.

"Can you shed any light on these ethics violation accusations? What exactly is Gwen Anderson being accused of? Can you tell us that much?"

"I can explain a few things," replied Steve with a seemingly calm demeanor. "There are certain members of Congress that believe that Gwen's popularity is threatening to them, or diminishes them in some way.

"Gwen is the most ethical, honest person I know. This whole thing isn't really about ethics. Hell, most of these people in Congress wouldn't recognize ethical behavior if it bit them in the ass.

"This town is about money, power, and influence. Gwen has all three and that upsets certain politicians that have less. Gwen's worked hard to make our company a success. That hard work has gained her considerable power and influence here in the U.S., and in other nations. She didn't buy it, like so many politicians try to do, but earned it by performing remarkable acts of courage, generosity, and kindness.

"We will not enter into this fray unprepared. As soon as the battle lines become clear, those unwise individuals that are leading this witch-hunt will rue the day they decided to question Gwen's ethics, integrity, or honesty. Uncle Sam has trained me in the art of war. We'll counter attack with vigor, and without mercy. I'd caution those that join against Gwen in this ill-fated fiasco that they'll not come out unscathed."

"Are you implying that you consider this investigation akin to actual war?" questioned the amazed reporter.

"No, I'm not implying it. I'm stating outright that this is an unprovoked attack, which is an act of war by almost any definition. We will respond accordingly. Political blood will be shed."

"Are you threatening the politicians that are questioning Congresswoman Anderson's behavior in the House?" pursued the stunned reporter.

"That would depend on how you look at it. If promising to reveal truths, expose corruption, and quite possibly force some members of Congress from office for malfeasance and outright illegal activities is considered a threat, then it would seem that I am. I simply consider it a promise. We look forward to literally cleaning House."

"You're an officer in the U.S. military. Can you even say these things without landing in serious trouble yourself?" was the final question posed to Steve.

"Why would we officers be trained to fight, and taught to defend honor, freedom, our way of life, as well as the Constitution, if we were expected to ignore threats to loved ones? I feel strongly that this is one of the reasons I worked to become an officer in the U.S. Navy, and it's what the American people expect from me. I will support Gwen to my last breath. America will accept nothing less from me, and quite frankly, neither will I!

"I'd ask viewers that wish to support Gwen in this upcoming kangaroo court to visit our web page, LadyinRedProductions.com to find contact information. They can use it to report any suspected unethical activity by elected officials in Washington. We'll take it from there."

Steve ended the interview at that point. It was rushed past editors and played on the evening news along with the story of Gwen being investigated for ethics violations.

"Do you believe what your boyfriend just did?" asked Charlotte as she, Gwen, and some friends watched Steve's interview. "He's come out fighting. That's for sure! It doesn't pay to insult or attack Gwen Anderson in any way. He came across as very calm but extremely determined. I wonder what the fallout from this will be."

"We decided that once this started, we'd be on the offensive. We've had people working on this matter for weeks now, and we've gathered some pretty damning information," admitted Gwen. "But I never expected Steve to fire the first salvos. I hope he doesn't get into trouble. He sure does get upset when anyone tries to hurt me, doesn't he?"

The next morning found Steve seated in front of a very irate Senator Chatham. "I've had a dozen calls already this morning. Every last one of them was from a member of Congress that wants you disciplined, at the very least! There's pressure on the Navy to court martial you. They want President Hanson to denounce you and Gwen, or at least distance himself from you both. Some of my advisors are telling me to jettison you as far and as fast as I possibly can. You've opened a real can of worms."

"I warned you that I'd support Gwen come hell or high water," responded Steve. "You're the one that told me this was coming and to be prepared. I didn't just come up with those statements on the spur of the moment. I've been thinking about it for weeks.

"I won't blame you if you distance yourself from me. I'm a big boy and I'll accept any punishment my superiors deem appropriate. I will not ignore attacks on Gwen. You can take that to the bank."

"I didn't say I was going to follow that advice," countered Senator Chatham. "I'm still hearing all sorts of praise about your efforts after that tornado. FEMA hasn't even responded yet and your company has a good portion of the recovery work already done. No one has ever seen a private company move so fast and so effectively. Hell, no company has ever even considered helping on the scale that yours did. It was amazing.

"I'm going to confer with the President about this matter in a few minutes. It'll be on speaker since he wants to talk with you directly. Stay in that chair and wait!" insisted the senior Senator from Tennessee before leaving the office.

Steve remained quiet as he watched Senator Chatham's staff struggle to handle the large volume of phone calls that were pouring in. Fifteen minutes later, the Senator returned. She and Steve were the only two in her office.

"Mr. President, this is Senator Chatham. Lieutenant Hammer is the only other person in attendance. I've already mentioned to him some of the pressures you're facing from his 'declaration of war' yesterday evening."

"Steve, how are you?" asked President Hanson by way of a conversation starter. "That was some pretty slick work your company did over the weekend in Tennessee. That required a great deal of planning and a considerable investment."

"Yes, sir. My brother-in-law, Army Ranger Captain Jason Hunter, graduated West Point with an engineering degree. He's retired from the military now and working very hard to prepare our company's response to emergencies across the nation and possibly around the world. That was our first major test. We did some things wrong and we're expecting to improve for next time."

"I'm very familiar with his record. I'm not surprised that he was able to design such a well conceived strategy," replied Hanson. "You've done a great service to the people of Tennessee and this nation.

"That said, you must realize that your response to Ms. Anderson's situation has placed your superiors in a difficult situation. Members of the military do not speak their minds to the press, especially if it's contrary to the will of Congress, or the President," stated Hanson firmly.

"I understand that, Sir. I am prepared to accept any and all punishment the Navy administers, but I will always respond when Gwen is attacked," declared Steve just as firmly.

"And it's that chivalry, that desire to protect your lady that makes this so difficult," replied President Hanson. "Television and the internet can't stop talking and writing about it. The average man on the street is solidly behind you both, while Suzy Homemaker feels that you're Sir Lancelot and Sir Walter Raleigh all rolled into one.

"My advisors think you've overstepped your bounds this time. They tell me that you and Gwen can't survive the kind of campaign that certain powerful members of Congress will wage against you. They want me to cut my losses, as well as any ties that I have with you.

"The Kremlin will announce later today that you and Gwen are going to serve as best man and maid of honor at Vlad Novokov's wedding. Talk about timing! That information will fuel the distrust some people have of Gwen and you. It looks like a perfect storm and my advisors are telling me to pull in my head, batten the hatches, and wait for it to pass."

Neither Steve nor Senator Chatham wanted to interrupt the president as he spoke, so they remained silent and waited for him to continue.

"Unlike almost everyone else in Washington, I have no political ambitions after January. That actually removes some of the stress of this situation. This may also be the most nonpartisan movement I have ever experienced in my many years in Washington. Some powerful members of both parties are uncomfortable with Gwen's influence, as well as the speed at which it's been increasing. She doesn't play by their rules. She can't be intimidated, bought, or cajoled into doing things their way.

"My gut feeling is that some very powerful people are about to receive a lesson in civics, the American tradition of hard work, honesty, and the strength of public opinion.

"I'm going to come out in support of Gwen, without equivocation, or misgivings. I'll not allow the Navy to punish you in any way, Steve. I'll be very honest here. My wife is your biggest fan. She's convinced that you two will come out on top, and be stronger than ever. I can't remember the last time she was wrong about something like this. She feels so strongly about it that she insists we support you, to the point of gambling with my legacy, and betting it on you and Gwen. I tend to agree with her."

"Mr. President? Am I hearing you correctly? You're going to publicly stand behind Gwen Anderson and Steve Hammer in this battle? You realize that it's a huge risk, and many of your advisors will not be pleased. Nor will some members of your cabinet. You may lose some good people over this," cautioned Senator Chatham.

"I admit that it'll be interesting. There'll be some very big winners, as well as some very big losers when the dust settles. My wife and I feel that those of us in Gwen's camp will be the big winners, but only time will tell. Are you prepared to state your position, Senator?" asked the President.

"I've thought about nothing else for the past twelve hours," answered Senator Chatham. "When I came in this morning, my staff was divided about how to handle this. The younger members were adamant that Gwen and Steve represented the best in America and deserved my support. The older, career minded people wanted me to tell the public that I felt Steve needed space and time to work through this issue; that I was cutting ties with him to give him the space he needs."

"That seems very fair, Senator," interrupted Steve. "Thanks for the opportunity...

"Allow me to finish my meanderings!" insisted Senator Chatham. "Mr. President, I was with Steve and Gwen and their friends in Paris a few short months ago. I've seen what happens when the two of them are together, working the crowd, including world leaders. Steve saved my life and probably a dozen others when he caught that grenade and fired it back into that speeding car. What he accomplished seemed impossible. How they both interact with world leaders, and in what high esteem they are held is difficult for me to even comprehend. Steve conducted himself very well during the negotiations with Russia and Ukraine. It was something to see.

"Add that I woke up Sunday morning to see him on TV leading volunteers in my home state to help victims of a tornado, and to learn that his company provided all kinds of relief and helped save lives and property; I feel I have no choice but to support Gwen and Steve to the bitter end. What kind of person would I be if I remained on the sidelines while two of the finest, most powerful voices for peace in the world today are attacked by these political jackals?

"I've decided to address my colleagues as soon as possible and declare my position. I like to think that it will help convince some others to join me."

"Mr. President. Senator Chatham. Gwen will be delighted to hear about your support. I thank you both for your confidence and trust, and assure you that we will do everything possible to earn it," responded Steve with considerable emotion.

"Steve, you've already earned it, many times over," replied President Hanson. "You've made me look good on several occasions and now those chickens have come home to roost. You and Gwen will play a very big role in the future of this country. I'm sure of that, and I'm equally certain that this nation will be the better for it."

About the same time as Steve was speaking with President Hanson and Senator Chatham, Charlotte answered their house phone at Stanford. She quickly called to Gwen. "It's Secretary Rosen! He wants to speak with you."

Once Gwen picked up the phone, Rosen began. "Gwen, I saw Steve's interview last night. I could have told those idiots that Steve would fight for you if they tried to smear your name. I learned that lesson the hard way!

"I'm calling to let you know that I'm going to come out strongly in support of you in this debacle in Congress. As you know, I resigned from the Cabinet and I've declared my candidacy for president.

"My wife insisted that I not only support you, but call you to let you know that I am. She feels that you're going to kick butt and take names in this looming battle. I happen to think she's right.

"Í know you said that you wouldn't come out in support of any candidate, but I want to make certain that you know where I stand on this matter. I am not sitting on the fence. There's no waffling. You have my best wishes and total support.

"My wife thinks that the sun rises and sets on Steve. His adamant support of you, and the fact that he pretty much threatened those that wish you harm raised her opinion of him even higher. She keeps telling me to watch how he conducts himself and try to act the same way," finished Rosen.

"I can't tell you how pleased I am that you called and offered your support," responded Gwen. "Steve sure did make his feelings known, didn't he? I think women like it when a man is willing to risk it all to protect his lady, and Steve certainly did that. I appreciate that you called and I wish you the best in your campaign."

"It's begun," observed Charlotte as Gwen hung up the phone. "Remember that the plan is for me to keep you focused on your studies and let the others take care of things. With Steve, Paula, Ashley, Kate, and Stephanie fighting for you in Washington, I'd say things look pretty good. Just let them handle it while you concentrate on school."

It wasn't all good news. Several members of the House appeared on the morning news shows and expressed concern about Gwen remaining so active in her company and in entertainment while serving in Congress. They suggested that she was using her position to increase her personal wealth

They were even more vocal about Steve and his efforts to 'strong-arm' them into abandoning their duties as public servants and turn a blind eye to Gwen's questionable behavior. Congressmen Bill Simpson went so far as to suggest that Gwen 'lacked the moral fiber' required to serve in the House of Representatives after seeing her performance on the Oscars and her 'inappropriate' commercials on the Super Bowl broadcast. He went so far as to call her a 'modern day harlot'.

When Steve reached Gwen's D.C. office a little after ten that morning, he found Ashley calmly directing her staff on how to handle the phone calls that had begun to pour in. She even instructed one staffer to place an ad on Graigslist to hire temporary people to answer phones. Several reporters were waiting for Ashley to finish up so they could question her.

When they saw Steve walk in, they rushed to ask him the questions that had been intended for Ashley. "Please wait for Ashley," insisted Steve. "I spoke to the press last night and I'm still hearing about it."

Ashley soon joined Steve and began fielding questions. She did an excellent job and Steve found himself grateful for her calm, thoughtful responses. Then a reporter asked about Congressman Simpson's remark about how Gwen was a modern day harlot and lacked the moral fiber to serve in the House.

"Are you sure that Mr. Simpson actually made that statement?" asked Ashley as anger flashed across her face. "Even Mr. Simpson wouldn't be that foolish."

One of the reporters pulled the interview up on his iPad and played it for Steve and Ashley. Then he asked, "Do you care to respond to Congressman Simpson's comments?"

Even as angry as Ashley was, she could easily tell that Steve was livid. His face was red and his hands were clenched tightly into fists. She arched an eyebrow to Steve and he nodded in return. The exchange between the two did not go unnoticed by the reporters.

"Okay, my response to the foolish statements by Congressman Simpson is in a locked file. Please give me a moment to retrieve it," requested Ashley as she unlocked and opened a large filing cabinet.

The reporters could see that the cabinet was almost full of files. They were able to easily read the names of several members of Congress on the headers. Ashley pulled a small pile of papers out of a file clearly marked 'Bill Simpson'. She placed the file on her desk and then closed and locked the cabinet.

"Here's Gwen's response to Mr. Simpson's incredibly stupid insinuation that she lacked moral fiber," declared Ashley with obvious anger. "Just last night, Steve Hammer warned what would happen to politicians that attacked Gwen's character or honesty. Obviously, Mr. Simpson heard him because I just saw how he ranted about Steve's nerve for almost a minute during his interview this morning just before he questioned Gwen Anderson's character. Now comes the reckoning. Mr. Simpson is about to enter into a world of hurt and he has no one to blame but his own hypocritical, sanctimonious, self serving ass!"

With that statement, Ashley pulled packets from the files and handed one to each reporter. "Be sure the self-righteous Mr. Simpson knows that this information is being handed out compliments of Gwen Anderson and Steve Hammer!"

The reporters quickly thumbed through the files. A couple of whistles sounded as they began to digest the contents of the packet.

"I haven't read any of this, but a few of these pictures look pretty damning!" observed a veteran reporter from a national network. "Can you explain these pictures and some of these documents?"

"You guys are the reporters, so dig into it. We've already done the leg work that a lot of your viewers would have expected from you, but that's okay. There's a flash drive in each packet with some video and more detailed explanations of the contents," pointed out Ashley. "Now that I gave you a bone to chew on, please leave the office and let me get some work done."

"That poor, miserable bastard won't even know what hit him," grinned Ashley once she was alone with Steve. "It couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. He's been in Congress forever, has seniority so he can pick what committees he wants to be on, acts like he's the second coming in public, yet does terrible things to people. I read the files and saw the videos and I feel confident that he'll rot in hell."

"So, how do you really feel about the guy?" asked Steve with a crooked grin. "Personally, I'm glad he gave us a reason to release that report. I would have hated to keep it private had he not attacked Gwen. I don't think that I could've done that. There are a couple more really bad characters in the House that will have to be exposed before too long, regardless of how this all plays out."

News organizations had a field day with the information Ashley had given to the reporters in her office. She was soon getting requests for copies from the news organizations that were not represented when she gave her interview in her office.

By early afternoon, outraged citizens and a few of Simpson's fellow House members were demanding his resignation. Simpson doggedly refused to give in. At first he claimed it was all a lie manufactured by Gwen Anderson and her company to weaken her strongest critic. By the next day, he was claiming he was misunderstood, and was a victim. By Friday morning, he reluctantly admitted he needed professional help and resigned from the House in ignominy.

The speed of his political demise stunned Washington. On Wednesday morning, Bill Simpson had been one of the most powerful men on the Hill. By noon Friday, he had resigned in shame with his legacy in tatters and his reputation destroyed.

Steve's interview was replayed constantly, especially on the cable news channels. Was he right to reveal Simpson's years of debauchery and the deviant behavior that he had forced on numerous women for over twenty years? Would Steve and Gwen have revealed what a monster Simpson really was if he hadn't made the tactical mistake of accusing Gwen of moral turpitude?

The politicians that wanted to investigate Gwen became noticeably more civil in their discussions about Gwen's activity, but refused to abandon their goals. By Thursday, the House Ethics committee had released their schedule relating to their investigation. Paula and Stephanie were to answer questions about Lady in Red Productions' finances on a Wednesday, April 22nd, less than two weeks into the future! The next day, they would return if there were more questions for them, and then Ashley would appear to respond to any inquiries about Gwen's actions while in office. Friday was reserved for Gwen to appear before the committee.

Polls were taken repeatedly. Without exception, Gwen was supported by at least ninety percent of those questioned. Most people felt the charges were politically motivated and lacked any credibility. Bill hardy continued to insist that Gwen and Steve were communist sympathizers dedicated to the destruction of the United States.

Amber Stahl requested an interview with Steve and Gwen, which they quickly granted. Steve and Amber flew to California to tape it. Gwen was desperately trying to get ahead on her studies since she would miss the following Friday's classes to appear in Washington and then travel for more than a week. Her finals were scheduled for mid May.

Stanford provided a very modern set in their media building for the interview. The three friends chatted amicably while they waited for the camera and sound people to declare everything was ready. Amber took a seat across from Gwen and Steve and the live interview began.

"Thanks for agreeing to be interviewed this evening. I know that you're both very busy, especially you, Gwen. Third year med students don't have a lot of spare time, so let's get started.

"Gwen, do you feel there is any basis for the investigation into your ethics by the House committee?"

"Thanks for having us tonight, Amber. I feel that there are reasons for the investigation, and none of them are related to any wrong doing on my part," responded Gwen. "I've been extremely fortunate in the friends I have made, the success of our movies and music, and having the love and support of hard working men and women in the U.S. and around the world.

"That success appears to have created more than a little resentment in Washington. These pathetic tactics are the response of desperate politicians. They either can't, or won't do better themselves, so they're trying to diminish my reputation and the good will Steve and I have worked so hard to achieve over the years."

"Steve," continued Amber as she turned her attention to him. "You gave an interview the evening the ethics investigation was announced. You pretty much threatened to destroy anyone that attempted to harm Gwen in any way. The very next day Congressman Simpson stated on network television that Gwen 'lacked moral fiber and was a modern day harlot'. As soon as you heard that quote, you instructed Gwen's assistant to release a packet of damning information that essentially forced Mr. Simpson to resign his office within the week.

"How do you feel about being responsible for a man losing the office he held for over thirty years? Does it bother you in any way? Any second thoughts?"

"I wasn't responsible for him resigning his position," declared Steve firmly. "That was entirely his doing. His abuse of power and lack of common decency were his downfall. We would have eventually given the information to the press, regardless of his stand on Gwen's investigation. Once we discovered what a horrible person he was, and what terrible things he had done to innocent women, there was no option. I would expect that civil and criminal suits will be filed against him before long."

"It's a widely held belief that nothing ever happens fast in Washington. Yet, Mr. Simpson's entire career suffered a complete and total meltdown within a few days of his less than complimentary remarks regarding Gwen. Many in Washington were stunned by the speed of his departure from Congress. You are seen as Gwen's protector and the enforcer when strong measures are needed. Are you comfortable with that role?" questioned Amber.

"I'm comfortable doing anything and everything in my power to assist and protect Gwen. Labels mean nothing to me. Gwen's future and her reputation mean everything," admitted Steve. "I'll never stand idly by when Gwen's attacked."

"Let me point out that Steve didn't do any of this out of malice," added Gwen. "Once we determined the sort of person we were dealing with, we all agreed that he needed to be exposed. Please don't think that Steve is some monster that crushes anyone that disagrees with us. He demands respect, and he's earned it. Those that engage in reasonable dialogue have nothing to fear. Insulting and demeaning me will always draw a strong reaction from Steve. That should be obvious to everyone by now."

"These hearings are being held awfully soon. Usually there are months between accusations and the actual hearings. How is it that your appearance before the ethics committee has been scheduled so quickly?"

"I think that surprised the committee," responded Gwen. "We received a request to appear, and were given a three month window. We simply chose the earliest possible date. We need no time to prepare. My friends, my family, my staff, and I are eager to defend and to move past this unnecessary political maneuver. Steve and I have a wedding to attend and two concerts in Europe scheduled for the very near future, as well as a hospital ground breaking in Moscow and a hospital dedication in Kiev. In the grand scheme of things, this is simply a minor irritation. I'm not a politician. I serve at the will of my constituents. I was not elected to please and appease the Washington political powers."

"That brings up another subject," segued Amber. "Some very important and powerful people, including President Hanson and former Secretary Rosen have pretty much staked their political fortunes on you coming out on top in this battle. Senator Chatham has stated that she feels you will not only survive this investigation, but it will actually increase your influence.

"More than a few political pundits feel that you and Steve are now the most powerful couple in the world. Do you see yourselves as world leaders, king makers, the powers behind the throne, or anything similar?"

"Honestly, I have trouble believing my eyes and ears when I watch Steve interact with the most powerful people in the world" admitted Gwen with obvious pride. "He stands eye-to-eye and toe-to-toe with them, and they respect him for it. I have no real influence in international politics, but Steve sure seems to. I guess the jury is still out about Steve being a king maker."

"President Hanson, Senator Chatham, Secretary Rosen, as well as several other high ranking politicians have announced their total support for you in this matter. Does that support help ease your mind?"

"It truly does, Amber. I appreciate all of the politicians that have announced their support for me during this unpleasant time. I have to be honest about this, however. The phone calls, emails, texts, and words of encouragement I constantly receive from the hard working people of this country serve as an even better cure for the pain this situation has caused Steve and me, as well as my family and friends. I was elected by the people to serve in Washington. I've done my very best. They're the ones I answer to, and from whom I seek approval."

"As I mentioned earlier, Senator Chatham stated an interesting theory in her speech in the senate this past week when she very strongly endorsed your moral fiber and personal and business ethics. She predicted that this obvious attempt to impede, or even reverse the growth in your popularity would only serve to increase it," quoted Amber. "Do you agree, Gwen?"

"I really have no idea about that. I guess it's a possibility. It's also possible that things could turn out much worse for me. Senator Chatham's scenario is certainly preferable, at least to me," smiled Gwen.

"You two have been asked to be the best man and maid of honor at the wedding of Vlad Novokov and Anna Chekov. Many observers feel that you were both asked because of your prominence in politics and entertainment. You've only been with the Russian couple a few times. Critics say that they must have better, closer friends. How do you respond to that?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.