Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior)
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2014 by Harddaysknight

Steve and Chip had been somewhat surprised at the delays that cropped up on their trip to Iraq. They had to switch aircraft three times and the trip wound up taking several hours more than they would have expected.

"Doesn't it seem strange that they were in such a hurry for you to get to the airport, but sent you on such a round-about way to get to Iraq?" asked Chip as the two men prepared to land in Baghdad. "This whole thing seems odd. Why are they bringing you in, even if the terrorists insisted that they negotiate only with you? We don't negotiate, so what's the sense of involving you?"

"I've been wondering the same thing," admitted Steve. "Maybe they'll want me to stall them so we can get some special forces involved. Plus, these kids are European, and some of those countries do negotiate. They may actually want me to talk to the kidnappers."

"Yeah, it's possible, but if it looks like a dog turd, smells like a dog turd..." began Chip before the pilot interrupted him with the announcement that they'd be on the ground in ten minutes.

Steve and Chip were ushered into a small office as soon as they exited the aircraft. "Thanks for coming," began a smiling man as he extended his hand to Steve. "And who is this man with you?"

"He's a friend that wanted to tour Baghdad, so he caught a ride with me. You might as well go see your friends now, Chip. I'll meet up with you when this is over."

Chip studied Steve's face for a few seconds and nodded. "Sure, Steve. Good luck. I'll be at the hotel, so look me up when you're finished with your assignment. We'll have a few beers and tour the city."

"You've been told that 17 kids have been taken by terrorists," began the smiling man as soon as Chip left the room. "We're going to take you to where the families are gathered while they wait this out. The state department thinks that your experience in dealing with terrorists will help reassure the relatives."

Steve was suspicious of the explanation, but still climbed into a black sedan with the man. Once he was seated, the driver pulled into traffic. It took almost an hour to reach the facility where the families were gathered. As soon as Steve stepped into the room, he realized that he had not been told the truth about the situation.

A man that appeared to be in charge quickly approached him and began speaking in French. "Steve Hammer! Everyone in this room is extremely grateful for your incredible sacrifice. We were so worried that you would not arrive in time, or that you would refuse the terrorists' demands."

Confused by the man's greeting, Steve asked the obvious question. "Exactly what are the terrorists' demands?"

"They have threatened to kill the children unless you are turned over to them. There have been no other demands since that one was made. We have just an hour before the deadline," replied the man.

Steve struggled to conceal his surprise as he turned to look at the man who had escorted him from the airport. He refused to meet Steve's eyes as he suddenly felt the need to study his shoes.

"Has anything been done to secure the safety of the children? Are there any plans for military operations?" asked Steve as he returned his attention to the French speaking man.

"Our governments felt that it would endanger the lives of the children. They determined it would be best to wait to see if you would be willing to save them. Your reputation for unparalleled courage allowed those of us in this room to hope and pray that you would come."

"Had it occurred to any of you before this happened that simply by bringing your children to this area of the world, you would place them in danger?" asked Steve somewhat tersely. "If you, and your governments were so concerned about their safety, the only sensible thing would have been to leave all non-essential civilians home. Now you want me to give my life to save theirs? Does that make any sense? Why would I ever agree to give my life when this situation was so easily preventable?"

Just then a woman stepped forward from the group that had been listening to Steve speak with their leader. "You're known as the most daring of men; and you're the only man in the world that can save our children! My cousin, Michelle D'Anjou, asked me to not place you in this position. She told me that you would feel honor-bound to make the trade, but that it was morally wrong of us to ask. It's to my shame, that I beg this of you. But it's for my daughter, not for me!"

Steve looked at the woman before turning his attention to the other parents and relatives. The anguish they were feeling was tangible. What parent wouldn't be suffering at a time like this? Now it was all on his shoulders. Steve quickly made his decision, but didn't reveal it immediately.

"So tell me this," he began calmly. "Will any of you go with me if I agree to this? I hate to do this alone."

Steve found it interesting that so many of the women looked to their husbands in response to his question. Slowly, reluctantly, six men raised their hands, while the woman that had identified herself as Michelle's D'Anjou's cousin once again stepped forward.

"I'd be proud to accompany you! For my child, no sacrifice is too great. I couldn't ask this of you if I were not willing to suffer the same fate. Take me with you. Together, we will save these children."

Steve nodded as he looked at the assembled group. Human nature was a curious thing. These people had no qualms about asking him to give his life to save their children, but showed great reluctance when they were offered the same opportunity. The six men that had volunteered did so because they felt that they had no choice. They were motivated by fear of being labeled a coward, or accused of not loving their children. Only the one mother demonstrated a true willingness to give up her life to save her child. She needed no persuasion or nudging.

"This woman has saved your children," stated Steve as he embraced the lady briefly. "The rest of you were less than eager to share my fate in order to free your kids. I'll do this because this woman has demonstrated the depth of a mother's love. I'll go alone. I just hope you're all able to live with what you're asking of me."

Steve turned and left the room. He had no desire to hear the words of encouragement and appreciation from the distressed parents. He had traveled to many dangerous places with his father over the years. His father had made it very clear that he was to obey all instructions he was given, and if things went south, it would be up to the two of them to find a solution. They would not be putting others in harm's way simply because Steve wanted to be with his father, even in dangerous parts of the world. Steve had understood what he had been told and never looked for someone else to pull him out of trouble. It was the chance he took when he remained close to his father. He had seen the wisdom in it and had accepted it.

The people he had just met had willingly brought their children into danger, yet acted surprised when the actual danger materialized. They wanted, expected even, that someone else would make the sacrifices necessary to save the kids that they had placed in harm's way. While Steve felt some compassion for them, his overriding emotion was contempt. Only the mother of one child seemed to understand her duty as a parent.

Several French soldiers approached Steve and explained that they were assigned to accompany Steve to the site where the exchange was to be made. Steve simply nodded and climbed into a small bus with the men. He realized that the bus was going to be used to carry the children back to their parents.

Steve considered trying to contact Gwen, but had no idea what he would say to her. She certainly knew how he felt about her, but speaking with her at that moment would only increase the pain she would experience. His thoughts turned to Chip. Would he be able to bail Steve out of the mess he was headed for? Would the state department have operatives in place? Would SEALs or Rangers be used? He had nagging doubts about getting help from the government. They didn't even explain the situation to him before they sent him into the room with the parents!

The night was pitch black, with no moon, and a heavy cloud cover. Steve was told to slowly walk toward a building in a surprisingly busy part of whatever urban area he was now in. The headlights of the bus supplied the only illumination. Steve watched the children walk in single file toward the bus. When about ten of them were more than half way, he was given the signal to walk toward the dark area from which the kids were emerging.

As soon as he stepped into the shadows, his hands were pulled behind his back and cuffs were placed over his wrists. Then he was stunned by a blow to the back of his head which caused him to drop to his knees. A second blow rendered him unconscious.

Steve slowly regained his senses. The first thing he realized was an intense pain coming from his left arm. He forced himself to mentally go over the rest of his body to determine what other injuries he might have. His chest felt extremely tight and his breathing was labored. It felt very much like it did when he had been beaten by the terrorist that had taken him into the snow storm years before.

Steve barely had time to consider the extent of his injuries before he was pulled onto his knees and a dark hood was yanked off his head. The light momentarily blinded him before he realized that he could only see out of his left eye. Now that he focused on the feeling in his face, he discovered that the right side of his head felt swollen and very sore.

A hand grabbed his short hair and held his head up as a man spoke in Farsi. Steve realized he had probably been trained in Iran or Afghanistan, much like the terrorists that had attacked Sparta High School. The man held what felt like a very sharp blade against his throat as he promised he would soon be downloading the beheading of Steve Hammer. About that time, Steve squinted one eye open and detected a camera on a tripod a dozen feet in front of him.

Suddenly the man let go of his head and Steve dropped back to a prone position. The man walked around him and went to an old table nearby. From his interaction with others in the room, Steve surmised that he was checking his handiwork on a lap top computer. The man played his speech promising to broadcast Steve's beheading several times. Then he announced to his comrades that he was downloading it to the web.

After a short conversation, the man walked back to Steve and pulled him back into a kneeling position. Steve needed no script to know what was scheduled next. He opened one eye slightly and saw what appeared to be a scimitar in the man's hand!

Steve realized that the situation was extremely bleak. He promised himself that he wouldn't make it easy for his executioner. If he managed to thwart the man, the others would probably shoot him to death, but that would at least spoil the terrorists' plans of beheading him while he was still breathing, and then broadcasting it over the internet!

After a two minute tirade, the man pulled the scimitar back, and then took a fierce swing at Steve's throat. Steve had been careful to conceal the fact that he was now conscious. He steeled himself against the pain he knew he would experience in his arm and chest, and forcefully ducked his head down toward the floor in front of his knees.

He felt warm liquid pour over the back of his neck as the man that had been holding his head issued a horrible scream. The sword dropped to the floor next to Steve just before something rolled off Steve's back and landed next to the sword. It was the man's left hand! Steve quickly rolled onto his side and located his would-be executioner. He was standing over him holding his bloody wrist with his good hand and screaming in pain and shock.

Steve heard numerous shots, but to his surprise, felt no bullets strike his body. Determined to complete his goal, Steve kicked the back of the man's knee as hard as he could. It caused the guy to drop to the floor on his back. Steve felt around for the hilt of the sword lying behind him. When his right hand closed on the hilt, Steve rose on his knees and looking over his shoulder, drove the blade into the screaming man's throat, thus ending his agony. With the sword wedged into the man's throat, Steve struggled to his feet and stepped closer to the man as blood gushed from the wound in his neck. He watched the terrorist twitch and jerk a few times before he raised his left foot and brought his boot down sharply on the back of the blade.

The razor sharp steel hit the concrete floor as the head separated from the body. Steve then placed the toe of his boot against the man's ear and flipped the head ten feet away from the body.

"Feel better now?" asked a familiar voice from behind. Steve slowly turned to face the speaker. It took a few seconds to focus on the man.

"What the hell took you so long?" chided Steve as he took in his friend's condition. Chip was leaning against a table with his left leg hanging at a strange angle below his knee. Blood stained his lower pant leg. The stain grew larger ever as Steve looked at it. Then he slowly raised his gaze to Chip's shoulder, which also had a large blood stain.

"I was enjoying the sunrise, Asshole," replied Chip through gritted teeth. "I had to take out three guards before I could get inside. Then I shot the five bastards you might be able to see with that ugly damn eye. They died while you were having your tete-a-tete with that headless fucker over there, ... and over there."

"We can't hang around here and chat," observed Steve. "Neither one of us in any shape to do battle. We need to get the hell out of here."

"Well, I don't think I'll be going anywhere," replied Chip with a wince. "My leg is pretty well fucked up and my shoulder hurts like hell. Just leave me with a few guns and head out. I'll welcome the fuckers when they come through the door."

"Yeah, like I'd leave you here. Kate would kill me if I showed up without your ugly mug in the seat next to mine. Besides, I'd think that you'd be in a hurry to get back to her, rather than wait for those bastards to show up and shoot you to ribbons. I had the impression that you liked her."

"Liked her?" replied Chip. "I already love her! I'm just trying to tell you that I can't walk. I rode a motorbike here, but left it a few miles back and up in the hills. I can't get to it and I couldn't ride it if I could."

"If you think you love Kate, you'll walk on two stumps to get back to her if you have to! I sure as hell can't give up. I've got to see Gwen again, hold her, and make love to her. I'm going back home and you're going with me," insisted Steve as he tried to stare Chip down with his one partially opened eye.

"You're right. I've got to get back to Kate, no matter how much it hurts. She's worth it! She's beautiful, isn't she?"

Steve was pleased to hear his friend talk about seeing Kate again. He knew that they had some difficult days in front of them and he needed Chip to give everything he had in order for them to survive. He made a quick decision.

"Let me see if I can find the keys to these cuffs. If I can get them off, I'll bandage you up and we'll crawl the hell out of here."

Steve spent about five minutes groping the bodies in an attempt to find the keys. He had to go strictly by feel and his efforts were futile. He rose from the last body he had been searching and walked back to Chip, who was still leaning against a table.

"Take my belt, along with yours, and bind your upper leg to mine. We'll walk out of here on three legs. It'll hurt like hell, but it'll keep weight off your lower leg. Can you do it with one good arm?"

It took a few more minutes with some sweating and swearing, but the two men finally were bound together. "Grab that camera and then video these sleeping beauties so we can show them to the grandkids someday," instructed Steve. "Then pull out the card. We'll send one email from that lap top and then get the hell out of here."

Half an hour later, the two men were awkwardly walking away from the old warehouse where Steve had been held captive. They were both bloodied and weak, but eventually found a rhythm and began to make surprisingly good time. Once they had gone a mile south, they veered off the road, using the sun to maintain their course. The traveling became more difficult, but they knew that they had to remain out of sight of any terrorists that could be traveling the roads. Chip was carrying a handgun in his waistband, and had stuffed another in Steve's, although it was unlikely that Steve would be able to use it very well with his hands still bound behind his back.

"I'm not trying to get weird or anything, but have you ever seen Kate naked?" asked Chip as the two men struggled over the rough terrain. "If you have, would you tell me what she looked like? I'd like to have something to think about besides my fucking leg."

"Normally, I wouldn't even consider that request," insisted Steve as he carefully stepped over a sharp rock. "But I can see where it would help pass the time, and maybe cause us to stop thinking about how much everything hurts."

As they trudged across the arid countryside, Steve painstakingly described Kate's charms to Chip. Somewhere along the line, he found himself discussing Gwen's beauty. By nightfall, Chip felt like he knew the sisters intimately. The men tried to sleep for a few hours and then resumed their trek. As they limped along, Steve realized he was answering questions about all the girls he knew, and Chip was a very good listener.

"You realize that you can't ever repeat this stuff, or I'll have to kill you?" asked Steve as the sun was rising. "I have nothing but respect for these ladies and don't want to give the wrong impression. But, it does seem to help make the pain bearable, doesn't it?"

"I understand. What kind of an asshole do you think I am?" replied Chip immediately. "I can't get over how many beautiful women you've seen topless or naked. At least you can die happy. I can't. Now, I've got to see these ladies' tits and asses for myself. We've got to make it back."

The two men were barely conscious when they staggered into the old man's yard. They had no idea if they had been walking for two days, or for a week. They both had high fevers and were badly dehydrated. The old man realized who they were immediately and helped them into the small cave in the side of the hill that he used for storage. Then he started out for the local village to find the Americans that were looking for the two men.

Much later, after they had been rescued and flown home and the group landed at the hospital in Sparta, Billy and Jared, the two strongest and healthiest men in the group, assumed the task of unloading the injured from the helicopters. Once the gurneys with Charlie, Chip, and Steve were rushed to the emergency room, the remaining members of the group walked down the runway to the hospital. Reporters shouted questions while locals clapped and yelled their approval. They waved but remained silent as they walked straight to the waiting room.

Family members were waiting for them when they entered. It was an extremely joyous reunion.

"Jason!" cried Lisa as she rushed into her husband's arms and kissed him soundly. "I knew you'd be the difference. You brought them back! I'm so proud of you, of all of you that made that trip!"

Meanwhile, Paula was carefully examining Ted's bandaged arm."Ted, you're the best husband and father in the world! Look what you went through for your girls. How badly is your arm hurt? We need to get you checked by a doctor. I almost fainted when Lisa said you'd been shot."

William Patterson was busy shaking hands with the men and hugging the women that had made the journey. "Jared! What a good friend you are to Steve and Gwen. Billy, you're the best kind of friend Steve could have. Thanks, Coach, for keeping an eye on these kids and for bringing them back!"

Jared's parents, Billy's parents, Charlotte's mom, Ashley, and Naomi's parents, along with the rest of Paula's family, were equally enthusiastic in their greetings and praise of the group.

Gwen, because of her fame and her generosity to the hospital, and the fact that she was entering her third year of medical school in the fall, was able to be in the operating room with Steve. She maintained her composure as Steve's injuries were treated and his arm set. His lung had been punctured by a broken rib. That required some delicate surgery, but Gwen had quickly determined that the attending doctors were very capable and she felt confident that Steve would make a complete recovery.

Kate made Charlotte promise to watch over Chip during his surgery. She paced around the small waiting room near the OR as she waited for word on Chip's condition. It was a couple hours later that Charlotte came into the room smiling.

"He's doing fine! His leg was badly broken from the bullet, but these doctors are incredible! They said he'll probably be walking without even a limp in less than a year! His shoulder was torn up some, but again, the doctors think he'll make a full recovery. He'll be out of it for a few more hours, so maybe you should go home and get some rest, and some clean clothes."

"Oh, Charlotte! Thanks so much! I can't go home now. I want to be here when Chip wakes up. Will they let me sit with him?" asked Kate.

"Here's what we're going to do," stated Gwen as she came through the doorway. "Steve came through the surgery fine, but it'll be a few hours before he wakes up. I'm sure it's the same for Chip. I know how you feel, Kate, but we need to eat something and get cleaned up. Now that the worst is over, my stomach is screaming at me. Let's slip into Billy's and get some real food. Then we'll go home, shower and change into something nice so when our guys come around, they'll see what beautiful, loving women they have."

Gwen led the way as they went to the main waiting room to find family and friends waiting. Gwen anticipated their questions and quickly announced, "The guys had successful surgery. It'll be hours before they come around and we need to eat and get cleaned up. Let's get over to Billy's and get some real food."

"I'm all for it, but there's a hundred reporters outside waiting for answers to their questions," responded Paula. "I think you're going to have to speak to them before we can go eat."

Gwen nodded to her mother, squared her shoulders, and walked out to where the press had set up. Questions were immediately thrown at her from every direction.

"Allow me a statement that may answer some of your questions. Steve and I are blessed with friends and relatives that are willing to risk injury, and even death, to help us. These friends and relatives traveled to Iraq with my sister, Kate, and me to find Steve and Chip Martin bring them home.

"I have not been able to speak with Steve yet, as he's been unconscious since we found him earlier this morning in a cave on a hill in Iraq. It's unclear to me at this time, exactly what role the state department played in getting Steve to exchange himself for those children. It was not handled properly. Of that, I am certain. I will make the time and effort to determine why and how this happened.

"I need to be very clear on this next point. None of us, and especially not Steve, will ever be exchanged for any ransom demands, regardless of who's being held captive. It's counterproductive and simply encourages and rewards the kidnapping and the killing of innocents. My advice is to leave dangerous areas, definitely do not take children to those areas, and never think that anyone from my family, or Lady in Red Productions, will ever pay any sort of ransom. Don't even ask!

"Get a job in a safe place if you don't want to risk the consequences of your decisions and actions. Do not look to me, my family, my friends, or my company to negotiate with terrorists, because we will never do that!

"As near as I can tell, Steve was rescued from the terrorists by his friend and fellow SEAL, Chip Martin, who was badly injured and also had to undergo extensive surgery for life threatening injuries to his shoulder and leg. He's expected to make a full recovery. I'm unable to express my gratitude to this brave man. I'll leave that chore to my sister Kate!

"Steve underwent surgery for a badly broken left arm, a punctured lung, broken ribs, as well as numerous bruises, cuts, and abrasions caused by brutal beatings. His hands were still cuffed behind his back when we found him! But, he's expected to recover fully.

"You cannot imagine the ordeal these two incredibly brave men went through. We haven't been able to speak with them yet, but I'm sure they'll downplay the suffering and pain they endured. That's the kind of men they are.

"I have to thank my father, Ted Anderson, for going with us, fighting for us, and being a father we can be extremely proud of. He suffered a bullet wound to his arm, but he's doing very well. My sister's wonderful husband, Ranger Captain Jason Hunter, took the lead in the dangerous parts of the journey and kept us safe. Lieutenant Jared White, Billy Marsh, and Coach Watkins went with us, and fought to keep us safe. My very good friends, Naomi, Charlotte, and Doctor Laura Masters accompanied us and were a tremendous help. Jordan Quick, a person that I love with all of my heart, and her fiancé Charlie Burns, never wavered in their support. Charlie was injured by a bullet that dug a groove in his head, but he's already doing much better, thank God.

"Finally, I have to thank everyone that came to Sparta on their bikes and in their cars to show their support for Steve. These people are our friends and we welcome them! Food and drink will be made available to them by Lady in Red Productions for as long as they're in Sparta. Bathrooms, showers, and lockers will be accessible for them at our performing arts center. We thank to all of you that kept Steve in your thoughts over the past couple of weeks!"

"How was it that you and your friends were able to find Steve when all of the resources of the United States government failed?" called a reporter from a major network.

"That's the question, isn't it?" replied Gwen seriously. "Was it because my friends and I truly wanted to find Steve and help him? We received most of our intelligence from sources in the military. They believed the terrorists would be about a hundred miles north of Baghdad and they were right. But our sources told us that the military was not involved in the search for Steve and his abductors. It wasn't for lack of desire. We understand that our fighting men and women in Iraq wanted very much to assist in finding Steve.

"You need to ask questions of the state department and the administration. Who insisted Steve go to Iraq? Who decided to have him meet with the parents of the kids that were kidnapped? Who was in command of the search and rescue efforts, if there were any? Get the answers to those questions and go from there!"

"Did you go to Iraq to improve your chances of being elected to Congress? It seems like you're running for that office pretty hard," asked another man from a cable news channel.

"You, Sir, are an ass!" replied Gwen hotly. "I don't give a damn about votes. I'm not running for anything. How deep do you think this conspiracy went? Did we get those kids abducted for votes? Did we risk Steve's life for votes? Did Charlie and Dad get wounded to help get votes? I love Steve. My friends and family love Steve, and they love me. Our actions were out of love, and for no other reason! To suggest otherwise reflects poorly on you, not on me, my friends, or my relatives! That will be all for now."

Ten minutes later, Gwen and her entourage entered Marsh's Landing. The place was teeming with patrons. There were tourists and locals, as well some of the bikers that had made the trip to honor Steve. The room went silent as soon as Gwen was recognized. She smiled and greeted people she knew.

"Bob, Mary! It's great to see you. Your kids are adorable! Mrs. Williams, your grandkids are growing up so fast. Thanks for the kind words, Pamela. He's recovering. I'm going back to the hospital as soon as I eat something to eat and get cleaned up. I'm flattered that you'd vote for me. I won't be campaigning in any way. I'm far too busy, and much too jaded to be part of that circus."

William Patterson stood back and marveled at the way patrons reacted to Gwen as she made her way to the private room they would be using. It was obvious that she was loved and respected by the people of Sparta, and that the feelings were reciprocated by Gwen. Jordan and Kate spoke with many of the diners as well, but Gwen appeared to be the focal point of the public's attention and admiration.

The girls left a sea of smiling faces behind them as she slowly made their way through the room. Ted was the subject of a lot of comments and observations as he proudly walked alongside Paula. His bandaged arm told the story of how his trip to Iraq had gone.

When they were finally settled around their table, William Patterson gave voice to his observations. "Gwen, you'll easily be elected to congress. I've never seen anyone given as much love and respect as these people feel for you. Add in the quality of your family and friends, especially Jordan and Steve, and you're pure gold in this town, and state."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.