Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior) - Cover

Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior)

Copyright© 2014 by Harddaysknight

Chapter 2

"I remember how upset you were when you entered the hotel that day in New York," recalled Lisa. "Luckily, just about an hour before you arrived, Steve had explained to all of us exactly where the bear crapped in the woods."

"It was everything I could do just to get Gwen to leave the cab," added Charlotte. "I had never seen her so depressed and upset. I was pretty worried about her mental state."

"I was a mess when Charlotte finally convinced me that I had responsibilities to the company, our investors, and to my family and friends. I was scared to death when I reached the hotel. I didn't know what to expect," admitted Gwen as her memory of the events of that weekend came flooding back.

"Come on, Gwen! You're a big girl and you're obligated to do this. A lover's spat is not more important that all the people that depend on you. You can cry and whine after we're done," insisted Charlotte as she practically dragged Gwen into the hotel.

Gwen reluctantly allowed Charlotte to lead her inside, but she dreaded meeting her family, friends, and especially Steve. She was just inside the door when Lisa hurried up to her and wrapped her arms around her in a warm embrace.

"Lisa, I'm so sorry," began Gwen before Lisa cut her off.

"Yeah, yeah. You're sorry. We don't have time Gwen. I have your clothes laid out and a small team of beauty experts is waiting to fix your face, hair and nails. We need to get a move on. Both of you need to come with me now!" insisted Lisa as she led the two girls to the elevators.

"There was some concern about all of us missing the premiere if we waited at the hotel until you were ready, so everyone else has gone ahead. They're waiting in limos down the street from the premiere so they can't be delayed by traffic or any other issue. I promised everyone that I'd wait for you two and do my best to get you there on time. Now get those clothes off and let these ladies work their magic. We have less than an hour!"

Gwen was relieved that everyone had already left, at least until she considered the situation more thoroughly. The first time she'd see Steve and Nadiya would be at the premiere, possibly on the red carpet, or very close to it. Photographers would be everywhere. Would she be able to hold it together when she saw Steve with Nadiya?

Thinking it all over, Gwen decided that she had been foolish long enough. She had to accept her situation like an adult and uphold her obligations. Being self centered and childish was what had placed in her miserable situation. No more pathetic scenes in front of hundreds of cameras for her. She'd even wish Nadiya well when she saw her!

Lisa kept constant pressure on the people getting Gwen prepared for the evening's events. She managed to lead Gwen and Charlotte to their waiting limo only a few minutes later than she'd hoped.

"This reminds me of a year ago when I spent so much time helping you get ready for your first date. I even loaned you my red dress. To think it was the start of the famous "Lady in Red" production company, music, movies, TV shows, concerts, and one of the greatest romances of modern times. I have to pat myself on the back," laughed Lisa. "I'm so proud of you, Gwen, I'm almost bursting. You and Steve have accomplished so much in such a short time and you've been so good for the rest of us. Now I have a great boyfriend that I never would've even met if it hadn't been for you."

"Oh, Lisa! You're showing me how foolish I've been! You're a great sister, and a better friend. I'm sorry I let you down last night. I just hope I didn't ruin everything for our company and for everyone that depends on us," Gwen somehow managed to express without breaking into tears and destroying her make-up.

"Gwen, you didn't ruin anything. That boyfriend of yours is not your average dumb jock. You must know that you can't make him not love you. Trust him always, and above all others. He'll never hurt you. You're very lucky, as well as talented and beautiful!

"I just got a text from Mom that they've begun walking the red carpet," announced Lisa as she looked at her phone. "You're a star and you're scheduled to arrive last. Jordan will be with Charlie. Steve and Nadiya will be right behind them. You've been selected to have top billing and to enter last."

"Will Steve and Nadiya be gone when I get out of the limo? I don't know if I'll be able to hold up if they're very close," confessed Gwen. "I'm determined to keep it together, but I might get emotional."

"I'm sure that you will," grinned Lisa as the limo slowed down and pulled in behind another one just like it. "Look! We're on time! Steve and Nadiya are just getting out of their car. Give them a couple minutes and then we'll follow. This is awfully exciting for me!

"I'm supposed to show you this text message just before you step onto the carpet. I guess we'll get to see what kind of an actress you really are," grinned Lisa as she held her phone up for Gwen to read.

Gwen worked to quell the butterflies in her stomach as she contemplated what the next few minutes held. It would be interesting, at the very least. The driver opened the door and Lisa gracefully swung out and stood, followed by Charlotte. They both walked ahead a short distance and were quickly joined by Jason and Billy, who seemed to materialize from nowhere. The two couples waited for Gwen to emerge. The crowd cheered and whistled when Gwen appeared from inside the limo. She smiled and waved as dozens of cameras flashed around her. She followed Lisa, Jason, Charlotte, and Billy as they began walking toward the theater entrance.

A short distance in front of her, Gwen saw Steve and Naydia answering questions posed by Amber Stahl. Cameras seemed to be were everywhere. People called to Gwen. A couple of reporters tried to get her to stop for a quick interview. Gwen held her head high and ignored pleas from the press as she rapidly approached Steve.

He was dressed in his uniform and looked even more handsome than she remembered. Nadiya was radiant in a blue dress that exposed a great deal of her ample cleavage. They looked like such a happy couple, at least until they saw Gwen approach.

Paula, Ted, and the rest of the Anderson family and friends had already entered the building and were watching Gwen's grand entrance on a large TV screen in a private room.

"Mom! It looks like Gwen's headed right for Steve and Nadiya! Do you think she's going to make a scene? I knew we should have called her and explained that Steve wasn't all mad at her. Why wouldn't he let us call her, anyway?" worried Kate as she watched events unfold outside on the red carpet.

Paula gripped Ted's arm as she watched her middle daughter approach Steve and his very attractive companion. She had been present, along with the rest of the group, earlier at the hotel when Steve, for the first time since she had met him, revealed his annoyance almost to the point of anger at Gwen's family and friends. It had taken her and Ted, as well as everyone else, completely by surprise.

"Wow!" Jordan had exclaimed seconds after Steve marched from the room leaving everyone with open mouths and stunned expressions. "Steve sure didn't leave any room for doubt about how he felt! I wonder if Gwen has any idea just what she has with that guy. That was amazing."

"That pretty well shot down any hopes you hussies had about Steve, didn't it?" remarked Kate as she spoke to the other girls in the room. "It looks like my sister's still on the top of his very short list of girl friend material, and I'm sure that I'm number two."

"I didn't hear anything about you being number two," revealed Becky. "But there's no doubt that Gwen's number one. That was so romantic, and a little scary. I never saw Steve upset before."

"He never heard anyone speak poorly of Gwen before," observed Paula as she worked to regain her composure. "He really let us have it, didn't he?"

Now Gwen was on the red carpet and headed directly toward Steve! Paula recognized the set of Gwen's chin and the determined look on her face. She was not in a conciliatory mood by any stretch of the imagination. Steve had refused to let anyone call Gwen and explain that he wasn't upset with her, and that the kiss with Nadiya was a publicity thing.

"This doesn't look good," worried Paula as Steve finally noticed Gwen and gave her a big smile. Gwen stepped up close and looked long and hard at Steve before turning her attention to stare at Nadiya.

Charlotte and Lisa quickly entered the private room and hurried over to watch the big screen. "This is going to be so cool!" exclaimed Lisa as she turned her attention to the confrontation just outside the theater.

"Gwen, can I ask a few questions?" began Amber as she took in the tension and did her best to distract Gwen. "How does it feel..."

Amber stopped in mid sentence as Gwen's hand flashed upward and struck Steve on the cheek with a loud crack! Paula felt her heart stop as she watched her daughter vent her anger in front of hundreds of people, not to mention the many fans that would view it on TV and YouTube. She just knew that Steve should have spoken with Gwen before it came to this!

Gwen barely had time to withdraw her hand before Steve grabbed her wrist and twisted it behind her back. When Gwen attempted to bring her other hand around, Steve latched onto that just as quickly and pinned it behind her, forcing Gwen's breasts against his chest. She was completely helpless and totally under his control.

"God, I love you!" whispered Steve as he bent and kissed Gwen on the lips while firmly holding both of her hands behind her back.

"Oh!" gasped Paula as she watched the scene unfold. "Was this all planned? What do you know about it, Lisa?"

"I knew that Steve asked me to show Gwen a text where he wanted her to slap him when they first met. He told her to trust him and it would all work out," replied Lisa as a beaming Nadiya glided into the room.

"Is he still kissing her? She is so lucky to have such a man!" marveled Nadiya as she watched the monitor.

Amber Stahl had been with Gwen and Steve since it all started back in Sparta. She had struggled to find a gentle way to report that the couple appeared to be breaking up. She had felt the tension when Gwen approached Steve as he stood with the beautiful girl from the Ukraine. She was as stunned as everyone else when Gwen slapped Steve's face. His reaction was certainly not what she expected. Being a good reporter, she knew she had a story her viewers would want to see.

By the time Steve slowly raised his lips from Gwen's, Amber knew for certain that her friends' romance was far from broken. Steve slowly pulled back from Gwen as the crowd roared its approval.

"Is it safe to assume that you two are back together?" asked Amber with a huge smile.

"I haven't decided yet," replied Steve with a serious face. "Ask me once the weekend is over. I should know by then."

"You should know by then?" repeated Gwen with passion. "Free my hands right now and I'll make up your mind for you!"

"I think I'll keep you just like this. You can't get into any trouble this way," laughed Steve as he pulled Gwen tighter to his chest.

"Officers in the US Navy hold girls against their will? Just because you're big and strong and I'm just a little girl, am I supposed to be at your mercy? Do you expect me to apologize and beg you to let me go?"

"That's exactly how it works!" agreed Steve as he once again kissed Gwen's lips. For her part, Gwen closed her eyes and moaned audibly as she returned Steve's ardor.

"Well folks, you'll have to decide if this couple is back together, if Steve's taking advantage of Gwen, or if it's the other way around. Do you have anything to add, either of you?"

"I certainly won't apologize as long as he's holding me like this," promised Gwen. "If an apology's what it takes to be set free from this big, forceful Midshipman, then he'll just have to hold me all weekend. Personally, I don't think he can last that long!"

"On that note, we'll say goodnight from New York City!" quipped Amber as she faced the camera. "Thanks for watching!"

Steve turned Gwen lose as soon as Amber indicated she had stopped videoing their actions. He placed his arm around Gwen's waist and led her inside. Gwen's family and friends rushed to her as she entered the private room.

"Sis! That was so cool! You really know how to be a star," praised Kate as she hugged her sister. "You're the best sister ever."

"You aren't angry with me for that stupid Jack Timberline fiasco last night?" asked Gwen as she looked around at her mother, Lisa, Jordan, Charlotte and her other friends. "Why's everyone being so nice to me? I thought you were all pissed at my antics with that jackass."

"Steve had a little 'come to Jesus' talk with us earlier this afternoon," replied Jordan as she hugged Gwen. "We were wrong to treat you like we did. I hope you can forgive me for being so judgmental. You're a sister to me."

"Steve simply reminded all of us about the amazing things you've done for so many people over the last year," added Paula in response to Gwen's confusion. "We were all getting a little down on you for last night and Steve expressed his displeasure about our less than understanding positions on the matter. I, for one, will never make the mistake of complaining about you in front of Steve again."

"That pretty well goes for all of us," agreed Lisa. "You're a wonderful person, a great sister, singer, actress, and girlfriend, or so Steve claims. You've done so much to earn our respect and love, and we'd pretty much forgotten it."

"So it was you that straightened out this angry mob? I still owe you an apology, Steve. I was absolutely wrong. I embarrassed myself and you. It'll never happen again."

"Why didn't you just call me and let me know what really happened?" asked Steve as he held Gwen. "If you had explained it to me, we could've moved past it without everyone being so upset."

"I was afraid that you'd refuse to talk to me, or worse, dump me over the phone. I thought I'd see you in person and beg you to forgive me. That was my whole plan. If you weren't angry, why didn't you call me? Even if you were upset, you could've called. I was sick with guilt," answered Gwen softly.

"I woke up this morning around three AM California time. I checked my email and had lots of stuff about the game. Then I read a couple messages about you and Jack Timberline, so I surfed the web and found pictures of the two of you pretty quickly. I was afraid that you might be dumping me, at least until I spoke with Naomi on the flight up from Washington. She told me about how she had called you last night and how badly you felt. By the time we landed in New York, your flight was in the air, so I couldn't call you. Then Naomi, Nadiya and I cooked up a scheme to lessen the sting of your smooch with that damn Timberline. I thought you'd be more believable if you still believed that Nadiya and I had something going."

"Let me guess. Kissing Nadiya in Times Square with hundreds of photographers watching was somehow part of your master plan," stated Gwen with little conviction. "It's not like you to think revenge was the way to solve a problem? Were you trying to get even?"

"Gwen, you'd better listen before you make accusations," warned Nadiya. "Naomi was the one that came up with the idea. We just refined it. You had already kissed Timberline. The photos were all over the internet. People were bound to think he was your new boyfriend. Or worse yet, they'd think that he was your new lover, regardless of how innocent it may have been."

"I just suggested that we needed to find a way to make it look like it was a planned publicity stunt, rather than a fall from grace by the biggest star in the country" chipped in Naomi. "It became a bit convoluted. I suggested that the only way we could convince the public that it was a planned publicity stunt was for Steve to misbehave, too. I joked that he'd probably have to kiss some attractive black girl to get even."

"We realized that Naomi had a pretty good idea, even if it was said in jest," continued Steve. "I didn't feel it would work very well for us at the Academy if I was photographed kissing Naomi. We study a lot together and people are already asking if we have something going on. It would have complicated things for us."

"I volunteered!" admitted a grinning Nadiya. "I am your very good friend and was willing to suffer the embarrassment of being dumped by my big, strong American boyfriend after just one or two kisses so he could get back together with his true love."

"That's why Steve asked you to slap his face when you first met him tonight. There's been a lot of press the last couple days about the big scene in your movie where you slapped this guy silly, and how he took his horrible revenge on you," smirked Naomi.

"Everyone's been looking forward to watching that scene tonight. I know that I am. When everyone sees the similarities between the slap you gave Steve tonight and the movie scene, they'll also wonder if you both kissing others was part of a promotion plan for the movie. Once that seed is planted, it'll grow pretty fast. Your dalliance with Timberline will be labeled a publicity stunt. You'll have your honor intact and so will Steve."

Gwen was shaking her head in wonder as she listened to her friends reveal their Machiavellian-like plot. "I don't know what to say! I guess I need to thank Nadiya for kissing Steve so well in public. I know how hard that it must have been."

"It was very hard! Does it get that way when he kisses you, too?" laughed Nadiya as she returned Gwen's embrace.

"Okay!" groaned Paula as she glanced at Kate and saw her grinning from ear to ear. "Let's get moving. We're wanted in the theater now. The movie will start in a few minutes. The stars are expected to be there, enjoying the devil out of the movie. Let's see if we can avoid any more surprises tonight and have a good time. We want this movie to do well."

"That was our first movie," recalled Gwen as she chatted with Steve's grandmother while patrons of Marsh's Landing listened to her every word. "It was five years ago, but it seems like yesterday. That movie wound up grossing over $300 million and putting over $200 million in Lady in Red Productions' coffers. There's still a few million in residuals trickling in from it every year, mostly from TV broadcasts and rentals."

"Mom got pretty busy pretty fast. She did an amazing job getting the hospital started on the new building as quickly as possible. She invested in a hundred acres of land west of town, then had the recording studios and sets for movies and TV shows built. She's really managed the finances well."

"I did have a lot of guidance from some pretty savvy people, like William Patterson and Clyde Davis," added Paula quickly. "The economy of Sparta received a real shot in the arm, first with all the construction projects and then with the skilled labor needed for the hospital and the production facilities. That's just one of the many positive accomplishments of this amazing journey your grandson has taken us all on."

"According to Steve, it never would've happened without Gwen, Jordan, and your family's support," countered Beatrice Patterson. "He feels that he is a very fortunate man to have stumbled upon a woman like Gwen, a friend like Jordan, and a family like the Andersons. To be quite honest, I agree with him completely."

"Yeah, he's a lucky guy," agreed Kate as she pointed to a picture and smiled."Look at this one. It's Steve and me at the party after the movie premiere in New York. That was a pretty good premiere, but I've been to better."

"I do have to ask about the little meeting Steve had with everyone before Gwen arrived. You have alluded to it being a defining moment, but I haven't heard any particulars and you have me curious," admitted Steve's grandmother.

Paula chose to answer this question. "We'd all been shocked when we saw the pictures of Gwen with Timberline. Each one of us felt that Steve had been betrayed, and by association, so had the rest of us. We were upset with Gwen's behavior and took every opportunity to point it out to Steve.

"We were all gathered in a private room to sort out the order we'd be walking up the red carpet. I admit that I made the final remark that broke the camel's back, so to speak. I wondered out loud just how we were going to treat Gwen when she made it to the premiere. Should we act like nothing happened, or should we show her our displeasure over her actions?

"I barely had the words leave my mouth when Steve stood up and looked at all of us with more than a little irritation before he started in quite sternly. I still remember his words as well as the depth of his emotions on the subject of Gwen!"

"Gwen's the reason we're all here! She saved my life at least twice. She's the brains and a lot of the talent behind any success we've had. She's busting her ass to become a doctor while doing as much work for our charities as she can. She's beautiful, really smart, extremely talented, and I love her.

"Understand this. I won't listen to another bad word about the most compassionate, caring, loving person I've ever met. If you can't treat her with the respect she's earned and deserves, I suggest that you stay away from me, because I won't tolerate it!"

"Oh, my! He didn't yell or threaten anyone? He just explained that he loved your daughter and he wouldn't listen to any negative remarks?" quizzed Mrs. Patterson.

"I guess you had to be there," responded Jordan. "He didn't yell, but he was so cold and measured that we could tell he was very upset. We'd been trying to show support for him by complaining about Gwen. We quickly realized what a bad idea that was! If we want to support Steve, we have to support Gwen. His happiness is tied to Gwen's. We can't separate them and pretend that anything bad that happens to Gwen, or is done by Gwen, doesn't affect him. It does ... a lot!"

"Okay, so Steve was a little pissed, but he got over it," broke in Kate. "You should see the pictures from the next movie and the premiere. We were all in it!"

"You're getting ahead of yourself," cautioned Lisa. "Those pictures will come later. Here are some from the L.A. premiere the next night and our first big motorcycle ride the following day, which was Sunday."

"The movie had a huge opening that Labor Day weekend," smiled Paula proudly. "We couldn't believe it when Clyde told us the numbers. Papers, television, and the internet were all talking about the movie, the incredible soundtrack, and especially the very hot love scenes Jordan and Gwen had with Steve.

"The fact that Jordan and Charlie appeared on the morning news show that Friday to perform the new song they wrote for the network's football broadcasts sure didn't hurt. Her 'Maxim' issue came out that day and was a huge success. They printed an extra ten thousand issues and it still sold out, like Gwen's did!" boasted Paula. "Jordan and Charlie had written the number one song in the country at the time in 'Midnight Lights', while Gwen sang it, plus a great opening song for football on CBC. They had the promotion part in high gear when the movie came out. I found out later that they considered asking Jordan to kiss Steve, rather than Nadiya, but Steve felt that Charlie and Jordan had already done enough, and he didn't want to 'disrespect' Charlie."

"By the time we made it back to the hotel that Friday night, I was exhausted," recalled Gwen. "I'd slept very little the night before because I was so worried about how Steve would react to my stupid stunt. I will tell you that by the next morning Steve had totally convinced me that he wasn't angry at me. The flight back to California was much more enjoyable than the one coming east. I snuggled with Steve the whole way.

"Clyde wanted us to think outside the box for the L.A. premiere. Jordan came up with the idea of arriving on motorcycles. We'd been planning on touring up the Pacific Coast Highway the next day on motorcycles, so we simply rode them to the premiere," recalled Gwen. "Instead of gowns, we ladies wore leather pants and leather halter tops. The guys had leather jackets, tight jeans and tight shirts. The crowd loved it!"

"That was an amazing weekend," sighed Lisa as she thought back to that first premiere in L.A. "Jason had been driving motorcycles for years, so he fit right in. By the time we landed in L.A. from New York, the press had pretty much decided that Steve and Gwen had never broken up, and the kissing was all done for the publicity. That really relieved the stress factor that we had been feeling. We all learned a valuable lesson about the depth of Steve's feelings for Gwen and what he required from us when we spoke to her, or about her."

"And I learned that I had a lot of maturing to do if I was going to live up to Steve's expectations," admitted Gwen. "I'd dodged a bullet with that Timberline incident and I promised myself that I'd never be in an embarrassing, degrading position like that again. Steve deserved much better, and I was going to see that he got it!"

"Our arrival on motorcycles turned out quite well," continued Jordan. "By that time, the movie had been released for just a day and it was becoming a huge hit. Our love scenes were a hot topic, but we also had a pretty solid all around movie with some great songs and performances. I'm still very proud of it, five years later."

"Yeah, the public loved our young, hip approach to the premiere thing and especially the way we were dressed. I don't know how Jordan kept her girls in that little leather top she had on, but she looked great, as you can see in this picture. She was all over the papers and internet the next day. Plus her issue of 'Maxim' had come out that weekend and it was a huge success. We knew she was beautiful and talented, but we didn't realize that she was just beginning to hit her stride. She's had some amazing accomplishments since that movie. I'm so proud to have her as a friend, and sister," stated Gwen as she beamed at Jordan.

"It was a great time, but our trip up the coast over the next two days is what stands out in my memory," recalled Charlotte during a lull in the conversation. "Steve and Gwen, Charlie and Jordan, Lisa and Jason, and Billy and I climbed on four Harleys early Sunday morning and headed north. The scenery was amazing once we got out of L.A.

"A couple of TV stations found out we were riding back to Stanford and reported our progress. It was picked up on the internet and social media. After we were on the road for a couple hours, we started finding people standing along the streets, waving to us and taking pictures. Then other bikers began joining up with us. This picture of us going through Half Moon Bay is my favorite. You can see bikers lined up for a mile or so."

"That was some trip," agreed Kate. "Dad rented an SUV and we followed my sisters and their friends to Stanford. Becky, Ashley, Stephanie and I got to ride on the bikes for a few hours. We just traded with Gwen, Jordan, Charlotte, and Lisa. I guess all of us girls got hooked on big bikes and the men that ride them on that trip."

"We camped at Big Sur the first night and it was beautiful," reminisced Lisa. "Our camp site was under some huge evergreen trees. We rented tents and air mattresses and slept under the stars. Remember that night, Gwen?"

Gwen gave her sister a big smile as she thought back about that night and how much she enjoyed the weekend.

"I think we need to pitch Gwen's tent way out in the woods," suggested Kate as the group started setting up camp. "Remember Russia and how loud she was there? What about Charlotte? She sounds like some kind of big cat when she gets cranked up. Mountain lions will probably be pouring down from the hills. Lisa is only a little better. Jordan's pretty quiet, which may not be a compliment for Charlie, at least if volume is proportional to pleasure. Even Mom and Dad get noisy at times. Stephanie and I are sharing a tent, as are Ashley and Becky. Everyone needs to remember how we don't have any hunky guys with us, so show some mercy and keep the appreciation as muted as possible."

"I don't care what you say," laughed Gwen. "I haven't seen this guy for weeks and I'm going to enjoy every minute I can with him and that may include some caterwauling, as Mom calls it. Maybe you need to pitch your tent out in the woods if we all bother you so much."

"I'm not going out in those woods!" declared Kate immediately. "Stephanie and I could get eaten by a bear, while you're getting eaten by..."

"Kate!" cautioned Paula. "Don't say it. You shouldn't even be thinking it. We're adults here and will behave as such. Won't we, Gwen?"

"I sure plan on enjoying adult activities," agreed Gwen with a big smile. "I just hope Dad doesn't wind you up like he did in Russia. That would be embarrassing."

"I've been staying out of this conversation. It doesn't seem like my own daughter would be making accusations about her dad like that. Steve, Charlie, Billy, and Jason haven't said a word during this little debate. Do you know why that is?"

"Because they know they're going to be very lucky tonight and don't want to say anything stupid to ruin it?" asked Charlotte with a smirk.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.