The Investigators
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Day 17

For Eddie the day began with a shower while May continued to sleep through the sound of running water. She also slept through the sound of his rummaging around his back pack for clean clothes.

Eddie: If we hope to get home by noon, you are going to have to vacate the bed and occupy the bathroom. You aren't exactly a model of efficiency are you now?

May: (eyes still closed) No, but the results are worth it.

Eddie: You got me there. I don't dare dispute that. But you still have to begin. I am going to walk across to the restaurant for coffee. You can join me when you are ready.

May: You are not going to be the gentleman and bring coffee back for me?

Eddie: May honey, I can drink three cups, before you finish in the shower.

May: I like that.

Eddie: What?

May: The May Honey.

Eddie: (obviously embarrassed) That was a fatherly honey.

May: Boss, I'm just pulling your chain.


Wes and Salina began their day in an only slightly different manner. Salina was up and dressed without a shower. She and Wes began a power walk since the neighborhood with the downtown B&B was much safer than her neighborhood at home.

They returned showered, dressed, and made it into the restaurant just about the same time May entered the restaurant in the parking lot of the Motel 8.

Wes and Salina had a few more miles to navigate in order to get home, but Wes was a much faster driver. They both ate slowly but efficiently. They were ready to leave in well under an hour.


Mike was awake and walking around the garage. He saw his new scooter, his mothers mid size sedan, and his bike with the bent front wheel. He knew the old adage was true. He knew he had to get back on after his fall, but he was not going to get back on that bike. He had until noon, so he was going shopping for a new bike.

After he ate breakfast with his mother, he rode the scooter to work. When he arrived, he logged his personal tablet into the office WiFi, then began researching Craig's List for a bicycle. What he looked for was one either close to his house in the suburbs or a bike close to the office.

The one he found was a 12 speed road bike that the owner claimed had been garage stored at his father's house college. Well over ten years. When his parents had demanded he clean out his personal items, he carried the bike to his downtown apartment. It finally became obvious he would never ride it again.

Mike was up to riding his old bike ten miles, so he figured he could get the bike from downtown to his house about fifteen miles away. He might have to stop for a coke break, but he should be able to do it. He could get one of the guys to drive him to the seller's apartment after work. His best guess was two hours to get it home the fifteen miles. That was with a lot of stop and go. He also had no idea how his injuries would affect him.

Since no one was about the office, and everyone was paranoid about the phones, he just left. He rode the scooter over to take a look. The bike was nothing special but clean and it was for sale. It also had the advantage of being in the right area, so Mike bought it.

The owner was in such a tizzy for the sale to go through he put the bike in his SUV and followed Mike to his house. Mike rolled it into the garage, paid the man then rode his scooter back to work. Even after all that shucking and jiving he got back to work before anyone arrived from their road trips. Lucille had called with a message for him to return the call.

Mike: Lucille what can I do for you.

Lucille: Where were you? We have agents in the field and you should be at your desk. You are our relay point.

Mike: Lucille they are both on the road driving. No one trusts our network so they are out of contact.

Lucille: Yeah I get that. You still need to stay around your desk in case of an emergency.

Mike: I had the ghost cell phone with me. I wasn't out of touch. It is what we all are using to communicate.

Lucille: This is not up for discussion. Be at your desk from 8:30 till 5:00. Do you understand?

Mike: Yes Ma'am, I get it.

Lucille: Good have them call me when they are all assembled. We need to have a meeting. By the way, that was good work you did on compiling a probable location for Rose Seabold.

Mike: I'm almost 100% sure she is there.

Lucille: Just so you know that information is very sensitive. After what happened to you, you should realize that her life could be in danger. We need to get to her and get her into protective custody before the bad guys do.

Mike: Looked at his computer and had a fleeting thought. What if we are the bad guys? He had no idea what his information was going to be used for. He hadn't even considered that the information might go to the wrong people. Shit, he needed to talk to Wes badly.

He spent the small amount of morning left worrying about what he had done. He realized then that the NSA had computers that could have done the same things he had done, if they had been looking. If it were a race they would have already won. The only explanation was that the NSA was not on the case.

So was it the legendary Wilson, the hacker for Swamp Dog? He wouldn't need to hack her would he? More questions without answers. Mike needed to talk to Wes, and maybe even the boss to decide on his next move. He put his personal tablet online using the office WiFi. He figured it was okay since all he wanted was to play a game. He played a combat game which most likely would have turned Wes' stomach. Well, not that so much as it most likely would have infuriated him.

At the sound of a car in the parking deck, he killed the game. Mike didn't kill the connection to the net. He went instead to the weather channel's forecast. The warming and sunshine was all over the screen when Wes and Salina entered the office.

Mike: Welcome home you two.

Salina: Thank you Mike. Now drop your pants.

Mike: I didn't realize you cared.

It had been a gamble. Wes would either smile or knock hell out of him. He was doubly happy to see Wes smile. He was happy to see Salina Smile as well, but to a lesser degree. She smiled because Mike had changed so much in the last month. One could see his confidence grow with the start of every new day.

Wes: We have a message for you from the waitress at the cafe. She said to tell you she misses you and you are still the best she ever had.

Mike: You are kidding, right?

Salina: Yes, we are kidding. We told her our friend Mike said hello. She asked who, so I had to say the chubby geek with the Yankee accent. She replied, 'oh him.' (Mike looked crush so she went on). Geese Mike I was kidding again. She said to say hi for her and she hoped you would come again soon.

Wes: I think she has some new tricks to teach you.

Mike: Okay, that's enough.

Salina: I wasn't kidding about dropping your pants. I want to see how that knee looks. (After she cleaned and redressed it.) Not bad, but you probably would heal faster if you stayed off that scooter.

Mike: So you are saying I shouldn't ride that new bike I bought.

Salina: Let your feelings guide you, but a few days off both of them couldn't hurt.

Wes took the company car out to McDonalds to load up on salads and chicken nuggets. Since they have pretty good coffee, he also loaded up on that as well.

While he was gone Eddie and May came in. May had a very happy and contented look. Mike was sure it didn't mean that she had sex with the boss, so he wondered who she did have sex with, or what else could make her glow.

Eddie: Mike how is the leg?

Mike: It's doing fine boss. I even bought another bike.

Eddie: Take it easy, we don't want a repeat of the last accident.

Mike: Right boss. (Then to May) Why are you looking so happy and contented?

May: When you travel with the boss, you get a lot of sleep. No bars and home by 9 PM. Next time I'm taking my car.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.